Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Why does the meet me number drop, than go up again?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maltese_CanadianGuy
Msg: 1
Why does the meet me number drop, than go up again?Page 1 of 1    
This is something I found annoying. I'll have 34 people in the meet me list for those that clicked yes on me, than one day it will go down to 33, than the next day it will go to 34 again, but another person never clicked yes on you, it's just the number that got deleted the day earlier gets added back again. What is this?
 Maltese_CanadianGuy
Msg: 2
Why does the meet me number drop, than go up again?
Posted: 7/9/2012 4:37:58 PM
I use it because it's actually the only way I actually met someone on here. So you can understand why I'd use it. I do agree that it is poorly implemented, but still, it could still be useful.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2012 8:01:22 PM
"Dude, I have 275 people who want to meet me"

Let me get this straight: We are close to the same age and I live in the middle of a metro almost ten times as large as yours, yet after less than 6 months on here you have 275 meet me's while I currently have a grand total of *3* after almost 3 years of the feature's existence?

I cannot possibly be that undesirable.

That's the kind of data that just makes you want to go out back and find a nice tall tree with at least one strong limb...

Although, once again, I am living proof that Meet Me is not anywhere near as broken as some people here make it out to be, because if many people really are accidentally clicking "Yes" or the system is accidentally/purposely generating many false "yeses," then how the hell do I only have 3? Someone explain that one to me.

BTW, Mr. 275: What is your first contact message to Meet Me ratio? Just curious.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2012 6:58:10 AM
To be fair, I have had 5 total in the history of Meet Me (which I think started October 2009), but 2 have since deleted their profiles and I don't think I've ever had more than 4 at one time. (In the only way I'm like the rest of you, none emailed me back and two of them disqualified me by race or height in their profiles, suggesting those probably were accidental "yeses.")

"I know your short but hell half the time they dont even look at the profile they click on just the pics."

This is exactly why I think most women ARE checking out profiles before clicking "Yes." There is no way you can tell I am short from my Meet Me page. Only information listed on them is headline, age, seeking and location. And, of course, pictures -- I very rarely ever have any pictures of me standing next to tall people on my profile (for the past few months I have had no pictures of me with other people).

So unless I am truly one of the ugliest men on earth... my Meet Me performance doesn't really make a lot of sense. Admittedly, because POF won't show my Meet Me profile to women taller than me, I'm getting somewhat less than half as many views as most other men to begin with, but that would still suggest I'd only have 10 Meet Me's after 3 years if I was of average height, which seems nearly as absurd. I usually get 10X as many views as normal when I change my height to 6 feet for experimental purposes.

The only other hypothesis I have is that the "would you date someone with children" question is dragging me down: because I answered "No," my profile isn't shown to any women with children, and last time I checked, about 70% of women my exact age on here have children. So basically my profile is only being shown to less than 15% of eligible women in my age bracket, because that's -45% for the height and -70% for the children. But I really shouldn't be dating women who have children, so it is what it is.

I asked Long Spring about the ratio because it's my belief that most men get far more Meet Me's than first contact emails since Meet Me requires so little effort. But over the past 3 years, I've gotten twice as many first contact emails as Meet Me's (11 to 5).

Maybe it's a Florida thing -- I really have no idea. I'm depressed enough about the extremely low number of emails and views but at least that can be explained away as a function of my height and women's search preferences. But whenever I see the gargantuan number of Meet Me's that other guys have on here, I *really* start going into a funk...
 HawkingJr
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2012 10:41:19 AM
"I get far more 1st contact emails than Meet Me's, which may be due to living in a much smaller market or because I have a blue shirt on or because it is Tuesday."

I also suppose it's entirely possible that those of us who get more first contact emails than Meet Me's have great profiles but mediocre pictures. Although there is absolutely no evidence of the former in the case of my profile from the text of those first contact emails (mostly just "Hi... how are you?"). I mean, really, I have samples of 11 and 5 here -- that's like trying to figure out the winner of the Obama-Romney election using the returns from a precinct in Natrona County, Wyoming.

"Either way, to try and understand it without knowing the full reason behind it and how it operates, is an exercise in futility at best. "

But surely you must agree... 3 is an absurd number under any circumstances. I bet that is the lowest number among anybody with years of continuous participation in a major market on this entire site. I just can't even fathom how that would be possible. And it's not so much that I want to understand it. I just want to fix it. Assuming it's because of something I'm doing wrong. Which either has to be the case, or POF has a personal vendetta against me. Because in what universe can such a statistical anomaly happen purely by chance?

I really don't feel good.
 Unguided Tourist
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/10/2012 12:28:56 PM
I agree that the "maybe" option needs to go. However, from my experience with this application, I've found that I've come across a lot of profiles that I haven't seen in "my matches" or "advanced search" sections. I live in the Toronto area so maybe sorting through all my matches would take a long time. The advantage with this application is that if you don't like the picture(s) then you eliminate that profile from your search if you choose to continue to use it. It has its flaws but it's free.... at least for now.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2012 2:14:42 PM
"I have had the upgrade for a while now, hence all the "meet me's""

I had the upgrade during the first few months of Meet Me. I didn't get my first Meet Me until about a year after the upgrade expired. That said, I don't know if the upgrade included being first in Meet Me all the way back then. More importantly, I'm not sure that should have any significant effect on your number of Meet Me's (POF will obviously sell that concept as a feature, but that don't make it true). If *my* historical activity on Meet Me is any indication, you can easily run out of profiles within a few minutes of clicking, since they don't give you everybody in your area. Unless that's changed, what's it really matter if you are first or last? Most women would get to you eventually.

But I would like to see some longtime non-upgraded member from a larger market post here about the number of Meet Me's he has, because the only examples we have in this thread are you and Cowboy, who are both upgraded, so maybe there is something to being listed first and those 100s you guys have are therefore atypical, all other things being equal.

Still, as Aristotle agrees, 3 is absurd under any set of circumstances.
 Unguided Tourist
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/10/2012 2:58:44 PM
You may also want to try changing to different zip codes within your area. I read in the forums that coding for zip/postal codes has not worked well in certain areas.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2012 3:34:17 PM
"For a fair comparison they would also have to very close to your stats with respect to your profile."

I'm not looking for scientific accuracy here. I'm also not looking for what a similar man as myself achieves here. I want to know what the "typical" non-upgraded man gets, to make sure my "3" (which, curiously, just went up to 4 while we were discussing this! First new "Yes" in like a year!) is actually abnormal.

But if you've got 200 after only 8 months of this profile and live in a market that's much smaller than mine and have never been upgraded, then I guess the answer is, yes, 3/4 after 3 years in a large market is indeed abnormal.

So now we're back to my original question: Why the hell is this so?

"To eliminate a few variables I would first update your profile information, (about me, interests) delete and re-upload some new pictures, to see if that bumps you up in the que."

I update my profile about once a month. In late May I deleted all my pictures and re-uploaded some. Again, today I got my first new Meet Me in almost a year. BTW, because of this hidden profile business, I'm always checking to make sure I'm not hidden against my will... and I never am.

"You may also want to try changing to different zip codes within your area. I read in the forums that coding for zip/postal codes has not worked well in certain areas."

You would think that would go both ways, though. I haven't messed around with Meet Me much lately, but after they worked out some bugs, I could often go through over 100 profiles in a single session before it would run out. Which suggests there would be thousands available over the course of months. If thousands are available for a male in this zip, then thousands should be available for a female in the same zip or nearby zip, since men outnumber women about 1.5 to 1. Not that that's really a good thing as far as my profile coming up frequently, if you're one in thousands. But how many upgraded members could there be in an area? I should have the same random chance of appearing on a shorter woman's screen as almost any other guy. So either something's wrong technically with my profile... or something's REALLY wrong with me as a human being.

Although, I don't entirely discount the geographic factor. Now what I need to hear from is someone in the Tampa Bay area about how many Meet Me's they have.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/10/2012 3:34:31 PM

Why do you care? Its a completely useless application. It should be ignored.

I wouldn't go quite that far. Obviously the "maybe" thing is a problem, as many probably treat that as a "next" button. But I have had a fair amount of people from my list contact me, so there is at least some legitimacy to it. If they're on your list, at the very least, you know they didn't click "no" (or "hell no!").

I live in the middle of a metro almost ten times as large as yours

I'm not sure if being in a larger population center would necessarily automatically lead to more "yes" clicks. While there are more people available to possibly click "yes" on you, there are also more people that they would have to click through just to even get to you. Many could click through hundreds or even thousands before abandoning the feature (I've only ever clicked through about 5 people on it myself), and possibly never see you. Though you did say you were upgraded at one point, which would move you to the front. Has being upgraded always moved you to the front of the line since the inception of the meet me?

What I've always found odd about the meet me feature is that when you look at your list, it's supposed to give you the "Top 50 Users who want to meet you sorted by last activity." Yet it's neither 50 people long (but rather 70) nor sorted by last activity.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Why does the meet me number drop, than go up again?