Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The definition of Science      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 purfectmeow
Msg: 1
The definition of SciencePage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
"A human being is part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. The true value of a human being is determined by the measure and the sense in which they have obtained liberation from the self. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if humanity is to survive". (Albert Einstein, 1954)

"The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms - this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness".
( Albert Einstein - The Merging of Spirit and Science)

Science is organized knowledge.
Herbert Spencer (1820-1903) English philosopher. Education.

Science is the systematic classification of experience.
George Henry Lewes (1817-78) English writer and critic.

Science is simply common sense at its best that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.
Thomas Henry Huxley (1825-95) English biologist.

Science is nothing but trained and organized common sense differing from the latter only as a veteran may differ from a raw recruit: and its methods differ from those of common sense only as far as the guardsman's cut and thrust differ from the manner in which a savage wields his club.
Thomas Henry Huxley (1825-95) English biologist. "The Method of Zadig" in Collected Essays IV.

Science is nothing but developed perception, interpreted intent, common sense rounded out and minutely articulated.
George Santayana (1863-1952) U. S. philosopher and writer. The Life of Reason.

Science is facts; just as houses are made of stone, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house, and a collection of facts is not necessarily science.
Jules Henri Poincaré (1854-1912) French mathematician.

Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition.
Adam Smith (1723-90) Scottish economist. The Wealth of Nations, 1776.

Science is what you know. Philosophy is what you don't know.
Bertrand Russell (1872-1970) English philosopher, mathematician.

It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious.
Alfred North Whitehead (1861-1947) English philosopher and mathematician.

[Science is] the labor and handicraft of the mind.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626) English essayist, philosopher, statesman.

[Science is] the literature of truth.
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw) (1818-85) U. S. humorist.

[Science is] a series of judgments, revised without ceasing.
Pierre Emile Duclaux (1840-1904) French biochemist, bacteriologist.

[Science is] the desire to know causes.
William Hazlitt (1778-1830) English essayist.

[Science is] an imaginative adventure of the mind seeking truth in a world of mystery.
Sir Cyril Herman Hinshelwood (1897-1967) English chemist. Nobel prize 1956.

[Science is] the knowledge of consequences, and dependence of one fact upon another.
Thomas Hobbes (1588-1679) English philosopher, author.

[Science is] piecemeal revelation.
Oliver Wendell Holmes 1 (1809-94) U. S. poet, essayist, physician.

[Science is] a great game. It is inspiring and refreshing. The playing field is the universe itself.
Isidor Isaac Rabi (1898-1988) U. S. physicist. Nobel prize 1944.

[Science is] not belief, but the will to find out.
Anon

In essence, science is a perpetual search for an intelligent and integrated comprehension of the world we live in.
Cornelius Bernardus Van Neil (1897- ) U. S. microbiologist.

I venture to define science as a series of interconnected concepts and conceptual schemes arising from experiment and observation and fruitful of further experiments and observations. The test of a scientific theory is, I suggest, its fruitfulness.
James Bryant Conant (1893-1978) U. S. Chemist and Educator.

Science can only ascertain what is, but not what should be, and outside of its domain value judgments of all kinds remain necessary.
Albert Einstein (1879-1955) U. S. physicist, born in Germany.

What is your definition of science and why? I wish to understand how logical minds feel. This is a dating site and I have met someone while in here in N.Y. that is a professor that bought a house down the street. We have little in common except for fire works. I'd love to get in his head, but I cant. Simple old me would just like to understand why he thinks the way he does about so many different things. So brainiacs of the net that have read my posts for years, gimmie a hand.
 Demigod1979
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The definition of Science
Posted: 6/26/2012 7:45:26 PM
To me, science is a method of determining truth. The key element to science is: testing. No scientific theory is accepted without testing - consequently, those ideas that are not tested (or cannot be tested) are never accepted. Concepts like falsifiability (the possibility for a theory to be proven wrong) and naturalism (restricting explanations to the natural world) follow from this principle.
 Limesngapples
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/27/2012 5:26:55 AM
To me, science is a method of determining truth. The key element to science is: testing. No scientific theory is accepted without testing - consequently, those ideas that are not tested (or cannot be tested) are never accepted. Concepts like falsifiability (the possibility for a theory to be proven wrong) and naturalism (restricting explanations to the natural world) follow from this principle.

^^^Pretty much sums it up.
 purfectmeow
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/27/2012 5:54:06 AM
Demi~ thank you ever so kindly for your input; it does help. I was hoping for diverse personal responses, but one awesome reply is still helpful :)
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/27/2012 6:32:21 AM

Ditto.

Thread done in one response.
 purfectmeow
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/27/2012 12:22:18 PM
I made him lunch! Little neck clams in a spicy chunky tomato sauce, over whole wheat linguine, with salad, and wheat rolls. It was all home made; I used my grandmothers old pasta maker, and tomatoes out of my brothers garden. I sure had a fun day, and thanks isnt enough for answering my question. May good things come your way darlin'~ I have a new NY friend right down the block!
 Demigod1979
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2012 6:42:54 PM

I made him lunch! Little neck clams in a spicy chunky tomato sauce, over whole wheat linguine, with salad, and wheat rolls. It was all home made; I used my grandmothers old pasta maker, and tomatoes out of my brothers garden. I sure had a fun day, and thanks isnt enough for answering my question. May good things come your way darlin'~ I have a new NY friend right down the block!

Glad to be of help. :) And it's wonderful that you've found someone, I hope for the best.
 purfectmeow
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/27/2012 6:52:16 PM
To stay on topic: science = chemistry in my definiton as of late.
However I will be returning to N.C. even though I own a home here :(
We will have to stay good friends for now... but thanks for the help and good wishes!
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 12:39:31 AM
Science is a philosophy, a means of obtaining "truths" by mental processes.

Specifically, it is the philosophy which maintains that all that is real can be objectively understood and explained in terms of natural processes. The pathway to that understanding is the Scientific Method.

The Scientific Method is a process of elimination. It begins with a set of observed facts and a proposal of how those facts relate, in measurable and objective terms [the "hypothesis"]. To continue any further, it must be understood that the hypothesis must logically agree with all observed facts. It must also be understood that an explanation which works can still be wrong, and one which does not work is obviously wrong. So you must have an "alternate hypothesis" which includes all the possibilities the first one does not. In this way, you have created a situation in which all possibilities are summed up in two answers, only one of which can be correct. Now you must devise a means by which to test these and prove one or the other wrong [experiment]. When your experiment proves that one of these is impossible, it simultaneoulsy leaves the other as the only valid answer...even if vague and unsatisfying [ie "not hypothesis A"]. This result is the "theory", which can then be narrowed by dividing it into further testable hypotheses.

The Scientific Method is objective, in that the logic and methods used are universally accessible. The results do not HAVE to be repeated, although it is certainly prudent to do so at times. By using stated external methods and logic, anyone can repeat the process and arrive at an identical result. The "truths" may still be subject to interpretation as to their significance, but they will not change according to the experimenter's mood, religion, or a bad batch of 'shrooms. Other philosophies have at least some comparable methods, including application of logic, but none of them have a rigid system of testing and comparison with external observations. They can sometimes have tenets which clash harshly with the 'real world', while also having a system in place to explain such apparent clashes. Some such philosophies are religions, which have rigidly set at least some of their explanations for the universe, regardless of the presence of supporting evidence or absence of contradiction.

Science is used in a great many fields which themselves may not be entirely scientific, including religion; and there are many "soft" sciences, in which the basic assumptions may be complex or not be very testable. These are generally still science, at least at the point of hypothesis and testing. The further up the chain you go, the more nebulous it can become. One can scientifically date and test a possible tomb of Christ - but this would not ensure it was the right "Christ", nor that claims made in his name are accurate. It would only explain that which it tests. One can excavate such a tomb, date the materials, organize them stratigraphically, and provide a cultural context for them - but this would not ensure that prevailing anthropological views for that culture are true. Many of the problems of misused and misunderstood science arise from either exaggerating the significance of results, or undervaluing them. The context must be appreciated.

Science begins with facts. It offers explanations for those facts, purely in context of observations, logic, and real world processes. Scientific explanations are testable, because all of the component objects and processes are observable and measurable. If those components cannot be defined or measured, it ceases to be science. If the explanations contradict reality, it ceases to be science.
 purfectmeow
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/28/2012 2:46:08 AM
^ As always I enjoy your posts; thank you. Its funny how at this juncture in life Im learning more about why men think so logically then ever before :) A light has been turned on since I started this thread, and have been asking from an entirely different perspective.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/1/2012 12:13:25 PM
@ Nr 1 ...

Umm ... None of these are a 'definition' of 'science'. They're aphorisms and quotes about the subject of 'science'. Here's the definition and etymology of 'science' ...

science

c.1300, "knowledge (of something) acquired by study," also "a particular branch of knowledge," from O.Fr. science, from L. scientia "knowledge," from sciens (gen. scientis), prp. of scire "to know," probably originally "to separate one thing from another, to distinguish," related to scindere "to cut, divide," from PIE root *skei- (cf. Gk. skhizein "to split, rend, cleave," Goth. skaidan, O.E. sceadan "to divide, separate;" see shed (v.)). Modern sense of "non-arts studies" is attested from 1670s.

The distinction is commonly understood as between theoretical truth (Gk. episteme) and methods for effecting practical results (tekhne), but science sometimes is used for practical applications and art for applications of skill. Main modern (restricted) sense of "body of regular or methodical observations or propositions ... concerning any subject or speculation" is attested from 1725; in 17c.-18c. this concept commonly was called philosophy.

To blind (someone) with science "confuse by the use of big words or complex explanations" is attested from 1937, originally noted as a phrase from Australia and New Zealand.
 purfectmeow
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/1/2012 3:53:46 PM
I asked for a personal definition; the two posted helped me gain valuable insight in how scientific minds think.
Men are logical by nature, and the conversations in my own family sparked by these posts have been quite remarkable. I wish the open level of communications we have been having as of late happened years ago~

ox guys
 Blackbry
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2012 8:49:23 PM
"Science is more than just a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking; a way of skeptically interrogating the universe." - Carl Sagan
 captpappy
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/7/2012 4:12:10 PM
Science: The philosophically un-biased study of "how things work".
 captpappy
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/7/2012 4:15:36 PM
Religion (or the lack there of): the study of "WHY do things work".
 purfectmeow
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/7/2012 7:25:20 PM
My new "friend" down the street and I just had wine with an old family friend of mine a few houses down (I grew in here). Professor meets contractor~ They both happened to agree unanimously that everything in the world is math. I have to giggle at the timing of your post. It tickles my funny bone anyway.
Posted: 7/8/2012 1:40:54 AM
Deceptively simple, and to leave quasi poetic rhetoric out of it...Science is just thinking about stuff.

And of course, this includes anything and everything. I can't imagine anything that you can't think about, and think about to some degree of productivity, unless it's just something that's not anything in the first place. It's idiotic to suggest that anything is outside of the realm of science. Of thinking about it. Likewise, there's no such thing as a soft science or hard science, in the sense that we don't know everything about the subject yet, or in the sense that someone makes the wrong assumptions about how things work in whatever said subject.

But, we must always remember the two beating hearts at the core of all science...the definitive things that MUST be there, lest it's not really science...the two things that are what make science worth anything, without which it is worthless...the two things that, oddly, while they're always a KEY part of ALL science, are alledged to be always absent by the ignorant, illiterate, dishonest, irresponsible, malign, and the religious:

Epistemology, and scientific Pragmatism.

Firstly, whereas science is simply thinking about stuff, for the purpose of knowing reality and truth, this always includes thinking about thinking itself. Thinking is one of the things that you think about. No matter what he's thinking about, the scientist, formal or informal, is always ALSO thinking about how he's thinking about it. Being epistemological. Otherwise, you're not being honest and responsible, and you cannot claim to be thinking about something in order to know reality or truth if you don't care about how you're thinking about it. This fact leads to the necessity of understanding tools like objectivity, requiring positive proof, sceptical neutrality, peer review, and many others.

Secondly, scientific pragmatism. Not pragmatism according to the everyday slang-like way by which you think about what pragmatism is. Pragmatism in science is 1) The admission that we could be wrong. And 2) This is just what we know "so far".

That's it. That's Science. If you're thinking about it, and doing it right, you're being scientific. And things that you think should be called Philosophy, in a way that philosophy is different or separate from science...is just more science. And when you think that religion is doing any of this, independent of science or without corrupting science...then you need to think again.
 chrono1985
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/8/2012 6:08:15 AM
I think this video, Open Letter to the Universe, by minutephysics sums it up pretty good: http://youtu.be/wN39H1Eb-6I

Exert from the opening of the video:
"Dear Universe, I'm a big fan of yours. Your so fresh and real, and I love how you manage to be fascinating day in and day out. I'm particularly impressed by your laws of nature and how you stick to them regardless of opinion polls of scientist or the public. Of course our goal in science is to find out how you work by careful observation, but it doesn't matter at all if I believe in a theory or not, what matters is whether you work that way."
 adamoof
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/8/2012 7:32:46 AM
Difficult to define science. Edgar Morin says: (question what science? No answer to him).In ancient times they called every note a science , since the 17th century , scientists tried to separate some of the knowledge and reached a degree of control and accuracy and comprehensiveness of philosophy and call it science. So philosophy named mother of science because it is the source of all human knowledge
some thinkers try some definitions of science , one of these: - Definition of John Dewey): Science is the study of each organization based on the methodology and is based on a clear spot could call it a science. Both have led us to the laws or led us to the general rules are approximate).
Posted: 7/8/2012 12:35:17 PM
dr. mike -

Like I said...thinking about stuff. You're speaking about useful predictions...and that's just an example of what I mean. Thinking about things. The ways of doing so. The results of doing so. And knowing if your efforts are worth the time, if they're producing anything real, and if you're doing it right.

So it's weird when someone disagrees in the style that you've employed.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/8/2012 12:52:05 PM
@ Nr 12 ...

" ... I asked for a personal definition ... "

A 'personal definition' is why we have such a scientifically illiterate populace ... science is not amenable to being 'personalized'. It is a way of thinking as well as a methodology provided so as to be able to question things and the reasons why (or not) they work. A 'personal definition' of science is functionally no different from NO definition because it's always changing - like 'new math', where 2 + 2 = purple. Sorry, but some things aren't 'individualizable'.
Posted: 7/8/2012 1:16:25 PM
kings knight...what or who is nr1 or nr12?
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/8/2012 2:17:31 PM
Hint: You're Nr 26 ...
Posted: 7/8/2012 2:20:30 PM
oh, ok. but what's the nr for? number?
Posted: 7/8/2012 6:14:08 PM
29:
vague? you've got to be kidding. have you even read my post?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The definition of Science