Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > This extreame heat      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Notricksters
Msg: 1
view profile
History
This extreame heatPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Just wondering how everyone is coping with the extreme heat? Curious to find out how many answer. I'm in Iowa and the heat index at noon was 101 deg., and the humidity is horrible. How is everyone else doing? If this post is not liked by the moderator - please let me know.
 Lynxx1337
Msg: 2
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 12:16:29 PM
I live in Houston, Texas so I know the heat all so well. When I lived back in Michigan one way I would keep cool is getting by the rivers or lakes, but that if it has some sort of a slight breeze. I cope with the heat by when outside just having a light colored umbrella covering from the strong sun. I will tend to eat pickles to stop me from getting dehydrated. I know weird lol
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 3
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 12:16:55 PM

Just wondering how everyone is coping with the extreme heat? Curious to find out how many answer. I'm in Iowa and the heat index at noon was 101 deg., and the humidity is horrible.

FYI: A heat index of 101 is not extreme.

130F + is extreme, 101F is just really warm.

That said, I live by the ocean for a reason.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 4
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 12:30:48 PM
I never thought I would say it but I have adjusted to a cooler climate. Even here, the Summer is too hot at it's peak but thankfully, fairly short. I far prefer the crisp Autumn days. Once you are hot, and have removed your clothes, showered, stood in front of the air conditioner etc., you are out of options. At least in the Winter, an additional layer is easily added.

I'm by the ocean too - mere minutes to several locations which are not densely populated and provide the wonderful breeze off the Atlantic. Add to that the fantastic scenery and you'd be hard pressed to beat it.
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 5
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 12:36:47 PM
I am used to it, I have lived in Florida for a long time, & spent most of that time in the sub-tropical wheather of the Florida Keys.

Drink a lot of fluids, wear as little as possible (i live in tank tops, lightweight cotton shorts/capri's, bathing suits, & cotton sundresses in the summer. Try to do errands or go out early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Go for a swim mid-day is possible.

I thankfully, have central air now. LOVING IT. Fans dont cut it, & the window units usually burn out after awhile after being ran 24-7.
 windchymes
Msg: 6
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 12:37:33 PM
Speak for yourself, Aristotle. When you're a woman of menopausal age, anything over 90 is extreme, lol.
 Notricksters
Msg: 7
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 12:49:35 PM
Windchymes --luv your comment!!! I Forgot about that age group....Ahhhh- here's a cheer to all, a cold glass of ice & clear cool water!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 8
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 1:06:10 PM
well over here in edinburgh its the summer.

its rained most of the week and we had flooding. there was a thunder and lightning
show around 3 hours ago and the rain was bouncing up of the pavement.

the forecast is rain the morn, rain on friday and guess what? yep rain on saturday as well.

but sunny on sunday. when its no raining that is

its the t in the park festival this weekend as well. still i suppose the weather matters
plums when the stone roses are playing

vvvvvv

ooo ive been over to south africa in natal when i was a bairn. well 14 anyway. very very hot it was as well
but some brilliant electrical storms
 vestaceres
Msg: 9
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 1:10:08 PM
The highest I've experienced was 45C, in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, where I lived for a few years.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 10
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 1:21:31 PM
I'd welcome the thunderstorms and the rain. It's been hanging around 100 degrees here in North Texas for a few weeks now, without rain and likely none most of the summer. I'm used to it as a Native Texan. It beats last summer to heck and back when we had 110-113 degrees for days on end. That's hot, trust me.

Stay ahead of the heat. Lots of water and staying out of the midday heat unless you do ok in it and stay hydrated. I like to swim a lot. When it's really hot and I'm outdoors, I take a shower and leave my hair wet ( clip it up), place a frozen bottle of water at the small of my back and go at it outdoors.
 Extollere
Msg: 11
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 1:41:00 PM
Stay indoors, crank the central air or fans, and run around nekkit.

So far so good!
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 12
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 1:43:12 PM
I just came down from a heat wave in Ontario.
It broke just before I left.
However, now there is one in Illinois ... and I'm NOT liking it.
YUK!!!

We just live indoors.
 Notricksters
Msg: 13
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 1:56:18 PM
Vlad - Scotland??? I can't believe it, I'm in small town Iowa & you reply from Scotland..luv this internet & the forums!! Send Iowa a bit of rain, ok? everything is drying up. Take care & thanks for responding!!!
 RS101969
Msg: 14
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 2:13:08 PM
I got inside my refrigerator. You know, that little light does go out with the door closed!
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 2:24:41 PM
I have to work in the heat so have never used AC. I moved 1000 miles south in 77 and at first thought I was going to melt. Learned how to slow down the pace, drink lots and lots of water, do shade breaks, plan the day for working in the shade as much as possible, and when it gets too hot to handle metal materials or tools, call it a day, go home, take some cold showers and air dry on the deck.

Humans survived for thousands of generations without AC. It only takes a week or two to adjust to it if you allow yourself to do so. Seems a bit counter-productive to throw more coal and gas on the fire to run ACs longer and harder the hotter it gets from throwing wood and gas on the fires that are getting us this hot.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 16
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 2:36:33 PM
it gets up to 130-140 F. or so in Saudi Arabia and other Middle East locations..shed some sympathy for your troops in battle gear in Iraq where it can easily excess 110-120 F. at times -must be brutal in NBC gear (rubber suit w/ mask etc.)

people do adjust, to some 101 F. wouldn't be that hot
 Notricksters
Msg: 17
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 2:40:42 PM
Earthpuppy - love your profile!! but... wow the stamina to take the heat - but sorry to say,,,you definetly have one heck of a good theory around it. I'm just a plain ole country girl - and I know where you are comming from!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 18
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 3:22:13 PM
I've spent a good portion of my life living here in the "great valley of California" or the San Joaquin Valley ...
it's more or less a reclaimed desert ... stretches from north of L.A. to north of Sacramento ... arid, dry, hot ...
I rarely turn the A/C below 80 degrees because it would cost me too much for the electricity!

on those rare humid days, I just wilt and die! I really have sympathy for the folks who live in humid heat ...

when I was a kid here ... before they'd invented home air conditioning ... we had "swamp coolers" ... barrel
fans surrounded by straw mats that had water drizzled over them ... never made anything cooler ... just wetter!
as I recall, we also spent a lot of time playing in the sprinklers ... because we didn't have pools back then either!

ya gotta love the advent of home pools and air conditioning !!!
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 19
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 3:34:29 PM
Notricksters... I grew up farming and stacking hay in the hayloft in the heat of summer up north of La Crosse, WI. Hard to get hotter than the top of a hay loft up there. Or itchier in that heat. People were tougher a mere couple of generations ago. Or perhaps just dumber and died of heat stroke without much fanfare. Never seemed to both anyone like it does now.

PS..my dad became an Iowegian, marrying a woman from New Hampton at age 70, moving there and thriving amongst your kind for his last dozen years.
 robin-hood
Msg: 20
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 3:48:18 PM
Molly

Your wrong. Evap coolers work great except when the humidity is up, but even then they send air into home 20-F cooler than outside temperatures. I've been using one for 12 years and A/C has not been turned on since. They need to be sized and installed correctly. My electric bills are very cheap by comparison.

As for the rest of the nation I feel compassion, but where I live has been the best weather in many years. Right now at 3:30 its 80-F outside and dry, usually at this time of year its 90 to 105-F.

I was born and raised in Eastern USA, and never had home A/C. Left for west coast when I was around 30.
 SugahPunkin
Msg: 21
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:43:01 PM
When Debby came blowing thru the weather was quite cool and tons of rain here in Florida. Alot of the areas are still flooded but the heat is rising. We are accustomed to heat here in the South. I think it makes women mature faster... at least thats wha Blanche Devaroe on Golden Girls said when chatting about the loss of her virginity at an early age.
;)

Im looking forward to winter here..
 _shakti_
Msg: 22
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 6:51:42 PM
Hahah there was a major hail storm here yesterday, definitely cannot relate to complaints of too much heat. Maybe this summer there will be one whole solid week of good weather.. one can dream!
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 23
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 9:18:50 PM
Here in Southern Canada (Ontario) its hit 35C (95F) and humid. We're melting. The heat and humidity are pretty oppressive for us poor Canadians- even a lukewarm beer would feel good right about now.

I've been to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in June- usually about 50C (122 F) in the middle of the day. Very hot mind you, but very dry too- no water for a few hundred miles. You can walk around in it for an hour maybe, if your careful, move slow and stay hydrated. No good beer however- 0% alcohol only in the kingdom.

Still it beats shovelling snow- summer here's too short. I could handle 70-80 every day. Any good recommendations anyone?
 daynadaze
Msg: 24
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 10:27:51 PM
100+ is nothing new here in New Mexico but we don't have the humidity. I lived in Iowa for a long time and I don't miss that awful humidity at all. It's been hot here but it's always hot here in the summer. Today was cool, we had a kiddie pool set up for my granddaughter today but she about froze LOL up until yesterday it was 100 - 105 for weeks.
 Casper66
Msg: 25
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/4/2012 10:46:49 PM
We had a couple record breaking hot days here so far, today was 37C but 46C with the humidex, it was like a wall of heat when I went outside, I can take the heat but the humidity just drains the life out of me. We've had some wicked thunderstorms too. My poor AC is having a hard time coping, thank goodness for freezes and icecream.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > This extreame heat