Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > When chintzy boyfriend is really loaded      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yourhandyman1
Msg: 1
When chintzy boyfriend is really loadedPage 1 of 1    
A friend of mine told me today that she has found out accidentally that her chintzy boyfriend is nowhere near as poor as he has always made out to be, during their 18 month relationship. She has always been most generous with him and certainly gave more than she ever got back. What advice would you give her?
 gcdeb
Msg: 2
When chintzy boyfriend is really loaded
Posted: 7/27/2012 5:01:34 AM
If he has been deliberately lying to her in order for her to give him money, she should dump him.

If she has been spending more than him just because he chooses not to spend much money, that was her decision and she needs to be responsible for her own actions.
 kmac6
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2012 5:58:34 PM
I guess it would depend on the circumstances. Now how is she going to tackle the issue after she 'accidently' found out? Are they just dating or are they living together?

Maybe the answer is to come right out and say.. Look whilst I was accidently looking around I discovered....

I always like the direct approach myself.
 qldblue
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/27/2012 8:30:08 PM
There has been some good advice from the other posters on this thread but the question I have to ask is this;
Why is he reluctant to spend his money, is it because he doesn't agree with what your friend wants to buy on those occassions?

Most of us will look at things and will automatically decide yes I will buy that or no I won't or ask ourselves who in their right mind will ever buy that.

I know I did not always agree with what my wife wanted to buy, just as she didn't always agree with what I wanted to buy but that didn't make either of us chinzty with our money.

There could be other reasons but then as the question is starting to crop up more is how did your friend find out her that the guy had money?

OP, you have made the guy look bad about him having some money but you have also raised questions about your friends behaviour with what little you have stated and as such it really is between your friend and her boyfriend
 yourhandyman1
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/27/2012 11:01:11 PM
Thanks for your comments. Many of the thoughts expressed have been mine too.

I happen to know both people in this situation. Not entirely happy about the circumstance under which this discovery was accidentally made either, and to me, indicates something about the relationship in the first place. But I do know that she contributes her fair share into it, while he tends to cry poor. She feels put out that she has been given the impression that he is on a limited income and had accepted that he simply couldn't afford to go to a nice restaurant or show occasionally at his expense, when she had actually done so herself and shouted the evening. I guess she simply doesn't feel that she is valued in the relationship.

Will be interesting to see how she resolves the matter.
 kmac6
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2012 3:53:43 AM
DO you mean me. lol. I am never sure on the quotation marks. lol
 Hilly02
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/11/2012 3:25:29 AM
Im just wondering where one would find one of these chintzy rich boyfriends :-)
 smothy
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/11/2012 5:00:29 AM
How would you know hilly if he is chintzy rich ,snoop?
 Hilly02
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/11/2012 9:02:28 PM
No snooping needed I would think. Most things come out in the wash eventually. Personally, I think someone rich pretending to be poor is not as bad as someone poor pretending to be rich. Imagine all the disappointed gold diggers that one causes!
Myself, I prefer poor and admits they are poor......it's hot :-)
 foxboroughhottubs
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2012 12:32:45 AM

Myself, I prefer poor and admits they are poor......it's hot :-)

Hey Hilly .... I am as broke as the elastic in a Dero's y-fronts ..... is that doing it for ya ? :)
 foxboroughhottubs
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2012 12:35:10 AM
Mukuma ...chintzy .... cheapskate... a guy who has short arms and very deep pockets to keep his money in .... wouldnt shout if a shark bit him :D
In other words a bloke who has money, butis very reluctant to part with it , and prefers to let others pick up the tab when out .

I believe the word came about for Chintz curtains ( the thin white lacey stuff usually calico based ) ... Something that was very cheap compared to regular curtain ... so if you were cheap , you were chintzy :)
 gingerosity
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2012 12:37:30 AM
Sorry, I live in London. What is a Chintzy ? I am guessing it must be someone who is perceived and expected to be poor ?

London? No wonder you don't know what a chintzy is... everyone in London is rich because you stole all our gold! :-D
 kmac6
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2012 12:43:52 AM
^^^^^^^ Ohh.. SMACK!!! LOL..
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > When chintzy boyfriend is really loaded