Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > would you date a person who dd not get Shakespeare?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 try1more
Msg: 7
view profile
History
would you date a person who dd not get Shakespeare?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
aha! a bloke with a fake profile!
every woman knows there is no such thing as a yes or no question.
in fact if you ask one a question the reply is usually a question?
look this aint a competition, do yer or dont yer!
 Chuzz16
Msg: 11
view profile
History
would you date a person who dd not get Shakespeare?
Posted: 7/1/2012 3:26:28 AM
Yes I would. I would rather date someone who 'got' me.
 FlaryNostril
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2012 1:56:51 PM
Who's speakespeare
 Jo van
Msg: 19
would you date a person who did not get Shakespeare?
Posted: 7/1/2012 2:49:20 PM
Ah.. To date, or not to date..?
That is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind.............

Bollox.

I can't be arsed.

Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:02:42 AM
Reading or watching Shakespeare is, by turns, baffling, tiring, frustrating and downright unpleasant. It is out of date, out of touch, and we read him, I'm convinced, out of habit. It's literal acclaim is both pretentious and precocious! I would be less inclined to date anyone who had "got" Shakespeare!
 Lucky_Paw
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:42:27 AM

I would rather date someone who 'got' me.
What is there to get ? you great to me !
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 3:24:03 AM
I value the opinion of others, but not when they are talking out their rear!

Denigrating others opinions because they don't happen to match yours' does little for your argument. Picking similes with situations today, and Elizabethans times is as easy as it were with that of Homers! Sometimes it is better to look at alternatives than follow the flock of wannabe illuminati.
 Jo van
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/4/2012 11:26:28 AM
First of all, I wouldn't "date" somebody who didn't "get" Shakespeare, but then I wouldn't date anyone who did either.

Having got that out of the way....
As to it's merit, I've read a bit, and yes, the themes are somewhat 'universal', they observe the human condition, fairly accurately, but so does Eastenders. Life, love, death, birth, deceit, duplicity, and loyalty, etc.

But I've always wondered whether it's position as a 'great work of art', was entirely due to the royal patronage, it received at the time.
I mean, how many other 16th century poets and authors, have people actually read, or been exposed to..?
I can only think of one I've ever heard of, Christopher Marlowe, who was also apparently pretty good..

But once Shakespeare's work had received royal approval, there was almost an obligation, on the part of the 'courtiers' and various other sycophants, to also 'wax lyrical' about it's merit. At the time, there was a fairly high probability, that if someone had disagreed with the queen, and said "I think Shakespeare's sh1t", they would lose their heads, fairly quickly.
That obligation to concur, would have 'trickled-down', throughout the feudal hierarchy.

So I've always suspected that he might occupy his "established" position, on "hype".
You're still not considered "educated" (as this thread implies) unless you're both familiar with, and also an admirer of his work.
It's been taught by default, and 'rote' to children and 'scholars' for centuries, as the epitome of English literature, but for all I know, he might have had hundreds of contemporaries, who's work has simply faded into obscurity.
And it may have all been written, in the same florid, descriptive language of the day.
(Although, at the time, only about 1/10 people could read and write, and they tended to be at the top of society))

In much the same way that religion was imposed on the masses, once the Emperor/King/Queen was a 'convert', I suspect that the same 'sociological drivers', applied to Shakespeare.

So, in conclusion, it's pretty good, but I'd say it was the 'soap opera' of it's day.
I don't really find it to be very imaginative, or thought provoking, just accurately observed life, as they knew it. (And we still do identify with it, but the cultural 'colour-spectrum' has changed)

scareymush
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/4/2012 11:45:38 PM
msg 13/OP

I asked the question as I declined a couple of dates re seeing a play by Shakespeare, as was quite a complex plot (for me).

Would have preferred a chat to get to know the person rather than watching the plays.

I guess my loss....

It does sound as if it was your loss...I don't know how others feel about dates but I would imagine that being invited out to the theatare, the opera, a concert, a gig, to see some kind of failed rock star cum comedian do his thang, or to some movie is an invite into experiencing first hand the likes of a potential friend/ possibly eventual significant other so that you would have something worthwhile to discuss....just be thankful he didn't invite you along to a political rally.

I thought the point of dating was to experience new things/broaden your horizens and ultimately widen your social circle ...I can't imagine being so self-centred that I would rather opt to bore someone senseless about my impressions of me and have them do the same to me ..that would be too dull and I think people should remember that dating is not about availing of free psycho-therapy..it's about having fun for a change and doing something out of your ordinary every day experience..

Anyway, I think that it's the accepted wisdom that Shakespeare's plays, whether the plots were plagiarised or not, are and continue to be the seminal influence on current and more previously modern day dramas and that is why an appreciation of Shakespeare is important.

I'd love to be invited out for a night at the theatare, regardless of what was on, mostly it's bound to be a good experience.

P.S. I'm stunned and amazed the ignoramous who pretends otherwise is unaware of John Donne..I thought he was supposed to be some kind of poetic type individual himself- you'd think he'd have heard of metaphysical poets at his grand old age of pensionable already.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 7:42:03 AM
verily, i giveth not a damn about ye olde bard :O)
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2012 11:34:16 PM
^^^ verily !, methinks yon maiden is something of a bardess herself ! hahaha :O)
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2013 6:19:49 PM
Yes I would date someone who did not get Shakespeare. I think life has many compartments and a partner should not be expected to fill them all, or at least that is what the vicar told me.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > would you date a person who dd not get Shakespeare?