Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Clip in extensions on middle aged women?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 1
Clip in extensions on middle aged women?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I've always wanted longer hair, but had never gotten it past my shoulders w/o the ends looking frizzy...so I recently got some high-end, human hair clip in extensions. A man that I date got excited about it, said it was his Stevie Nicks fantasy, & I enjoy the flexibility of having style options now w/ my hair...but MOST women 45+ do not have LONG LONG hair...are clip ins silly on an older woman? Or are they OK if they are good quality & look real? Where should a middle aged woman draw the line on hair length?
 DrummingNut
Msg: 2
Clip in extensions on middle aged women?
Posted: 7/22/2012 8:45:26 AM
My "line drawn" (for me) on hair length is where ever it grows down to!
Other women.. I really don't care one bit what they do with their hair. No matter their age.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:04:31 AM

I don't think you want to have sex with someone and end up with your hair extensions all over the place.
Hey, it's worth it to get extensions on the floor if... ;0P
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:30:39 AM
^^^meh! I think I take it to the other extreme & have had people tell me I should dress/groom myself more my age :oD
 Pinky127
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:30:47 AM
Op,i must admit id noticed your 'new' hair and i actually think you look so much better with it shoulder length.

Ive also shoulder length hair,very thick...........but,hey,i guess its nice for a change!
 MayorMcDubstep
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:44:33 AM
You look great. Females continually cut their hair shorter every decade. I've always interpreted this as laziness over time and they always have a reason and it's all bs, mostly.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:53:32 AM
TY I luv the ease of the extensions- they clip in -in 5 mins, I can style them while off my head in a fraction of the time it takes to curl my real hair...i actually just ordered a 2nd set & bought different curling irons, etc
 Walts
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:54:16 AM
Good question!!! I was just thinking about getting extensions myself. That way I can do a comb over and get rid of that unsightly bald head that I have been growing for the last 50 years.

Do what ya want to your body,for whatever reason you can think of. That's why they call it YOUR body.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/22/2012 10:03:39 AM
^^^aha! is that a way of telling me I am too "foo-foo"???
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/22/2012 10:06:47 AM
A woman should work with her natural hair type. If her hair is relatively thick, I think she can get away with longer hair---however if it's thin and whispy, she should aim for a shoulder-length style, or a little shorter. My hair is naturally curly and has a lot of body.

I personally wouldn't use extensions---I've found they are not practical for swimming, boating, and other outdoor sports where the hair might get whipped around. Ditto for sex.
 Miss W
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/22/2012 10:36:16 AM
Years ago, I went to cosmetology school and one of the instructors used to say it isn't how long you wear your hair, its how you wear your hair long.

I have a pact with my 28 year old hairdresser where she will tell me when I start to look ridiculous and we will go for another look. Whatever works for you. Over 45 isn't what it used to be. Watch out world!
 vestaceres
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/22/2012 10:37:50 AM
OP: wear what you think looks flattering on you, the nay-sayers be damned. If you enjoynwearing them, go and enjoy!

I personally don't select extensions as much as I love long hair. I have beautiful, thick hair that I do care for without damaging it with excessive products, apart from the coconut oil overnight treatment I use once a week. I am afraid extensions would damage my hair. And, to be honest, I don't think it would enhance my look - my length at is is quite sufficient.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2012 11:39:01 AM
I agree with others who say not to be limited by age and I do think the extensions look very good on you from the pics.

I, myself keep my hair past shoulder length. I get compliments on my hair, And I don't worry in the least about preceonceived notions SOME may have for what is "proper" for a particular age.

However, I did have one experience where I had an auto accident, and had to have some of my hair shaved around some stitches. I sewed in an extension track so that the bald spot wouldn't show -- Just temporarily until my hair grew back completely.

Men I would meet told me how great my hair looked and really found it beatiful -- until they found out part of my hair was fake. Then the nagging would start. "You would look so much better and more natural without it", they would moan.

Yeah right!!! I would look "better and more natural with a huge bald spot!!!

Always the same verbage, too -- "better and more natural looking". And always this from the same man that thought my hair looked great 5 minutes ago!

So, yep! A lot of men do have issues with fake hair (for any reason).
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/22/2012 11:49:58 AM
My real hair is all the pics but the most recent & it is shoulder length. But I saw the clip ins on tutorials on youtube & was amazed at how easily they went in & all the options it gives you. I only wore them out 2x in a month, and did get compliments on my "hair"...i plan on using them on a cruise, I can curl them while off my head & then clip in & look like I went to a salon (for formal nites) when I really did it myself. I just wonder tho, cuz I see few 45+ women w/ longer hair...
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/22/2012 12:28:20 PM
The old line ...

You always want what you can't have.

If you're hair is curly ... you want straight.
If your hair is straight ... you want curly.

Isn't that right?

I agree with the posters who said, be happy and work with what you have.
Style your hair to what suits it best.
That would make you far more attractive.
Go to a stylist who can show you the options
And then choose from there.

My hair is thick and has no problem growing.
But I keep it shoulder length or a little longer, as I feel it looks more professional.

I don't want to compete with what the latest fad is.
And I notice that hair styles seem to be what we had in the 70's.
Long and straight.
Forget that.
I'm not a teenager, I'm a woman.
 sk1960
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/22/2012 12:37:53 PM
These days a lot of things are "enhanced". How many women get their nails done ... gel, acrylic .... Some get eyelash extensions, color their hair, wear undergarments to make you look slim, get veneers on their teeth (or completely new teeth) ... so really who cares if you put extensions in your hair --- but don't be surprised when it falls out, falls off, goes gray or pops out ..... Sigh - it is after all not real ....

ps. to the guys out there .... yes I thought of that too when I typed "enhanced" .... lol .....
 Tra_leannan
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/22/2012 12:52:16 PM

Where should a middle aged woman draw the line on hair length?
Long hair, short hair, bangs, no bangs, colored, natural...whatever I feel like is where my line is. I'm basically non fussy...so my hair grows until it gets frizzy and hard to wash and then I'll run in for a trim and shape up. Sometimes I'm a red head, sometimes I straighten it, but usually, just long and wavier by the day, the more the gray comes in. I'm just gonna keep enjoying each day and add to the laugh lines on my face...lines....lines....lines...crossed so many of them...
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/22/2012 1:10:29 PM
Do whatever makes YOU feel good.

My hair is really thick and really wavy. Until about 3 years ago, it was long, about mid-way down my back or longer. I tend to straighten it these days because I prefer it that way otherwise it's prone to being BIG - think the era of shoulder pads and big hair and you get the idea !
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2012 1:27:49 PM
Angel --

Since that is your real hair in the pics, I think it looks VERY nice and long enough just as it is. However, if you want to have a little fun, and try longer hair occasionally -- why not?

The idea of taking it on a cruise is a very good one. It would really come in handy and save a lot of time after beach or snorkeling on shore days.

I have a little "shelf hair" myself (Dancing with the Stars up-dos) for emergencies. My S/O didn't approve at first. But when he saw how much faster I could dress up for a night out -- after swimming -- he was all in.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/22/2012 1:52:29 PM

I was just thinking about getting extensions myself. That way I can do a comb over and get rid of that unsightly bald head that I have been growing for the last 50 years.

Walts, you do know that a lot of us wimmins think bald dudes are smokin' hawt...dont'cha???

Blonde, your hair looks good - keep doing it if gets you the compliments and makes YOU feel good about yourself!
 Janet_Always
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/22/2012 1:53:46 PM

OP: I've always wanted longer hair...

that's all that matters, as far as I'm concerned.

No reason to hold back because of what other people might think.
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/22/2012 2:02:51 PM
You are asking two questions:

Where should a middle aged woman draw the line on hair length?

Nobody's business but her own, IMO. Plenty of cultures do not change the "rules" for hair length as a woman ages. Who decides this crap? My hair is almost to my waist. I need a 3-4 inch trim, which I get twice a year.

are clip ins silly on an older woman?

Again, why should someone care what others think is "silly?" I prefer the "real deal," but if a woman has trouble growing her hair for a variety of reasons, let her do what she likes. We tend to be compassionate toward those who have suffered hair loss through chemo, burns, lupus, etc. and think they should be "allowed" to wear fake hair, but anyone else is just vain. Even if they are vain, who cares?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/22/2012 3:48:38 PM
I'm just under 45, and my hair is shoulder length - but I use the same type of hair extensions myself depending on what's going on. These days extensions aren't something you have to hide like you did in the past - most people I'm close to know I do it to add volume, length, etc on certain days. The bf knows I do, and could care less. I take em right out before we head to bed - then again he thinks I am attractive first thing in the morning - which of course isn't the case, so he's obviously able to deal with me at my worst.

I say if you want to use them, go right ahead...I don't think most people will care - and they shouldn't.
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/22/2012 5:27:30 PM
I luv the ease of the extensions- they clip in -in 5 mins, I can style them while off my head in a fraction of the time it takes to curl my real hair...i actually just ordered a 2nd set & bought different curling irons, etc

Blonde angel
You are very beautiful, and if you enjoy wearing extensions so by all means wear them.
 missmermaid4u
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/22/2012 6:20:25 PM
yes..no ageism here..for any reason..cosmetics..hair extensions..our choice..our right..? omg..we're lovin it..I wouldn't want the clip ons personally..but I can see the versatility in it..some ppl use their own hair ..whatever..age is not a factor..discrimination is..since when is age a needed motive to modify fashion, make up and wardrobe? It isn't..we are very versatile..at any age..and in this I mean we are rich in diversity..and that what makes hair extensions sing the words..no limits..to each his/her own
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Clip in extensions on middle aged women?