Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > Why do you think you have not had success on POF?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why do you think you have not had success on POF?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Do you think it is because you only have chosen good looking "player" people that have only shown to be jerks? Is it from lack of responses from invites? Has nobody ever contacted you? We have so many choices on POF. This has always been a problem in selecting a mate, but this site enhances your chances of finding another person. The caveat to such a huge selection may lie in many people being overlooked who wouldn't be if there had been less choices. As looks in our society are prized more than anything else, those people who are the prettiest or the most handsome will receive more dates. More often than not the beautiful people are probably the players, the cheats and the liars I would think and may make people have a skewed views of life on POF. What do you think?
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 2
Why do you think you have not had success on POF?
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:20:13 AM
Mainly because I'm not looking for just anybody, I am looking for the person who has the potential to be somebody and who views me in the same way.

Perhaps if I was making a conscious effort to find that person, it might be different but I am of a mindset that says it's all down to chance anyway. I have no intention of making the quest for a partner a main priority because, simply put, it isn't. I don't have a driving force pushing me forward to actively seek a relationship. It will either happen, or it won't.

MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:28:08 AM
So basically you are saying you have high standards or that you are being very selective and nothing has come your way where you feel the need to reach out? I would think however that they already are "somebody" or I may not be knowing my competition. Are you referring to the fact that they are moldable or that they have the potential to be something when they grow up :)? Please clarify if you could. Thanks.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:40:30 AM
Essentially - Yes. I am selective about those I meet.

I am now of an age where I know what I would like to find and I am also stable in myself to know which situations I would consider and which I won't. I'm also quite accepting that anyone I might be interested in, may have no interest in me.

For instance - I know what sort of personality traits I find attractive and which I don't. Suppose I happen to find a confident, self-aware man with a sense of humor who is able to think for himself, I also have to find him attractive on some level. But that's only part of the equation. He has to feel the same way about me. Now that might have been all it takes when I was in my 20's with no responsibilities but at 42, it's not a simple as that.

I have two teenagers. I don't want any more children of my own. So, from that already limited pool, those who would like to have more children, are eliminated. As are those who don't want to date someone who already has children. There is nothing I can do about those restrictions.
 MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:40:52 AM
Interesting philosophy but I would guess that taking a non-driver seat position to dating will not yield much but I do not know. Are you just here for the forums as many have professed? I don't know I often thought about fate and how I should let God decide my fate but after months of non-opportunities I feel I have to take a more active roll.

I have read your profile and see you have spent some time on it honing it to a cohesive package. You have many interests as do many people our age as we know who we are instead of searching as many people still do I imagine (guys mostly probably). Its interesting to see how priorities change over life and the things important to us just 10 years ago seem so inconsequential in the scope of life.

I would like to have children but at my age finding a person who wants to bear children in this age group is very dangerous, so I would not like to meet someone my age alone for that fact. I was in a bad relationship that I was powerless to control and thus did not have the opportunity to have kids when I should have. I can relate to your plight with children and the like.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:56:00 AM
Why do you presume I take a non-driver seat position ? If I see a profile I like, I'll send a message. It's simply that I don't trawl actively looking and seeking them out which likely is why I don't see many profiles for people I think I would be interested in. It's simply not one of the most important things in my life - and if it was, then I imagine I would take a more active role in seeking that relationship.

I didn't mention God - Chance is nothing to do with religion.

I do mainly spend my time here on the forums but that doesn't mean that's all I am here for.

Here's my take on this whole situation - I could join several dating sites. I could be actively involved in many community groups. But, it comes down to sheer chance that I see the profile of a person I am interested in and that they also feel the same way. And it comes down to chance that I happen to be at a community group when that person walks in the door. Chance is what makes two paths intersect.

Joining a site such as this does increase the potential of crossing paths but only because of the number of paths it provides. It doesn't put the right person on the path and point them in my direction.

I could spend my time wondering what is wrong with me, and stressing about being alone for ever but then I am a spectator in my own life. Time passes and I would be missing out on it and maybe miserable waiting around for my chance. Or, I can get on with my life and be open to the right person should he appear. I can continue to follow my interests and keep evolving as a person.

Suppose that this person doesn't cross my path until after my children have left home. There is little point in sitting home for the next 5 years waiting for that to happen. Suppose that I am not yet evolved into the person he would find interesting. There would have been little point in freezing my development at the point it is now.

All I can do is be emotionally ready and open to the possibility should it present itself. What I won't do is grab at anything I am uninterested in keeping just because it's there.

EDIT - IMO, there is no point in leaving a void in my life in the hopes that someone will come along and fit exactly into that space. If he shows up, then I will expand what I have to include him.

It like buying a home. There is little point in purchasing a place based on what might be. You select based on your current situation otherwise the room set aside for guests might never be used or the room some people might set aside for a nursery might always remain empty. You buy based on your life and you fill your home to suit your life style - there is always the possibility of building an addition, if and when you need it. But empty places (in lives and homes) just gather dust and feel empty.
 MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 12:10:41 PM
I can definitely understand where you are coming from. I am in a little different situation but you might not see it that way. I have been waiting to have children with my ex but we were not able to have children due to logistics I will spare you. I have always been a family man but never had the opportunity to have one unfortunately. When the ex left I still had feelings wanting to have and start a family. You on the otherhand have already had a family and achieved some life goals that I have yet to and are somewhat content with your situation biding your time until such time as the right opportunity presents itself. For me I want to get married and have children immediately as I do not want to be 70 years old going to my child's college graduation. I am I guess more motivated in that regard as time is not on my side.

My comment before about non-driver's seat was to your statement "Perhaps if I was making a conscious effort to find that person, it might be different but I am of a mindset that says it's all down to chance anyway." leading me to believe that it is chance and not actively seeking anyone. I added the religion part as I am religious :).
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/7/2012 12:26:39 PM
Although I understand that you feel a time constraint, it still won't change what will be.

For you, those who do not want children would be eliminated but as you have already experienced, even if you do meet someone with the same dreams, that doesn't make them come true. There are many people who would have liked to be parents who life has a different plan for.

Likewise, the wish to have a family is not going to be the only criteria you have for a potential mate - or one would hope it isn't. You aren't going to grab onto any woman who is willing to have a child when the time is right. You will have other core values that she needs to have for you to consider her. Some you will be willing to dismiss but others you aren't.

May I ask you, what if the right person doesn't come along ? What if she shows up when you are in your 50's ? And really, what can you do to meet her sooner then it happens ? Those things are not in your control at all. Certainly you can make the dream of parenthood happen by dropping some of the other requirements, i.e. ignoring the factors you believe are important in a LT relationship in order to get the short term gain of becoming a Dad but then that's you being less selective.

Even with your biological clock ticking, I think you want to make the right choice rather then the wrong choice and therefore, you are equally as selective as I am, it's simply that your criteria is different then mine. And like it or not, there is not a thing you can do to bring that person into your life sooner then chance permits.
 MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 12:48:23 PM
Absolutely agree. I could go the road of adoption but that I feel would not be fair to the child being reared by only a father and not the benefits of a mother which may or may not happen in the future. I am willing to compromise some things but core values will not be sacrificed. I will not just shack up with anyone for a child. That is not me and never will be. I am looking to find someone who has the whole package and "normal" which you so eloquently had put it, that I think are in the minority here.

I am in the mindset if I actively seek a mate and go on multiple sites my possibility of finding someone will be greatly increased. As my job is very time consuming and leaves little to free time, I have to start to rely on these type places to fill the void in my real life for dating opportunities.

Unfortunately I am always on the lookout for those who will try to take my good nature for a ride. As a physician I have to be very selective of those who I have around me and have done I think an adequate job at selecting friends. However all of those friends are mainly in my profession and married with children. This makes for many an awkward moments at parties and social gatherings. This makes many a gold digger's eyes light up and start Pavlovian salivation. I will not be taken for a ride a second time; once bitten twice shy.

I have been accused at times for being a pervert for thinking that a woman 10-15 years my junior would consider me dating material. This is not something I do relish in the way people judge us in society but a tolerable one for marriage material for me. The last thing I would want to do in life is to have a child with special needs brought into the world just because I forced my new wife of marginal child bearing age to have a child. Although not a tragedy, for something that can be statistically avoided I will try to do so for my wife and the child's sake and protection.

Should I become 50+ and still no wife I guess ready made families are just as good as potential ones. I do not have aversion to a woman with a family (actually prefer it for the parenting knowledge they posses) but the baby daddy drama I could do without. That is what i fear most being a father but yet not a father. That would kill me and with children in their teens, they will never see you as father i fear as their opinions and loyalties will always be to their biological father's. I know there are unique situations but I have to face facts.
 sactowndude
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/7/2012 1:23:35 PM
Shouldn't this question be in the Dating Experiences forum?
 MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 1:42:33 PM
I agree. Thanks for the repost :). I think it is very rare that a woman will go read your profile unless you pass the gatekeeper looks requirements. Only then will you go to stage 2. Once there, if anything is found that is of questionable nature you get tossed. Only once you pass stage 3 where she actually notices all you have in common and overlooks some shortcomings in her mind will you be granted the almighty hello. I don't know how much money and job plays into it for older patrons. For the 20-30's group it is most important. In the 30-50 category unless they were previously married to a rich guy seeking to fill the void will money be important. That age group they already are established where money and job doesn't mean much.

And BTW you are not ugly and stop repeating junk people say. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Pity posts don't work too well on POF.

Perhaps its not you. Try changing your approach, your wording to your invites. Personalize them, compliment them, take interest in their hobbies, say something attracted you to them instead of the "Hi I am Sam. Boy you look beautiful how bout a date." You may get more mileage out of that.

Blah_User_Name
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/7/2012 1:43:39 PM

I do not have aversion to a woman with a family (actually prefer it for the parenting knowledge they posses) but the baby daddy drama I could do without. That is what i fear most being a father but yet not a father. That would kill me and with children in their teens, they will never see you as father i fear as their opinions and loyalties will always be to their biological father's. I know there are unique situations but I have to face facts.

There are indeed unique situations which you might be missing out on if you are currently dismissing single parents. That's part of the risk though.

I would ideally find a partner who is without children for the very same reasons as you - I want no part in the potential dramatics of an ex spouse. Some might be dismissing me for the very same reason - although I don't have an ex spouse on the scene to contend with. I am the sole parent for my children and therefore this is not a situation that I come with - but of course, no one knows that until they take a chance and ask or find out.

Furthermore, for me, a man with young children would not be my preference. Mine are in their teens and somewhat independent in terms of supervision and my need to be constantly available, although at this time, they are still living at home, the day is rapidly approaching when that won't be the case. I don't want to return to the preschool age and begin this whole process again. Selfish maybe but as someone who also works with families and their young children, I don't want to spend my down time doing close to what I do all week.
 MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 1:50:39 PM
Selfish maybe but as someone who also works with families and their young children, I don't want to spend my down time doing close to what I do all week.

What I found interesting is that at first I thought you were a teacher based on your initial replies a while ago. Now i think perhaps more social work but your profile says self-employed? Not that it matters but your replies show much understanding to human nature, its nuances, life lessons learned and much wisdom.
 MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 1:56:44 PM

Shouldn't this question be in the Dating Experiences forum?

I don't know exactly as for many there is no experience except rejection. You have to have an experience to talk about it. No dating no experience...so I don't know where it belongs.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/7/2012 2:02:29 PM

nhra1966what import is saying, as do ALL of the women on here, is she wants a guy who looks like a male model with muscles and money,
ive been called ugly by multiple women on here. 8 months no dates or messages, and before the ladies start with the " its your attitude" thing, if i was a hunk you wouldnt be saying it

Oh what a bitter little man you are ! - And so very wrong. Your attitude is ugly - and your lack of being able to use your brain stops you from even considering the truth behind that. You would far rather pretend to be the victim of shallow women then take a good hard look at yourself in the mirror. I'll tell you something else, you could visually resemble the man of my personal dreams (whatever the heck he looks like) but your lack of understanding that you are your own worst enemy would have me sprinting to the nearest convent even though I don't believe in God.

That is not what I want. I want a man who I find attractive for sure. Who wants to get intimate with someone they aren't attracted to ? Do you send out messages to women you consider unattractive ? Of course you don't ! But, had you ever read any of my posts in the time you spend here whining about women who reject you and not learning that the cause of that is your woe-is-me attitude rather then your appearance, you will have clued in that the ability to use a brain is far more attractive to me then a shallow, vane male model type.

And money ? Sure, he needs to be self-sufficient and not up to his eyes in debt - but that's important to me because money is the biggest cause of arguing in a relationship and so a couple needs to have similar views with regards to money management.

I am looking for an equal - and as I am self-sufficient, have my own home which was not given to me in a divorce settlement, pay for the needs and wants of two teenagers, am in a position to provide every thing we need and a fair amount of what we want, buy my cars in cash and carry no debt other then my mortgage, too damn right I don't want someone who is unemployed and looking for a free ride on my dime. I do indeed want someone with a similar mind set who saves for the big purchases as I do rather then adds to the credit card and accrues debt.

How much money someone makes is rather irrelevant - it's how they manage their money which matters. My ex husband at the time we separated had developed his career to earn a 6 figure salary but he sure as heck didn't earn that when we got together more then a decade prior to that - and those 6 figures didn't help him at all when he could run up debts faster then the government. Income levels are irrelevant if debt levels are high and the need for instant gratification matches.

EDIT

MrTeddyBear25What I found interesting is that at first I thought you were a teacher based on your initial replies a while ago. Now i think perhaps more social work but your profile says self-employed? Not that it matters but your replies show much understanding to human nature, its nuances, life lessons learned and much wisdom.

That's an interesting observation.

I spent many years before emigrating, working in a social services type environment - but concentrating on abused children before being asked to work with the Department of Health and House of Commons on a project studying Pedophiles. You learn a lot about human nature when you see the damage humans can do to one another.

Although not in that field anymore (partly because it's too hard on the heart and partly because when I moved countries I wanted to focus on my own children) I do remain working with children and their families - in a way I would never have imagined when I was part of the corporate world. A career change which came about through need - and one which I absolutely love doing - most days !
 MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 2:19:05 PM
I spent many years before emigrating, working in a social services type environment - but concentrating on abused children before being asked to work with the Department of Health and House of Commons on a project studying Pedophiles. You learn a lot about human nature when you see the damage humans can do to one another.

My residency was in pediatrics which may be a reason why children are so important to me and I can relate first hand to your statements, unfortunately also dealing with the cruel nature of people first hand. Very interesting how paths cross.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/7/2012 3:24:16 PM
^^ No, I want a butt ugly hideous man with no job so he can move in here and bleed me dry, so I can be his provider and he can sit an his a$$ whining about how the world owes him and how unfair and unrealistic an entire gender is - Sound familiar ?

I want an equal - what is so damn hard to understand ? There is middle ground.

I want someone whose core values reflect mine. Someone who gets up and makes the changes they need to in order to have the best life they can achieve - as I do.

Of course I want a man I am attracted to - who the heck dates someone they aren't attracted to ? As I asked before but you didn't answer because you are too busy throwing stones in my direction, how many unattractive women have you messaged ?

Your comprehension abilities are incredibly poor. I stated that having money was irrelevant - the ability to mange money and live within your means is key.

If you portray yourself on these forums in the same way you behave in real life, I imagine your life is very lonely.

MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 3:36:59 PM
so import you just admitted you want a great looking guy with money! pricelss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh you shallow little woman :)

Actually no. Allow me to translate.

Take-home messages:
1 Attractive doesn't mean good looking necessarily as one person's attractive is another person's unattractive.
2 Money is not required; it is fiscal responsibility and management that's important to her.
3 She wants to be attracted to a guy's brain more than their looks.
4 She called your self-pity attitude and outlook ugly not you.
5 She seemed pissed at your lack of insight and being bitter for not getting a date and kinda did it in an accusatory way
6 She is opposite of shallow
 ComplekCity
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/7/2012 5:12:43 PM
1. Not tall enough
2. Follically challenged
3. Too old
4. Something I wrote in my profile didn't impress
5. I rarely message anymore, I just can't be bothered lately
6. The women who have messaged me haven't been my type and/or have young kids

Can someone tell me why I'm only allowed to post 2 times/10 posts but some people , as illustrated in this thread, can post endlessly ???????
 MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 5:24:26 PM
I am trying to remain neutral here but I see mud flying and don't want this to derail this post.

NHRA1966 Bottom line is your generalization that ALL women are after good looking men only with muscles and money is a bit slanted as proven by many posts all over this forum. This complete absolute generalization as a reason why women don't contact you shows that perhaps the problem is internal rather than external and the premiss for her castigation of you. You need to stop generalizing, get off your duff and change your profile or the way you interact with people is what she is trying to say. Don't blame the women for not liking you because you are not Brad Pitt. Perhaps look at your profile, your photos, your statements, your approach, your spelling for all I know.

People who hit walls in their life either adapt or stagnate and die and point fingers at why they can't succeed in life because of external causes beyond their control. If you continue to say its the women and do nothing to change yourself you will never get a date. There is something wrong here and she is saying its not you personally. I think she saw your other posts like this and thought it was time to say something. She is trying to say build a better mousetrap but apparently it got personal on both sides because of lack of tolerance on both ends. Agree to disagree and try to listen to each other is the key. What you are saying has merit, just the generalizations make it sound ridiculous and short-sighted.

If I could give you an example in the form of a business; you build a hotel that looks beautiful to you, using all your own decor styles. People never come to it saying it looks too throwback to the 80's. Well your style is rooted in the 80's and people constantly say to you that you need to update the lobby and change the brown psychedelic wallpaper. You resist and finally go under for lack of patronage and blame the people for lack of taste in an obviously wonderful hotel. You could have taken another route and called in a chic modern decorator. They whip your place into shape and soon you are in the money. Adapt or die. I know it isn't the best analogy but it works.

The same can be said for profiles and the way you carry yourself online. Perhaps its time for a change? How you think middle aged heavy set men who are not the most handsome in the world can get with hot chicks? Do you think its all money? No. Charisma, how you carry yourself, your personality, your confidence level, your mojo is the most important. That's what women go for in your age range confident guys who don't blame others for their misfortune who dust themselves off and don't quit is sexy. Success isn't measured in dollars its measured in accomplishments and determination despite mounting odds.

God why do I feel this is a pep talk lol. I guess it is.
 MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 5:40:55 PM
ComplekCity
Lets take this apart

1. Not tall enough
-- eh im 5'6 1/2" The 1/2 in is very important you know! I don't have a problem.
2. Follically challenged
-- Hello hat or rogaine (been using it for 2 yrs now works pretty good.) Or try hairclub if its that important.
3. Too old
-- again you are as old as you feel. I feel young.
-- Not much there kinda fluffy but no meat and potatos of real world wants, likes, dislikes or anything honestly. I like the humor though a bit over the top like mine.
-- Its ok life happens.
-- Then why not say your type you are looking for in your profile? You didn't mention anywhere you were not interested in women with kids.

Can someone tell me why I'm only allowed to post 2 times/10 posts but some people , as illustrated in this thread, can post endlessly ???????

- I dunno I am just replying to people and maybe because its my post? Have no idea.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/7/2012 5:47:14 PM

I think the restriction only applies in certain Forums.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/7/2012 6:06:06 PM
You misunderstand me MrTeddynugentBear,

I wasn't asking for advice, I was simply answering your question.

But because I believe your intentions are good and I'm bored don't feel like watching " Spartacus " for the zillionth time I will proceed with the flollowing :

1. Not tall enough

IMO a man who lacks height knows how a woman with small breasts feels . It's a sad fact of life that women value height in men above all and that's why I put it as the number one reason for my lack of success. I don't suffer from any delusions. I think my face is pretty good and if I was 4 inches taller I'm sure my life would've been MUCH easier. But , it is what it is.

2. Follically challenged
-- Hello hat or rogaine (been using it for 2 yrs now works pretty good.) Or try hairclub if its that important.

No thanks, not interested. I'd rather meet a woman who likes me for me - receding hairline and all . I put this as number 2 as a close second to what women also find unappealing IMO.

3. Too old
-- again you are as old as you feel. I feel young.

You're preaching to the choir, trust me, I don't think I'm too old at all. But the women that I find attractive probably think I'm too old going by their age restrictions and lack of response so I listed that as number 3.

-- Not much there kinda fluffy but no meat and potatoes of real world wants, likes, dislikes or anything honestly. I like the humor though a bit over the top like mine.

Yeah, I should probably do a rewrite and put more effort into it. But ya know what's funny ? Every time a woman sends me a msg she usually says " great profile ! " , so figure that one out .

-- Its ok life happens.

Well, not to sound negative but I just got bored of the whole process. I mainly indulge in the forums nowadays.

-- Then why not say your type you are looking for in your profile? You didn't mention anywhere you were not interested in women with kids.

Yeah, that's in case an Eva Mendes lookalike with young kids sends me a msg one day - LOL
 MrTeddyBear25
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 6:45:14 PM
Given your criteria I should run for the hills because I have the dreaded 1-2-3 curse and i'll add my own #4 the spare tire look in there for good measure. Fat (me), short, balding, middle aged has-bins looking to land some hot blonde (in your case brunette) 30 yo babes with delusions of virility. What are the odds of us pulling this off CC? Please tell me we got a shot and I can throw out this AARP stuff they keep sending to me in error I keep telling them! Oh the humanity!!! :) LOL

And for the record if anyone asks it if bothers me that i'm so small I just tell them I am the perfect height to fit into Ferrari's without banging my head. Lets see what Linsanity has to say about that!
 ComplekCity
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/8/2012 7:34:03 AM

What are the odds of us pulling this off CC?

I believe the word is " astronomical "
Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > Why do you think you have not had success on POF?