Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What are the best free dating sites out there?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 craig2th
Msg: 1
What are the best free dating sites out there?Page 1 of 1    
I don't drink so bars are out of the quest, I don't like to dance so clubs are out of the question (they aren't in my area even if I did like to), there is no single girls at my work, and I don't know of any single girls around me that I know in person. So the only choice I have left is to use dating sites.
(Like I could strike up a convo with a girl at a store, but you never know if she has a BF and I actually heard of guys going to jail just for striking up a convo with the wrong girl. (Like it happen a lot in the area I use to live in FL))

Anyways, I try POF and for a while and I'm not having no luck. I'm having the exact same problem as any other guy on those sites. Girls don't really message you, and no matter how many you message you may get 1 reply but if you reply back with any type of message you wont get anything back 99.999% of the time.

I have a free profile on Match.com but it seems like 99% of the people don't use their profile and since I made my profile a month back, I hadn't got a message. This leads me to believe hardly anyone in my area uses paid dating sites.

SO my question is, what is the best free dating sites out there?
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2
What are the best free dating sites out there?
Posted: 6/20/2012 8:00:25 PM
@OP

there aren't that many free sites and they are all basically the same.
I don't advise that you rely on dating sites (free or paying) to find a mate
there are few success stories and many dissapointments.
I don't know how old you are or where you live,
But you won't be young forever.
consider moving to a more cosmopolitan area where your chances of meeting someone will be much higher.
 windchymes
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 6:05:02 AM
To my knowledge, POF here is the only site that really lets you use it for free, and that's the reason I stay. The other ones claim "free", but that's only to post your profile and look at the other ones. If you want to actually send an email, you have to pay up. Or, if you receive an email, you have to pay up to be able to read it. And most of the emails you receive are actually from the site that they sent you so you'd pay up, thinking you'd received a real email from a potential date.

What was really comical with match.com is, I had a paid membership a couple of times, and would get nothing. Then, the very day after my membership expired, lo and behold, I'd get a notice that I had an email from someone. I fell for it the first time, paid again, then found that it was the site, with some drivel they'd sent. When I joined up by choice a couple of other times, the same thing happened, email notification the day after my membership expired. I don't go in there anymore.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/21/2012 6:08:48 AM
^^^ Dittoes to everything that windchymes said.
 Rokei57
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 3:49:29 PM
Datehookup is totally free
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 4:19:09 PM
Dating sites are like bars, or schools, or any other venue for mate-hunting. It's not the venue, it's the patrons that matter. And those change and ebb and flow.

That said, I like POF's forums the best (due to the participants, and the moderators). I like OK's question methodology the best. I've met nice people here and in other places, but no mate yet, so I keep looking everywhere.

You do know, that you can open and retain membership in as man sites as you want, you really don't need to care which is "the best" for you.
 vnufall
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/21/2012 5:46:39 PM
ok cupid is free and if you answer their questions...there are all kinds..religion, sex, politics, relationship etc its kinda fun to compare yourself to others. gives a good idea who your compatible with. pof tho...the forums are the best....for finding out all kinds of things...
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 6:33:15 PM
As was previously stated, there is .com and another option is Mingle2.com. Imo, they are both lousy for actually meeting someone to date but if I could only choose one, I would choose .
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 7:13:44 PM
I just saw my mention of got censored and removed. Let's see if this one gets removed.

There is a social site called Meetup dot. You can type in your city and find all kinds of social groups with varying interests. I've joined a few groups and have met some good friends because of it.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/23/2012 7:38:45 PM

Anyways, I try POF and for a while and I'm not having no luck. I'm having the exact same problem as any other guy on those sites. Girls don't really message you, and no matter how many you message you may get 1 reply but if you reply back with any type of message you wont get anything back 99.999% of the time.

So how is that the fault of the site?

99.999% do not reply because 99.999% are not interested, and it does not matter who you are or what site you use, those are the odds.
 funkster2050
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2012 8:56:25 AM
I've been trying a few, pof being one, but it's worth mentioning that there are some very good free dating sites if your search around for them. I joined flirthut.com recently and it's a pretty cool site but lacking a lot of ladies in my area. I like the idea though so I'll just wait patiently - joining more than one site should help my stats!
 RyanReed
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/2/2012 11:22:05 AM
is free. I haven't been on that site for a while, and I requent pof
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/14/2012 7:23:15 PM
When I actually was actively dating, I had better luck with okcupid ( I deleted my profile off there 5 months ago, because went through a breakup. I might try it again, when I feel like putting effort into dating again) You can search, post a profile, and email those you might be interested in.As one poster mentioned, it is free, and the questions are fun to answer, and gives you a better idea of who you might match with. POF is the best for forums, though.
 beechnut79
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2015 7:34:03 AM
Why would one go to jail just for striking up a convo? Sounds so ridiculous, maybe if the girl is a minor, but even then I wouldn't think anything could happen unless sexual proposition made. Will conduct some research on this one.
 beechnut79
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2015 7:36:29 AM
But often people are less friendly and less trusting in more cosmopolitan area even if the numerical odds are greater. I use to go to the lakefront beaches during the summer months, but am skeptical as if that would even work in this day and age thanks to all this mobile technology which wasn't in existence during my beachgoing heyday in the 1970s and early 1980s. Midway through the 1980s the AIDS scare hit and everything changed.
 professora
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 4:25:22 PM
dating sites offer a person more possibilities.

my 3 aunts all found themselves single -- 2 husbands left and one husband died.

These women were independently well off enough to not work, they looked good, were all about 5o years old. Did they meet anyone in the cosmopolitan areas? NO and there was no internet.

All three remained single with an occasional date. but a rare date. all died single and no long term boyfriends.

The internet is the best way to go if a person is relatively sharp and alert. No exchange of money etc

I work as a nurse (forever) and two nurses were killed by men they met the old fashioned way.

One was killed by another hospital worker---a physical therapist and one was killed by a boyfriend who she knew for a few years & who blugenoned her to death.
 professora
Msg: 17
view profile
History
phone app: Badoo
Posted: 7/21/2015 12:50:27 PM
-the app advertises --- "meet new people, post an account"

as always be careful.

I have not signed up as I don't know enough about it. I searched for a friend's name and he came up on this app

Cool--- especially since he said he is significant to the British MIA and cant be on internet searches!
 cotter
Msg: 18
view profile
History
phone app: Badoo
Posted: 7/21/2015 3:18:56 PM

... post an account

LMAO at all the people who keep calling a profile an "account" ... especially on a free dating site!

Next they'll ask for a refund ... from their free dating site "account"!

I've never paid to be on a dating site ... all I've ever had is a profile.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What are the best free dating sites out there?