Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Just How accuarte is the My Matches feature?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GarnerGirl71
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Just How accuarte is the My Matches feature?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Not sure what criteria POF uses to determine you matches, but I have found it useless. Many of them can't even get through my email filters. All of the men I have met from here have either been ones that I searched and contacted, or those that contacted me through a search.
 vestaceres
Msg: 4
Just How accuarte is the My Matches feature?
Posted: 7/15/2012 1:44:39 AM
I don't allow any coded mechanism to decide who's a match for me or not. The responsibility of finding a like partner is mine.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2012 6:19:45 AM
As near as I can tell, it matches you up based upon whether or not you are of the same sex or not. Nothing more. There is probably an age component too, since I admit I don't see children listed for me to consider.

I have memberships on a number of sites, and NONE of them have software to arrange matches which is useful. It's really just a sort of random stirring of the pot sort of deal, with most of them.

The only people on the planet who appear to think that computerized matching software actually works, are the ad copy writers for the TV commercials for certain (horrible) sites.
 ohenryx
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2012 8:14:45 AM
It looks like most of the respondents so far are not directly addressing your question. Indirectly, yes, directly, no.

To be more direct: You cannot assume that a woman would be interested in dating you just because she showed up in your matches. Most 30 year old women are not interested in a man who is 48.

The way I handle this, I never make initial contact on women who are more than 10 years younger than myself. If they contact me, then all bets are off. Yes, it does happen, I recently went out on a couple of dates with a woman 15 years younger. It did not work out, but not because of the age difference.

The opposite viewpoint is, if you're attracted, send her a message. It does not cost anything. But you better have a thick skin, because the greater the age difference, the higher the percentage of rejections. And sometimes nasty rejections. When I was 58, and first starting out with online dating, I contacted a woman who was 41, 17 years younger. She sent me a scathing reply, something about "not interested in dating my grandfather".
 justlookingvt
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/15/2012 11:15:19 AM
It's amazingly accurate... it's probably the only matching system that would match Oprah Winfrey with Rush Limbaugh.

However, it is still wise to take its suggested matches with a grain of salt.
 Walts
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/15/2012 1:01:21 PM
I don't know. I find it pretty accurate with it trying to match me with 20 something year old bambis that can't spell, love UFC and tats, hate smokers(legal or illegal), and think that bud lite is an actual beer.
 scottbomb72
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/16/2012 9:52:04 AM
Try using the Advanced Search feature. It's the only one I use as I can filter things like race, religion, whatever I want. Only bad thing about it is that there is no way to filter out out those I've already contacted.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/16/2012 12:24:06 PM
The 'My Matches' feature also seems to have a geographical component, just for what it's worth.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/16/2012 3:38:43 PM
Even though the matches are not even accurate.
I still like the feature and use it.

It gives me an opening to type:
According to POF mathematics we are a match...
blah, blah, blah.

and a good opening..is often...all that is needed
to get something started.
:-P
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2012 4:59:09 PM
The 'My Matches' appears to be doing very basic reverse matching. As far as I can tell, if you fit within each other's age range, you/they get displayed in each other's match list. It might also be matching on smoking/non-smoking, drugs/no drugs as well but not children/no children. It seems like not all of the filters have been implemented.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:46:59 PM
The matching feature is totally and utterly useless.

Useless.

I do not know the criteria that they use, but I have been "matched" with men whom I had already met and found distasteful for a plethora of reasons.
 Worbug
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2012 6:14:28 PM
I call the Match feature McDonalds, everyone on it is always SUPER SIZE.

It used to be an assortment, but know has become a compilation of Jenny Craig BEFORE pictures. Always the same women on there, yet when I use the advanced search every shape ad size shows up, even when I just click the online right know, plenty of people in my area.

I'm guess I got flagged somehow that I only get the Bigguns now.

Oh sure I am shallow, but the women who don't like my looks are great.LOL

Not her to date, but I due like to look around.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/12/2012 7:52:08 PM

I do not know the criteria that they use

At one time, I thought it might be using a customized random number generator to generate member id pairs. That thought is probably incorrect because a random number generator would yield much better results.

Someone should have followed Walter Hailey's advise "It's easier to copy genius than to create mediocrity"... conclusion, "the hard way isn't the best way" :-)
 Maleman999
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/13/2012 11:16:02 AM
Years ago, long before PC's and cell phones, there used to be dating and match making businesses around who always claimed to have the ability to find you your perfect life partner. When PC's entered the marketplace, each of these businesses claimed to have a super duper computer that can perfectly match up people. After all, how can you argue who a computer picks. It must be a perfect match. lol. I would bet the computer randomly pick names out of its data base, or maybe the people running the business randomly picked names out of a hat and claimed the computer found a perfect match. Everything depended on how many people signed up and paid for the service, which was quite pricey. The My Matches feature seems to be no different, in that it randomly picks profiles to show within the geographic location of the person looking on it.
 SlaveDriver8
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/13/2012 1:22:01 PM
About as accurate as using an ouija board to figure out what planet the aliens took Elvis to.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/13/2012 2:38:03 PM
The 'Meet Me' feature is based on your own age range and distance searches, and then takes into account specs requested by the ladies as well. What that means is, it will find you maybe a total of three mechanically 'perfect' matches, mixed in with a few hundred random faces that have nothing to do with your searches except maybe age and distance.

I noticed dozens of ladies that showed up in the basic regional searches, or the 'my city' feature - but they never showed up in my 'Meet Me' list. It was because THEY are screening out guys based on their own preferences, and thus blocking out 'undesirables'. I changed my height to six feet, my income to $100K, and BOOM - just about ALL of them suddenly appeared in the 'Meet Me' list. It kind of pisses me off that ladies say they are not thaaaat interested in height or income, when it's pretty damn clear a big portion of them are screening out anyone just below 'perfect'.
 maryjo1975
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/13/2012 6:56:19 PM
I think it based on what you put in under the "Interests" section. On one page there will be pictures of guys with numbers under their pictures. I looked into and it said thats how many shared interests we have. So I am guessing thats why. So far, it hasnt worked.
 Juslookin01182
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/19/2012 8:40:49 PM

I tried the paid version of the matching thing.... my result, "We're sorry, we currently don't have a match for you." Imagine getting rejected by a matching site too? I find that really funny. I can't even pay to get matched up. :D

I got that same error message LOL. I was like....really? I'm doomed to be alone forever!!!
 OutMind
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/20/2012 2:57:39 PM
I personally believe that is very accurate. If something was about 98 percent on the money, would you call it accurate? I would say yes. And that feature is about 98 percent the type that I do not like. So, you see, it's very accurate.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Just How accuarte is the My Matches feature?