Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > DIabetes and dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 afixerupper
Msg: 1
view profile
History
DIabetes and datingPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hi, newly diagnosed T2... wondering how other diabetics have worked around the more restrictive diabetic lifestyle to meet people. Still learning the diet and what exercise program works for me, and adjusting to the reality of it all. Lot of people over 45 are diabetic, thought some could share their wisdom with a newbie, and at the same time enlighten the curious.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:16:44 PM
My boyfriend was diagnosed a week after we met.

He started making small changes in his eating habits immediately. He eats very healthy now, with the occasional exception. We eat out all the time, and his lifestyle changes have had nothing but positive effects on our relationship.

He's lost 80 lbs., looks and feels fantastic, and I have lost some weight, too, as a result.

Good luck in your journey!
 TC2u
Msg: 3
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 7/17/2012 6:51:01 PM
I have a brother that's been married to a diabetic going on 10 years, and a friends that's married to one. The clincher? They both met their wives online. My brother through a dating site.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 4
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 7/17/2012 7:44:38 PM
Type 2 is nothing compared to type 1. My baby was dx right after his 7th b-day. What a nitemare! Just follow ur diet to a T, it will help. In some cases type 2 is reversable.
 smokincigars
Msg: 5
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:05:19 AM
Type 2 diabetes management is a three-legged stool. The legs are diet, exercise and medication; for real stability you need all three. But unlike a stool, some people are able to reduce or eliminate the medication "leg" by putting enough effort into a healthy diet and sufficient physical activity.

The factor that is the biggest problem in dating is food, but it isn't that hard to cope with dietary restrictions -- because the major restriction isn't what you can eat but how much of certain things you can have. Fast food places are always a problem, but with a little education and experience you can learn which menu items are best; you can also just decide that you won't eat the complete serving, especially with high-carbohydrate foods. Buffets are like a two-edged sword: all those tempting choices (not to mention "all you can eat"), but usually you can find plenty of lower-carbohydrate items. With full-service restaurants or when eating at home, check the carbohydrate count if it's given or just look for the healthier items and/or smaller portions.

If necessary, take along your medication so you can take a dose at your regular time. (With some oral medications, it's advisable to take them about 30 minutes before eating; you can always carry bottled water in your car and take them before meeting your date.)

Suggest dating activities that actually involve some physical activity. And it isn't all that difficult, because it all adds up. Just walking from the car to the cineplex to see a popular movie counts -- and if the place is busy, you'll probably have to park more than a few steps from the ticket window anyway. (The Dark Knight Rises, or any other movie showing at the same multi-screen theater, should mean a packed parking lot so you're almost certain to have to park some distance away.)

Alcohol is a problem. First, it's high in calories. Second, it can interact with some diabetes medications to cause a dramatic drop in blood glucose, and hypoglycemia can be dangerous. If you're on metformin, never drink too soon after taking a dose, don't drink too much, and don't even think about driving after drinking.
 smokincigars
Msg: 6
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 7/18/2012 7:45:58 PM

I have a friend (gay if that matters) who WAS a diabetic.

He turned to exercise and healthy eating. He enjoyed running and roll-skating, also swimming. By choice, he turned to a vegan diet, where he would have cakes only on marked ocassions and very little alcohol.

He got to the point where he lost a lot of weight, and was able to keep his sugar levels under 100. That allowed him to be able to get rid of the medication, albeit sticking to the diet and exercise.

@pitufina_77, please give your friend my congratulations on such good control of his diabetes. His example shows what serious attention and determined diabetes management can do.

But as you undoubtedly know, your friend is still (at least technically) a Type 2 diabetic, even though his blood glucocse level is well controlled without oral medication. The big difference for him is, he is able to manage his diabetes with diet and exercise alone. Many of us could do the same if we had the same discipline; unfortunately, most of us, myself included, don't.

One thing I'm taking away from your post is the way your friend finds physical activity that's fun. Exercise just for the sake of exercise is boring, which is why we don't enjoy it. Disguise it as something you like to do, and it's easy to work into a healthy daily life.
 tbicon
Msg: 7
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 7/18/2012 8:22:15 PM

And it isn't all that difficult, because it all adds up. Just walking from the car to the cineplex to see a popular movie counts . . . . Exercise just for the sake of exercise is boring, which is why we don't enjoy it.

Walking is better than nothing, but not by much, especially if it doesn't tax your cardiovascular system. I have been exercising myself for so long now that unless I get my heart rate above 90 percent of my theoretical maximum heart rate, I don't feel like I have made much of an effort. And the studies also indicate that vigorous excersise is far better than less vigorous exercise. The problem is that some people are so exercise resistant that if you tell them they are going to have to work, they just won't do it. It needs to be a stroll in the park . . literally.

As far as exercise being boring . . that is only if it is not strenuous enough. Try some high intensity interval training and you will not think about being bored. Your only thoughts will be willing yourself on to get through the interval. I exercise on an elliptical most days and play music, watch the Today show . . whatever. Once you do it enough, it becomes part of your life and habits and if you miss a session you really miss it.
 afixerupper
Msg: 8
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:09:50 PM
Your liver can raise your glucose with glycogen production while you sleep. I have had problems with fibro in the past not so much now so I understand how you have to parse out your energy during the day. Very tough equation to work around. You MUST do some exercise within your ability and limits. You can also cut carbs down to about nil for a while by eating mostly protein and fats. Some try to keep their carb intake to under 20-30 grams a day if they are having trouble keeping their numbers down. Others who are able to exercise more or have more pancreatic function can do more, like 80-150 or what have you. The more carbs you eat the further you have to walk to keep your numbers down in the healhty range. Over 140 is where damage starts, so try to keep it under that. I am new at this, but so far, that is my understanding. Start reading the carbs and serving sizes on everything you eat. Curb your hunger cravings with fat. Pork rinds have no carbs. Potato chips will send your numbers to the moon. Broccoli is very full of nutrition and fiber. It will help you stay full. you can nuke a broccoli crown in the microwave with some cheese and have something yummy in five minutes. Hope this helps. Thanks all that posted. My eyes are very blurry and I can hardly read right now, so sorry if this is full of typos. Mostly typing by feel.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 9
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:36:05 PM
My mother was and my brother and sister are T2 Diabetic. Diabetes does not have to curtial dating in the least as long as you are vigilent about following your management plan. Eating a low carb diet can be very healthy and flavorful and if you are getting exercise (walking an hour or more at a brisk pace is great exercise), and testing often so you can dose correctly, you will control your diabetes and prevent vascular/organ damage.

And Bohunkus, think colorful veggies and protiens like lean meat, tree nuts, sunflower seeds, soybeans, etc. Watermelon is a great sweet snack that is low carb and gives you 20% of your daily Vitamin C per 1 cup. Avoid the white foods...sugar, flour, white potatoes, pasta, etc. and replace them with colorful veggies and lean protiens. Use seasonings like garlic, hot peppers, cinnamon, fresh basil...food will taste great and be healthy.
 turnitover1959
Msg: 10
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/4/2013 1:11:32 PM
I am T2 in remission- a combination of diet, exercise, weight loss and meds did the job. I no longer have to take the meds. T2 is fully controllable. Good Luck
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 11
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/4/2013 1:24:15 PM
Most diabetic MEN are impotent. So, if you don't want a sex life with your significant other, well, that shouldn't be a problem.
 colortvgranpa
Msg: 12
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/4/2013 6:10:26 PM
Having lost my husband to type 2 diabetes I can say:
It will get very wild even with medication- the numbers will start to fluctuate and no amount of medication will be able to keep you at home- you'll visit the hospital many times.
Yes, diabetes left him impotent: at 47.
Yes he had eye surgery- it blinded both his eyes.
Yes- he had hardening of his arteries and an open heart surgery followed by another- to remove the infection he got.
Yes he lost circulation to his legs and had surgery to bring new conducts to his legs.
Yes, he lost kidney function and went on dialysis.Every other day.
Yes, He suffered various amputations.
He had many infections, lost his elimination capabilities and had to wear diapers and a urine tube.
He went into comma three times.His body swelled like a balloon, then he lost all his body mass.
My poor husband spent one and a half year in ICU.
At the end he said: I'm going to the loving arms of Jesus.
And one day very early in the morning-God took pity on him, and took his soul.
Even with all these new medications and procedures, this is a silent killer.
 OhioEmptyNester
Msg: 13
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/4/2013 8:16:39 PM
I was also recently (within the last 5 months) diagnosed with diabetes. I think mine is called type 3 which I control with my diet and exercise (no pills or shots so far). There are quite a lot of foods that I had to give up; my best friends now are peanut butter and an apple or celery. I do still eat foods that I shouldn’t when I have a craving or maybe out on a date. Best advice I know to give you is try to stay away from pasta, dairy, and bread products. Oh and get on multivitamins!

On a date or with friends I usually get a salad and instead of the normal salad dressing I ask for hot souse, it has a lot less sugar. For my drink I like, unsweetened ice-tea. Chicken is good also grilled no bun.
 satx78218
Msg: 14
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/5/2013 5:14:55 AM
"Most diabetic MEN are impotent. So, if you don't want a sex life with your significant other, well, that shouldn't be a problem."

same goes for pre-diabetic men having quasi-impotence.

Add in the oestrogen analogues consumed from plastics and you have serious need/increase in d!ck hardeners.
 Just___Jim
Msg: 15
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/5/2013 6:33:42 AM
Your liver can raise your glucose with glycogen production while you sleep.

Excellent point on how the liver works and how blood glucose also works too as in carbs.

I found when you reduce your carb intake and in turn will reduce or deplete the liver glycogen production, and in turn you will use your body fat for energy needed to function. And the blood glucose will drop to a safe range plus you will lose weight.
And the glycemic chart is a great way to control and understand carb intake. Live,exercise and fast once in a while should see some changes in better control.
 colortvgranpa
Msg: 16
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/5/2013 7:20:15 AM
Basically the Atkins diet will help you get rid of most of it.
I think? That's what I heard.
 domainfullduplex100
Msg: 17
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/5/2013 6:37:53 PM

Having lost my husband to type 2 diabetes I can say:
It will get very wild even with medication- the numbers will start to fluctuate and no amount of medication will be able to keep you at home- you'll visit the hospital many times.
Yes, diabetes left him impotent: at 47.
Yes he had eye surgery- it blinded both his eyes.
Yes- he had hardening of his arteries and an open heart surgery followed by another- to remove the infection he got.
Yes he lost circulation to his legs and had surgery to bring new conducts to his legs.
Yes, he lost kidney function and went on dialysis.Every other day.
Yes, He suffered various amputations.
He had many infections, lost his elimination capabilities and had to wear diapers and a urine tube.
He went into comma three times.His body swelled like a balloon, then he lost all his body mass.
My poor husband spent one and a half year in ICU.
At the end he said: I'm going to the loving arms of Jesus.
And one day very early in the morning-God took pity on him, and took his soul.
Even with all these new medications and procedures, this is a silent killer.

sad to read the above. Just a torturous disease we should all be weary off. Sorry for your loss.
 Steve0110
Msg: 18
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/5/2013 9:40:13 PM
I became diabetic after a medication prescribed by a doctor killed my pancreas. I am not impotent after 6 years of multiple shots a day. I'm not as healthy as I was before, but neither is it doom and gloom for everyone. I've lost 80 lbs (all of which I put on being bedridden for 6 months 6 years ago from the med) and feel better now than in many years.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 19
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/5/2013 10:23:05 PM
My condolences. zI lost my stepmother to diabetes in almost the same fashion.
 punchartist
Msg: 20
Diabetes and dating
Posted: 4/8/2013 11:42:40 AM
If you get to this age, there are odds that you have a dietary health issue or even a food allergy. Most restaurants, you can find a "lighter/healthier" version. If there's something you see and want on a menu, ask if they can leave off the sauce/gravy, or put it on the side. That way you can still enjoy it and cut the carbs. Oh, and those ooey gooey desserts you crave, most times you can have a bite... just not a slab of cake. Most of us are satisfied with that bite and only feel as if we MUST finish the portion given, despite our desire or hunger for it.

Testing your blood sugar levels often will keep you on your diet.

People with colon issues can't safely eat seeds, nuts, berries, lettuce,... because it forms polyps in the colon that get infected... cause pain, thus going in for treatment. Not fun..
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Diabetes and dating
Posted: 4/8/2013 12:05:09 PM
Diabetes tends to run in certain families, also...Mainly African-American and Native American. I can count on one hand the number of African-American people I know who AREN'T diabetic. And they're not all overweight. Look at Halle Berry....a long-time diabetic. I worked with a woman who was 5'1" and weighed 90 pounds who was so seriously diabetic that she had an insulin pump implanted.

My ex husband had pre-diabetes (I know that now), in his early 30's and suffered chronic impotence -- which, of course, got blamed on ME....Impotent men do that a lot.....blame the women in their lives.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 22
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/8/2013 2:02:35 PM

I became diabetic after a medication prescribed by a doctor killed my pancreas.

Would it be too personal to ask what it was? Because I would really like to avoid that!

Glad you're doing so well though.

Actually it seems everyone posting here, who is a patient, has made great strides in controlling this! Well played by all.
 OhioEmptyNester
Msg: 23
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 4/8/2013 2:09:01 PM
My diabetes was also medicine induced. I was on steroids for inflammation. Later I found out if you’re on them to long it can cause diabetes. Lucky me!

I am happy that everything still seems to function down there so far….
 Ghalahad
Msg: 24
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 11/29/2018 12:46:34 PM
Hello,
Im a fairly new T1 Diabetic. I am 45, but was diagnosed as Insulin dependent at the age of 38. Im kind of a unique case ;) Anyway for me grasping it still gets hard at times because many factors can come into play to interrupt normal routines. Such as getting a cold or even being out and not knowing exactly what ingredients are in something. For me, it was important to clear my mind, and get closer to how I was feeling inside. Its kind of hard to explain. But I sort of have a built in Glucose meter now. Im very tuned into how I am feeling, where I can usually guess within a couple of integers what my glucose test will produce. I wish there were easy fool proof explanations. But in time, if youre focused and take it seriously, you will get it.
Paul
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 25
view profile
History
DIabetes and dating
Posted: 12/5/2018 3:53:11 AM
I dated 2 insulin diabetic men from online.
They didn't tell me but pulled out a needle from the glove box and shot themselves in the stomach.
I don't recommend doing any medication in front of 1st dates unless you explain what and why.
Complete turn-off.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > DIabetes and dating