Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Money Investing Suggestions Wanted      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bezoa
Msg: 2
Money Investing Suggestions WantedPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I dunno, but water makes good coffee.
 raxarsr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Money Investing Suggestions Wanted
Posted: 7/20/2012 11:20:18 PM
you cant get much safer than cd's at your local bank,,,,,,,,the return isnt as high...but its safe

walmart stocks also seem pretty safe

but to be honest..the way the cost of ammo keeps going up....investing in .223 is as sound as it gets
 want to travel
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2012 9:39:09 AM
well, lets see ,the euro is falling apart, property is not safe, asia has gone stale,the great american banks are up to their old tricks, and the federal regulators are getting everyone ready for the next bail out
(in the last few weeks, all the big banks and investment companies, are letting people know that they need capitol,and that they have yet again lost a huge amount on ,bad investments)
ummm
do you have a matress
 want to travel
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2012 9:48:16 AM
lol
who can afford gold!!!
 normaldude
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2012 9:59:31 AM
online banks like ALLY and ING could give you a bit more than most places for straight secure interest.
Mutual funds just seem to go up and down and get nowhere. Gold has already gone up and appears to be stalled. Maybe silver?
 Javan2
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/26/2012 8:56:02 PM
I think this is a great idea for a posting ! I believe that becoming an investor is a sure sign that you're finally thinking fully as an adult. This was true for me, anyway. I tried getting a post like this going myself. To answer your question; some people aren't comfortable investing in individual stocks, so they'll just invest in the S & P or the Nasdaq as a whole. There might be a way to invest in the over all Small Cap market which might provide for you a better return over time.

In reading many of the post by others on here, it seems that many don't have a great deal of faith in the markets. Given many of the shananagans going on in the markets lately, it's understandable.

I do like investing in individual stocks myself. Back in late June I posted a suggestion on (CUI) and (SAPX) from then to now they were up 140%. Investing is a risk, but the riskier the greater the potential reward. The latest two stocks that have really captured my attention are (CUI) and (GV). I'd love to get some other thoughts on these from some other investors who might see this post.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 10:37:27 PM
The best investment advice I can give you, is to not take investment advice from random people on the internet.
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/27/2012 4:15:57 AM
This is a very cool post with a very cool premise. Self determination. Individual stocks scare me , as my track record is not very good. However, the current economy gives several opportunities. Buying foreclosures seems to yield the highest return. Houses in this area can be flipped for about 20% mark up. Good profit if you can avoid the tax man. Rentals have become , sometimes, more profitable than flipping. Once again, tax avoidance , proper use of write offs can yield a decent income. On the flip side , every time a home is sold, three jobs are created. Just think, land speculation has inspired more new jobs than the current administration.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/27/2012 9:37:30 AM
Bank CDs are a way to safely lose money over the long term, as they never keep up with inflation unless you are using a laddering strategy and they make up only a relatively small percentage of your total portfolio.
 Javan2
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/27/2012 11:20:43 AM
This is absolutely correct : " The best investment advice I can give you, is to not take investment advice from random people on the internet. "

I would do a self check to do due diligence (d.d.) on my own about a particular issue. I use www.finviz.com to do my checks on stocks that I like. But also someone could give you great advice on the internet about a stock but if you misinterpret the play, you may end up buying or selling at the wrong time and end up losing. For example; I might say to you that I have my eye on (PEIX) stock. There is a lot of promise in purchasing these shares, but not currently at these prices. I believe that these shares are falling and will at sometime in the future the share price will get much lower, but not today. So, while I might have these shares on my watch list, it isn't a signal that these should be bought now. Perhaps, shorted; but not even this is a recommendation. Be quick to do your own research and slow to take action.

I myself would wecome the opinions of others who are value investors. Not that I would buy on the recommendations of others, but I certainly would do my own d.d., to check out on my own about the stocks that they like.

Per your earlier question, Check out the Russell Small Cap Index !
 Javan2
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/27/2012 1:06:30 PM
Check Out this portion of a full article written by Gutone !

Why does insider buying matter for small companies? It matters because small companies often have no analysts following them. This means choosing the right micro-cap (market cap < $300 million) can be very profitable. In fact, the Russell 2000 index has outperformed the S&P 500 significantly over the past ten years, with the Russell 2000 index returning 66% vs. 25% for the S&P 500.

Choosing the right small companies to invest in can be daunting, so where should you start? Insiders, especially executives and directors of small companies tend to know their company very well. Tracking their stock purchase activities is a very good point to start for lucrative returns.

"If you hate individually investing in stocks, Think About buying the Russell 2000 Index. Ten Years was your time horizon wasn't it ?"
 Javan2
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/28/2012 8:54:38 AM
Why I wanted to post on this thread ? What I'm most interested in is testing the quality of my screening process and the quality of my screens. For Example these are some of the stocks that I think are worthy of additional research. Please anyone, tell me if you agree.

My Picks Are: (EGHT); (GORO); (TPL); (VRTS); (CEMI); (NSU); (FHCO); (PSE); (QCOR); (STMP); (ASPS); (CJES); (BIDU); (ACUR); (VRNM); (FRAN); (FLL).

Most of these have little to no Debt, Strong R.O.A. 15 or above and quarter to quarter breakouts to the good and not too bad R.S.I.. Please, if you think there is a problem with these, let me know.
 OnlineFishBowl
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/31/2012 3:14:11 AM

lol who can afford gold!!!

better question - can you afford not to?

the US fiat money system is backed by nothing but t-bills which itself is just more debt. it's going to give out eventually so gold is your best option to hold the value of your wealth. as the dollar depreciates due to economic failure & lack of interest due to the debt, a dollar's worth is going to decline rapidly where as gold will take off. not that it's instantly worth more, just that the dollar is a worthless piece of paper against it. still, have money hidden somewhere for you have access to. mostly small bills as money will still be used for the time being until the gold standard takes back over again.

there's other options besides gold. you're best potential for return on money invested is silver if you're patient or other precious metals like platinum & palladium. or invest in property to grow your own food including seeds, equipment, fertilizer & other supplies that will last 2-5 years. i've heard Peter Schiff mention he'd rather own the energy companies supplying power to the business (like a mine) than own the business instead.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2012 7:08:25 AM
I've had more returns and more fun in the last year buying art. When the economy sucks people tend to dump their treasures at a fraction of their value. And still there is always a market for valuable stuff. If you want a hands on hobby and are interested in something...cars, antiques, art, etc, then this is by far the most interesting and potentially lucrative thing you could do. And your risk is that you can't resell something and you're stuck with a beautiful thing. Oh well. Be aware of auction prices for stuff and then go searching. Kijiji et al is a good place to start.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2012 1:42:43 PM
OMGWTF

I've had more returns and more fun in the last year buying art. When the economy sucks people tend to dump their treasures at a fraction of their value. And still there is always a market for valuable stuff. If you want a hands on hobby and are interested in something...cars, antiques, art, etc, then this is by far the most interesting and potentially lucrative thing you could do. And your risk is that you can't resell something and you're stuck with a beautiful thing. Oh well. Be aware of auction prices for stuff and then go searching. Kijiji et al is a good place to start.

Yes, I do this with guitars. I usually have 35 to 40 of the beasts. I bottom fed off Kjiji (Canadian equivalent of Craigslist). People go out and buy a new guitar for $500 to $2000.... never learn to play or need money and post them for sale for 'whatever'. I offer 'x' cash now and pick up some good deals. I'll also trade guitars and related equipment. I'll repost them...no rush to sell so I get to play them in the meantime... then with a month's patience or so they usually resell at about 20% above what I pay. We're not talking big money but it's fun and I like like the challenge of building up my own collection at no real cost.

The key is to know your hobby and know what there is market for if you're patient. This is a really good time to pick up guitars...students and parents are needing money for school.
 Javan2
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/1/2012 5:31:37 PM
" The key is to know your hobby and know what there is market for if you're patient. This is a really good time to pick up guitars...students and parents are needing money for school. "

This is funny because someone suggested that I do this with mini-bikes, especially in the fall before christmas. Drop shipping from a mini-bike manufacturer out of China. I could make money without ever having to see one single mini-bike.
 Javan2
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/2/2012 6:15:46 AM
Well, so far, the words writen on this thread are worth $21,200.00 dollars. Let's continue to add even greater value here, shall we ? I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm all for it ! Very nicely done, mrgoodmanUK !
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2012 10:37:35 AM

" The key is to know your hobby and know what there is market for if you're patient. This is a really good time to pick up guitars...students and parents are needing money for school. "

This is funny because someone suggested that I do this with mini-bikes, especially in the fall before christmas. Drop shipping from a mini-bike manufacturer out of China. I could make money without ever having to see one single mini-bike.

I know a guy who does this with microscopes and a few other science items. Not all, but some folks are reluctant to buy from a China-based seller but will pay 15% more (or whatever) from a seller based in their own country. Plus, the Chinese sellers on Ebay are usually eager to deal with you directly at a lower cost to you. so you get something for 10% less than the Chinese Ebay price...add 15% for selling locally and you end up with 25% profit. Of course YOU have the risk,returns, etc. But if you get stuck with an item and you live in a larger city , you can probsbly sell it locally for cost.

Another example...in our area canoes and kayaks are a big thing. If you have a place in your property to store them, one can put in local ads in the fall, winter to buy them and then resell them in the spring. i've never done this but I thought of doing it after I bought a used canoe ($125) one Fall for a week long trip. It was cheaper than renting one. I sold it the next spring for about double what I paid.
 soicat
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/3/2012 9:56:32 AM
Buying websites can be profitable. I own several. They take some work to maintain, so they're not really a passive investment, although you can neglect them for a long time and keep getting cheques.

I agree with Cowboy on gold in the mattress. A close alternative is Canada's Central Fund. They store physical gold and silver in bank vaults in Calgary.

For gamblers, options on GLD and SLV are very liquid with a narrow spread between bid and ask. And don't forget the miners - they're trading at historically low valuations compared to PM prices.

I'd be cautious about getting into real estate unless you can get a good rental return on it.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/3/2012 6:44:49 PM
lendingclub.com
 Bishopboat
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/3/2012 7:52:30 PM
You want something to grow 5% a year that you can get rid of quickly? Buy guns dude... Most of my guns increase in value well over 10% a year... Good investment in todays world.
 soicat
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/3/2012 8:41:43 PM

You want something to grow 5% a year that you can get rid of quickly? Buy guns dude... Most of my guns increase in value well over 10% a year... Good investment in todays world.

What about ammo? Doesn't that keep for ages? It could go up in value quickly in a variety of scenarios.
 Javan2
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/4/2012 3:16:53 PM
Ok, this wasn't even on my orginal list but I did sell my (TGS) to purchase some (DRRX). Because again this company has zero debt, and seems to be a very effectively run company, nice return on assets, and a very strong EPS Q/Q upside.

Per Mary Buffett: In her book she states, " Companies with an ROA of 12% are averagely run businesses, but if a business has a 15% ROA, usually these are companies that have very little to zero debt". On www.finviz.com I set my screener to cross reference all of the price ratios, ROA, Dividends, EPS Q/Q positive surprises (Strong Outperforms), Price, 52 week high and low, and RSI (below 30% signals support level and Above 70% signals Resistance Level) . Support Level= Over Sold=Underbought=Low.
Resistance Level = Overbought= Undersold= High. In addition to these favorables I absolutely, love, love, love,love a very low price on the share price itself (Low as in discounted in value and in actual price).
 Padawan61
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2012 5:59:07 PM
You're right. CD return currently is 1% for five years, but that's below the rate of inflation

Yeah, my collection of CDs hasn't increased in value at all ... except maybe as shiny circular coasters.
 billingsmason
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/5/2012 10:09:35 PM
invest in knowledge
about investing perhaps

my goal is to create enough passive income to cover my expenses... including fun
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Money Investing Suggestions Wanted