Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do weddings make you jealous?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 2
Do weddings make you jealous? Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Naw.
Get to flirt with the bridesmaids
while wearing a tux.
:-P
 friendshipcomesfirst
Msg: 3
Do weddings make you jealous?
Posted: 6/24/2012 9:52:04 PM
Not in the least... weddings are over rated
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/24/2012 9:52:10 PM
Do weddings make you jealous that someone else has found love and you are alone?

No, they just make me jealous that I missed out on some cake (since I wasn't invited).

I saw two people in love. I was jealous, because I don't have that. .

And with the divorce rate as high as it is now, there is just as good a chance they won't have that anymore in a few years, either.

Whenever you see pictures in the paper of couples getting engaged or married, they are always smiling. So, if everyone is so happy with their choice at that time, why do so many fail later on?
 CharminC
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/24/2012 9:52:21 PM
Not at all.
I am quite happy for any couple who've found bliss. The last thing I would wish on anyone is loneliness even when I experience it. There's way too much negativity. Jealousy is a negative emotion.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/24/2012 9:54:15 PM
No, I don't get jealous...

I've noticed a lot of people cry at weddings... I always wonder if it is because they are thinking about how costly and messy the divorce is going to be... I guess they are pessimists. ;-)
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/24/2012 9:55:49 PM
Not jealous at all it's always nice to see a couple genuinely happy ( even if it is usually fleeting ) and they are usually a great get together with old friends.

Most of my friends have been married at least once a few have remained together over the years and a number are happily single again.

When I see young people spending a bazilllion dollars on a wedding my practical side can't help but think the money would have been better spend on a downpayment on a home - at least they could split that equity when or if the marriage fails.
 meowkatt2012
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/24/2012 9:55:52 PM
I haven't been to one in many many years, but yes they did make feel like a loser. So many are divorced now or together till last kid out of highscool or college.
 Fleuron
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/24/2012 9:59:29 PM
Weddings don’t make me jealous. Sure they look in love now. They shelled out a lot for the event and will probably be paying it off for years to come. They can’t afford to waste it.

Plus they’re anticipating sex that night and drinking. What’s not to be happy about for the moment?

If I ever find myself in a coma considering marriage again, probably I’ll just skip to the honeymoon.
 Womac911
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2012 10:34:04 PM
Weddings don't. I've been through that before.

Children are another matter though. Although I love my brother and his kids, I find it very difficult to be around them.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/24/2012 11:26:03 PM
I treat weddings the same way I do funerals. I offer my condolences.
 Sportsfreak89
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/24/2012 11:33:05 PM
Nope. Part of me is happy that the couple is happy, but part of me is saying "this poor fella must not have enjoyed his freedom and manhood much."
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/24/2012 11:56:05 PM
There is usually to much, food, booze, laughter, fun, music, dancing and conversations to get jealous...
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/25/2012 1:21:32 AM
Jealous..never..I feel happy for them..its nice to see people inlove
 Pinky127
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/25/2012 2:18:14 AM

Ditto to that!!
And ive felt this way for YEARS.
I always shake my head and say "What are they thinking.........?"
 colt8301
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/25/2012 2:54:32 AM

Lol^^^^^thanks for the laugh, Pig..that was a good one.

Do weddings make you jealous that someone else has found love and you are alone? I just came from a beautiful wedding. I saw two people in love. I was jealous, because I don't have that. Or do that make you hopeful that there's someone out there for you?

Nope, just how awesome my vacation would be if I had 30 grand to throw away, well just have to settle for a "staycation"
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 3:03:25 AM

Ditto to that!!
And ive felt this way for YEARS.
I always shake my head and say "What are they thinking.........?"

Agreed. Never been jealous, always happy that it's not me standing up there.

It bothers me when people assume I am divorced...I very quickly and
emphatically correct them and let them know that I have never been married.
I am very proud of this fact and definitely don't worry how others perceive
me because of it.

Much rather wear the "never married" label than the "divorced" one. Those who
think there's something wrong with a woman my age having never been married
tend to be the ones who have multiple failed marriages under their belt. I find it
highly amusing that they see me as the one who has a problem with commitment...

*rolls eyes*
 Extollere
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/25/2012 4:16:47 AM
Nope.

I've only been to one in my lifetime, and only because I was forced to go as a teen. As a general rule (now that I'm old enough to say hell no), I avoid them at all costs. The next (and likely last, thank god) wedding I attend will be my own - a quick and dirty "I do great now let's get the hell out of here" event with 5 people or less (ideally), or a ridiculously themed wedding where we all get to dress up as superheroes or something.

But no. it was the most sickeningly boring event I'd ever attended. It was one of those loooooong ones where the ceremony lasted almost as long as the reception. Everybody stand, everybody sit, everybody stand, ugh. I've had more fun at funerals.

I was very excited for the couple, and they looked gorgeous and seemed absolutely happy, so it definitely wasn't that. But any event where people get up and do the electric slide can just go to hell.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 26
Posted: 6/25/2012 4:19:22 AM
Weddings don't make me jealous. It's always nice to see people celebrate their beliefs and it's always nice to be invited to share in a day which holds meaning to the couple.

What I do tend to find is myself wondering about the reason for a church wedding especially for a bride and groom who are not religious. It doesn't happen often in my social circle but I have occasionally attended a big church ceremony for a couple who have no religious belief. That's always puzzling to me as the social/family expectation of that has reduced over recent decades with the availability of a non-religious ceremony being held at many different locations.

The one other thought I always have when it's a big lavish wedding costing thousands, is how much more beneficial it would have been to spend that money on reducing their outstanding mortgage amount ! But hey, I have never claimed to be a romantic.
 Pinky127
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:27:10 AM

Everybody stand, everybody sit, everybody stand, ugh. I've had more fun at funerals.

^^ Omg,too funny and i so agree!
 vestaceres
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:40:11 AM
OP: If the love is sincere within the couple, why would I feel "jealous." I would not feel threatened of losing something I don't have. Secondly, there isn't enough love in the world; so it's encouraging to see it when it does come around, even if it doesn't involve me.
 grantfl80
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:23:20 AM
Weddings never have and sill do not make me jealous. I was married and we had an elaborate wedding. It was one of the best days of my life. Wish the good times would've continued longer. But I am happy for people who take the plunge. Perhaps they're better at it than we were...

G
 TedJMill
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:25:49 AM
I was at a wedding recently where they wrote their own vows. And my reaction was that the one time I'd seriously considered marriage, I was wrong, because I couldn't have honestly said I felt that deeply about her.
 Sensitive_Writer
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/25/2012 3:29:20 PM
Do wedding make me jealous?

Nope, not at all. Weddings are highly over-rated these days. All I see when I see a couple getting married is the cost......why spend thousands of dollars and start out your new life together, already in debt. It just makes no sense to me, whatsoever. And as for seeing a couple in love and saying the "I do's" doesn't make me jealous either....I am happy that someone found what they were looking for.

Story about the cost of weddings. At a function for work, I was talking to my boss's husband about weddings and the cost of them. I told him that my ex and I were married for under $500, and he was shocked! Told me that he and his wife spent over $25,000 for their wedding and that they were still paying for the wedding, four years later. Weddings are big business these days.....and an unnecessary expense, as far as I'm concerned.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/25/2012 3:39:05 PM
-----------------------------------
Nope not at all. Weddings are a lock down till death does you part and should be taken seriously but in this day and age, people are not taking marriage seriously enough these days.

Mankind traditional Wedding:
Spend a whole bunch of money for the wedding hall or where ever, decorations, money for tuxs for the groom and groomsmen and dresses for the bride and brides maids and maid of honor, a priest to put your hands together and bless your marriage ( which both of you won't take seriously bride and groom ) in front of all her and his family to see. Spend more money for a reception hall and food and booze and watch everyone have fun, get drunk and dance the night away. A year later one of you files for divorce ( because one is not happy with the marriage and does not want to work it out ) and even that will cost a crap load of money on top of that, fighting in front of family, fighting each other, fighting in front of the paralegal,lying and cheating on each other. Yeah how does weddings make me jealous? I'll keep my money in my pocket and stick to wanting to have a relationship.

After seeing how society's weddings are like, I'm a lil cynical about mankind's traditional weddings

Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 3:44:25 PM
Nope - not in the least.

I shake my head and think about the same couple 10yrs from now......and how much alimony and C.S. the guy could have saved if he thought with his big head instead of his little one..............

Yup.....been there done that. I actually feel sorry for them........
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do weddings make you jealous?