Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How important is physical condition?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 2
How important is physical condition?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Well, the positives are you can not run away to far if you get into a fight, or will probably not be stepping out on your girl due to lack of range and motion...You need one of those women that like to care for injured birds, like a care giver, with a big heart...No, it would not be a deal breaker, as I would just carry my date everywhere...
 vestaceres
Msg: 4
How important is physical condition?
Posted: 7/7/2012 1:59:03 AM
People tend to be selfish, self-centered, and afraid of any imperfection that would mirror their own, so these people can be safely ignored. There are an accepting number of us who are more interesting in people than they are by what the people can _give_ us, in such an exchange.

Best wishes.
 Betsy47
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 6:44:59 AM
I had a fiance who passed away five years ago. He had diabetes and also had to use oxygen at times. He couldn't go hiking or backpacking with me, but he would transport me to my stepping off point and pick me up when I was done. He could going canoeing with me and we had fun with card games and other activities. I guess it depends on what you want to make of the situation.
 chelseajkt1
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 7:15:47 AM
I had a car accident in 2008. The orthopaedic surgeons have been playing humpty dumpty ever since. I've had 2 knees replaced, 2 arthroscopies, joint replacement in my thumb. I've had problems from my neck to my feet. I have a knee, spine,hand,foot orthopaedic surgeons, sports medicine physician and a pulmonary physician where glass is lodged in my lung. I'm pretty well fixed now after alot of money spent on medical issues. I tell people about the knees and it usually scares them away. That's their issue not mine. I look at where I have come from and it's a heck of alot better than it was. I do approximately 2 hrs of exercising a day and I can make it work with that. I just finished 12 sessions of physical therapy and have worked hard. I'm going to nursing school in the fall. I need to keep exercising other than that I will be having foot surgery because my foot is collapsing. At some point it needs to be done if I can hold off for 3 years I will. It will entail being non weight bearing for 4 days in a walking cast for 8 weeks, in a walking boot for 8 weeks and it will take a year to heal. I plan on exercising for as long as I can and going in for physical therapy maintenance when necessary. I have great surgeons, great physical therapists including occupational therapist for my hands. I've learned how to advocate for myself and not take the answer no if possible. If it's possible I will do it. I have my own mini gym at home so I can pretty much do anything on my own. The guy who hit me totalled a car, suv and a truck. My version is he was either on drugs, alcohol or a suicide mission. He lied to the police and said he had a seizure.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/7/2012 1:09:42 PM

Any orthopedic injury is permanent and means a lifetime of rehab, but a lot of people who are permanently injured can run circles around the average uninjured person.

Abelian that is so true. While I can't run circles (probably will never be able to run again) I am certainly in far better shape than most of the population, especially my much skinnier friends! I have more stamina and walked at least 5 k everyday on top of the gym and swimming

OP the issue of attitude is so very important. I badly broke my leg three years ago, permanently damaged my ankle, had to have knee surgery and seriously stressed my hip. 18 months ago I was told I would never be able to walk again without using a cane. Four months later the cane was gone. Was then told I would always have to wear orthopedic shoes. (Those ugle old shoes are hiding in the back of my closet). Why am I better, because I knew I could be. I was in the pool and at physio within four weeks of the break. Swam while I had to be lowered into the pool from the lift. Endured all the torture the physiotherapist and rehab therapist could put me through. Sometimes sat and cried during the sessions, but continued on. Yes Igained weight while in the wheelchair, but that is coming off slowly and surely. I also see still the physiotherapist twice a month to reevaluate my exercise program.

For me it is not so much physical condition as attitude. I have had contact with men my age who are seriously physically compromised and not interested in doing anything about it. I am not interested in someone like that. However, someone who has had an injury or in your case a tumour removed is a different story, as long as you are working at getting better your physical condition will only improve. Be honest but also tell any dates/meet that you continue to work on getting better. By the way, despite all the walking I do, I still walk with a slight limp (that is why my exercise program has to be adjusted so often) but so far, it does not seem to bother anyone but me.

The most important thing is to maintain a positive attitude and continue moving forward. That will reflect itself in what you write, the tone of your voice and the way you look. Good Luck.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/7/2012 2:14:08 PM

OP, from this thread alone, it's obvious to see that some people do not know what they think that they know about Orthopedic Injuries.

From this thread alone, most of us who have posted regarding the long term effects of orthopedic injuries are speaking from many years of personal experience. I think that we do know what we are talking about. The leg that was broken when I was 9 still hurts sometimes a mere 41 years later. The major reconstruction of my knee when I was 18 created lifelong issues. The hand that had multiple broken bones across the back when I was 25 and 9 months pregnant, still causes the occasional problem ( I blame that partially on the lack of physiotherapy). The shoulder I injured in 1998, still flairs up from time to time if I do something stupid. According to the surgeon who repaired my knee in December of 2010, orthopedic injuries do last for your lifetime, whether or not they will always cause you serious problems is most often up to the individual and what they are willing to do to maintain their health.

Personally, when the physiotherapist tells me that if I maintain the specific exercise routine for the rest of my life, the pain should stay away, I will maintain the program. Just because I do not have pain and am not suffering because I am compliant with the rehab program, does not mean that the injury has gone away, it means that I am coping with it. For the majority of us with these type of injuries it is a lifelong issue. There are things I will always have to do to maintain the health I have regained and to discount this as negativity and fear mongering shows a lack of understanding. No one is fear mongering we are being realistic. It takes time to get better and with an injury such as the OP has, a lifetime of care to maintain good health.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How important is physical condition?