Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > I can take it in stride but this kinda sucks      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 maninthemask92
Msg: 1
I can take it in stride but this kinda sucksPage 1 of 1    
So this started on Monday. I got home from work and it was raining, and I had nothing better to do, so I went on Craigslist to indulge in one of my new favourite pastimes: reading the personals section and laughing at the poor saps who post the most straight-up ridiculous things.

However, one post caught my attention. It was for a girl my age who listed herself as attractive with a good sense of humor, not into getting wasted and clubbing, and looking for a tall guy. So I thought to myself, "Screw it. I'll reply to this. Because I'm bored and it will be funny."

So I sent an email with the subject line as "Is 6'5" tall enough?" And basically just asked, "If you're attractive and have these good qualities, what on earth are you doing on Craigslist looking for a relationship?"

Anyways, she replied, and then we had a conversation that went back-and-forth about 5 or 6 emails each, we seemed to have quite a few mutual interests, and she seemed pretty cool, and I was thinking "Well this went a whole lot better than I was expecting." Then she asked to exchange pictures. So I sent one, and didn't get a reply back. Not wanting to be creepy, I sent another reply the next day asking if something wrong, and the reply I got caught me completely off guard.

Apparently she knows me, and said that it was awkward and that we should stop talking. However, she wouldn't say who she was. Her email address said her name was [not posting it for privacy] and since I don't know anybody else by that name I called bs.

Last email I got back was this:
"Okay, I don't have a problem with your photo, I'm not trolling, and I've had lots of emails but I'm not doing this out of comparison. I know you, and you don't know me by the name [name] because it's not my first name, but anyway I feel really awkward and I don't want either of us sharing with people we know that we met on craigslist. I won't tell anyone. Please just let it go. I'm sorry, I know this is weird, just let it go though. Thanks."

So now there's this random person I know who is awesome and who I'd ask out in a second but I have no [expletive] clue who it is. I swear these things only happen to me. Not looking for advice or anything, just wanted somewhere to rant.
 gcdeb
Msg: 2
I can take it in stride but this kinda sucks
Posted: 7/6/2012 2:28:03 AM
LOL that would bother me no end. You could be talking to this girl every day and not know it :(
Have you tried googling the alternative name that she used?
 maninthemask92
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/6/2012 2:35:48 AM
Was just a name and a last initial, email address didn't get any hits either.

You could be talking to this girl every day and not know it :(
No kidding.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/6/2012 2:39:48 AM
Nothing you can do other then hope she also had some real interest before being startled about knowing you. If she had, she might just approach you in person as strike up a conversation without ever mentioning the Craigslist incident.
 Attercop
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/6/2012 8:17:02 AM
She's letting you down easy by telling you a lie.
Posted: 7/6/2012 8:19:39 AM
AwKwArD!! Wow!

I like what Import had to say........hopefully that's what will happen!
 happy_in_pink
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/6/2012 9:18:12 AM
You can't take dating sites seriously. You have to approach dating sites with a positive attitude and a big sense of humor.

I tell myself at lot of things just weren't meant to be. Trust me on this one, some times the universe does us a favor. I know it's hard but you have to let it go. You have to keep throwing things behind you and keep moving forward.

My mom used to tell me that all experiences serve as a learning experience. Think of the bright side, you didn't get involved and go through a painful breakup.

You will be fine. Stand tall, hold your head up high, and say, "Next" lol
 carolann0308
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2012 11:35:38 AM
You emailed your own sister dude. LOL
 maninthemask92
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/6/2012 12:20:56 PM

You emailed your own sister dude. LOL

Hahahaha now THAT would be awkward. But she's 15 so it definitely wasn't her.
 Arata_na_Yoake
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/6/2012 1:38:35 PM
I bet that Craigslist girl was a guy. Maybe your best bud?
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/6/2012 1:48:00 PM

Then she asked to exchange pictures. So I sent one, and didn't get a reply back. Not wanting to be creepy, I sent another reply the next day asking if something wrong, and the reply I got caught me completely off guard.
Apparently she knows me, and said that it was awkward and that we should stop talking. However, she wouldn't say who she was.

70% chance it was a guy, CL picture collector who collects them for *other* nefarious websites he trolls..

20% chance it was one of your sister's friends that you take little notice of, but may have a crush on you.

10% chance it was your sister. Deal with it, move on and smile more when around your sisters friends...
 maninthemask92
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/6/2012 2:08:08 PM
Dude, I just said my sister's 15. Therefore, her friends are 15. I'm 19. That's just creepy.
 LeoGoddess11
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2012 4:54:57 PM
The first thing I thought was....she may be the mom of a friend, or one of your neighbors...a teacher?...a Pastor? I'm thinking she might be someone you know and perhaps she was not truthful about her age. Men are not the only ones on this site looking for a fling.
Well, good luck!
 YouKnowYaWanna
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/6/2012 5:31:17 PM
maybe it is your mom... ya never know
 Namaste9119
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/6/2012 5:57:11 PM
She is probably married to one of your friends. I'd be on the look out for a strange vibe from the wife of one of your friends, or worse, your sister in law.
 Attercop
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/6/2012 6:13:23 PM
I'm having fun reading the guesses, but I don't see how it doesn't boil down to her being a liar.

If it was the photo she didn't like (I doubt that), and she wanted to break contact without saying that, and made all this up to spare OP's feelings -- liar.

If she's putting herself forth as a 19-year-old single girl, and she's anything but that -- liar.

If she is as she says -- 19-year-old single girl -- and she's sincere about meeting somebody to date, but doesn't plan to admit it was on craigslist -- liar.

If she is as she says and she does know the OP -- then she also already knows she doesn't want to date him...
...bee-cuz -- if she knew him and considered him date bait -- he'd be on equal footing with any other guy she meets from craigslist. But instead, she invokes the "I don't want people knowing we met on craigslist" -- illogical liar.

Awkwardness wouldn't happen from dating.
Awkwardness would happen from encountering each other after having interacted on a dating site but then not dating.

Glad you can take it in stride, OP. Every online dater will encounter leads that seem promising but go nowhere; mysteries; and seemingly inexplicable behaviors.
 Byrd
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2012 9:06:21 PM
Dating sites are creepy you never know what your going to get. While reading your rant about this person the thought that kept coming up is that this person whos ad you answered is a man. I would let it go you don't need weird trouble.
 maninthemask92
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/7/2012 12:38:39 AM

She is probably married to one of your friends.
Oh cool, another person who has no idea what's going on. How many times have I said I was 19? How many of my friends could possibly be married?

At least Attercop is on the right track, I was pretty much thinking the same things.
 forums1
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/7/2012 6:36:18 AM

Dude, I just said my sister's 15. Therefore, her friends are 15. I'm 19. That's just creepy.

But, she was using a fake name, and said you wouldn't know her by "that name"? So what's to say she was using her real age??
 organicquestionmark
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 2:48:56 PM
BYRD! What a blast from the past............good to see you!

OP: Seriously doubt it was your sister or your mom.........good grief. Chin up!! This IS an awkward situation but you'll be fine.
 AxeMurderer75
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/8/2012 3:00:11 PM
It's someone you know that isn't interested in you or believes that you wouldn't be interested in her.

Possibly it's a relative.

Possibly it's someone who didn't like your picture and wanted to let you down easy.

If you want to know if she's lying, try again with a picture of a really ugly guy and see if she feeds you the same line! lol
 AxeMurderer75
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/8/2012 3:01:46 PM
It could very well be the wife of someone you know!
 AxemanMixer
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2012 5:08:49 PM
It happens. As it turns out, it happened to me. I was in need of someone I could talk to, someone I could relate to, anyone.. This one gal that answered my add seemed very upfront and intelligent. She was a great chat and by the third e-mail said we went to school together. She got this by my e-mail address and name, no pics were ever sent. I was suprised at first but was quickly relieved as there was now this common link. Is it common for that to happen on CL? Not sure. Sorry yours was more negative. Things could be worse, like getting a divorce with kids involved.
 amore01
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/8/2012 6:13:55 PM
this is crazy and akward..and my guess is a friends wife.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > I can take it in stride but this kinda sucks