Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Creative/Writing  > Re-Make of a movie-Writing a new screenplay      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bourne2LuvU
Msg: 1
Re-Make of a movie-Writing a new screenplayPage 1 of 1    
Hello, just need some advice? There is a Steve McQueen movie that I would like to write a new screenplay for. Do I need to contact an attorney/lawyer to find out if I can do this ( under the assumption I may get the movie made someday) Do I have to acquire the rights, or contact the studio/director/producer before even starting this project? Just concerned about the Legal stuff...any advice?
 Bezoa
Msg: 2
Re-Make of a movie-Writing a new screenplay
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:14:27 PM
All's I know is that we made a play in high school and we had to pay copyright fees to be allowed to perform it on stage. We didn't need copyrights to practice and such things. There is freedom of speech, so I don't think you aren't allowed to write it, you just can't claim it as your own.

You might want to check in the copyright fees and such to see if it's worth your while. Will they want 100 million for the rights or just a few thousands?

I'm not sure how you'd copyright your work either, since it isn't truly your own. How are you going to make sure not to get it stolen from you once it's written and you want to put it out there? This might be something to ask a professional.
 stephenlikesto
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/9/2012 3:34:54 AM
Honestly legal issues are the last thing you need to worry about. Rather putting the cart before the horse. So long as you are upfront that it is a rewrite then that should be fine. If it did become made into a movie then movie companies have lawyers to deal with that side of things but...

your real problem will be getting anyone to look at it at all. Unless you have an established track record in some sort of commercial media and have already got the networking contacts needed you have about as much chance of getting a movie made from it as the proverbial snowball does. Do it because it will be fun by all means but save your money on legal clarifications (I won't charge for this advice but an attorney most certainly would!)
 IAmRSG
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/15/2012 2:03:20 PM
Write it, but as said before put the original authors name on it, and a rewrite credit for yourself on the cover. Use Celtx - it's a free script writing program.

Before you submit it to anyone else, check with the Writer's Guild about further information (they're very helpful), and then have it registered with the WGA based on their guidelines. Never submit a script to a producer without first acquiring an entertainment representative (lawyer, agent); production companies are very touchy about this point, so is the Writer's Guild.

Good luck!

Ron
Show ALL Forums  > Creative/Writing  > Re-Make of a movie-Writing a new screenplay