Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > age, appearance and what you think      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Happy Dude 63
Msg: 1
age, appearance and what you thinkPage 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I am just wondering how many of "us" believe we look much younger then we are?
OR is it, that we just see ourselves through younger eyes?

Does anyone ever think we look at potential suitors as too old for us, because we feel we look younger then we are. And we only feel that way because it is a defense mechanism?

It is just that I read so many profiles that the writer claims to look 'much' younger then their age. And sometimes I think WOW!! either she/he is correct and LUCKY you!!
or those pics are very old....but mostly I think,,,hhhmmm 'nope you look your age'.

So can that be a reason why in this age bracket, over 45, we have more trouble reconnecting we some one?
Do we just see them as old and us younger?

I just don't understand why there are soooooo many people looking for friendship and seemingly unsuccessful.

As for me thinking I look younger then I do?? I am not sure. I feel I can see aging on me, but I am comfortable with it. I do think I look a lot younger then some of my buddies. But they just may look older the they should. Either way,
I feel pretty damn good!!
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 2
age, appearance and what you think
Posted: 7/2/2012 2:59:57 PM
I define for myself how any age should look.....
as I get there.
And as I date around my age mostly,
age is rarely an issue.

It seems to come up alot
for folks
who wish to date MUCH younger.
Cus they FEEL much younger.

....going by their profiles....
it seems the secret of feeling younger
is to avoid any mirrors.
:-P
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:01:18 PM
I think I look my age - but my experience is the opposite of yours as often see other users profiles and am surprised to see they aren't about ten years older then they claim to be. I tend to chuckle at most of the claims of people thinking they look younger then they are - perhaps it's true in real life, in candlelight, if being looked at by someone with cataracts but who knows, their opinion of me, might be exactly the same.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:05:29 PM
I look my age on the outside but when I think of 'who I am' on the inside, it's more of an ageless feeling. I really don't think about it too much and don't lose my self in mirrors.
 Happy Dude 63
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:10:14 PM
I actually don't care so much how old some one is...but,
I agree with dating in my age group, at least not intentionally looking to find some one much younger
As well as I am really attracted to ladies in my age group...
 vestaceres
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:27:34 PM
I look my age - 39.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:39:07 PM
I will not lie about my age. I have been told numerous times by others that I do not look my age. Yet when I look in the mirror I see my age staring back at me. I have no particular age in my life that I would like to revisit. I am frankly happy with who and what I am and looking forward to what I can still become. Sometimes however, I know a person's age and think to myself,wow, they look 10 years older. What is that about.? Guess everyone ages differently.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:50:10 PM
I think how old/young I view myself depends upon the day. Contributing factors like lack of sleep, my health or state of mind can make me feel and look older. And I look in the mirror and wonder when did I 'become' my mother?
When I am well rested and happy, I can visibly see a healthier glow... it's those times I say to myself, "Not too bad for an old broad"

I know this may come off sounding cheesy but I really do believe that a person's emotional state, attitude and outlook on life make a huge difference to one's appearance. I look better when I feel better. And that is what other people will see and I will let them judge for themselves.

I was looking back through some old photos and I do think I looked my absolute best when I was in my early forties. Of course I didn't think so at the time.

...mae
 _shakti_
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:50:56 PM
People are often shocked when they find out how old I am, to the point of awkward actually. Like mouth hanging agape type stuff. Especially when they find out how many children I have, their ages and that I am a grandma, lol..

I've never specifically looked for younger men, but I often attract them (and many are shockingly hard to put off too!). I have noticed that as I have aged, older men look more attractive to me. I wondered if that would happen when I was younger, funny how perceptions on such things change as you do.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/2/2012 4:08:12 PM
People are delusional. I have rarely seen a person who claims to look 5-10 years younger actually look so.

You might look younger than some of your buddies, but as you say, that might mean that they look older and not that you look younger.

I know that viewed from the back, I don't look 59. I base this on the number of young men in pick-up trucks who drive by my yard and whistle, yell, and honk. Poor dudes--they would be mortified if they knew I was old enough to be their grandma. All they see is the long red-blond hair, but it gives me a good chuckle.

However, I don't consider 45 year old men as "younger."

And I could easily pass for 58.
 shy2anne
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/2/2012 4:14:09 PM
good for you!
i have no problem being my age :) and wanting to be with others around my age. i am actually attracted to men around my age or older.
though i do admit, i don't think i look my age. ny mom is the same. (so thanks, mom, for the genes)
i don't expect that everyone my age will have the same amount of energy. and we know some of what makes us "older" is not due to heredity but to life style. but i'm off the point.
i THINK many men look for younger women and we (women) may feel that after 40 we have to compete with the young crowd, but i refuse to lol
i am who i am, i like the old guys and understand that we ALL get older every day.
 DragonBits
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/2/2012 4:25:52 PM
I really don't care how old I look, and don't put much significance on a woman's age. Which means I will date younger or older without losing any sleep over it. Don't worry about relating my past to someone else, it seems boring to me to date a clone, and I don't live much in the past and still think mostly about the future.

How a person thinks is more important to me than their life experiences.

What she looks like, how active she is, is she a positive person, what kind of chemistry do we have, is this going to be short term or long term, these things are important.

For myself, I care about my health and ability to earn a living. In a related sense, I want to be able to still do what I used to be able to do when I was 35. I was never into extreme sports, seldom played competitively with other men, have no injuries or health problems, so this shouldn't be difficult to achieve. It's not like I have an urge to go climb mountains, run a real marathon or play football.

If I can bike 40 miles or walk 10 miles with no problems and make money my way, I am golden. If someone doesn't like my age, looks, height or attitude, I can deal that, it's the same for me, not attracted to many woman myself.
 Walts
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/2/2012 4:27:20 PM
Appearances are deceiving, and with that, "looking younger than you are" is also a deceiving statement. Anybody got some old pics of parents,grandparents from years ago????? Take a look at those faces and see the lines????? Can ya guess THEIR ages????? Do they look "good" or "younger than they are" for that time period????? Compare them to the same age group in today's world. How about looking a pics of people from different locations here on POF, and see if you can see differences in their "look"?????

I don't know if I have ever stood in front of the mirror and ask myself if I "look" my age or not. I do know that some mornings getting out of bed I have "felt" a lot older, which is to be expected when knowing the things that I have done to it in the past. Other mornings, I can "feel" a lot better than the one before. All I know is that I'm usually pretty happy one way or the other cause I got to see another morning!!!!!

I also know that really, what I "think" means squat in the big picture.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/2/2012 4:43:53 PM
When someone says they look younger--it is a sign they aren't accepting where they are in life, I met a handsome 49 year old--guy was amazing but he is hung up on who he used to be--so sad that so many dont embrace who and what they are now and be happy and satisfied with it.
 wanderer1999
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2012 4:59:36 PM
I look like Me.

I leave impressions of my Apparent age to others.
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/2/2012 5:10:16 PM
People want to buy the "You do not look your age!" compliment so often and freely given. What is usually meant is "I want you to feel good about yourself when you are around me so you will like me."

We ALL look our age. Some of us look good, some not so good and most about average. We do not live in a Lake Wobegon world where we are all above average. Geez!
 FairOaksChick
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/2/2012 5:10:59 PM
Why are 39 year olds posting on this forum. Get outta here.
 BettyMcFattyPants
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/2/2012 5:22:00 PM

Ha ha ha! Damn kids. /shakes fist at monitor

I guess if you feel good, and are positive and cheerful, people overlook the wrinkles and saggy bits because they are enthralled with the power of positivity you throw out into the world. Kind of like bedazzling them with wit and laughter so they don't look behind the curtain of age spots and skin tags.

Whenever I compliment a person on looking good and "wow-you don't look your age at ALL!!" they get all happy and flustered even if they look 20 years older than their age. Everyone wants to believe they look good for their age.

Actually, everyone just wants to believe they look good.
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/2/2012 5:23:27 PM
How can someone look anything but the age they are?

I suppose if you have been out of the sun for your whole life, in a coma with no facial expression lines, it's possible.

I think people who want to believe they are "younger" have issues.

Aging happens.
 Walts
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/2/2012 5:28:34 PM

Oh Lord, I just spit coffee on the puter screen. Yeah, coffee. It's a holiday monday up here in the great north, and I think I have a headache. Still.

I did laugh though. Out loud. Seriously.
 sk1960
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/2/2012 5:35:33 PM
Maybe part of our problem is we think of our parents at our age - mine were old before their time ..... life was tougher then - they worked hard and they rarely had time for play. So now we look in the mirror and think of our parents - and I know I look young for my age - in comparison to them that is. I am not afraid to say I'm 51 and happy with it.

I should eat better, I should lose some weight - heck I should do a lot of things :) When a good song comes on when out with friends at a local club - one that just makes me get up and let go --- I am absolutely 21 again --- but only for the 3.5 minutes the song is on --- then I remember who I am, how old I am, and what I was doing 30 years ago .... until the next song that is :)

Maybe thats the way we should look at life - living life song by song, moment by moment and not worrying about how old we are or if we are younger than we look, or how much we weigh or what we ate for supper ..... I know easier said than done ..... but I might try it - what have I got to lose :)
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/2/2012 5:43:21 PM
I've met a few women who have posted pics that shall we say, are maybe from 10 yrs. ago or so,and apparently they STILL think they look the same....NOT!
 Lionesse19
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/2/2012 7:04:47 PM
Yes it is the same as those who say they are average weight when they are obese. If you are on a dating site then friendship is not what is wanted unless there is sex involved. If you feel good then it will show and men can age and be grey etc and still be attractive to women but not the reverse.
 _shakti_
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/2/2012 7:11:59 PM
I feel so ashamed.

\/\/ Oops, doubly so now!
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/2/2012 7:15:04 PM
I think that I DO look my age, and make no bones about it. But you should see my calves and rear...

I feel so ashamed.

Ya didna tellem about us, didja? Ha ha
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > age, appearance and what you think