Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Wanting Christian Grey.....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Chuzz16
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Wanting Christian Grey.....Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I haven't read the book yet, but like you, I have heard so much about it. He doesn't seem like my kind of guy.
I will have to read it I guess, just so I can form a proper opinion.
 Chuzz16
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Wanting Christian Grey.....
Posted: 7/24/2012 7:55:30 AM
I seriously doubt any modern woman would agree to it.

Msg 10.
I was thinking of Lady Chatterley's Lover, but give me Mr. Darcy anytime. (I'm not keen on muddy hands). :)
 Tillybud1
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2012 10:29:33 AM
I havent read it nor do I have any inclination to read it either ...

But I think the tides are turning from what a woman wants from a man ( or maybe they have always been this way ? )... from what I understand from my frinds that have read it, forgetting about his personal issues for a moment. Most women I know still would like a manly man who in charge without being a bully... a cross between John Wayne , Rhett Butler and Bruce Willis fighting for his woman in Die hard , ....oh and ending with the scene from Yanks where Richard Gere strides into her workplace and carries her off into the sunset ....

Swoon.... yep a manly man that is in control but not a control freak

The thing is he only exists in the mind of most women.............Houston I think we have a problem !
 monty336
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2012 11:13:21 AM
ive read the book i find it repeats itself sex at ever opportunity, there are loads of books on top shelf at motor service stations based on fetish type sex and practice, i think fifty shades just got into main stream media and got accepted, no doubt in a few months car boots and charity shops will have loads on sale, after the hype dies down. also i note a lot comment and not read it
 Tillybud1
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2012 3:31:57 PM
I totally agree ^^^ But

" Jeez. Why don't they get a life and try something different with their partner."

Some of us has to find a Partner first ;)
 badge73
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2012 8:29:18 AM

Seriously confused as to why anyone would want a man that does what he does in the book.

have noticed a few profiles relating to this book or character and .... just totally ignored the person as lets be honest if they get all fascinated over someone who dont exist ..... those who cannot tell the difference between fiction and non fiction are either very stupid or has need of a doctor ... in some cases both!!
 joanne85
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2012 1:09:52 PM
I have read all three books and must admit the sex parts did get extremely boring towards the end.

I think the appeal of Mr Grey isnt necessarily the sexual dominance, but more the willingness in him to change and learn to be in a relationship. He didnt actually make her sign the contract, she told him she wanted more and he agreed to try. He had a difficult background and was very self assured of himself and what he wanted but he met a woman he wanted to be with and agreed to try it her way instead of his own. Along with the dominance comes a great level of protection and i think most women want to feel protected and adored by whoever they are with.

I personally would feel smothered by the level of protection and dominance in the book but hey, a handsome man with his own helicopter certainly has some appeal, albeit fictional!!
 lonleyrob
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2012 2:27:31 PM
At Post 50.

A friend of mine who is an author herself has read the books and summarized them by saying that she will never get the time back. Her recommendation was to get hold of some of the Mills and Boon and read them instead!!!

Then again, she say that "sex sells" and if it works then ride the wave and make as much as you can at the time.....
 scareymush
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/26/2012 5:46:00 AM
I find anything written by D. M. Thomas extremely sexy..hot...knicker moistening...

Given that the fifty shades of grey trilogy is reputed to be very badly written, I think I'll give it a miss...I read Jilly Cooper's 'Wicked' a couple of years ago...it was sort of compelling-ish (I think I just felt I had to finish it regardless), it wasn't some sort of bonk-buster but it was an apparent eye-opener onto the British educational system at the time of writing..I promised myself after reading that dreadful book that I'd never read sh1tty writing ever again, it was such a painful experience.

I had enjoyed her earlier books in my youth though, maybe she is one of those writers who loses interest in maintaining her integrity as an author and will put out any old crap just for the money because she's already well known and people will buy her stuff regardless...anyway, bad writing is a total turn off no matter what the story is about.
 monty336
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 9:56:34 AM
just wondered if it was a christine grey, a female millionaire controlling a man the same way, would it have spread thru out the male readers in the same way
 Chuzz16
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 10:19:11 AM
''An erotic message from one of the hotties on POF would do it for me much more than reading about it. First preference would be real action rather than reading either. However if the book gets a woman's juices flowing , then no harm done''

I am so tempted Terry. The only problem is, I don't think I would be classed as one of POFs hotties. hahaha
 Strider886
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 10:23:09 AM

Bottom line...It's wanking material for women...nothing more, nothing less.

Bob.

It's not even that, it's just chatting material.... Something for young ladies to laugh and giggle about, they're far more entertained by the puzzled looks on mens faces than by the book itself.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 10:59:41 AM
"I am so tempted Terry. The only problem is, I don't think I would be classed as one of POFs hotties. hahaha "

thats a major falsehood chuzzy ! ;)
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 9:43:26 PM
^^^^^ "You lads have Nuts so hush! "

oooh she so assertive ! hahahahaha :O)
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2012 12:33:56 AM
hahahaha ^^^^ assertive little thing aint she :O)
 Krystals_Granddad
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2012 12:23:52 PM
Who is this Grey fella? He sounds a bit dull to me with that surname.
 llynass
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2012 5:54:52 PM
Like many of you posters I havn't read Fifty Shades either but my 27 year old daughter has read all three and has started to read them over again , informing me that she can't stop thinking about Christan Grey.

She feels it to be a true love story with the sex a small price to pay for what the lady gains in return !!
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 4:22:45 PM
@msg 140... "To be quite frank I'm pissed off hearing about this book"

hahahaha amen brother, i hear you :O)
 GeordieColin
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 4:35:08 PM
Anyone who is " looking for Christian Grey" either has not read it or has a pretty messed up view on life as far as I can see. I have not read it but know the basic attitude of the guy.
Is there still a place for the control freak and cold minded in todays society?
When will people stop having double standards from what they state is wrong with the world and what they except and get kicks from in their own life?
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 6:14:54 PM
to be honest, wanting to "control" a woman in such a manner is perversive to say the least, but, having said that, i know there are plenty of women who like to control their men as such too, oh well, each to their own , but not for me :O)
 GeordieColin
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 6:22:15 PM
How far does it go before a kink kicker becomes a weirdo then utter perv ?
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2012 9:03:31 AM
of a sudden, i find MYself wanting this "mr gray or grey " now !....and if i DO find him, i`m going to shoot the annoying ba@&tard !

i`ve notice i often dont bother clicking on profiles now if i see that caption above a pic .
 Chipsss
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 9:45:51 AM
I think this article is interesting

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kayt-sukel/bdsm_b_1554310.html

Quote about Mr. Grey: “And when Anastasia digs deeper to understand his strange sexual predilections, she learns that he had a violent early childhood, was neglected by his "crack whore" mother and abused by her pimp.”

That must be to make a story then, unless the author actually thinks that?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/bondage-its-knot-so-naughty/2008/08/25/1219516349966.html

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:VzTYQd4BAo0J:www.ipgcounseling.com/psychology_and_bdsm.html+&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESh7f1eGPIi60w60nJCcA-bFBquQ_T76GlDY178TnVMQFZ0fy1wLylHP0XTE0GoyrEXq9zjadTZ_zG_K-L4ivFcPjvu9rb7p4rdleS7hkhG0uwLpOUdJ3lTsQHWzMBbgQtA5kgi8&sig=AHIEtbSKCJIxburJyG6e_F0UM4W1kZ5hiA
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 11:31:45 AM
I am suprised this post has not been deleted or taken to the sex and sexuality forum. Notwithstanding that, he is powerful in his other life too so this to me is where it falls down. I can only speak from my own and pals experiences but powerful men are more than often subs and passive in sex.
 Chipsss
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2012 7:08:28 AM
The book is crap though. Utter boll*cks on so many levels. But hey the magic of marketing means the author is raking it in.

Of the 15,000< reviews it has on Amazon.com the most voted as being helpful is a 2 star one at the top with over 19,000 out of 19,000 "people found the following review helpful". Yet its sales rank is #5 which is a lot of sales.

the magic of marketing

If you look at page 642 of the 5 star reviews note that the following profiles have only ever posted 1 review on Amazon.com of that book: smurfks, Crislexana, judel, Pen Name, TaShannon Pippin, alliecat3000, MelissaS (3 reviews all of same authors work), rksay more and mspocahantus.

It's a similar situation for page 641, 643 etc. I went straight to earlier reviews on that page 642 as I knew they get the ball rolling early on with these kind of things.

A significant number of people rely on online customer reviews (that can often be posted by anyone, from anywhere in the world and for whatever reason, whether they have purchased the product or not) to make their purchase decisions.

http://www.lightspeedresearch.com/press-releases/consumers-rely-on-online-reviews-and-price-comparisons-to-make-purchase-decisions/

With the exception of the kickback of 50 shades, in general hardly any actual customers bother to post reviews themselves. If they did then the activities of the likes of JR Ellory or John Locke wouldn't stand out anywhere near as much.

As a legitimate and not dodgy international online business myself I slightly regret overestimating customers intelligence.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Wanting Christian Grey.....