Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Blackberry Mascarpone Tart      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Blackberry Mascarpone TartPage 1 of 1    
I haven't posted anything in quite a while..but made a Blackberry Mascarpone Tart the other day that was rather incredible and had to share it with you. I was thinking of something to share at a 4th of July potluck...and was rolling Blackberry Cobbler around in my head. I happened to walk into my local market..and there at the entrance they had the most awesome looking blackberries I think I've ever seen. The darn things were as big as your thumb...and very firm, not mushy or green at all. So as I wandered around the store a little mascarpone cheese caught my eye and the mind started to work. I picked up a tub..got home and searched a bit for a recipe on the 'net, and found one that made a filling out of just mascarpone, heavy cream and powdered sugar. The crust wasn't too difficult...but they only wanted to place the blackberries right on top of the mascarpone filling. I wasn't quite satisfied with that...so the wheels started to turn again. What if I took some dark purple plums and cooked them down with some blackberries to make a glaze for under the blackberries? Now I had a plan...and here's how it went.

Took a cup and a half of all purpose flour...and half a cup of almonds (ground fine in a small food processor) , cup of sugar, and a stick of butter (use more or less...just beat together and press into a 9 inch tart pan. I had a springform pan with a removable bottom that worked really well to release the crust after baking. I baked the crust for 20 minutes at 350..and it was just barely showing a bit of brown when I took it out and let it cool overnight.

After getting the crust done, I cleaned each and every blackberry individually, trying very carefully to not break them up...or mash them. I rinsed them under running water, placed them in a stainless steel bowl, spread a bit of sugar on them and added a few splashes of lemon juice. Once they were in the bowl...I took another bowl and poured them bowl to bowl to blend the sugar without breaking them. After sugaring, I put them in the fridge overnight to absorb the sugar.

Then...I took 4 very nice dark purple plums (they were a beautiful purple all the way through) and pitted and sliced them into a saucepan...added some water, 5-6 blackberries...a generous dose of sugar (at least 1/4 cup..but probably not over 1/3) and a splash of lemon juice. Cooked them down till everything was pretty much liquid...and then strained them through a strainer. It was a pretty fine strainer, and I'm sure I spent at least 30 minutes working that pulp till the only thing left was the blackberry seeds. It made it more difficult with the skins from the plums...but I'm sure the color it added was worth it. The smell while cooking it down was simply amazing!
I then refrigerated it until morning when I planned on making the filling.

So...I got up the next morning with a lot of anticipation because the glaze was looking and smelling so excellent...and proceeded to make the filling. 8 oz. of mascarpone cheese and 1 cup of powdered sugar with a half cup of heavy cream was what the recipe called for. I remember thinking..this is too easy, I better watch out or I'm going to turn this cream into butter. Sure enough..I didn't read my recipe close enough...they advised blending the sugar and mascarpone together first..then slowly adding the cream. I ended up with one batch that was little more than a lumpy sweet mess..LOL! After venturing out for another tub of mascarpone...I got it right the second time. The recipe wanted you to blend it with a paddle on your mixer and then whisk it till it formed stiff peaks...I found the stiff peaks formed without even using the whisk attachment. After I got it blended, I then put about a 1/4 inch layer in the tart crust. After smoothing it out nicely, I then added the glaze very carefully to the top...smoothing it out in another 3/16 thick layer. After all the smoothing, all it took was arrainging the blackberries all around the top of the tart...and wow..I think I could have served it to royalty it looked so good. Took it to the potluck..and after the oohs and aahhs...we got busy eating and it soon became apparent how good it really was. I can't tell you how that glaze tasted, you'll just have to make it yourself...but it was one awesome addition to the recipe.

...The only thing I want to do different next time...is figure out the crust a bit better. The crust tasted awesome, but because I made it in a springform pan...the lower corner around the edge was rather thick. When we cut it..it was very hard to cut..and ended up being very "crispy". I don't know if I should bake it a few minutes less...or whether technique pushing it into the pan made it harder than I wanted...but I'm going to experiment with it...and hope maybe one of you can give me a few tidbits of advice.

...Edited note: I just ate a piece of this tart Friday night..3 days after making the crust. By now..enough moisture had worked into the crust..that it was firm but not crispy. It cut beautifully...and for future reference...I might say it could be made at least a day ahead of time and refrigerated until you want to serve it.
 michele6259
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Blackberry Mascarpone Tart
Posted: 7/6/2012 4:54:47 PM
oh man! my daughter just came in with a colander full of THE sweetest blackberries.
It's way too hot here for the oven, but berries with mascarpone cream sounds delicious for tonight's dessert.
 Fifi47
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/11/2012 7:42:08 PM
I don't eat blackberries, wonder if another fruit would work? Sounds like a marvelous summertime dessert
 Fifi47
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/11/2012 10:17:29 PM
Blueberries instead of blackberries sounds tummy, thanks
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2012 11:35:57 AM
The glaze is what really made this tart special, otherwise you could use any other fruit out there...from peaches to strawberries. I can imagine rasberries being used...and a glaze made the same way (I might use a regular plum rather than the "dark purple") I can also imagine blueberries being used...the same way. As for any other fruits..I am a little leery of how they would come out. A strawberry glaze with just strawberry puree would be fine...It wouldn't have the plums in it at all. And I've processed peaches in much the same way...cooked them down until they were a nice sauce. So yeah...my attempt at a glaze was just an experiment....so you might as well give it a whirl too.
 NewIdeas4Me
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/8/2012 2:38:08 PM
A good technique for even crust in a springform pan is to use a small glass pyrex custard cup and work the crust with it. Doesn't stick to your fingers and when even, I just pat the edge of the crust so it's the same height all the way around.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2012 6:11:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestion...I think I did use one of those little pyrex cups, but still didn't get the crust quite as thin as I wanted at the bottom corner. I'm wondering more about the ingredients in the crust. The flour/ground almond ratio that I used. Also the amount of butter. Like I said though after a couple days the moisture seeped into the crust making it very nice, so I'm not too far off, just need to experiment..:)
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Blackberry Mascarpone Tart