Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How important is a Good Photo..??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 natgoat227
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How important is a Good Photo..??Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I've seen ~Both ends of the Rainbow~, so to speak...
(And [just so you know that I'm somewhat -qualified-] being an ex-military photog., I'm rather critical of peoples pictures.
True, it's difficult to get a decent idea of a persons looks...by a Postage-stamp-sized pic, but in Full-size,
(3" square) I've seen some that look as if a 3-year-old shot them through a half-empty Milk bottle...
And Others...like they were taken on a movie set...after 3 hours of Professional make-up has been applied.
So....
What gets _Your_ attention, First...??
And...
What really _Ruins_ others...??

I'll post mine, a bit later....

Thx...
 MissNoWhere
Msg: 2
How important is a Good Photo..??
Posted: 6/23/2012 8:51:18 AM
I'll play.

If the person posts up-to-date photo's then you should be able to determine, even from a postage size stamp, what they generally look like.

What gets my attention?
A genuine smile

What ruins others?
half nekkid pictures
 Walts
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/23/2012 8:55:06 AM

What ruins others?
half nekkid pictures

I know!!! Peeves me right off when they are only half naked. I wanna see it all, preferably back and front, and a little bit of bending over wouldn't hurt either!!!! They can leave their hat on, if they want.
 Andi47
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/23/2012 8:59:53 AM
I want to see a smile not body pic .lol.i had some people ask me what I think of they profile pic..good pic I think is important ,find a friend to take your pic who is good with a camera or pay for a sitting fee at any of the department store,it would be a good investment , and put some nice shirt on .lol.Can be a tshirt what is not washed 100 times already lol.a color what is compliment you .
 Rawr773
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/23/2012 9:00:59 AM
What gets my attention first?

Someone who seems genuine in their composure.
Seems happy.
Has good quality photos(in things like pixelation, lighting, etc).

What ruins others?

Photos with the opposite gender.
Photos with alcohol and bar scenery.
Photos with them just plain not in them(like a random photo of a car or flower).

Photos are critical, I don't take messages from people without one.
 fall-blossom
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/23/2012 9:11:59 AM
Very important! I prefer clear photos and a full length photo. Profile pics I skip over are: profiles with only one photo from shoulders up, far away taken photos, blurry photos, photos of the person not taken face-on (their face is on an angle so you really can't see what the person looks like unless they turn their head to the side), and photos with men wearing hats and sunglasses (their eyes are hidden as is their hair or lack of it).

I cannot be bothered asking people for additional photos anymore. Yes, looks are important on online dating and I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time nor my own. Even though a person may have a good photo, they can still not be as appealing IRL and that also applies to myself.
 SONNI100
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/23/2012 9:40:33 AM
I think pics are vital...without them, we go nowhere. I take mine with my laptop (like a dork, I know)...
 grove_22
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/23/2012 9:50:15 AM
Very important. Photos are often the first thing people look at. A relatively clear face shot and 1 full body shot is fine. For the most part, I don't care what people use for their other secondary photos.

BTW I don't have photos because I'm here for the forums.
 neck romancer
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 10:10:52 AM
wow those cats a huge! Are they Maine Coons?
 AladinsLamp
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/23/2012 10:12:20 AM
thats why i dont even put a picture....ppl just think all different kinds of crap from a just picture. i think from a picture u can tell what the person is trying to convey, and sure some conclusions can b drawn from what their trying to convey....but u still dont know all that much about them from a picture......i think people will draw conclusions to quick based on a photo. 5 or 6 different photos are maybe 5 or 6 different days in a persons life...there are 365 days in a year... i think some people might have pictures from 1 or 2 or more years range.....its just some pictures that they picked....who knows why....maybe they just were on a hurry to put some picture on....maybe they show a picture with friends cause they wanna show their popular when really who knows if they r really some devil worshiper who cant stand day light....or they picked a picture cause they thought they looked good in it.... sometimes u dont know stuff about someone after uve lived with them....u really think u can draw conclusions based on a picture? i would just advise to think twice after uve analysed a picture and try to understand the person a little bit more without prejudice....u know just give it a chance and hope to b pleasantly surprised..... :)
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/23/2012 10:17:28 AM
Beautiful people get my attention.....Im a sucker for pretty peeps...
 mcwr
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/23/2012 10:17:39 AM
It's always good to present yourself in the best light possible, in every sense.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/23/2012 10:39:14 AM

Even though a person may have a good photo, they can still not be as appealing IRL and that also applies to myself.

Very important!

Those statements sound contradictory to me.
 fall-blossom
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/23/2012 10:49:20 AM

Those statements sound contradictory to me.

A good picture is what grabs a person's attention initially for most people.
 DallasSBF
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/23/2012 10:51:43 AM
Very. Really why would you advertise and use the photo of you with bed head and boogies hanging out your nose looking like you need a bath???
THEN get all mad cause NO one answers your emails really???
 neck romancer
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 10:54:40 AM
there was a guy on last night who had his arms crossed and had a mean grumpy look on his face. its safe to say that his photo choice was very poor!
 Vannili
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 10:55:24 AM
The most important is the person in the Photos, because you are representing yourself to be like by others.

I've seen men who represent themself in photos not in enticing ways, like too much facial hair, uncomb hair, glaring at the camera,half naked ,ect.ect.. I know what you see is what you get and that is HONESTY . But sorry I am not getting any of that kind of personality

Some women they think enticing a man is thru showing toooooo much skin and titilating post, like they are promoting themself as sex game.. There is really no misinterpretation on these photos..
 CueT314
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/23/2012 10:55:55 AM
If you're going to include a photo of yourself with friends, make sure the friends aren't more attractive than you are. I've often times been more attracted to the friend than that of the person owning the profile.

If you're including a photo of yourself with someone of the opposite sex or including children in the shot, caption it correctly. "At a concert with my best friend of 20 years." "Taking my nephew to the park." "My sister and I on her birthday." If you leave it blank, we'll assume the children are your own and the person is your girlfriend/wife (or equivalent).

Crop your photos. I repeat, crop your photos. If you've been reduced to taking a mirror shot in the bathroom, at least crop out the toilet from the view before you post it. If you don't want to include your friends (or exes) in the shot, crop them out of it. Don't blur their faces, put a black box on them, or anything silly like that which distracts from the photo itself. Just crop them out and be done with it.

Make sure the photos represent you. If you're not smiling in any of them, don't say you're a happy go lucky person who always smiles. Don't pose on your friends Harley or next to your dads BMW if you don't ride yourself or the car isn't yours.

If you really have an amazing body and love going to the gym, you don't have to use 4 shots of you working out topless in the actual gym to convey that image. One shot will do, and if you really are as buff as you think you are, the shirtless pic isn't even needed. We can tell with your clothes still on, thanks.

Pets are probably important to you, and I get that. But when you have 5 pictures of your cats (even if you're in the shots too) it makes you come across as a crazy cat lady. No one wants to date the crazy cat lady. Again, one shot will do.

/rant
 rockondon
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 12:03:46 PM
For me a good photo is one that shows what they look like. I don't care if they're professionally done, brushed, perfect lighting, etc. If someone takes a grainy pic of themselves in the bathroom mirror with their old phone and it shows their figure, that's a great enough photo for me. I'd take that over a dozen beautifully taken head-shots any day. I'm not a photographer, I don't expect her to be either.

What I like to see in photos:
her eyes
her smile
her figure
Anything other than that is a bonus - such as pics of her while travelling or doing recreational things.

What I don't like seeing:
group pics with no way to tell which one is her (I will assume she's the ugly one).
sideways photos
pics of her and the ex (particularly if the ex is scribbled out on the photo)
pics of her smoking/drinking
pics of her frowning (I see this constantly! Even miserable people should be able to pull it together for a 1 second pic I mean come on).
All head shots
 Knight_Time
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/23/2012 1:37:56 PM
A good photo is VERY important. Make sure you're smiling, looking like you're having fun, etc. Try to stay away from the boring bathroom mirror pic too... it's rampant out here. Just my 2 cents. :)
 meowkatt2012
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/23/2012 1:51:30 PM
It is. Some guys pics are so dark or so far away it's like, why bother? Or they are frowning ot looked like police wanted pics. Even angry or weird looks. I don't bother answering those.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/23/2012 1:52:18 PM
It is critical.
The most important thing on your page.

Holding cats in yours
does not make the ladies swoon.
:-P
 WildDNA
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/23/2012 4:00:44 PM
Not everyone has a great photo of themselves! Some of my photos, my hair's a mess and my makeup well... what makeup. Others, yes I look good in. Most men I have met in person say I look better then my photo so there goes the theory on the photo says it all.

I think as long as your photos recent and a pretty good description of what you really look like... will go a long way then a photo of you, 10 years back and 50lbs less.
 shy2anne
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/23/2012 4:26:33 PM
i took my photos with my laptop too. i know they are not great quality but it's all i have for now. someone who knows me RL told me i should get better pics, that i am "prettier than that". what can i say? it's just me. it is hard to judge people by still photos so i try to have grace.
frankly, what i will skip over are the obviously bad - people frowning, grimacing, pics that are obviously taken decades ago or look phony like maybe they copied someone's pic online ...why would someone do that??
i'm starting to understand the pics with fish, cars, motorcycles, etc but at first i thought it strange.
what attracts me? it's been said a million times, i suppose, but i find it is something in their eyes..a kindness. eyes i could look into when we talk. oh man.
 onehappyfellow
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 4:30:03 PM
Your postage size stamp photo is all I would need to see.

I don't need or want any poop machines in my home and you have two poop machines in your arms,
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How important is a Good Photo..??