Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Middle aged man, new Camaro      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Marksfishing
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Middle aged man, new CamaroPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
OK, I bought a new Camaro. I suppose when I meet someone it screams midlife crises, which it is. Would it be better to drive my clean but 6 year old truck for a first meeting or date?
Ladies, What do you think?
Men, how many of you dream of a sports car or bought one?
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 2
Middle aged man, new Camaro
Posted: 6/22/2012 4:29:10 AM
Go with the knew, not to impress any dates but for yourself.
Just got myself a convertible, fun to drive, like every minute of it.
Enjoy.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/22/2012 5:07:49 AM
Unless you're picking a woman up - which would make no sense the first few times you meet her and would only happen after you've known her a while anyway, I'm not sure why it matters. However, you should clean out your truck even if no one but you is sitting in it.
 TC2u
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 5:12:55 AM
My midlife will involve a motor home, not something I have to squeeze down into.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/22/2012 5:32:34 AM
bought me a corvette...and am thoroughly enjoying it.The ladies like it too..:-)
 MusicianInCanton
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/22/2012 5:44:46 AM
My car screams "practical", and that might tell a woman that I'm cheap (which I'm not), but my "fun" car is still a few years away. Enjoy some fun when you can, OP!
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/22/2012 5:57:44 AM
There was a thread on here not long ago where some guy said he showed up for a date in his old beater and the woman was lukewarm about sharing his company, so they parted ways. Next week he runs into her in a parking lot somewhere while he's driving his expensive new vehicle. Suddenly, she's perking up.

So there's that.

Then there are the other people who just don't care about cars all that much and whatever they're supposed to represent or prove. If you were asking me personally, I'd prefer the truck. But that's just cuz I'm a country bumpkin. I've owned sports cars. At this point they just don't interest me all that much.... too damn close to the ground. I like to see what I'm runnin' into and then be able to haul it away to get rid of the evidence, LOL. However, I certainly wouldn't turn up my hick nose at a '63 Corvette or a Porsche Boxter.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/22/2012 6:08:35 AM
Definately drive the pick up truck. Throw a mattress in the back too.
 KAKI3152
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 6:18:38 AM
Shoot buy a car because you like to drive it. I bought a used Porsche Boxster three years ago and have never regretted it. Some high maintenance bills but it drives like a dream.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 6:26:07 AM
Carmaro... very cool car.

On the reverse side, I drive a nice ford 250 4x4, I ride horses and pull a rather large horse trailer. Some thought it was strange, however my current bf has truck envy lol (its a really pretty truck lol)

There are jokes about guys that drive corvettes and lexus... (nothing personal to the guys that do) but never heard any about the Camaro :)
 windchymes
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 6:36:04 AM
Hey, you wanted the car and you were able to get the car, so drive the car! :) If one of your dates has a problem with that for one reason or another, isn't it better to know up front? I'm sure the overwhelming majority of women will enjoy riding in it, I know I would.

If they cry "midlife crisis", well, if the worst thing you do is buy a cool car, then go ahead and have the crisis, lol.
 Paderic
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/22/2012 6:46:43 AM
Just maintain a sense of humor about it. If you can laugh and acknowledge it's your midlife crisis, it doesn't scream something negative.

I have a 45 year old two seat convertible. I don't care what anyone thinks about it, I enjoy cruising around in it with the top down. I probably wouldn't pick up a date in it without letting her know beforehand, but that's only because it's a convertible. My pickup truck is kind of beat up and I haven't replaced my practical sedan yet, so at this point in time that's my only other option.

For a meet and greet, I've ridden the motorcycle. I don't have to worry about taking her anywhere.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 6:55:55 AM
Drive your car! I am a woman, and when I retire (I'll be ove age 60), I'm buying myself a Nissan 370Z convertible, unless something remarkable happens to me financially -- then I'm buying a Porsche Boxter convertible!

And if I get too senile to drive it, I have nieces who will soon be driving age, and they can drive me around!
 tbicon
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:17:48 AM
My opinion? Camaros are for the young who like to drive fast. At your age it does say middle aged crises. But who cares, its your car. Drive what you want. Having said that, i would have gone BMW. Depending on the model, it may or may not be faster, but it handles far better and has more class...imho.
 Marksfishing
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:52:29 AM
Thanks everyone. I feel like I'm 18.
 c_deacon
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 8:47:02 AM
Mid life hell......It just means that you can finally afford it.......lol

To often people mistake a mid life crisis as happening because you have a new car or motorcycle, boat, on and on, and have not looked behind the reasons for all that is there. It is much more about being able to afford what you want and buy, compared to what you think you need.

Many of us sacrificed decades to compromise for our family, occupations, homes, college funds, second homes, braces, special athletic camps, on and on and on, and left in the back ground those things we wanted for us. Once in a different place with the family grown, and vocations affording you many opportunities, we can play catch up and have those things that move us.

It is not about attracting younger women, or thinking that I am again in my 20's and 30's, but much more for me and what I want. So, since I rode bikes when young, I ride them again......since I had muscle cars and sports cars when in college, I can again if I choose, and none of this is for dating or attracting women, and all about enjoying the ride, the freedom, and feelings it gives me while doing that.....because I can.

cd
 Marksfishing
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 8:49:39 AM
It is midlife but Im only interested in women my generation.
 TheReason_
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 8:52:08 AM
When I got my journeyman ticket in my trade in 2003, it was my turn to get a new vehicle, so I treated myself to a car I always thought was kinda sweet. A brand new Celica. I had been saving for awhile, with the idea of getting a late 70's early 80's Porsche 911. But the I realized as a daily driver, a (at the time) 25 year old car just wasn't practical. The new one had full warranty, was brand new had all the modern conveniences etc. it was my first brand new car that I ever had in my whole life.

The wife loved it, it was good on gas, we had our minivan for the fam, kids & their friends. This car was for us when we went out somewhere. More of a toy than anything. At the time, a couple people said "Oooh midlife" I replied "dude, I'm 33. It's not midlife, it's just life." had a couple accidents, slid into a curb during a freak snowstorm (had summer tires on) $4,000 damage, and a couple years later a deer hit me, to the tune of $7,000 damage.

I still have the car, still love it, it's now just a nice summer day cruiser. I have my Dakota quadcab 4x4 for a daily driver, to pull my gear trailer etc etc. with the accidents, I MIGHT get $3,000 for it. It's just totally not worth selling. It has 75,000 miles on it, and you can eat off the engine, it's that clean. It's no Ferrari, but it's a fun summer toy. I might as well enjoy it!!

As the poster above said, we've spent years on family, making sure everyone was looked after, what's wrong with a little me time!!!

Enjoy it brother!!

Theres a saying:

"BMW, because we need to know who the a$$holes are."

Haha

;)
 Ready_Real
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/22/2012 9:07:28 AM
LOLOLOLOL: Speaking for the likes of me?

I'd be more thrilled if you showed up on your own two feet ---- and together we enjoyed this great gift called "self-propelled and totally environmentally friendly human mobility" all throughout our time together:)
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/22/2012 9:34:46 AM
There's definitely a plus side to becoming 'more mature'. And it's great that you can now afford to pamper yourself, so enjoy your vehicle....who cares what anyone else thinks.

Take the Camero hehe

I'd be more thrilled if you showed up on your own two feet ---- and together we enjoyed this great gift called "self-propelled and totally environmentally friendly human mobility" all throughout our time together

Your sense of humour is showing...*grins*

...mae
 SONNI100
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/22/2012 10:09:38 AM
Aah, just get in that nice a$$ camaro and go......
 c_deacon
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 10:14:16 AM
Come on Ready_Real.......how about a nice four wheeled drive suv that we can take on the back roads, park it, put on our hiking boots, and climb that 14,000 foot peak together.......the best of both worlds!!

cd
 Moonchild51
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 10:34:51 AM

Many of us sacrificed decades to compromise for our family, occupations, homes, college funds, second homes, braces, special athletic camps, on and on and on, and left in the back ground those things we wanted for us. Once in a different place with the family grown, and vocations affording you many opportunities, we can play catch up and have those things that move us.

^^ Exactly Mr. Deac! OP if you can afford it enjoy it. At this stage of life, why the heck not???? If someone wants to label as mid-life, old geezer syndrome, that's their issue not yours! Enjoy!
 DrummingNut
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/22/2012 10:49:11 AM
I don't think you have to put so much pre-thought into it, OP.. just drive which ever you feel like driving on that day.

I've had 5 brand new vehicles in my life.. and they're so much fun to drive!! Never did I think "I wonder what other's would think about this?"
Granted, the 'fanciest' (or whatever) was 'only' a Grand Prix. Twice.
Then there was the fully loaded Suburban... God I loved that truck!
(And it saved me from death when I was in that accident that put me in this chair)

Point is.. just enjoy it!!
 ladyc4
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/22/2012 12:59:46 PM
Frankly- I don't see how a Camaro would be that loud of a "midlife crisis" scream...
now, a Harley, a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, a 'Vette(maybe)-that would constitute more of a "midlife crisis scream",IMO.

Me, I'm a truck/SUV gal, I do have a little Chevy Lumina 4 dr that I use for a lot of my general running( better on gas, a bit easier/more comfortable to drive) and it's a help with logistics/convenience/time management if I happen to have stuff loaded on my 3/4 ton 4x4 truck...

But no, IMO a Camaro is not a "midlife crisis' announcement-nor is a Mustang...a 'Vette might be dancing on the edge of "midlife crisis announcement", a Camaro or Mustang, not so much.
Oh, I have my own "completely impractical but I want one" list...I'd love to have a Mini-Cooper. ( Yeah, yeah, probably have to butter my ass in order to get into it, LOL)
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Middle aged man, new Camaro