Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > contraception fact or fiction,      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 EvilLolli
Msg: 4
view profile
History
contraception fact or fiction, Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Condoms are not just for pregnancy prevention. They help prevent the spread of STD's, and since seniors are a group that is showing a significant INCREASE in the spread of STD's (mainly because they refuse to use condoms-since they only see them as pregnancy control), I would think that is definitely something to think about. Also consider for men there are many STD's that they may not show symptoms for or even be aware they have, so their excuse of "I've been lucky", really only extends to not making babies, they may not know what other party favors they have. Just because a person appears clean doesn't mean they are, or they could LIE.

I recommend you seek the advice of a medical professional (ob/gyn) for better and more accurate information about your sexual health. Good luck!
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 7
contraception fact or fiction,
Posted: 7/6/2012 11:16:09 PM
Like in Vegas, enjoy life and just roll the dice...
 newonthescene76
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2012 11:51:53 PM
Please get your yourself and your partners tested for all STDs, including HIV. There is an increase in the rate of infection among individuals 50 and older. Moreover, the rate of mortality from HIV is significantly higher for older people who are diagnosed with HIV. Use condoms.
 windchymes
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 6:43:41 AM
I've guess I've been "lucky" because all the gents over 40 that I've been with have come already vasectomied.
 neck romancer
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 10:27:53 AM
this ad is relevant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R-GEwUW0Eg

pls use condoms
 vestaceres
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:53:17 AM
CONDOMS - and proper use of them will decrease your risk significantly. Ladies in your age group with whom intermingle with men in the same group, are at a greater risk of contracting HIV, because healthcare providers don't test routinely. More over, people within your age group tend to deny that high risk of HIV transmission is interlinked to _their_ sexual activity.
 errant71
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/7/2012 4:16:59 PM

Also, the risk of cervical cancer increases with the number of exposures women have to different "unclad" partners.[/qyote]

Hate to be the bearer of 'bad tidings' but ... the risk of cervical cancer is related to the risk of contracting a high-risk HPV (high risk for cervical cancer). THAT risk is also associated with "clad" partners ... it's a field virus and can be spread in spite of condom use. Look it up.

You are the one responsible for your own health and well being. [/qyote]

Totally agree!
 theforumfiend
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/7/2012 5:38:38 PM
Don't worry about how the men will react. You have yourself to protect. Don't think that just because you've been "lucky" that you won't get pregnant. There are many women in their 50's that thought they were safe and got that Late Life Surprise. Do you want to even chance being the one going in pregnant with an STD?
 meowkatt2012
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/8/2012 6:13:58 AM
My Dr freaked me out. Im almost 56 and blood test even showed im not very close to menopause. He said I could get pregnant. I figured my eggs were just too old. I just wish my period would stop at my age. Most guys figure I've stopped or had tubes ties or hysterectomy. Luckily I use condoms most of the time but now I started using VCF. They totally melt and have no.taste or anything. I has used them years ago & im using a bit of natural timing and not using when I shouldn't be fertile. Ugggg look how old i am
. Im gonna check if my insurance pays for tubal
 OutMind
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/8/2012 8:27:14 AM

had always been lucky

That is like saying, I never wear a seat belt.
 errant71
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/8/2012 11:44:41 AM

Yes. HPV is considered a significant risk factor with respect to cervical cancer. Hopefully, most sexually active adults are aware there is no such thing as "safe" sex, only "safer" sex. I hope you aren't suggesting that the fact condoms aren't foolproof means they are not worthwhile?

Nope ... would never suggest condoms aren't worthwhile in preventing any STD. Certainly they reduce risk, including HPV. Certainly there is, indeed, only safer sex. Was simply pointing out that "unclad" is not the only way HPV is acquired. Which means, as women, we need to continue testing for HPV/cervical cancer (as well as other STDs) regardless of whether we indulge in "unclad" or "clad" sex.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > contraception fact or fiction,