Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does this site really work?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutMind
Msg: 4
Does this site really work?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
For a while I was getting at least one date a week on a different site. FOF zero. Then out of the blue, a really cool girl responded from here. So does it work? Yes.

Think of a batting average. If your average is above 3, you are considered to have a good one. What that means really is that you suck 70 percent of the time. Well, same thing here. Keep trying, keep going at it.
 vestaceres
Msg: 6
Does this site really work?
Posted: 7/17/2012 12:39:20 PM
The effort you put into it will prove fruitful, eventually, whether here or somewhere else. You'll get to learn a lot about yourself, in the process, whether you pay the membership free or not.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:26:00 PM
You've been on here for two weeks and you're complaining?

You're going to need more tenacity than that.

It worked for me, though not in two weeks, two months, or two years.
 TheFamine
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:30:40 PM
Yes, it works. If you hit send, the messages go through and they can read what you wrote. If you need something quicker than that, go to one of the mixers they constantly send out in your inbox.
 tuner_dude11
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/18/2012 12:27:28 AM
yes sir it sure does. i have made many good friends on this site. one of which is my soon to be wife. i know its hard to be patient cuz i am as impatient as you can be lol. but patience really is the key. it took me 7 months to find her but it was all worth it
 MikeyChemie
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/19/2012 12:08:10 PM
Yes. Your results may vary. There are a lot of guides to online dating. I would recommend you look at BravoPUA. Hes got an amazing hour long video on youtube about POF online dating.

You have't to work on it bro. If real life dating wasn't easy, what makes you think online dating is a cake walk? Theres a hell of a lot more guys messaging girls online than actually guys approaching girls in real life. You better have a sick picture or damn funny / witty lines.
 bigruss01
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/19/2012 2:26:35 PM
yes this site works. so do all the other sites. it can take 5 minutes or 50 years to find the one for you. my lady and i met off this site. we talked a few days then met and have not been seperated much time at all. becarefull of the players and scammers though..
 bmore_goat
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2012 11:33:05 PM
Yep, sure does. I've always been able to get a date when I've been inclined to meet someone from here. I know for a fact there are POF events not far from you. You should check those out. And for the record 2 weeks is nothing. I've first joined in April and didn't get my first date from here until August , but I had a blast at several POF events the entire summer
 mccrackin15
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/20/2012 4:42:57 PM
I haven't read all the responses so I'm sorry if I'm repeating. I haven't met my soul mate here but I have met some great people and for whatever reason didn't work out. I went on many dates with fun people and experienced things I never have before. I went diving, fished in a decked out shanty , rode a Harley, drove the General Lee, dined above a city, ended up in a St. Pat's Day parade, and saw things I didn't know existed. Better...I made some really great friends. I just opened my mind and gave interesting people a shot. After a while I met someone on another site. It can work but really, it's a numbers game. So many people are here for a hookup only that it makes others feel like they need to hookup only but just keep at it. Best of Luck!
 privat33r
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2012 10:35:10 PM
Am I on a different site than everyone else? I'm scared to remove the salt and poison I've spread on the doorstep of my profile. WTF is there some type of timewarp going on, or is my city devoid of eligible guys.

YUeah, the site works. Say what's going on, talk to people with something in common. I have to admit I've only met 3, and none are working out just this moment- of course its almost 2am,.we'll see tomorrow.
 Cloud188
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2012 5:31:44 PM
I don't think I've ever talked to somebody on here. Gonna keep trying I guess
 MJ8227
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/25/2012 1:56:51 AM
It works. Just be selective and make sure to read profiles. There are just as many wacko women on here as there are men. Learn how to see the red flags choose who you message wisely. That's how you get the best results. Don't just go by looks because a lot of the really good looking girls on this site (at least in my area) are Glenn Close waiting to happen.
 AdriaticMind
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2012 2:22:41 AM
It works, but it can take a LONG time to find someone decent. I've had 6 boyfriends, and I met all but one online, 3 here, and 2 on another site. This time around hasn't been very fruitful thus far. It seems that most men just fade away and stop writing, but that may just be my experience.
 Wedne003
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/26/2012 8:27:38 AM
All I can say is do not give up, I have met some great woman on this site even though none have led to a relationship.
It will take time and effort no matter what.

Never never give up and take it ALL as a learning and growing experience
 Frogy27
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 8:34:48 AM
i have been here a yr i tryd for 3 months to meet a girl sent a averge of 200 to 300 mssga a month say hi how are you like your pro find you interstin not one awner back so idont no what woman want the dont want me in less i pay for ther time
 abmccray
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 2:01:41 PM

im not giving up at all, and im sorry to all if i come across wrong or as a whinier, which i am not, i just state my opinion and my experiences ive had on here for over 9 months, to mee, it is what all womne want. im not wrong until im proven it. but some women also whine and complian that all men are jerks and no other women attack them like the do me, hell theres a thread about why are so many men too picky and its a million pages long, contradiction!!! i will keep on trying and try to improve but some must at least see my point. nhra1966

Your reception would probably improve just from running your profile text through a spell-checker, for starts.

I don't know why people don't pay attention to that most basic thing - that's as much of a first impression as your pics.
 notsostarvinartist
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/26/2012 3:01:20 PM
You asking the wrong Q brotha man the Q isn't "does this site work?" it's "do you work?" keep in mind there's 1 million brotha's on here an probably half as many females...just cause a female is on here don't mean she in to you, and also keep in m ind she may already be interested in another dude. So you have a better chance at getting a bullet playing Russian roulette than gettin a woman on here.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/26/2012 3:51:27 PM
this site works for some people, not others. i will go against the grain here and say not to put a lot of time and effort into this site for dating. put your time, thoughts, and effort, into your life outside pof. check messages (or the lack thereof) occasionally, browse profiles, and send out the occasional message. you shouldnt lower yourself down to a level where you find yourself sending out 100's of messages with the hope of one response. dont play that game.
 KeepinCool29
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 8:39:08 PM
I have had plenty of luck with this site. Alot of it has to do with your approach.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 52
Posted: 7/26/2012 8:47:12 PM
rockabilly: sadly, the 4 sentence profile isnt the problem. it doesnt much matter what your profile says as long as you have good pics up. what your profile actually says is far less important than what your pics look like.

maybe you were attracted to the guy you met on here by what he actually said in his profile, and not his pics. if so, thats great! it makes you one of the better finds on this site.

anyone not having luck on here, take new pics. have a friend help you take some really good ones. you can tweak your profile a little, but like i said, the pics are whats gonna make things easier for you. people take one look at a pic and decide whether or not theyll talk to you.
 Frogy27
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2012 9:08:22 AM
i think if ur the alpha type you get what you want me i dont see the point in chaseing woman around and beeing a dog if i like a girl then i try to let her now i like but if she dont show that she likes me back take the hint she ant in to me.
 ArtFromMargate
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2012 4:16:40 PM
I have been on this site about four years, and I can assure you that it does work. I have met and dated about three dozen women, maybe more. Many of them turn out to be one date & goodbye, but I have also dated enough others for several months at a time. I am almost 74 years old, and if I can meet all the women I want, the younger guys should have it even better. I met a woman for lunch today, and I have a breakfast date with another one tomorrow morning.
POF gives suggestions on writing your profile, and what your pictures should include, and what they should not include. Listen to what they say...this is their business, and they know what they're saying.
I have fine tuned my profile a few times, and I can usually get a few responses a week. It is absolutely important to read the woman's profile, as well as her interests, and talk about them in your first message to her.
I have quite a few female friends who are also on POF, and if you want it straight from the horses mouth, don't talk about sex in your approach. They will think of you as a jerk, and will delete your message.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/27/2012 8:52:25 PM
mfx32:

its almost always the pics bro. ive conducted similar experiments myself. 99.9999% of the women on this site are totally full of it. they give a big long description of the type of guy theyre looking for when in reality all they want is a great looking guy. the rest is things theyd LIKE to have, but if you are good looking enough, the rest doesnt matter. i made a profile with pics of a shirtless model taking pics in front of his mirror with a girl cropped out (all big red flags if you read the forums) and was bombed with messages. the profile itself was basically empty.

i have a friend on here now and his pof experience has been a smashing one! he set up his profile the other night and had 3 women ask him out that night alone. not to mention all the people who clicked that theyd like to meet him, or the messages he just didnt answer. and he didnt really have anything in common with any of these women either. he was even asking me why they bothered to message him because reading what they say theyre looking for tells him he aint it.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/28/2012 8:53:26 AM
This isn't marriage.com, relationship.com or snatch.com

It's a tool to contact strangers.

If you keep your expectations to a minimum, you'll have no problem meeting strangers.

If you expect to meet Ms. Right right now, forget it.
 ArtFromMargate
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2012 1:01:17 PM
I wrote a reply the other day, but I don't see it posted.In answer to your question, the answer is yes, I have had great luck getting replies, and getting dates on POF. The simple secret is to follow POF's own sugestions, and write to as many women as you can. What they suggest, and what I do, is to read the woman's profile carefully.....look for her interests, read about what she said she is looking for, and write about what you see.
I have been widowed since 2007, and have been on POF for quite a while, and in that time I have met and dated at least 3 dozen women. I had breakfast this morning with a woman from POF, and we have plans to go out to dinner and dancing at my Elks lodge next weekend.
I'm 74 years old, and if I can meet these woman, I say that any man can. It just takes a little work, and some common sense to be the man they are looking to meet.
I have made a lot of female friends during the past 4+ years, and some of them have told me about what they call creeps. Men who talk about their sexual conquests, their genitals or how they want to seduce a woman, are all deleted within a few seconds, and marked as creeps.
The women I talk with all tell me they want to meet a "regular" guy, a decent guy, and someone who shares their interests, and tells them about his interests.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does this site really work?