Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > not so green travel mileage from the taxman?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 badge73
Msg: 1
view profile
History
not so green travel mileage from the taxman?Page 1 of 1    
filling out a load of forms today at work, i was handed a form back from the office about my travel expenses .... i was originally told i could claim 45p per mile, now this morning i was then informed it was now only 24p per mile and why?

because i ride a motorbike .... how very dare i.

i then put the office staff through a bit of grilling to be told not our rules its the inland revenues ... i then made a hasty retreat to the pc and looked it up.

From 2011/12 First 10,000 business miles in the tax year Each business mile over 10,000 in the tax year
Cars and vans 45p 25p
Motor cycles 24p 24p
Bicycles 20p 20p

i was quite startled when reading this up, for a start why should the bloke opposite my desk with the clapped out ford get almost twice the amount? does it use twice the amount of fuel or use special fuel? ..... no

then pulling my beard in anger, why should a bloody cyclists be able to claim? they dont use fuel, pay tax or insurance!!

should it not be done more to the actual cc of the engine or emissions? rather then the system above?
 badge73
Msg: 2
view profile
History
not so green travel mileage from the taxman?
Posted: 7/13/2012 4:32:39 AM

I don't know why bicycles should get it but as far as motorcycles yes they do use a lot less fuel than cars, I used to ride motorbikes and up to now I have never known a car that can do 100 miles on half a gallon, that is what I used to get out of a 125cc. Ok bigger bikes may use more but you are still not paying to move all the extra weight of the cars body and lack of streamlining.

can you name the bike you were using? bigger bikes will only do between 40 to 50 mpg which now a days is what most cars will do.

It cost more to run a car than it does to run a bike. It's not rocket science.

so most people would think woz, but it aint believe me, only the other week a few of the lads were comparing bike maintenance to cars and there wasnt a lot in it. only the other day i had a rear tire replaced for 130 quid, which is nothing special and most bike tires will only last around 6,000 miles if they are lucky.
 badge73
Msg: 3
view profile
History
not so green travel mileage from the taxman?
Posted: 7/15/2012 6:54:48 AM

The bike that used to get over 100miles to half a gallon for me was Suzuki GS125ES don't know why people need big bikes that used to be able to reach 82mph (well over the speed limit) if it had some weight on the back of the seat. Only had a half gallon tank and used to do London to Liverpool journey (about 200 miles) just having to fill up in Birmingham and usually had enough still in tank for running around all week in Liverpool.

really? ....

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Suzuki/Suzuki-GS125ES-1982-2000-/
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > not so green travel mileage from the taxman?