Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What does it take to get a reply?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 2
What does it take to get a reply?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
You have a lot of competition.
Preference will be given to someone who has a photo AND an exciting profile.

Is that you?

Top that off ... you're separated.

Definitely not catch there.
 TC2u
Msg: 3
view profile
History
What does it take to get a reply?
Posted: 7/4/2012 3:05:41 PM
No pic, no reply, is the general rule.
 SlaveDriver8
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/4/2012 3:06:37 PM
Could it be because you don't seem to know the difference between 'their' and 'there'?
 grove_22
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/4/2012 3:15:46 PM
6 ft tall or more
annual income of 100k or more
8 inch penis or more
attractive photos

LOL
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/4/2012 3:19:46 PM

Separated? Ummm ... Yeah, you thought you could show your Wife how many chicks are hot for you?

Bwahaha!!!!!!
 WildDNA
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/4/2012 3:50:41 PM
Could be because you're from the UK. Could be that you have no picture. Could be that you're only separated, still married. Could be the type of women you're messaging. It could be the way you message them. So who knows?

Get your picture up there and see what floods in.
 barky bark
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:10:14 PM
I can't believe you're asking that!

Do you buy lottery tickets?

You have to drop ANY expectation of finding someone on here. Just post your best pics, put together the best profile you can and wait, and wait...
 scottey63
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:14:32 PM
A photo, definitely.
Correct spelling and punctuation, possibly.
 MyHandsHurt
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:40:10 PM
Message: Could it be because you don't seem to know the difference between 'their' and 'there'?

Also, "they're"
Let's not forget, "your and you're."
 SlaveDriver8
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:56:05 PM
I was limiting myself to just the error I saw in the opening message. After reading that, I was afraid to examine the profile.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:58:34 PM
~OP~ As has been clearly stated:
Separated
Terrible profile (you seriously need a profile review)
Lack of photo

You want responses? You need to finalize your divorce, plaster your face in your profile and at the very least? Spellcheck. JMO
 TheLongSpring
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:00:04 PM
Why hasn't this thread been deleted??

totally redundant
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:44:19 PM
WildDNA Could be because you're from the UK

Oh - that's my problem. No wonder I don't get messages or replies. You guys could have told me sooner, darn it.
 Triumph800rider
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:51:23 PM
Perhaps it is because you are looking for an "illusive" lady. Hate to break it to you pal, but illusive isn't a word so no such woman exists.

Bad grammar, spelling errors and no concept of an apostrophe's function is the online equivilant to bad breath and a comb over.
 Extollere
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/4/2012 6:05:44 PM
Too many lols. I would ditch those completely. Tighten up your sentences, too.

Beyond that, "I have many" is not going to give a woman much to go on as far as your interests are concerned. Not everyone is going to feel compelled to read your written bio or ask for more info right off the bat. Think of your Interests section as a way to lure someone in and make them curious to read what you've written. As it stands, it just looks lazy.

Other than that and the other helpful hints you've received here, it could very well be the content of your first messages, so consider examining what you're sending out as well.

Best thing to do - check your Viewed Me list. If the women you are messaging are making it as far as your profile and quitting there, that's your answer.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/4/2012 6:10:46 PM
"Bad grammar, spelling errors and no concept of an apostrophe's function is the online equivilant to bad breath and a comb over." Yes, but no pic and separated is the equivalent to having herpes and living with your parents......or just having herpes.
 ARIESLOOKING192150
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/4/2012 6:43:34 PM
Allow someone who has been here for a while to explain it to you.
(1) Check your profile. Make sure it says what you want it to say. Download a spelling and grammar checker. Use it. If you pay attention you will find that there are a lot of spelling and grammar snobs on here. They will write you off just because of that. You also have to remember that shallowness abounds when you date on line. Lots and lots of shallow people. Get pictures ASAP! Smile.

After that, Stop giving a damn if anyone answers or not. The quicker you learn that the better off you will be. When you finally get to the point to where you stop caring, They will start to come out of the wood work. I've gotten plenty of dates from here. Their are times when I may write three or four. Then there are times I may go three or four months and not write anyone. That's when they write me a lot of the time. What you have to understand is, Desperation stinks. And if a woman smells it on you that will run a woman off faster than her finding out you live with your parents. POF is well-known across the internet for its lack of people returning messages. I've seen several message boards with topics about this. Look for other sites. Believe me, There are plenty of other sites out there with better message return rates.

Don't rely on POF to get a date. You do,You will fail. Look out in the real world to. Look at other sites. You will come out better in the long run.

One last thing. separated = Still married. A lot of people will not go there. If I read on a profile separated, I move on to the next one. I don't do separated.

One last thing, Don't listen to these whiners. I've been here all in all since 2005. I've gotten somewhere around 50 or more dates from here. It's all in how you handle it. Look at me. I'm about as "average" as it gets. Plus, I'm a little over weight. Hasn't hurt me any.
 jlynn422
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/4/2012 6:58:03 PM
This is totally a turn off, poor spelling means there is no way I am going to respond.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/4/2012 7:26:59 PM
I look at it like an iteration of the GIGO......garbage in, garbage out. In this case, you throw up some crap and expect people to treat it like you're some treasure. If there was an award for least dateable, your profile would be nominated.
 grnecountrygirl
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/4/2012 9:23:02 PM
nhra1966, Hi hmm according to you, you have to be a hunk that is definitely not true...
Women are looking for the whole package, looks, intelligence, humor, etc..
I do not think that you are bad looking, you have a nice smile and sweet eyes..your pic with your daughter I am assuming is well done. The other pics are not well done, out of focus and are not effective.
Also you tend to go into what you like and you sound like a sports junkie, and that is your only focus, where does a women fit into this. Your already telling a women who might have the least interest in you, HOW TO DRESS, NOT TO WEAR MAKEUP. Your also making excuses for your career and your income...why????
I have only been on this site for a short time and have decided to stay with the forums and learn what I can about relationships etc...
I myself am just getting out of a bad relationship, give it time, enjoy your kids, enjoy your life, hey New York is a big city, can't think of a better place..to find someone. God bless and good luck..
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/4/2012 9:27:43 PM

Unless your a hunk with muscles dont bother with the pic trust me, women on here only want models looks in a guy, even average looks wont get replies,
Would you please quit repeating this crap. Its total B.S.

I am very average looking and do GREAT on here. Just because you wrote a loser profile and no one is interested in you doesnt mean all guys are having the same amount of luck on here as you.

Cowboy's right. When you were brand new here, I tried to explain to you that your attitude and the fact you're separated was going to be a much bigger problem than your appearance. Clearly you still do NOT get it. It is NOT your appearance that is keeping the ladies at bay. You have very little positive to say about yourself. There is NO bigger turn off than a man who blames someone else's looks for their luck with the ladies. There aren't many of those "model" type men on this planet ~ talking like that is just simply ridiculous. As I mentioned to you a while ago ~ hide your profile, hit the gym, take up some new hobbies, get a little counseling to figure out your portion of the recently failed marriage and THEN try to meet someone. The world looks entirely different when we like what we see in our own mirror. And that? Starts from the inside. If you don't like you? Not many other people are going to like you. JMO
 bucsgirl
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/4/2012 9:31:00 PM
"unless your a hunk with muscles dont bother with the pic trust me, women on here only want models looks in a guy" Unless you were formerly a woman on here, or a paid spokesperson for the entire gender, you're only talking about your assumption of the women you've selected to attempt to contact.....is it a safe bet you haven't had many replies or met many...let's consider that rhetorical.

The only things you've proven by your post is your ignorance of how women think and behave. It doesn't matter how you look bitterness and a snarly attitude are extremely unattractive and a definite turn off.
 Triumph800rider
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 9:58:03 PM

unless your a hunk with muscles dont bother with the pic trust me, women on here only want models looks in a guy, even average looks wont get replies, as far as separated, they shouldnt have that option on here, me for instance ive been single like i say, for 8 months, divorce will be final in a few weeks but still cant officially put divorced, so i am single not separated, profile review is a joke because again if your not a male model the women wont bother looking at the profile, i never get replies, just ugly for all the women on here i guess just my 2 cents.

Please

Dude, I had no problem finding dates on here and I have a freaking mullet! The bell bottom jeans of hairstyles.

Stop all of this bitterness. It is unbecoming.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/4/2012 10:04:58 PM

Dude, I had no problem finding dates on here and I have a freaking mullet! The bell bottom jeans of hairstyles.

****Snort**** And I'll bet it's your sense of humor that drew the ladies to the mullet.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 11:32:36 PM
How many of those messages you sent were to women with no photos?...Duh!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What does it take to get a reply?