Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Ever had a partner with a phobia?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AnAustralianWoman
Msg: 1
Ever had a partner with a phobia?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Sitting here and watching a spider crawling up the wall right next to me got me thinking....
I remember my ex fiance (Had a build like a brick shit house). He was reading the newspaper (So this was a long time ago) when a teeny weeny spider walked across his newspaper. He jumped up from his chair and it fell over.
I catch spiders and put them outside he could not even go near them to spray them.
So I ask you have you ever been with a person who has a phobia?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Ever had a partner with a phobia?
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:19:41 AM
I haven't run into any of what I would call phobias with dates or GFs, just one neighbor who was phobic about cats.

I'm only posting to find out, why in the world would anyone want to sleep with a guy who looks like a large exterior men's room facility, even one made of nice red Virginia brick?
 vestaceres
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:42:33 AM
I'm scared of riding the local train (and if you've ever ridden on the Red Line at the MBTA - you'd understand). On the other hand, I'm not scared to travel as a passenger in a plane for fifteen hours.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2012 11:43:23 AM
What some people don't get is that there is a huge difference between fear, not liking and phobia, the latter produces the type of visceral reaction described by cowboy, the person basically has a panic attack if confronted with that fear. Much of the key is the irrational nature of the fear. I'm afraid of heights, I don't know if it qualifies as a full phobia because I wouldn't be able to climb stairs, sit in bleachers, etc. but I am definitely completely uncomfortable on a ferris wheel, etc.

I am slightly claustrophobic, I don't like feeling hemmed in to the extent that I try to avoid it by sitting on the aisle at a movie theater, etc. but I don't have a problem getting into elevators, etc.

My daughter has a couple of phobias, she goes absolutely bat shit crazy when confronted with the phobic items.
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/22/2012 8:29:15 PM
In The Past I dated a few women that had serious cases of coulrophobia, fear of clowns...

Myself, I suffer from pediophobia a fear of dolls, but more so mannequins...
 Vannili
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:30:25 PM
Msg.1:

Yes and he was a toughguy( gang menber) mexican young man,he was my co worker ....
Yeah, it has something to do with spider too. When I was a little girl as a tomboy, I play with spiders
sport with boys ,we put the spiders into a long stick and have them fight, who'll be drop on the ground is the
loser.Our fighter we keep it in a match box and our moms would be so angry that there is no match stick in the box but a big spider..... so I show this young man that the spider won't hurt him that I let it crawl in my hand and arm he was insanely scared,lol.
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:32:20 PM
When I was younger, I was told I had a phobia, because I am terrified of needles. After my son was born, I decided that I should get some therapy for it. I spent a year working with a psychiatrist who does hypnotherapy & specializes in phobias. It was very helpful, as now I can be in the same room with a needle, without running out in a blink panic. I even got some blookwork done in 1990, with a sedative.

I don't have much trouble anymore, because of the development of a wonderful topical anesthetic called EMLA. You put it on covered with a plastic bandage for an hour, & voila! Y ou don't feel a thing! That's when i discovered that it was NEVER psychological in the first place, at least not initially. A lot of people with fibromyaglia are extremely sensitive, to certain types of pain. And many have very sesnsitive skin, as I do. I have experienced many different types of pain in my life, a broken ankle, a broken collarbone, even childbirth. Given a choice, I would probably chose any of these, over needles. Well, maybe childbirth would be a tie, I am not sure. Not an option at my age, anyway. LOL.

Not sure if this counts, but I thought I would throw my 2cents worth in, anyway.
 mrjon32
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2012 10:15:18 PM

I can't sleep with my body out from under a blanket or hanging over the edge of a bed/couch etc. It could be 40C and I will still sleep under a comforter. It just freaks me out thinking about what could get me if I'm not cocooned, even though realistically I know Jaws is NOT under my bed. XD

That is slightly adorable :P

When I was little I used to think Jaws lived in my closet, lol.
 jojoaus
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2012 2:05:55 AM
My (Australian) guy was in NY on 9/11. Even though it did not have a personal impact in that he knew no-one who was killed or injured, he told me he developed claustrophobia from the whole experience. He had hypnotherapy and it was some time before he could use an elevator again. He is still a little leery of them. Oddly enough, my ex (a Kiwi) was also in NY on that day, with his entire family. They did not want to fly again after that at ALL.

I am an arachnophobe- last time I found a smallish spider in our home I 'yelped like a chihuaha' according to my SO. He was right :/ I am also claustrophobic and am developing an intense dislike for heights as I age.... On the up side I love lizards and snakes so am not a total wimp :D
 AnAustralianWoman
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/23/2012 7:57:59 AM

I dated one chick who always had to have a bottled water on her night stand before going to bed
.....So do I. I have been told that I sleep with my mouth open and that probably explains why my mouth get's dry during the night. I guzzle the stuff!!!
I don't see it as a phobia....just a habit.
 AnAustralianWoman
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/23/2012 8:06:36 AM
QueenSaru...This is one of my own phobia's....I NEVER allow my foot or arm dangle off the bed...We all know there is a creature UNDER the bed that comes out at night and grabs you.
It's strange because I spoke to a 92 year old woman today who said she never allows her body parts to dangle off the bed because of THAT thing under the bed!!!
 lovefun99
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/23/2012 8:30:50 AM
My x-wife had Gephyrophobia, which is the fear of bridges, she would drive 100 miles out of her way to avoid them. When she was about 8 months pregnant we got stuck on the top of the Buckman bride in Jacksonville, she panicked so bad that she went into false labor....
Posted: 7/25/2012 6:33:16 PM
PetyGrace80, congrats on the tatoo! I tried that, but chickened out twice. Just couldn't do it.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Ever had a partner with a phobia?