Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Putting some "Legalese" in the footers of profiles      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Infinity_G
Msg: 1
Putting some "Legalese" in the footers of profilesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Okay, something I've noticed lately as well.

Some people who put disclaimer about using their pictures somewhere else. They seem to be copied and pasted from somewhere else , where are they getting this legalese to posted in their profile? lol
 TheLongSpring
Msg: 2
Putting some Legalese in the footers of profiles
Posted: 6/24/2012 7:04:25 PM
The legalese you see posted doesn't hold any water. It originally came from users on Facebook. People seem to forget you gave up your rights after accepting the TOS for this site.
 neck romancer
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2012 7:17:26 PM
yeah means nothing.. they just hide behind it like a kid under a blanket.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/24/2012 7:19:36 PM
I used to have it on my ad as a warning to other POFers who may have a screw loose & decide to "lift" any of my pics & use them elswhere...If some other PERSON ever did that, I'd follow up on it!
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 1:21:04 PM
I think they have control issues AND are deluded.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/25/2012 2:59:19 PM
It's just silly. Many people who have that on their profile and about lifting pics, people would be mad in the head to take!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/25/2012 3:08:29 PM
Years ago, when I used to frequent chat rooms, someone "stole" my name by replacing the "l" in "Gwendolyn" with the number "1" and pretended to be me.

Obviously, I was really, really harmed by the experience and everyone in that chat room still remembers it happening. (That's sarcasm.)

What is someone going to do with my picture? Pretend to be me? Photoshop the head onto a naked body?

I am much more concerned about someone stealing my bank account or credit card info.
 SpittyKitty
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/25/2012 4:11:18 PM
I see an ex's piture up all the time on an ad for another website. Something about the website being rich men looking for women. He is so broke it's not even funny. Plus, he won't/can't work so that's not going to be changing anytime soon.
As soon as you post anything to the internet it is free for all.
User beware.
 Walts
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/25/2012 4:49:11 PM
Watermark. Won't stop it all, but it is a mark. Still, any photos thrown up on the internet is there for everybody to use. Anybody wanna break the news to the young things that are continuously putting pics up of their kitty cats,ta tas, and bums, along with their faces????? Are they in for a world of forever hurt in the future!!!!! Kinda tough explaining them to their own kids in 5 to 10 years.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:21:09 PM
^^^^ I can't see it--it's covered by your cap. You need to stop wearing hats and shave your head.
 ilovehistory
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2012 2:06:09 PM
None of you posted the truth, so far as the law is concerned, about pictures posted online and the rights of the subjects, photographers, and potential users of the images.

I am a professional photographer and graphic artist. My income comes 100% from licensing the use of my work to businesses. In the USA, copyright on photos belong to the photographer. That means the person who took the picture, not the subject, unless it is a self-portrait. No © symbol or notice is needed to protect that copyright, it is automatic and lasts the lifetime of the photographer plus a long number of years after he/she dies (75 years, if I remember correctly).

The POF terms of service give POF the right to use the photo by displaying it on the POF website on your profile and the right to use it in POF advertising. You also give them the right to allow other users of the site to download it onto their computers (necessary for them to SEE the photo. All pics you view online, on any website, get downloaded to your computer, where they're stored in your browser's cache folder for a time.)

Can you really do anything about it if someone takes your photo off the site? The answer is, "it depends." An individual who thinks you're hot and copies to his computer's PICS folder is violating your copyright, but the cost of suing him/her is high, and the rewards when you win low, since the courts award damages based on the the economic loss the photographer suffered. Keep in mind, also, that only the photographer, not the subject can sue for copyright infringement unless you took the photo yourself or the photographer sold you full ownership of the copyright (just giving you a CD of images is NOT giving you the copyright).

If the photo is taken and used commercially (for example, a business uses it in an ad for their company, or a publisher uses it to illustrate a book or a magazine article), then suing for Copyright infringement is more realistic, because there was economic loss to the photographer, who would have been paid for use of the image.

If you didn't take the photo and someone uses it commercially, you do have the right to sue for using your likeness without permission. This is not the same as copyright, and generally speaking newspapers and news magazines are exempt from the requirement to have signed permission forms (model release) from people in the photos they publish. But, advertisements and business websites DO need your permission to the your likeness.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/26/2012 8:24:30 PM

Thought about that, but then I was like... Nooo that would be like arrogantly announcing to the world I am totally copyrighted material. I must remain cleverly discreet about my © because ICE , the FBI, DOJ and RIAA might not take my complaints seriously if I openly flaunt it in public.

I totally understand--it is the same reason why I don't wear my Queen of the Universe crown in public.
 foxonatrain
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2012 9:25:00 PM
I usually put all my valuables out on my lawn and then just prop up a sign in the yard that says, "Please do not steal." It works about as well.
 TheReason_
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2012 11:13:49 AM
If you are getting a service for free, you are actuall they product.

Think of all the "free food" pigs, cows & chickens get.

They think "Oh boy, all you can eat, and it's free!!!!!!"

We are little more than eyeballs to sell to advertisers.

gigigrongbell
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/27/2012 11:27:26 AM
I've seen it a few times. It's off-putting.
 Testing23Testing3
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/23/2017 5:46:43 PM
Oh boy, it's the "I'm in the business" dissertation.

Plenty of what people wrote is the same thing you wrote, so stop telling everyone that they're all wrong and only you know, and you don't know for sure. The law is rarely black & white. There is no absolute on this.

By the way, probably nobody read your entire post. If you truly were a professional in the communications business, you'd know something about coming in late and leaving early.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/23/2017 6:05:45 PM
I never got the watermarks.

Its about as much of a deterrent as a note on your house's door warning of the consequences for stealing on your property. You know, vs a guard dog, and a loaded gun. Better yet, an alarm, CCTV cameras, and their sticker on your front door.

If you genuinely don't want your picture stolen, put watermarks in them with your screen name (across the entire picture, and transparent enough, to where it doesn't take away from the picture). Kind of extreme, but this would be an option that would actually work.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/23/2017 6:07:19 PM
Also, the ego one would have, to watermark their pictures against theft...

If anything, if I see my pictures stolen, I'm flattered. Even if its pictures of my art on my profile. I'd still be flattered.
 gtomustang
Msg: 19
legal masturbation
Posted: 3/23/2017 7:02:06 PM
with my luck, someone would cop my pic and find a way to actually have success with it. Still, how does the legalize get enforced? Is there an internet police force that yells at the profile who stole you

"pull your profile over! Pull it the HELL over!"

do they then get ticketed or something?
 NoxzemaWA
Msg: 20
legal masturbation
Posted: 3/23/2017 7:32:32 PM
Yeah I don't think it means anything either. Like Perspektiv said, I'd be flattered if someone used my pics but alas, that only happens to super hot people. Especially in the days of MySpace (2003-2006) I saw TONS of fake profiles all over that site and had a few hot girlfriends who were always getting their pictures stolen.

This is long but her story is CRAZY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic29HIr13o0

But yeah, in most cases, it's delusions of grandeur. Like anyone is going to want to steal Joe Schmoe or Plain Jane's pictures.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 21
view profile
History
TOO BORING TO READ ( skip it ) and press ACCEPT
Posted: 3/23/2017 9:42:05 PM

I am a professional photographer and graphic artist. My income comes 100% from licensing the use of my work to businesses. In the USA, copyright on photos belong to the photographer.

Correct on all the major points. Yes, I read the entire post, and I deal with photos and graphics, too. Graphics have been stolen since the dawn of time, and copyrights are a recent thing. Unfortunately, the owner is responsible to enforce his ownership - which is economically non-feasible most of the time. Huge corporations do it to ward off OTHER huge corporations. Sometimes the kick around a few small guys to earn a reputation for enforcing their ownership.
Because copy/paste is so easy on personal computers, tablets & phones, the situation outran the LAW decades ago. I'm not sure about the validity - but the story goes that the people who first developed algorithms for digital photos (Graphic Image Format=.gif) didn't bother to copyright the process because they thought nothing of it. Oh, well...
Anyhow, just because it's easy, doesn't mean it's legal - technically. People did the same with photocopies before the Internet. Companies decided not to chase them down so long as it was small-time stuff. Social media posts are still considered "small time" even when used as memes and get over a million views.
----------------

But all this is NOT what those profile disclaimers are about. Despite giving all their personal info to Apple, Google, Microsoft, Playstation, and numerous other "evil" corporations that use it to target ads to you personally and lift the money from your palms....PEOPLE ARE FEARFUL of being exposed. Like the NSA, other companies and even college students use social media to collect, sort, data-mine and analyze what people are doing. People get paranoid about it, while sexting their hooters and junk to each other over servers in Starbucks.

So they post these disclaimers to be left alone. As others have said - the people who collect photos and data from social media likely ignore any such statements. FIRST-you have to find out they actually used your pics, THEN you have to prove how they got the pics. If you ever opted-in to anything that organization offers, you may have already shot yourself in the foot. An email, a newsletter, a privacy notice, whatever.

-->ACCEPT<-- By scrolling past this post, you have approved the content.
 Seki1949
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2017 1:37:42 AM

By the way, probably nobody read your entire post.

I read the entire post.
 Nestaron
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/24/2017 11:59:38 AM
It's pointless putting up some junk that someone else cant use it is laughable. There is no law stopping them from doing so and the information once put on here is no longer yours. They can use it as they see fit regardless of what you say on your profile you just expect them to use the information you give them responsibly and to trust them not to use it. Like that stupid Rome Statue one on facebook if they actually new anything about law they would know Rome Statue is war crimes and crimes against humanity nothing at all to do with internet. Before people put junk on their profiles they should actually learn something about what they are doing. My personal view of it a person should not be on internet until they have actually taken a course on internet security, and know how to use a computer through training programs.
 LexiInMDR
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2017 7:24:13 AM
TBH I don't really care what someone does with my pics. Since last summer I only go to meetups, I only check my inbox on PoF every couple of months.

I mean, what's someone going to do, steal my pics and pretend to be me, then say she's going to meet some guy at a restaurant and then he finds out that she looks nothing like me? Then I quit worrying. :)
 ageisanillusion
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2018 1:45:58 PM
This part of law is black and white. Period!
(UCC 1-308 - 1 1 308-103 and the Rome Statute) is a hoax meant to make fools out of as many under-educated humans as possible. It worked. Somewhere some troll is laughing his nuts off.
(UCC 1-308 - 1 1 308-103 and the Rome Statute) refers to counterfeit commercial goods inherent rights of a manufacturer and Rights of Sale. US copyright is governed by US law. As are all other countries. And when you use any service Free or Paid, you agree to the Terms of Service agreement. If it says POF owns your information and you agree by clicking YES to TOS, you signed a contract and gave up those rights. But you do have the right to shut up and cancel your account. That is your only legal recourse. Or you can keep whining online like a bunch of ****ea worryinh about stupid picture and illiterate posts that even your friends think are boring and pedantic
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Putting some "Legalese" in the footers of profiles