Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > What no deviled eggs thread?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blalah
Msg: 1
What no deviled eggs thread?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I made these for a bbq that were a humongous hit.

Eggs - hard boiled yolks removed
add to yolks-
fresh (real) bacon bits
green onion
s&p
small amt of mustard
mayo
sour cream
curry powder
coconut cream
garnish with paprika and green onion
 caddyman101
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What no deviled eggs thread?
Posted: 6/23/2012 2:48:13 PM
sometime i will top my deviled eggs with some dungeness crabmeat.
 Blalah
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/23/2012 2:50:44 PM
Like the Pumpernickel and the crab ideas.
And yes I used the white part of the scallions in the egg and the green part for garni.
 MsMicki
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 5:43:02 PM
I had a big party here on Memorial Weekend.......ended up with like 7 people bringing deviled eggs (god forbid they actually checked the ongoing menu we had on FB!!)
Every one of them made them differently!!
After the party was over......there were a couple dozen left.....so I chopped them up and made egg salad.......
messy job but damn that was some tasty egg salad!!

my family has always used chopped green olives instead of pickles/relish

My grandma made her deviled eggs the standard mayo, mustard and pinch of sugar way........
But........she put a small dab of deviled ham (the stuff in a small can) in the egg first them topped with the yolk mixture....I can remember eating so many of those I'd make myself sick!!
 MsMicki
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 6:11:33 PM
do you mind reposting that recipe for ham balls so we don't have to search for it? :)
 Belle Requin
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/23/2012 9:16:59 PM
I don't like devilled eggs!! Which I've always found a little odd, as I love hard boiled eggs, and I love mayo- but I cannot stomach them together as well. Nor have I ever had an egg salad that I've enjoyed.
 windchymes
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 9:20:19 PM
I'm even more of a purist with my devilled eggs. I mix the yolks with Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, salt & pepper, little bit of garlic salt and, my secret ingredient, a dash of lemon juice. Sprinkle paprika for pretty garnish. People always rave over them.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2013 9:25:23 AM
I've just finished making some deviled eggs and it was NOT EASY ... I've made
deviled eggs before and thought it would be like falling off a log ... BUT ...

I used eggs that were about a week shy of their "best by" date ... so they were NOT
too fresh ... I let them come to room temperature before adding them to cool water
and bringing it all to a boil ... promptly turned off the fire and let the eggs sit in the
hot water for 25 min. ... dumped out the hot water and replaced with cold ... then
refrigerated ...

same way I always do boiled eggs ... BUT ... the shells would NOT come off easily ...
I practically ruined my right thumb and index finger, trying to get the shells off
the eggs ... THEN the egg yolks wouldn't come out of the egg whites and I had to
use a spoon to dig 'em out ...

after that, all was good ... I wanted them to be bland due to diet restrictions of
some of the people I was making them for ... so I mashed the yolks, added salt,
yellow mustard, low-fat mayo ... they whipped up perfectly ... I loaded the base
egg whites and sprinkled with Lawry's seasoned pepper ...

but ... does anyone have any idea why the eggs were so difficult? what did I do
wrong? these were medium sized brown eggs ... are medium sized eggs more
difficult to shell?
 texasbaby
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2013 11:23:14 AM
I wonder if it was because they were cold? When we dye Easter eggs I always put them in the frig when we're done so I can make deviled eggs the next day. But, the shells are always hard to remove and the yolks sort of stick to the white, just as you said.

tb
 MsMicki
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2013 9:28:17 PM
I have always peeled my eggs when they are still hot....
I only run enough cool water over them till I can handle them...
then I do the "crunch on all sides" thing and peel them under running hot water.

Always peel beautifully!
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2013 7:51:22 PM
One day at work I bought two eggs from the vending machine and I totally mutilated the 1st egg peeling it. A
co-worker said if you blow on the wide end of the shell it is somewhat permeable and it will create an air layer between the egg and shell. I didn't believe him but tried it anyway. It worked every time I've tried it on a refrigerated hardboiled egg. You have to create a seal with your mouth and blow hard for about 10 seconds. I agree it's much easier to peel them when hot and slightly chilled under running water.
 Archiver
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/27/2013 10:47:07 PM
To make a dozen deviled eggs, first hard-cook the eggs in the oven, not in a pan on top of the stove. Really! Use eggs that are at least a week old. Eggs last for months in the refrigerator; they're perfectly fine. New eggs, however, are hard to peel.

Start with a cold oven. Lay a dozen eggs directly on the middle oven rack, with spaces between them, or put each egg in a muffin tin hole and put the muffin tin on the rack in the oven. Close the oven door and turn the temperature to 325 degrees F. Set the timer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice and water, and keep it nearby. When the timer buzzes, turn off the oven, open the door and pull out the oven rack. Using a silicon pad, pick up each of the eggs and drop it into the ice water.

After the eggs are thoroughly chilled they will be perfectly hard-cooked. Tap each egg on the counter to gently break the shell, and peel it. Discard the shell pieces and continue until all are peeled. Cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Gently "pop" the yolks out, or use a small spoon to scoop out the yolks. Put the yolks into a small bowl. Using a fork, pulverize the egg yolks. Lay the white halves on a pretty serving plate or deviled egg holder.

Measure the pulverized egg yolks and add an equal number of tablespoons of real mayonnaise. You can eye-ball this. Precise measurements are not necessary. Add generous dashes of salt and pepper to taste. Mush it all up until smooth. Then scoop generous teaspoons of yolk mixture and place in the hollowed egg whites. Top with capers, anchovy fillets, or small slices of smoked salmon.

No pickles. No mustard. No paprika. Just mayo, salt and pepper, and the savory toppings. They'll get scarfed up quickly.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/3/2013 6:00:45 PM

I used eggs that were about a week shy of their "best by" date ... so they were NOT
too fresh ... I let them come to room temperature before adding them to cool water
and bringing it all to a boil ... promptly turned off the fire and let the eggs sit in the
hot water for 25 min. ... dumped out the hot water and replaced with cold ... then
refrigerated ...

I was surprised to read this. Aren't your eggs way over cooked?

I drop cold eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, cover and let sit for 12 minutes and the run cold water over them until the water in the pot is completely chilled. Then pop the eggs in the fridge and peel them later. The only time I have ever had a problem was when I used farm fresh eggs. They were crazy hard to peel.

As for the deviled eggs themselves. I am a purist, Mayo, a little mustard, salt and pepper and paprika on top. Every once in a while for a change, I will add a little curry powder.
 MsMicki
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2013 8:00:55 PM
Had these at a Halloween party this weekend, and they were quite tasty
(I'm guessing at the ingredient amounts because the hostess was quite drunk and could only tell me what was in them!)

Fiesta Deviled Eggs

Mix yolk with :
2 T Southwestern Ranch Dip
1 T finely chopped green onion
1 T chopped green chilis (she used canned which would add to the moisture content)
1 T minced red bell pepper
1 Tsp finely chopped cilantro
 Molly Maude
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2013 11:21:46 PM
making hard-boiled eggs again today ... followed Ms. Micki's advice and
peeled after they'd been sitting in cool water (AFTER boiling) ... I waited
until they were cooled off but still warm ... they peeled MUCH better
than the ones I did last time ...

maybe my eggs last time were a little too fresh ... I buy brown free-range
eggs and I've always thought they were fresher than the more commercial
eggs ...

I'm not making deviled eggs today ... I had bought a jar of FANTASTIC
pickled beets ... boiled the eggs, peeled 'em, washed 'em then dried the
eggs off with a paper towel and dropped them into the jar of picked beet
juice ... I've been shaking them up occasionally so they'll be a consistent
color ... they're quite beautiful already!

purple pickled eggs will give the kiddles something else to think about on
Thanksgiving!!! I wonder which (if any) of them will TRY grandma's
crazy purple pickled eggs! (we used to sell these in a restaurant we owned
in the '80s) ...
 agoraphobic_insomniac
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/21/2013 1:51:16 AM
So, wait, let me get this straight: You leave the boiled eggs, which have been shelled, in a jar of leftover beet juice. You'll keep them that way and devil them come Thanksgiving?
 MsMicki
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2013 4:53:38 AM
NO! ^^ You just eat them pickled!

I used to make myself sick on my g'mas pickled beets and eggs!
 agoraphobic_insomniac
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/21/2013 6:14:09 AM
I see.

Ick.

But you all enjoy.
 raxarsr
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2013 7:28:26 AM
you dont know what your missing.red beet eggs are the bomb..........i usually add about half a cup of cider vinegar and a tablespoon or so of "hoagie spread"........ a mix of ground up hot and sweet peppers.......i try to let them sit a week before eating.............notice i said try......

making deviled eggs from red beet eggs is mighty dang good too........they are ALWAYS the first tray emptied
 Moonchild51
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2013 7:51:19 AM
I am going to have to try this with the eggs and pickled beet juice. I make awesome pickled beets if I say so myself. They are always a huge hit wherever I take/serve them. Neat idea to try. Thanks for this one folks!
P.S. - Missing my foodies! xx
 MsMicki
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2013 2:16:52 PM
now I'm gonna have to try pickled deviled eggs!! LOL
I'm sure my Dad would love them....he'll eat anything if it's thrown in some vinegar!
 texasbaby
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2013 8:47:12 PM
Guacamole Deviled Eggs

6 hard boiled eggs, cut in half remove yolks to bowl
1 avocado, peeled, pit removed, add avocado to bowl with yolks
1 T lime juice
1/4 t salt
1/4 t onion powder
1 t finely minced garlic
2 t finely chopped cilantro

With a fork mash yolks and avocado until smooth and well mixed.
Add all other ingredients and mix well
Spoon or pipe mixture into egg white halves
Sprinkle lightly with paprika
Chill before serving

tb
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2013 6:43:29 AM

Guacamole Deviled Eggs

6 hard boiled eggs, cut in half remove yolks to bowl
1 avocado, peeled, pit removed, add avocado to bowl with yolks
1 T lime juice
1/4 t salt
1/4 t onion powder
1 t finely minced garlic
2 t finely chopped cilantro

^^^^^^^^^^Going to try this and add cayenne pepper.

I add avocado to egg salad at times and it sounds fabulous.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2013 12:16:49 PM
With avacado as an alternative healthy fat I've experimented with a couple variations. I don't care for hard yokes so I discard them, make Guacomole with a couple of chopped tomatos added. Fill the eggs, sprinkle with finely diced ham and paprika. I call these Dr. Seuss eggs. While searching the net I found a site that put extra green die in the guacomole. Fill the egg halves and place one slice of black olive to create an eye. Use Sriracha hot sauce and draw squiggly lines to make them appear bloodshot. These were a big hit at my youngest brother's 50th Birthday party.
 Hozo
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2013 9:08:34 PM
I sprinkle red chili or cayenne powder over them instead of the traditional paprika!

This isn;t a deviled egg recipe, but is close enough and also uses avocados

Baked Avocado with egg
Ingredients:
6Whole avocados
1 dozen Eggs
Cayenne pepper (or any spice of your choice)
Cheese (optional)

Cut the avocado in half lenghtwise. Remove the stone from the avocado. Scoop out a little more avocado to increase the size of the stone's crater. Lay the 12 avocado halves flat, flesh-up. Crack an egg into the crater. Sprinkle with Cayenne pepper (cheese too if you desire). Bake in the oven at 450 degrees until egg is cooked to the level you like. Makes 12 servings. Enjoy!!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > What no deviled eggs thread?