Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Mass Shooting at Colo. Movie Theater, 12 People Dead[CLOSED ]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 1
Mass Shooting at Colo. Movie Theater, 12 People Dead[CLOSED ]Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Mass Shooting at Colo. Movie Theater, 12 People Dead
By ANTHONY CASTELLANO | Good Morning America – 5 hours ago...

http://gma.yahoo.com/mass-shooting-colo-movie-theater-14-people-dead-085940786--abc-news-topstories.html

A lone gunman dressed in riot gear burst into a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., at a midnight showing of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises" and methodically began shooting patrons, killing at least 12 people and injuring at least 50.

The suspect, James Holmes, 24, of Aurora, was caught by police in the parking lot of the Century 16 Movie Theaters, nine miles outside Denver, after police began receiving dozens of 911 calls at 12:39 a.m. MT. Police said the man appeared to have acted alone.

Witnesses in the movie theater said Holmes crashed into the auditorium through an emergency exit about 30 minutes into the film, set off a smoke bomb, and began shooting. Holmes stalked the aisles of the theater, shooting people at random, as panicked movie-watchers in the packed auditorium tried to escape, witnesses said.

"You just smelled smoke and you just kept hearing it, you just heard bam bam bam, non-stop. The gunman never had to reload. Shots just kept going, kept going, kept going," one witness told ABC News.

"I'm with coworkers and we're on the floor praying to God we don't get shot, and the gunshots continue on and on, and when the sound finally stopped, we started to get up and people were just bleeding," another theatergoer said.

Police said 10 victims died inside the theater, while dozens of others were taken to local hospitals, including a child as young as 6 years old.

A San Diego woman identifying herself as James Holmes's mother spoke briefly with ABC News this morning.

She had awoken unaware of the news of the shooting and had not been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son may have been involved.

"You have the right person," she said.

"I need to call the police," she added. "I need to fly out to Colorado."

Holmes was wearing a bullet-proof vest and riot helmet and carrying a gas mask, rifle, and handgun, when he was apprehended, according to police. Holmes mentioned having explosives stored, leading police to evacuate his entire North Aurora apartment complex and search the buildings early this morning.

Witnesses watching movies in theaters next to the one where the shooting took place said bullets tore through the theater walls and they heard screaming.

"The suspect throws tear gas in the air, and as the tear gas appears he started shooting," said Lamar Lane, who was watching the midnight showing of the movie with his brother. "It was very hard to breathe. I told my brother to take cover. It took awhile. I started seeing flashes and screaming, I just saw blood and people yelling and a quick glimpse of the guy who had a gas mask on. I was pushed out. There was chaos, we started running."

One witness said she saw people dropping to the ground after the gunshots began.

"We were maybe 20 or 30 minutes into the movie and all you hear, first you smell smoke, everybody thought it was fireworks or something like that, and then you just see people dropping and the gunshots are constant," witness Christ Jones told ABC's Denver affiliate KMGH. "I heard at least 20 to 30 rounds within that minute or two."

A man who talked to a couple who was inside the theater told ABC News, "They got up and they started to run through the emergency exit, and that when she turned around, she said all she saw was the guy slowly making his way up the stairs and just firing at people, just picking random people," he said. "The gunshots continued to go on and on and then after we didn't hear anything...we finally got up and there was people bleeding, there was people obviously may have been actually dead or anything, and we just ran up out of there, there was chaos everywhere."

Witnesses and victims were taken to Gateway High School for questioning.

Hundreds of police and FBI agents are involved in the investigation. A senior official who is monitoring the situation in Washington said that early guidance based on the early snapshot of this man's background indicated that this act does not appear to be linked to radical terrorism or anything related to Islamic terrorism.

Though police have said that they believe the shooter was acting alone, they checked all cars in the parking lot and cleared the area near the theater.

In a statement, President Obama said, "Michelle and I are shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado. Federal and local law enforcement are still responding, and my administration will do everything that we can to support the people of Aurora in this extraordinarily difficult time. We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded."

A man who was in the adjacent theater with his son, said that the commotion began as one of the action scenes was starting up.

"These guys came through, and they say someone's shooting," he said. "I thought, 'Oh, they must have heard the fireworks, you know ... I had no idea. And then the alarms started to go off in the theater.'"

An explosive device was also found inside the movie house. Police are not sure whether the device, which investigators are calling a bomb, was already in place or whether it was thrown into the crowd.

Ambulances rushed to the scene as audience members fled the theater.

Investigators are now interviewing friends and associates of the suspect to get a sense of the man's background.

Gun Control Thread Going Nowhere.

OP - read the posted rules with regards to simply posting a news story without stating your position or comments.

THREAD CLOSED

HawkingJr
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 8:01:16 AM
That was a man taking this movie WAAAAAAAAY too seriously, although he probably was sane enough to realize that many rabid fans come to midnight screenings dressed as characters in the movie, and wearing a Bane-type vest and gas mask probably wouldn't draw much attention to him as he wandered around the parking lot and entered the building (although if I saw him, I probably would have questioned the "fake" rifle he was toting).

I actually saw "Dark Knight Rises" at an advanced screening myself. I would say it's difficult to imagine it having ended up like this one, but having worked in theaters for years, I've seen all kinds of chaos -- though this is obviously a few steps above anything I've experienced.

His "motives" will be interesting to say the least -- good that he wasn't killed or that he didn't kill himself. Interesting that this happened not far from Columbine. And it will also be interesting to see what becomes of this thread, with all the guns' rights and mental patients and child-rearing arguments that will erupt. But perhaps a line from the previous Batman movie is most appropriate here: Some men just want to watch the world burn.
 AnAustralianWoman
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/20/2012 8:15:43 AM
14 dead now including an infant child.
More than likely another drug affected dood who has no interaction or respect for fellow human beings.
This guy must of thought he was in another world...Why is it good that he didn't kill himself? He is going to rot in prison whilst people are mourning the loss of their loved ones.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 8:43:25 AM
"Why is it good that he didn't kill himself?"

So he can answer the questions that the Columbine and Virginia Tech killers never did.
 CharminC
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/20/2012 10:02:18 AM
More than likely another drug affected dood who has no interaction or respect for fellow human beings.

^^
Ever notice most of the high profiled killers were not drug affected? At least, drugs were not the foremost mentioned in media therefore not clearly a main blame for their actions.
What could be to blame is a simple common fact....batshyt crazy.
There's crazy and then there's batshyt crazy.

edit*
14 dead now including an infant child.

oh dear :(
 balrog67
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/20/2012 10:41:19 AM
WTF is it with Colorado?? Columbine and now this. Rocky Mountain High my ass.....
:-(
 HawkingJr
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 10:46:14 AM
"OR a PhD student specializing in neuroscience."

Yeah, it's questions like that: how do you go from a real life "Big Bang Theory" aspirant to killing a dozen innocent moviegoers while dressed like one of the characters in the film? It seems pretty unlikely it was drug-fueled considering how booby-trapped his apartment is, which would have taken considerable time and concentration.

I have not heard much mention of the fact that Aurora is quite close to Columbine (well Balrog just did while I was making this post!). Could be just a coincidence or something really weird might be going on in South Park land. In any event, we had kind of assumed when Columbine happened that its lessons would help prevent future massacres, but most of the ones since then seem to have only had one thing in common with it (besides location in this case): a lot of people were shot. The backgrounds and motives of the killers have all been highly diverse -- which since Columbine hasn't really repeated itself, maybe means those lessons were learned but there's always some new crazy on the horizon. I do feel like the United States has become a more tolerant and civil place, especially among youth, since Columbine, but you can't tell that from online interactions, including POF forums.
 OyVay...
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/20/2012 10:48:14 AM
And HOW will the NRA spin this one?

Do we really need more assault rifles for sport? 12 dead, 38 wounded and the beat goes on...

When will we finally deal with this problem. When will we finally realize that crazy people can buy guns far too easily. Now lets wait and hear from all the gun wackos on the site!
 mungojoe
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/20/2012 10:57:48 AM
And, apparently, one of the victims just missed being in the midst of the shooting in Toronto's Eaton Centre last month...

After buying dinner in the mall's food court at 6:20 p.m., Redfield wrote that she felt "funny" and left the mall to get some fresh air.

"It was almost a panicky feeling that left my chest feeling like something was missing. A feeling that was overwhelming enough to lead me to head outside in the rain," she wrote.

"The gunshots rung out at 6:23. Had I not gone outside, I would’ve been in the midst of gunfire."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/07/20/denver-shooting-victim-eaton-centre.html
 onlydateIF
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/20/2012 11:26:33 AM
^ I was just gonna say the same thing. The fact he was involved in neuroscience, then dropped out, first thing I thought of was psych meds. Maybe someday people on psych meds won't get gun permits...How many incidents will it take?
 RushLuv
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/20/2012 12:45:25 PM
SMDH....
 PinkZombies
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/20/2012 1:06:27 PM
Perhaps the shooter needed psych meds and therapeutic interventions but did not receive them. We really don't know yet. If someone out there has a serious mental illness that impairs their ability to function, I would rather they receive treatment.
 Miss W
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/20/2012 1:26:37 PM
OR a PhD student specializing in neuroscience.

I work at a university in a school of one of the "hard sciences" and these students can be pretty intense. We had one jump from a building several years ago.

The daughter of one of my coworkers happens to know the shooter as they were in the same Ph.D. program (he dropped out last month), they had classes and labs together, he briefly dated one of her friends, and were at the same party last weekend. NO ONE had any idea that he was disturbed, he must have snapped.

My coworker is so grateful that she didn't go to the movie last night as she did consider it, as she is often up late working in the lab. They are not letting anyone into her lab until they can ensure that it isn't booby trapped. Very, very scary.

As for the shyt for brains parents who took their small children and baby to this film IN THE 1ST PLACE...AND at Midnight? WTF were these people thinking?
 matchlight
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 1:30:33 PM

When will we finally deal with this problem.

Who is "we?" Both Congress and the states are free to place reasonable restrictions on firearms.

Do we really need more assault rifles for sport?

At such short range, this murderer would not have needed an AR-15 to kill a lot of people--he also had a couple .40 cal. pistols and a shotgun. I don't know why you focus on "assault rifles," except to make semi-automatic rifles sound sinister. Semi-auto rifles, shotguns, and pistols that are in no way military weapons have been common for a long time.

When will we finally realize that crazy people can buy guns far too easily.

Is there some evidence that Holmes is crazy, and not just evil? His academic success and the amount of planning he did argue against insanity. What grounds were there, if any, for preventing him from having guns?

It's a pity no one in the audience was armed so he could have stopped this **stard. I got used to seeing people openly carry guns when I lived in Phoenix. It never made me feel the least nervous.
 OyVay...
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/20/2012 2:03:38 PM
Hahahahaha!!! I knew I could depend on you guys!

Yes, maybe an armed person, could have added to the body count as well. I luv the way the gun nuts say if someone was armed they could have stopped this. You did read he had full body armour and a helmet right? So that means your target would have to be his face, small target, and if you missed and someone standing behind him, trying to get out, what then?

"Yep, I'm a gun rights wacko.:))"

So then, your happy about all the people around the country being shot? How many MORE people have to die, before we begin to have better control of who can purchase firearms? Colorado is a model state for this, ain't they?

Columbine, Gabby Giffords, now this...how many more have to die before we do something? This isn't the freakin 19th century! 71 PEOPLE SHOT...12 DEAD...this is a crime against all of us!
 mungojoe
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/20/2012 2:04:37 PM

It's a pity no one in the audience was armed so he could have stopped this **stard. I got used to seeing people openly carry guns when I lived in Phoenix. It never made me feel the least nervous.

--could be that if we were more accustomed to open carry and folks less afraid of firearms, someone in the crowd could have taken the guy out before 14 lost their lives and more injured. Yep, I'm a gun rights wacko. :))

Well OyVay... looks like your post was somewhat prophetic... Sure didn't take long for the "OK Corral" crowd to start crowing...

Here's something for the ones I quoted... Think you can POSSIBLY, just possibly, show a little sensitivity first, show a little bit of compassion, BEFORE you start screeching about gun rights and "wild west" scenarios...?

Nah, I didn't think so...
 _babblefish
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/20/2012 2:24:24 PM
--could be that if we were more accustomed to open carry and folks less afraid of firearms, someone in the crowd could have taken the guy out before 14 lost their lives and more injured. Yep, I'm a gun rights wacko. :))

*nods, i'm in agreement! you are a wacko, as well as the poster (msg #18) above you

@msg #16; take the time to read msg #13 .. the contraindications are very concerning
 Notricksters
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 2:35:44 PM
This was a horrible tragedy! Lets hope they can find out the reason "why did he do it". We, here in Iowa also have a tragedy in Evansdale, Iowa... 2 young girls, ages 8 & 10 have been missing for a week. A lake was drained thinking they may have drowned...their bikes were found near the lake. After no results, it has been ruled an abduction.
What a horrible week it has been, let us all hope that's it!
 mungojoe
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/20/2012 2:38:43 PM

I have spend much of this day discussing this topic with others IRL....

Which thread are our "discussions with others IRL" posted in...? Link me to it so that I can see your compassion being posted first...

In the absence of that... I'm going to go with what your VERY FIRST POST on the topic shows me...
 OyVay...
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/20/2012 2:44:20 PM
Sorry, you people don't get it..in fact you never will.

A hobbyist, which is what most gun owners are, lack any sense of training, in regards to a situation like this. He11 even professionals such as bodyguards, police and military personnel, have difficulty reacting under the stress of a combat situation, and that is exactly what this was!

Add to that the confusion of people running, a dark theater, a gas grenade you have a recipe for disaster!

Remember professionals only take shots, when they know the outcome BEFORE they pull the trigger...even then we have many incidents like Tillman who was killed by friendly fire, or the guy in Brooklyn who was shot to death reaching for his wallet, or any number of other incidents. That you would allude to someone...anyone being armed in a theater, then trying to engage this wacko, with a gun only shows how deluded you gun owners REALLY are.

All you dirty harrys and harriets who watch too much TV, and think because you do some target shooting, you can easily aim and fire your weapon effectively at what is NOT a stationary target, but a moving one, who well might start shooting back at you, is absurd!

Like I have always maintained, I have no problem with people keeping their guns. I DO have a problem with extensive magazines with 30 shot clips, or assualt weapons that fire automatically. I DO have a problem with NO restrictions on purchases, or poor background checks.

Then again, you folks think everyone should be armed. Guess we don't have enough killing in this country...
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/20/2012 2:46:24 PM

And HOW will the NRA spin this one?

Just like most people would expect them to:

The NRA & A Right Wing Congressman Waste No Time Embarrassing Themselves Over Theater 9 Shooting
Written by The Cajun Boy

...Yes, jackasses are already beginning to emerge in the wake of the Theater 9 shooting. Can’t people wait at least 24 hours post-tragedy to show their asses? Let us all at least have time to process the terrible images trickling onto the web first. Seriously, is that too much to ask?

Take, for instance, whoever runs the Twitter account for the NRA’s official magazine, American Rifleman… ( http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Picture-35.png )

And then there’s Rep. Louie Gohmert, the staggering dipshit best known for getting absolutely pwned by Anderson Cooper over his insane “terror babies” conspiracy theory. The first paragraph of this story on his impossibly dumb remarks today reads like the lede of an Onion story.

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday that the shootings that took place in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater hours earlier were a result of “ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs” and questioned why nobody else in the theater had a gun to take down the shooter.

Yes, Gohmert actually said this: “It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?” In other words, a sitting member of Congress found fault in the victims of the attack and apparently fantasizes about a 21st century America that more resembles the days of the Wild West than it does a modern, evolved society.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to live in a country where I need to be packing in self-defense when I go to the movies.

(UPDATE: The NRA issued a statement this afternoon saying that the person in charge of the American Rifleman Twitter account was ignorant of the Theater 9 slayings when he or she composed the tweet above. The irony of it all, however, remains noteworthy.)

Read more: http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/2012/07/the-nra-a-right-wing-congressman-waste-no-time-embarrassing-themselves-over-theater-9-shooting/#ixzz21CYndTED
 Rythmn
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 3:10:18 PM
a neuroscience doctoral student who apparently was leaving his studies. drugs? psychopathy that led him to his major? spec scan his brain and i am sure something is missing or awry. whatever. we will see. good thing there is victim witness $$ for those who don't have health insurance. sad, this has to happen to get medical treatment.

could hot help but just cry out of frustration/empathy for everyone involved. aside from the blood and gore, what really shook me was the girl who ducked and now carries the horror and guilt about those behind her who got the bullet. kind of like the truck driver here in my town who plowed into a suicide victim or the train engineer who quit work and had to go on disablity with severe post trauma having hit another suicide victim.

homicide and suicide and just protecting oneself or fleeing while stepping over bodies, are all things that will haunt for the rest of people's lives. some are heroes and try to help, some die doing it, most are not able.

i pity the mom as well, under assumption which will be proved (or not) that this person was not an abused basket case grown up. even if innocent, she will be blamed. is there mental health services for a mom with a child like that? very limited. law says innocent until you do something like this.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 3:32:12 PM
It's really time that people got some spine with the NRA and start working on some common sense gun controls. This guy shot 71 people with *legally purchased* guns. What is the NRA's answer? That more people should have guns? WTF.
Deregulation hasn't worked in the market, and it's not working with gun control, either.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/20/2012 3:43:16 PM
It's unfortunate that this sort of thing has to become a discussion of gun control versus the merits of arming everyone.

These kinds of incidents can even happen in Norway, which has very strong gun control. As for more guns being the answer: it isn't a paucity of guns which causes America to have the worst record in the first world in gun violence. More would make it worse.
 matchlight
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 3:44:00 PM
luv the way the gun nuts say if someone was armed they could have stopped this.

Once again, name-calling. Instead of covering up the weakness of your arguments, it highlights it.

how many more have to die before we do something? This isn't the freakin 19th century!

This isn't a dictatorship, either--at least not yet. If you want to work to repeal the Second Amendment, no one is stopping you. Until then, it is the law, and no one gets to ignore it. You still haven't explained what basis there would have been for prohibiting Holmes from having guns.

So then, your happy about all the people around the country being shot?

There is good evidence that guns save more lives than they take in this country by deterring and disabling criminals. So then, are you happy about all the people around the country being shot because of laws which restrict the right to carry guns?

Yes, jackasses are already beginning to emerge in the wake of the Theater 9 shooting.

And you saw fit to quote drivel from one of them.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Mass Shooting at Colo. Movie Theater, 12 People Dead[CLOSED ]