Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Favorite Science-Fiction Movies/Series?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Justmytypewriter
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Favorite Science-Fiction Movies/Series? Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am a sucker for (often dystopian) SF movies and TV shows. Equilibrium, Bladerunner and Strange Days are among my favorite movies, and "Firefly" is/was hands-down the best TV show ever (unfortunately FOX did all it could to kill it right away).

Always looking for other fabulous SF movies or TV shows - which are your favorites? Do you have any recommendations?
 TooShadows
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Favorite Science-Fiction Movies/Series?
Posted: 7/9/2012 4:16:14 PM
I'm still waiting for re-runs of the "Six Million Dollar Man" to start up again. Hmm,did I just show my age? lol
 colt8301
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/9/2012 6:04:27 PM

Always looking for other fabulous SF movies or TV shows - which are your favorites? Do you have any recommendations?

I don't really have recommendations because all the best Science Fiction should have been seen, especially if your over 30.

Anyway my personal favorites

The thing from another world.
The Thing
They Live
Westworld
Terminator and Terminator 2
Predator and Predator 2
Alien and Aliens
Deadly Friend
Starman
Robocop and Robocopo 2
Men in Black
Enemy Mine
E.T
Logans Run
Demolition Man
Total Recall

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
 matchlight
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2012 8:08:31 PM
THEM! (James Arness before Gunsmoke)

Forbidden Planet

The Day the Earth Stood Still

War of the Worlds (the 1953 Gene Barry version--the remake is idiotic)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the remake with Donald Sutherland isn't bad, but the 1956 Don Siegel/Kevin McCarthy version is much scarier)
 pinkkpeony
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/9/2012 8:57:17 PM
Dune is probably my favourite science fiction movie and of course some of the Star Trek movies and the series.
 Blalah
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/9/2012 9:20:12 PM
I hate most sci-fi but a must see is Steven King's "Thinner". Even I loved it.
 KittenCatt
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/10/2012 12:15:29 AM
Prometheus, followed by Fourth Kind, followed by District 9.

Wait....it's Twilight Zone (old b&w ones) before ANYthing.
 PinkZombies
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/10/2012 10:57:44 AM
What everyone else said, plus:
The Outer Limits (the old b&w series)
The Steve McQueen version of The Blob
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Planet of the Apes
Silent Running and...
the great sci-fi spoof Galaxy Quest!
 natgoat227
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2012 1:10:55 PM
Classics.....
Jason and the Argonauts
War of the Worlds . . . (Butchered by several re-makes!)
The Day the Earth Stood Still . . (Again...Butchered by the remake!!! )
All the original Star Trek series...although some are re-run so often that they get dull...
The BLOB (Steve McQ)
Rodan . . (My 1st movie at a drive-in...with the family [I was 5] I was scared of birds for Months!!!)
 colt8301
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/10/2012 2:49:55 PM
I have a few more films that I enjoyed in the genre.

Although this is more of a family film I put
Back to the Future the trilogy in there, honestly every day that goes by and regrets begin to add up they become horror films.
Krull
I Come in Peace early 90's cheese, terminator rip off.
Class of 1999, more early 90's cheese
Although it's more action, Escape from New York and LA
Soylent Green
Planet of the Apes
Wicked City
Dark City
The Faculty
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Attack of the killer Tomatoes
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Species
My Science Project
Sunshine
Face Off
 Padawan61
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2012 10:27:41 PM
Star Trek, Star Trek TNG, Star Trek DS-9 (never could get into Voyager or Enterprise)

What do you mean?? Voyager's Species 8472's superior biology made them one of the best aliens ever conceived. 8472 was the first to offer real resistance to Borg assimilation. And the Xindi war during Enterprise's third season was quite interesting if you got into it.
 colt8301
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/11/2012 3:17:24 AM

I am a sucker for (often dystopian) SF movies and TV shows. Equilibrium, Bladerunner and Strange Days are among my favorite movies, and "Firefly" is/was hands-down the best TV show ever (unfortunately FOX did all it could to kill it right away).

silly me I forgot the "Abyss".
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2012 8:49:10 AM
I like dystopias;
My favorite show ever on television: 'The Prisoner' from the 1960's.

After that are selected episodes of night Gallery, the Twilight zone, Outer Limits and their kin

Movies...again dytopias or similar: Threads, the Adromeda Strain, Omega Man, the Last Man on Earth, On the Beach, etc.

Not into any sci-fi with shoot-outs, chases, etc....otherwise, glorified westerns.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2012 1:00:53 PM
dreamfire:
I own "The Prisoner" box set that contains the entire series. It's a shame it only lasted one season.
AMC made an updated two-part mini-series version that was, surprisingly, not bad. A tad surreal, but palatable

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the AMC series....I'll definitelty check it out
 RS101969
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/11/2012 1:39:56 PM
Dr. Who!

Blakes 7

Red Dwarf
 KittenCatt
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/11/2012 1:59:09 PM
Watching an old Bugs Bunny and Marvin the Martian episode right now and it is da Bomb...I love their cartoon interpretation of outer space and its ilk lol.
 Fleuron
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/12/2012 12:35:42 PM
The X-Files and Mystery Science Theater 3000 with Joel, before Mike took over and ruined it.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/12/2012 2:29:40 PM
Although it is not sci-fi, Supernatural is my favorite TV series--I watch it on Netflix and don't have a TV, so I am not familiar with new shows. The Twilight Zone will never be beat--yup, it is really dated, but it is the grandparent of all that comes after. There are two Discworld movies, Hogfather and The Colour of Magic ; there's a third one, Going Postal,but haven't seen it. Forget the animated adaptations.

The Last Man on Earth
On the Beach
Zardoz
The Navigator (not to be confused with Flight of the Navigator)
Brazil

I enjoyed many of the movies that others have mentioned. I did see Prometheus and while it was entertaining, it was too long and too predictable for old sci-fi buffs.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2012 4:20:16 PM
Firefly
Eureka..

Brazil
Time Bandits

and many of the aforementioned..Looking forward to some I may have missed. There are the classics which I tried to watch again ie..original Star Trek, Outer Limits, etc. but the writing and effects make them so antiquainted these days.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/12/2012 7:38:48 PM
Oh, and Edward Scissorhands.
 VF102
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2012 11:04:50 AM
ROBOTECH!

Hence my user ID, VF102 (Veritech Fighter #102).
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/13/2012 9:49:29 PM

I own "The Prisoner" box set that contains the entire series. It's a shame it only lasted one season.

Dittoes here. Loved that show, bought the box set as soon as it became available.

My favorite sci-fi movie is actually a spoof - Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension.

Killer cast, hilariously tongue-in-cheek and always something new to notice every time I watch it.

"Where are we going?"
"PLANET TEN!"
"When are we going?"
"REAL SOON!"
 Justmytypewriter
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2012 3:17:27 PM
Thank you for all the shows and movies mentioned. I knew I could rely on you. ;-)

There are several series/movies I had never even heard of (like Thinner, The Prisoner, When Worlds Collide, On the Beach, Blakes 7 and so on), so I will make sure to check those out. I might just fall in love with one or several of those.

And there are some I used to love and that I had almost forgotten about (like Logan's Run, Total Recall, Dune, Soylent Green). And by thinking about the almost forgotten ones, I remembered some (that nobody mentioned, I think) that are soooo worth to watch again (like 12 Monkeys and Running Man). So thanks again guys - and keep 'em coming. :-)

Some of the mentioned works I never got into, though. I was very excited about District 9, for instance, after I had watched the trailer, but when I actually saw the entire movie, it fell flat. I didn't like it. Maybe I expected too much from it. And the revamped Battlestar Galactica never struck a chord with me either even though I loved Caprica as well as the old Battlestar Galactica. Maybe I have to give it another try. I tuned out after 3 or 4 shows of the new series.
 natgoat227
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2012 8:30:16 PM
S/T/Voyager was pretty vanilla....till SevenOfNine showewd-up!!!
Then I watched every episode with my jaw on the floor!!
How she didn't make the Top 5 of ~Sci-Fi's Sexiest~ is beyond me!
 ohenryx
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2012 8:44:37 AM
Carnivale, damn I loved that show! Truly a shame they did not continue.

When Worlds Collide, now there's a good movie that I haven't seen in a long time. Wonder if it's on Netflix streaming? And why did no one ever make a movie of the sequel, After Worlds Collide (the book was even better than the original).

ON EDIT: nope, not on Netflix streaming. Drat. Off to check more nefarious sources....
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Favorite Science-Fiction Movies/Series?