Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > What is fashion?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bootielicious
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What is fashion?Page 1 of 1    
I think it is the material being used that is at question. Denim can be unforgiving and not everyone can get away with it.

I think there are certain 'classic styles' that people are expected to wear when in the limelight or they go totally against the grain and are known to be accentric or trend sitters. Wearing something relatively normal, but not forgiving is a high risk and probably an air brushers nightmare.

I think the rest of us are ok to do what we please and usually if we see someone dressed completely inappropriately we wonder if they have any friends, as a real friend would say something. Either that or they know and don't care.

Now I'm at an age where apparently leggings are out. I'm too old and shouldn't be seen dead in them, but does it stop me? Does it eck! They are comfy and I think they look nice with a long top hiding my bum lol.

Apparently everyone is avoiding Marks & Spencers at the moment. They have had huge losses this year and being a frequenter of their food hall, I often pass through the clothes section and I can see why. They need to get some style and quickly!
 jaqi
Msg: 5
view profile
History
What is fashion?
Posted: 7/16/2012 9:43:55 AM
LOL I have never yet bought anything from Marks and Spencer! I have always thought their clothes to be frumpy and pretty dowdy! I never shop in a proper shop anyway :) always in charity shops but I can add that even in those I have never seen anything from M&S that I would have considered buying. For some unknown reason charity shops quite often price up M&S clothes as if they are designer stuff.... heavens!

I have bought Karen Millen and all makes of designer clothes in jumble sales for less than 50p an item yay ~note to self must start checking the papers for jumble sales again~

Having said that, from what I can see, a lot of men and women buy designer for the name only and not for whether the item of clothing actually suits them! Plus I can't get over just how many men won't buy anthing except designer!
 Chuzz16
Msg: 6
view profile
History
What is fashion?
Posted: 7/16/2012 9:53:23 AM
Oh dear....
I love M&S...not the every day department, but Per Una. I can't walk in there without seeing something I want, and I hate shopping.

I never really get the fashion thing,. If I see something and I like it ( and I think it suits me) I buy it.
 Chuzz16
Msg: 7
view profile
History
What is fashion?
Posted: 7/16/2012 10:03:36 AM
Why Nige? Do you think you would look good in one? :)

vvv..you see Jaqi, you are a woman of taste, and you didn't even know it.:) xxx
 jaqi
Msg: 8
view profile
History
What is fashion?
Posted: 7/16/2012 10:07:50 AM
OH bugga .... is Per Una an M&S label?? I concede if it is as I did buy a Per Una dress in a charity shop in Worksop of all places ... nearly every second shop is a charity shop and they're all scruffy :) It was the only thing I bought on that trip and I had to take it in 3 sizes ... it was a nice floral flemenco style dress but nothing as nice as the pukka gen one that I made for a recent dance demo!
 Tayfire
Msg: 9
view profile
History
What is fashion?
Posted: 7/16/2012 10:28:40 AM
Iv'e noticed recently that 70's fashion is comming back again especially for women with high platform soles and high wedges.
 jaqi
Msg: 11
view profile
History
What is fashion?
Posted: 7/16/2012 11:42:37 AM

people often ask where I get stuff & some of them look a bit miffed when I answer oxfam or whatever

I get the exact same! I buy 90% of my ballroom/latin dance dresses and skirts in them, when I'm not making them myself for the special demos, saves me an absolute fortune and I am always complimented on my outfits.

I'll stick with my eclectic anti fashion look

Good girl... me too!
 Jo van
Msg: 13
What is fashion?
Posted: 7/16/2012 2:35:44 PM
If anyone needs help pulling off a denim skirt, I'm willing to give it a go.
(As long as it's 'poppers' obviously, I wouldn't want to rip it.)

I think fashion is a strange thing. In my teens, I was a terrible fashion victim.
I'm already 6'1", so tottering about on 7" platform boots was hilarious, but like most young people, I was oblivious to criticism, what did THEY know..?
I only weighed about 11 stones at the time, so I looked like some sort of emaciated stick insect.
When combined with "Oxford Bags" (Naturally), I can remember going in pubs, and the entire bar looked like Circus Stilt-walkers.

I'm sure there are all sorts of deep sociological reasons for it.
Some sort of mating ritual, to show that as a man, you have enough disposable income, to be able to update your wardrobe frequently, perhaps..?

These days, it's mostly smart-casual, otherwise known as "nondescript".
But I never throw things away, so I have an enormous choice of ancient clothes.
Mostly in beige.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > What is fashion?