Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Chance Encounters      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SirCharles007
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Chance EncountersPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hey all. Have you ever been somewhere... anywhere and walk by someone and catch more than one glance and not act on it and later think. Wow I should have said hi.....something. A true instinctive encounter and always thing I wonder if......
 vanityfair55
Msg: 2
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/7/2012 7:30:53 PM
Yes, all the time!!!
 WiseBurro
Msg: 3
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/7/2012 8:38:04 PM
No, I'm sure that hot, hot woman that looked like she'd hurt me every which way but loose, and stared me down the whole 5-6 seconds we passed each other in the S*ve -On- F**ds , was married and had a giant husband.
I never regret when my instincts say, "don't do it" anymore.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 4
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:11:09 PM
Not anymore - I did that a couple times when I was younger and decided it wasn't worth all the second guessing after the fact, so now - if it's possible to say hello to a person I want to know more about, I do it.
 wanderer1999
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 3:55:10 AM
I did when I was very young. Then in my late teens I asked myself the simple question, "What do I have to lose?"

After that, I never let those opportunities pass again. I ended up meeting alot of people, had some great conversations, got more than a few dates and phone numbers, and a couple relationships.

Never forget the drowning man joke...

A man is in his house and it begins to flood all around him. With the water rising, he climbs onto the roof and prays, "Dear Lord, please save me!"

A person swims past his house with a life preserver and offers to help, but the man says, "Thank you, but the Lord will save me."
A person rows past his house in a boat and offers to help, but the man says, "Thank you, but the Lord will save me."
A helicopter flies overhead and offers to help, but the man says, "Thank you, but the Lord will save me."

Soon enough, the man drowns. The world goes dark and he finds himself standing before God. He looks to the Lord and says, "Lord, I have always been faithful. Why didn't you save me?"

The Lord looks at the man and says, "What are you talking about? I sent you a life preserver, a boat and a helicopter! Dumba**!"
 NSA_FWB_HOTDEAL50
Msg: 6
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 4:45:16 AM
Not me I say hi to everyone with in 10 feet of me, I always say hi how ya doin today! sometimes I just get a hi back other times I get a nice conversation with the person! and sometimes I get ignored, but I still always say the same thing, 1 of these days I just may get the right lady for me? HA HA HA not likely!
 JAXDiver
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 5:36:36 AM

Hey all. Have you ever been somewhere... anywhere and walk by someone and catch more than one glance and not act on it and later think. Wow I should have said hi.....something. A true instinctive encounter and always thing I wonder if......

I have broken my neck several times like that. I have grown tired of wearing neck braces, then I moved to Florida. Now, I say hello and most people speak back to me. I am enjoying the neighborly Southern hospitality without something around my neck. However, I still stay in touch with my Chiropractor. It's part of staying healthy.
 SirCharles007
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 7:08:50 AM
Ha Ha, How ironic. too funny. There is another saying I heard from watching the Kings Of Leon documentary.
"Why pray for food when your standing in a wheat field" Thanks for sharing that was a good one
 Wonder5750
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 8:05:07 AM
I say hello to anyone that makes eye contact. But I am that kind of person. Its not all about "hooking up", just more about being friendly.
 nativerock
Msg: 10
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 9:49:52 AM

I just think to myself it's nice there are so many opportunities out there if I wanted to spend the time and money persuing them. Then I reach for the remote because I'm over 45.

Put down the remote and take action for heaven sake!! Life is short...

On a personal level I was walking into the mall one Sunday morning and this handsome fireman gave me the eye.. You know the look he starts and your head and ends at your tippy toes. He was coming towards me and opened the glass door for me..

So short of setting fire to my place in order to get another glance at him, I decided to put that fantasy to bed.. lol
 GurugiGets
Msg: 11
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 11:06:59 AM
At this point, you need to be subscribing to POF because your postings are
more entertaining than valid.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 12
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 12:06:56 PM

Oh well, maybe one day, we'll see each other again and , hopefully, I'll open my mouth.

Aw....too bad you didn't follow through. What was the worse thing that could have happened?

Anyhow, I shouldn't talk...lol I've had a few chance encounters as well. One on a plane coming back from visiting my sister. I was seated next to a nice man, very out going and friendly. We got into a conversation almost immediately. He had flown to Winnipeg to attend a funeral for a friend. I mentioned a girlfriend of mine had passed and how devasted I was. During the 90 minute flight, he never once mentioned a wife or girlfriend. And he wasn't wearing a wedding band. But that doesn't mean he wasn't married or in a relationship.
When the plane landed in Calgary we both said our goodbyes and parted ways.

I thought about it afterwards and wondered if I shouldn't have taken it a little further but a voice in my head kept saying if he was interested, he would have made the first move. Besides...he's was probably married.

Guess I will never know.

...mae
 zippytwo
Msg: 13
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 12:37:12 PM
Yes, that's happened to me...but I always convince myself that he's not looking for someone like me...so I say nothing. These days one never knows if the person is married and looking for something extra on the side...or says they're single but are actually 'separated'...I've been burned that way before. If I see someone that catches my eye, I just smile and keep on walkin'...it's a sad commentary on society today isn't it? Life was somewhat simpler in the 'olden days'.
 vnufall
Msg: 14
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 12:59:19 PM
I say hi to anyone who catches my eye, but honestly if a guy wants to meet me he should take the iniative for a conversation. I just feel men should have enough personality and self esteem to step up and introduce himself.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 15
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 1:55:10 PM

Nope. I'm oblivious to things of that nature. Some years ago I was shopping with my son and he said, "That guy over there is hawking you." I had to ask what "hawking" was so he explained there was a man who was relentlessly staring at me. I had no clue. Last Thursday having dinner with a client and she sends me a text from across the table. It said, "That guy up at the bar in the hat is staring at you." I didn't even turn around to look and see who she was talking about. A couple of weeks ago I was outside a client's office, and a truck pulled up and it was a really cute guy, he needed directions. I went in googled-mapped for him and gave him the directions. My client said something about him clearly flirting with me ~ I didn't notice if he was. I haven't had much/any interest in meeting/dating for a long while. I am generally oblivious to who's where and if they do glance, it's likely I wouldn't even notice. So no, I can't say I ponder the "what if"s at all.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 16
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/9/2012 1:15:26 AM
Asking for a date is like a salesperson asking a customer to buy something. The salesman loses 100% of the sales he never asks for. And a guy (gal) loses 100% of the dates he (she) never asks for. Moral of the story....ASK FOR THE DATE. The worst that can happen is he/she will say no, but that happens only 1/3 of the time. The other 2/3 are a Yes or Maybe.
 LetsMatchUp2012
Msg: 17
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/9/2012 3:28:28 PM
<~~~Had that happen about a month ago and can't get her outta my mind!!! We did chat and it went unbelievably easy! I mean, she seemed genuinely interested in talking and I blew it! I pray I get a 2nd chance to meeting her again! Something tells me it can happen.
 Thornz2000
Msg: 18
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/9/2012 4:00:36 PM
I seen many glances.
%99 of the time I choose not to follow it up due to "NO WAY IN HELL" the other %1 if I stall a sec, sooner or later her BF shows up. Then again, its where I live is why.

Day later and dollar short syndrome is what your talking about.

Also most men are a tad bit denser then women when glances are shooting around.
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 19
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/9/2012 7:11:03 PM
It's not hard to say "Hello, how you"?
Or: "You are beautiful" ( Be ready for the lap in the face).
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 20
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/9/2012 7:17:02 PM
I say hello to anyone who walks by; add a compliment if the person looks good, or some humor to lift the spirit up if the other looks sad... you never know, you may make someone's day if not yours.
Well... if I am sad, troubled myself, forget it, I hide.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 21
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/10/2012 8:24:32 AM
Only at the gym.

Any other place I'm permitted to just be friendly and say hello : )
 Wonder5750
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/10/2012 8:35:30 AM

It happens, happened more when I was young, less so now that I'm invisible

I was more invisible before, now folks I don't know say hello (either that or I do know them and I forgot. lol )
 threestring
Msg: 23
Chance Encounters
Posted: 8/24/2012 6:43:26 PM
I once stopped in at a place I frequented to say hi to the person there and the woman she was talking to turned towards and our eyes locked on each other. Normally you look away even briefly after a couple of seconds to be polite but there was no need for that. It was like I could see her soul and she mine. I broke the spell after about a minute because eventually the other woman would catch on what was happening and there was no need for her to find out. I said I would come by later when she was free and did, the rest of the story is not too important now.

While it does not happen too often I do run into a woman that has that something extra at work (beyond just good looks, lot of those). But generally the nature of the place stops me from acting on the impulse.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 24
Chance Encounters
Posted: 8/24/2012 8:29:16 PM
Faint heart never won fair lady. It is futile to have regrets and if it was meant to be, the connection would have been made, one way or another. I have had that feeling too but it takes guts to make a move and our fear of rejection is sometimes too strong.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 25
Chance Encounters
Posted: 8/24/2012 9:11:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oofSnsGkops

James Blunt said it best--"And I don't think that I'll see her again,
But we shared a moment that will last till the end."

Can't explain why a complete stranger can completely captivate you--just know it happens but rarely.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Chance Encounters