Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Quinoa Muffins (Best protein muffins)!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HannahChamp
Msg: 1
Quinoa Muffins (Best protein muffins)!Page 1 of 1    
So I'll share a few recipes of my favorite quinoa muffins. Quinoa is a super grain, it packs 18% protein and a good source of fiber, iron, calcium, phosphorus and it goes on an on. You can do a lot with the grain but my favorite thing to do is make these muffins and then grab one right before a workout or even after!

These are the simplest, healthiest tasting ones:
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/4 cup vegetable oil, such as safflower, plus more for pan
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
3/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and 1 cup water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover, and cook until water has been absorbed and quinoa is tender, 11 to 13 minutes.
Meanwhile, brush a standard 12-cup muffin pan with oil; dust with flour, tapping out excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, raisins, and 2 cups cooked quinoa; reserve any leftover quinoa for another use.
In a small bowl, whisk together oil, milk, egg, and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, and stir just until combined; divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
Bake until toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool muffins in pan, 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

These were my favorite!

Strawberry-Banana Quinoa Muffins (makes 12 muffins; total cost per muffin: $0.30)
Ingredients
1 1/3 c quinoa flour (whole wheat or all purpose is fine if you don’t have access to quinoa flour)
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 T melted butter
1 t vanilla extract
2 medium overripe bananas, mashed
1 c cooked quinoa
1 c finely chopped fresh strawberries
1-2 strawberries, thinly sliced (optional for garnish)
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Prepare a muffin or cupcake tin with cooking spray or muffin liners. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt, and set aside. In a separate, larger bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, eggs & vanilla and whisk until smooth. Mix in the dry flour mixture a couple tablespoons at a time, stirring together until completely incorporated.
2. When all the flour has been mixed in, add the mashed bananas and the quinoa, and mix well. Add the chopped strawberries (juice & all!) and fold into the muffin batter. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Place one strawberry slice on top of each muffin, and bake for about 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
3. Remove from oven and cool for a couple of minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes, or until ready to serve. Serve for brunch or take some with you to for a quick weekday breakfast, and enjoy!

And last but not least...
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Quinoa Muffins!

1 ¼ cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
¾ cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
¾ cup Quinoa (cooked and drained)
2 Eggs
¾ cup Unsweetened Canned Pumpkin
½ cup Buttermilk
¼ cup Safflower Oil (or melted butter)
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
½ cup Chocolate Chips
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375°. Oil or line a 12-cup muffin tin or 24-cup mini muffin tin.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Add the quinoa, separating the grains with a fork to distribute evenly.

In another bowl, beat the eggs, then add the pumpkin, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.

Gradually stir into the dry ingredients, just until incorporated.

Fold in the chocolate chips.

Spoon the batter into muffin tins.

For regular sized muffins, bake for 30 minutes, or until muffins are browned around the edges and a tester comes out clean. Cook the mini-muffins about 15 minutes.

Let the muffins rest for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 2
Quinoa Muffins (Best protein muffins)!
Posted: 7/21/2012 8:25:08 AM
I can't message you to ask, but where can you get quinoa flower in the Twin Cities? I looked at Mississippi Market recently and didn't find it; maybe I missed it?

Recipes sound good, thanks for sharing.
 cathybait
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/21/2012 1:05:31 PM
specifictruths-you can just make your own quinoa flower just put it in a magic bullet or any other grinder and blend until it is fine like flower that's all it is same as oat flour, almond flour etc...........
 Belle Requin
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/21/2012 1:33:30 PM
Where do you get 18% protein from? Most sites seem to peg it at about 12-14%. So in your first recipe, with about 24g of protein in your cup of quinoa, that's 2g of protein per muffin (miniscule bit more from one egg and the milk). That's not much. However, you'll have about 37 carbs from the quinoa, sugar, and flour- not even including the raisins. 18 times more carbs than protein. I wouldn't call it a 'protein muffin' in those circumstances.

You get more protein and more fiber from using a cup of almond flour. When I make 'muffins' they're a little more like biscuits. Egg white, protein powder, coconut flour, and almond flour with some baking powder, butter and either a little xylitol or salt, depending on what I want them to go with. That is a protein muffin.
 Tgav4367
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/21/2012 3:08:51 PM
I love Quinoa! Not sure about the protein claim but definitely a supergrain.

Just a tip, make sure you rinse the quinoa very well or else you'll end up with some bitter tasting muffins.

Also, quinoa sprouts really fast and if you use the sprouts it packs even more of a health punch. I mix quinoa sprouts in when I make multigrain breads. Yummmmmmmmmmmers.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2012 5:52:46 PM
There's a distinct possibility that quinoa raised with commercial fertilizer will have a higher protein content than organically raised quinoa. I recall a neighbor who was trying to get his organic speltz to meet his buyers demand for higher protein ..and he couldn't quite get it high enough without adding some commercial nitrogen to his soil. So possibly, both of you are right on the protein content of your quinoa...one may be commercially fertilized..and the other organically....
 ASHURDJ
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2012 10:47:20 AM
I put my quinoa in a magic bullet works fine....
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Quinoa Muffins (Best protein muffins)!