Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 3
Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
When I go out I always make sure I dress appropriately.
But then I own my own business, and I'm expected to present myself well.
 KAKI3152
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?
Posted: 7/5/2012 7:40:57 AM
I think best foot forward is the way to go. When I go on a first date, I have dress nicely with a nice shirt, nice pants and a good pair of shoes. I do also look at my date to see how she is "put together". You can never take back a first impression.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2012 9:16:45 AM
I had a guy show up in sweats, guess he thought it hid the gut that wasn't in his 10 year old pics. I live in a foothill rural area, clean jeans and button up shirt is upper casual lol So if meeting for coffee that is what I wore. The ONE showed up in the same,...it was just what ya wear here if you are into horses and that life style. This was in January, if it was now a sundress would be the ticket.

I don't even leave my house in sweats, I work out here and would be hard pressed to wander around in public dressed like that.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/5/2012 12:29:56 PM
Funny story--had a date at 4 at a wine bar--my daughter came over uninvited to help lol--so she takes the dress I picked out to wear and says, "Mom you are just meeting--wear jeans and a dressy top!"

Get to the date and he is in jeans and I think awesome--glad I listen to my daughter--well the date went for 4 hours and he looks at me at one point and says " You look great but I would have preferred a dress (he is that type of guy, and his way of saying in the future wear a dress!). Then he add normally I wear chinos and I dressed up in jeans!

life is good!

I have had a man meet me in sweats and I wasn't thrilled especially since he said he had left the gym and wanted me to wait an hour to meet him.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/5/2012 2:37:18 PM
I wore a dress and heels to Walmart today. Some of us dress "up" for just about any occasion.
 vanityfair55
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/5/2012 5:12:31 PM
I may wear jeans but would have on heels etc and would have a manicure/pedicure before also. And I think someone can tell I workout without me showing up in sweats!How crazy is that! I've only met 2 people from online in the last few years and they both were dressed nice.
 wanderer1999
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2012 6:23:21 PM
I always try to dress appropriately.

However, if in doubt, it's always better to overdress than underdress.

It's easy to forgive someone who looks too good... it's hard to recover when you look awful.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2012 6:57:58 PM
I hear ya, Drestin. I work in an atmosphere where people dress very upscale -- even their casual clothes are upscale. And I grew up with women who believed in looking like WOMEN.....the drdss, nails done, "nicely put together" thing. Jeans are okay, but they aren't "dress up" clothes.

I have met men for coffee who looked like they pulled their outfits from the "dirty clothes hamper" and put them on.....EWWWWWWWWWWWWW
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2012 10:57:24 PM
^ I agree with both of you. He expects you to dress up while he dresses casual. :(
 ladyc4
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/6/2012 11:39:22 AM
I'm about the most casual, laid-back, low-maintenance woman in the world, but the only way I can even BEGIN to imagine showing up to a date in sweats would be if the date was to whitewash the henhouse, bale hay or stretch fence...
As to why any other woman on the planet would choose to come to a date wearing sweats or other uber-casual clothing, I wouldn't dare to speculate.
Cindy O
 jaqi
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 1:41:55 PM
I always pop a dress on whenever I go and meet ... which isn't that often these days as I am always dancing :) I am never overdressed ... everyone else is underdressed!
 Bassbob47
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2012 1:32:53 PM
I dress how i always dress casual but smart, i must admit i like my ladies casual too, if there all done up Laura ashley style, i find that a tad off putting.
 Thornz2000
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/13/2012 5:18:26 PM
I was always taught 1st impression is lasting impression.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/13/2012 8:58:57 PM

Thornz2000
I was always taught 1st impression is lasting impression.

Dang, I better get my Tux cleaned and pressed for that coffee meet and greet at Starbucks, want to give a good first impression. On second thought, that's stupid and she'll think I'm weird showing up like that. What you wear depends on the situation, who and where you're meeting.
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/14/2012 6:07:56 AM
Casual as I normally wear, freshly showered, well groomed with cologne & my clothes are pressed. I expect the same in a woman, well groomed & in attire she'd typically wear.

Only one showed up dressed down. How rude. Maybe it's a "I'm sexy & I know it" (I work out) mentality. I sarcastically said "every man's dream" about her dirty sweats, no make-up & muffed hair.Wonder why she left?
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/14/2012 10:56:53 PM
Show up how you normally dress, not how you think they'd want you to. If they don't like the way you dress then they're not the person for you anyways. In the end it comes down to, "to thine own self be true". Don't try and be someone you're not, because you can only keep that up so long. Then the true you comes out and if they can't handle the true you, they'll be gone.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/15/2012 6:30:44 AM
I dress pretty casual for a first meet being that they are usually held at a coffee shop or a pub. Jeans or a jean skirt with a nice top. If I accept a dinner invitation then I will dress accordingly.

A friend of mine said she went on a meet and the guy showed up wearing cut off jean shorts and crocks. Too funny. would have loved to see the incredulous look on her face. *Grins*

...mae
 JAXDiver
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2012 10:17:29 PM
*mae* wrote:
A friend of mine said she went on a meet and the guy showed up wearing cut off jean shorts and crocks. Too funny. would have loved to see the incredulous look on her face. *Grins*

In most beach camps in Florida, cut-off jeans and crocks is standard apparel. Cargo shorts and a Golf shirt is "dressed up".

Cheers!
JAX
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/16/2012 10:26:13 PM

In most beach camps in Florida, cut-off jeans and crocks is standard apparel. Cargo shorts and a Golf shirt is "dressed up".

Oh oh....maybe I just offended a whole lot of people.

A little off topic but last summer when my doctor went on holidays the doctor that took over for him walked into the examination room and he was wearing a pair of clogs. I kinda did a double take.

...mae
 TryAgan
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2012 11:00:56 PM
I dress up but the level depends on the destination.
Obviously, I always shower and change my clothes and make an effort with my appearance.

If we went to opera, I would put on my dark suit. But since usually the meetings detoriate to a walk in the park, I wear jeans and long-sleeve cotton shirt. In early spring, I don a mosquito vest.

I definitely shower for the third date.
 afixerupper
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:58:44 AM
Being a person of very modest means, and very limited wardrobe, I go with what I got. If he doesn't like what I'm wearing, he sure as hell won't like what I didn't wear, lol. I am not a dresser upper. Used to be, but no more. The main pleasant surprise I could present when we met would be that I am about forty pounds or so less than my profile photo. Hopefully that would be seen as an unexpected positive, and help him to perhaps let the jury be out until he knew more.

I would wear better stuff if I could afford it, sure. As far as the guy, I would take heart and brains over style any day. He can come in whatever he wants to wear, as I will not be playing out an episode of "What Not to Wear" in my mind. Thats not what I want to know about someone. I want to know how they are, who they love, what drives them nuts, what they do for fun and if it meshes with my idea of fun. I want to know where they've been, where they are going, what they need help with in life. I want to know how open they are to love, loss and emotional risk. Everyone has past events that they are somewhat stalled on, have trouble moving past. I'd like to know about that too. Most have dreams they have not given up on. I want to know that. I don't care what country his clothes were made in, or if his sunglasses came from the 99 cent store. I want to know HIM. That's all. I just cross my fingers he wants to know the same stuff about me, not judge me by my not so snazzy clothes
 TeachingPro06
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/28/2012 10:32:25 AM
I personally like to dress for whatever the venue is. If it's just dinner and a movie, I'll go with a sports coat, nice jeans, and a crisp ironed shirt. It's a casual look, not to over the top, and can pretty much fit most dating nights out. Go with whatever you feel most comfortable in.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/28/2012 4:02:25 PM
I always pull on a fresh pair of Depends before a first meet!
 natgoat227
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2012 12:37:13 PM
I ~Dress-Up~
There wouldn't be much hidden...if I Dressed ...
(From a pair of Lounging Shorts and a sweatshirt!)
I like to show that I have s o m e respect for the Lady...class and style!
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2012 1:53:23 PM
A nice looking woman shows up in sweats, deal me in. I would much rather see someone in their dressed down, minimal primping I'm going to the market to shop casual state first, just smell nice is all.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?