Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > sally ride first lesbian in space      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 blartfast
Msg: 1
sally ride first lesbian in spacePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelangelo-signorile/sally-ride-american-hero_b_1697871.html

"Sally Ride, American Hero: This Is What a Lesbian Looks Like

This is what a lesbian looks like: Sally Ride: physicist; author of seven science books for children; member of the space shuttle Challenger crew; member of the President's Committee of Advisors on Science and Technology; director of the California Science Institute; inductee into the National Women's Hall of Fame, the California Hall of Fame, the Aviation Hall of Fame, and the Astronaut Hall of Fame; recipient of the Jefferson Award for Public Service, the von Braun Award, the Lindbergh Eagle, the NCAA's Theodore Roosevelt Award, and the NASA Space Flight Medal (twice)."

it is to bad that she chose not to come out while she was alive. She would have been a great living role model for young GLBT persons. Her example still can be.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 2
sally ride first lesbian in space
Posted: 7/24/2012 3:26:05 PM
I think the fact that she was a lesbian has nothing to do w/ her accomplishments. So what, gay people r everywhere doing everything, that is what is so awesome!

Her sexual preference shouldn't be scrutinized, it is just part of who she was, IMO!
 mungojoe
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/24/2012 3:48:39 PM
I think the fact that she was a lesbian has nothing to do w/ her accomplishments. So what, gay people r everywhere doing everything, that is what is so awesome!

Her sexual preference shouldn't be scrutinized, it is just part of who she was, IMO!

You are right... Being lesbian didn't CAUSE her to do those things... Nor did it STOP her...

Have you heard any of the crap, the vicious, vile propaganda, about gays and lesbians coming from a large segment of the US population...?!? About how gays and lesbian can't/shouldn't be allowed to do certain things (without the slightest regard for their actual ability to do those things) like be Den Mothers or Scout Leaders or get married, etc, etc... ? How the "gay and lesbian agenda" is destroying America...?

Do you honestly think that hateful crap doesn't have influence...? That it does need to be countered by examples which prove it to be hateful crap...?

I agree that it shouldn't be necessary but that isn't the present reality in the US...
 Blalah
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/24/2012 7:09:31 PM
The song 'Mustang Sally' played a part in her accomplishment when newspapers across the country posted headlines with her pictures that read 'Ride Sally Ride!'

As far as sexual preference it seems it's always those who claim to be the most compassionate and understanding who make it into an issue to begin with. WTF cares?
 mungojoe
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/24/2012 8:36:50 PM
WTF cares?

I don't know... Maybe the kids who get bullied jsut for being homosexual...? Maybe the kids who have to listen to their fundamentalist parents rant on about the "evil homosexual agenda" (all the while having to 'bite their lip', either to keep their mouths shut or hide their pain)...?

As far as sexual preference it seems it's always those who claim to be the most compassionate and understanding who make it into an issue to begin with.

Make it an "issue"...? It doesn't sound to me like the OP was "making an issue" of it... Unless, of course, you consider pointing out things like 'Edison was American' or 'Rosa Parks was black' to be "making an issue" of it...

Really, why would you consider pointing this out as a means of, possibly, providing hope and inspiration to all those kids who are made to feel like sh!t just because they're homosexual to be "making an issue" of it...?

Yes, if only "WTF cares" was the worst that these kids, all homosexuals really, had to 'put up with' on a daily basis...
 Blalah
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/24/2012 9:04:41 PM
In relation to the story, and especially since there seems to be a need to point it out, Judith Resnik was the first American heroic straight woman to enter outer space.
 blartfast
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/24/2012 9:18:10 PM
I think all young people need role models who share elements of their identity that they can look up to. I don't think sexual identity should be any different than other element of identity. I think that it is important for GLBT youth to have GLBT role models. It is even more important for GLBT youth since they have to put up with so much negativity and abuse just for being GLBT.

It would be fantastic if people who don't identify as GBLT all adopted a who cares attitutde. Then it wouldn't important for anyone but those who identify as GLBT. I don't think who cares is a realistic attitude in today's world since it is obvious that a lot of people do care but in a very negative way that has serious negative consequences for GBLT youth.
 Blalah
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/24/2012 9:27:02 PM
Resnik was also a first Jewish woman to enter space. Hopefully this will help the self esteem of all the Jewish youth along the same lines of the above Rosa Parks comment since we're making that comparison.
 flyguy51
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/24/2012 9:39:49 PM
Your offtopic comments exploit Resnik's memory in a less than tasteful, appropriate, and respectful fashion. Evidently the point of this thread is one you refuse to understand.

And that is saying something, as it couldn't have been made more clear for you.
 mungojoe
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/24/2012 9:41:08 PM
Resnik was also a first Jewish woman to enter space. Hopefully this will help the self esteem of all the Jewish youth along the same lines of the above Rosa Parks comment since we're making that comparison.

I don't think you realy need to point that out... people are doing a fine job of pulling up role models for jewish youth... There are all kinds of achievement awards for Jewish people... Such as the OAJE Teacher Recognition Awards or the IAJGS Achievement Awards... I could go on but I'm sure the point is clear now..
 Tah,
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/25/2012 12:15:35 AM

Judith Resnik was the first American heroic straight woman to enter outer space.

Who was the first straight woman?
 robin-hood
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2012 7:11:17 AM
OP's post was no different from what California is teaching in schools. They have introduced accomplishments linked to the fact they are gay or lesbian. This has also been done with ethnicity as in black history, or latino history. I see many of the replies here are in disagreement with whats being taught in California schools.

As for Sally, sorry to hear she died so young. I still have this image of her boarding the space shuttle.

Added this little link of Sally with NASA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wojiv4AhD4g
 mungojoe
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/25/2012 8:35:39 AM
OP's post was no different from what California is teaching in schools. They have introduced accomplishments linked to the fact they are gay or lesbian. This has also been done with ethnicity as in black history, or latino history. I see many of the replies here are in disagreement with whats being taught in California schools.

Yes... because if we ignore the people we hate then they might just go away and stop expecting fair and equal treatment... Then we can all go back to being good little "man on top", waspy bigots... Despite the excuses, I can't see any other reason for people to get so bent out of shape over the mention of someone admired being lesbian...
 Welsh474
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/25/2012 10:12:04 AM
""it is to bad that she chose not to come out while she was alive.""

Sally Ride didn't owe anybody anything - including coming out while she was alive. She, as well as everyone, should be taken at face value for whatever their accomplishments. No one need add "oh, and she was gay" or "he was gay" or "he was jewish". No one does the add on of "and he was straight" or "an she is an atheist". None of this should matter.

As for teaching in schools - we should be teaching that there are multi faceted people out there of all colours, genders and religion and all need to be respected. There should be no room for bigots and bullys in our world. But maybe I'm just looking at it all through rose coloured glasses - but I like my view.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/25/2012 10:19:24 AM
Well I am a blonde- I want to know who was the 1st blonde woman in outer space...I grew up in the NYC area, so maybe my perception of individuality is a bit...LIBERAL...the mayor of the town north of me is gay...he is a great guy & a great mayor, he is a friend of a friend & is as funny as all he L L at BBQs, but the gay thing is really not a biggie...

What do I care what people do in their bedrooms...
That person may like doggy-style w/ a brunette
The other guy may like a redhead on top of him
it's none of my business unless I am the one f*cking him...get my drift???
 trinity818
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/25/2012 11:17:36 AM

Sally Ride, American Hero: This Is What a Lesbian Looks Like

Based on the fact that she specifically chose to keep her sexual preference private, I really don't think she would appreciate this.

If she wanted to be a symbol for the gay movement, she would have done so. I think she is being exploited and it dishonors her memory to use her in this way.

She cared a great deal about science and giving young people opportunities for exposure to it. That's the kind of publicity she would appreciate.
 blartfast
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/25/2012 11:19:24 AM
msg 14

I didn't say that she owed anybody, anything. I simply said it would have been nice. It could have served as a symbol for those who are so heavily vilified for simply being homosexual to know that those who hate them can't keep them down forever.

In our society being heterosexual is assumed as normal, there is no need to mention it. I can't remember the last time I heard of spomeone being dragged to death behind a truck just because they were heterosexual or denied marriage just because they were heterosexual. The assertion that no-one is openly identified as straight as an excuse for not mentioning homosexuality is silly and it will remain so until you can show me where society vilifies and denies them simply for being heterosexual.

You are right that it should not realy matter but that isn't the way it is right now. It does matter to a great many people, that is why politicians are attacked for being homosexual, why people are bullied and even killed for being homosexual, why people are denied equal rights and treatment for being homosexual. These are not isolated, one-off situations, they occur constantly and daily actross the country. I'm not sure how you, I or another saying it doesn't matter to us will change the treatment homosexuals recieve at the hands of those for whom it does matter. If anything it amounts to turning a blind eye to the suffering of others because it doesn't effect us.

msg 15

I am glad you grew up where people were a bit more tolerant of homosexuals. Unfortunately, not everyone has the good fortune to have that kind of support among the broader society. Try marrying a woman in Mississippi and see how far you get compared to NY then try marrying a man in Mississippi and see if that goes any more smoothly. I think you will find a night and day difference.

I do have to ask though, if the mayor you mentioned being gay is not at all important then how is it that you know about it? It certainly is wonderful that an openly homosexual man can be elected as Mayor in NY but how far would he get if he ran for President or Governor of Georgia as an openly homosexual man.

Again, I agree that such things shouldn't matter enough to even be mentioned but to pretend that such an attitude will amke all the discrimination by others go away is merely burying your head in the sand so that you don't have to hear of such problems elsewhere.
 flyguy51
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/25/2012 11:43:12 AM

Based on the fact that she specifically chose to keep her sexual preference private, I really don't think she would appreciate this.

If she wanted to be a symbol for the gay movement, she would have done so. I think she is being exploited and it dishonors her memory to use her in this way.

She kept her private life private, not just her sexual preference. She wasn't "in the closet;" she just wasn't public about it. Seeing as how her partner, her company, and her sister saw fit to include this info in her obituary, I fail to see how acknowledging it dishonors her memory.

She also fought cancer for a long time and kept that private, too. No dishonor there in acknowledging and drawing inspiration from that, wouldn't you agree?
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/25/2012 12:33:01 PM

I do have to ask though, if the mayor you mentioned being gay is not at all important then how is it that you know about it?
His BF was always at his side, I liked him too, what a fun couple...plus they live together & have a business together. I don't think he kept it a secret, he may not have advertised it either...I do not know either very well...
But someone's abilities whether it is to be in space or be a mayor or any other thing should not me measured by their sexual proclivities (unless they r a child molestor or a rapist)
 mungojoe
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/25/2012 1:03:12 PM

But someone's abilities whether it is to be in space or be a mayor or any other thing should not me measured by their sexual proclivities

Now, you see... This is where your point is falling down and will continue to fall down... Recognizing her lesbianism IS NOT measuring her ability by her "sexual proclivities"... It is a FALSE argument... Recognizing her lesbianism is ASSERTING that her abilities are NOT determined by her sexual proclivities in contrast to what the homophobes and gay-haters would LIKE to believe...

The gay-haters and homophobes want to PRETEND that gays and lesbians are NOT SUITABLE for a great many things BECAUSE of their sexual proclivities... Recognizing that people who have accomplished great things, who also happen to be gay or lesbian, puts the lie to all those "justifications" based on bigotry...
 trinity818
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/25/2012 1:22:55 PM
There is a difference between acknowledging it and exploiting it.

Wouldn't you agree?
 mungojoe
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/25/2012 1:35:20 PM
There is a difference between acknowledging it and exploiting it.

Wouldn't you agree?

Absolutely... And if she had used it to try to assert her "right" to go in space then I would agree that it was being exploited... That is not the case here where it is being asserted that it isn't an impediment or something to be feared...
 Welsh474
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/25/2012 1:39:47 PM
""I respect her for keeping the details of her homosexual disorder a private matter while she was alive. It's unfortunate that homosexual extremists are exploiting her death in their push to normalize this terrible affliction.""

I'd rather be born gay than to grow up to be a bigot. I'd rather be born gay than to grow up to hate. I'd rather be born gay than to be a bully. I'd rather be born gay than grow up in the religious right, seems some folks just don't understand the teachings of their own book.
 flyguy51
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/25/2012 1:43:05 PM
I agree that there's a difference. I still disagree with you that the article in the OP is exploitation. To me, it sounds as though you are ashamed for her private life, and you are projecting that on her memory by exhorting everyone to politely ignore the "distasteful facts" out of your own sense of decorum. She was not ashamed of her private life. She just wanted it to be private while she was living it.
 trinity818
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/25/2012 2:05:30 PM

To me, it sounds as though you are ashamed for her private life, and you are projecting that on her memory by exhorting everyone to politely ignore the "distasteful facts" out of your own sense of decorum.

fly...you are doing a great deal of projecting. (Inappropriately, I might add.) You have absolutely NO basis for your statements regarding my views. In fact, you don't have a fvcking clue what my view on homosexuality is. My opinion is no more or no less than what I stated. I think she is and will be exploited by other people. The cited article below clearly states repeatedly how much she valued her privacy. Just because she acknowledged her lover in her obituary does NOT mean she is now choosing to be an advocate for anything more than the science programs she valued so dearly. There was not even a HINT of shame in anything I've posted. Take my words at face value and stop playing games.

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07/24/12933519-why-sally-ride-waited-until-her-death-to-tell-the-world-she-was-gay?lite&__utma=14933801.345528358.1343248753.1343248753.1343248753.1&__utmb=14933801.4.10.1343248753&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1343248753.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12=Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=186808872
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > sally ride first lesbian in space