Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Risk taking in midlife      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Msg: 2
Risk taking in midlifePage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
As i get older I take more risks as you see how short life is. Do hot air ballooning over a lake. I did it in lake Tahoe and if it crashed it would be on water.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 3
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/28/2012 11:45:09 PM
I'm taking more, I think. I started my business after 45, and also walked away from it five years later to have more time to do the fun things I was missing. I've been through some very trying times and realized what tough stuff I'm made of.

I am determined to go skydiving on my 60th birthday - hopefully long before!

Life IS short - I lost my husband when he was only 49. Since then I've not been afraid of much.
 Gargymil
Msg: 4
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 12:21:33 AM
I do not think people are taking more risks, I think they are just living their lives . When in a relationship and have kids or other responsibilities you may not have the time to do things or may not have the funds to do things you would like . Once you get a little older and are not having to allocate all your time to family , work etc , people start doing things they would like to have done before but did not .
Hot air balloon's , zip lining , mt climbing , running marathons , swimming with the fish's not overly risky just fun and way better than bingo ...
 nativerock
Msg: 5
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 4:24:56 AM
Never been much of a risk taker.. I am a conservative investor so some element of risk but not high risk.. Losing my husband young I cut back on most of the more risky things in life to make sure my children were not orphans.. So no longer competed in triathlons, marathons etc..

As I am now older that has not changed much at all..

nativerock
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 6
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 5:03:55 AM
I saved $$$ & quit my job over a year ago...
It saved my health, LOL!
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 7
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 5:10:10 AM

In part it's also due to the fact that I still have a 16 year old at home,

I think that is the key factor in your thought process.
I know it was in mine.

However 45 is considered a major life change moment.
It too is when I left my long career in the banking IT environment and ventured out to start my own business and do what I wanted to do with my life.

As for the physical risk situations, I waited until my last born was 19 to start those.
That is when I got my motorcycle license.
Look out open road .... here I come (when I find the right motorcycle lol)
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 8
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 5:49:40 AM
Well, at my age, only I want to do is relax, I have done many things in my life; yes work, will not retire anytime soon, but risks? No.
But since I am very spontaneous, who knows, may try sky diving.
 Dolphina
Msg: 9
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 6:24:34 AM
I take more risks as I age. I completed my PhD at 50, took up scuba diving at 54, moved across the continent at 56 and set up private practice in my profession. On my 60th birthday in January I plan to go hang-gliding down at the coast near where I live, or hot-air ballooning. Such fun!
 Walts
Msg: 10
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 6:34:29 AM
With everything I do, there always is some thinking involved. So,yeah, maybe I do "risk" more now,but I define them as "calculated" risks. And yeah, some close calls,one only a few weeks ago,but, I'm still here. One bonus of my little adventures is that everytime it's a free heart test. And yeah, it still works!!!! :O
 Wonder5750
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 7:34:07 AM
I did go skydiving for my 50th birthday. I had always wanted to but waited till my kids were old enough. My ex actually paid for the trip, yet he didn't go...hmmmmm hahaha

This year I am going on a week long pack trip into the mountains. The terrain is rugged and it will be something like survivor from what I am told.

I also want to drive a race car... I highly doubt it will be much more exciting than California freeways, but I would love to see what going on 150 feels like :) I would like to hit 200, but I am not sure I have the reflexes for it. lol

I am an adrenaline junky, and always have been. I lightened up when my kids were small, but I still rodeoed.

I have this attitude that I don't want to miss anything! If this is our one chance here (and some feel we done be moer than one go round) I want to taste it all!

Its kind of funny as I live a very sedate farm style life, but when the urge strikes me... look out!
 Zuglo65
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 8:22:30 AM
Never been much of a risk taker.
Honestly a thought of being seriously injured, or die just kept me from doing things.
Do have a young daughter that I would like to see grow up, so that's a big reason for it too.
But if anyone wants me to be honest, it's me being a chicken...LOL
 TedJMill
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 9:21:29 AM
I had my reverse midlife crisis in my late 40's: a fling with being a provider, parent, and home owner. It didn't last very long, and is one of the worse mistakes I ever made.
 c_deacon
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:03:24 AM
Many times we look for excuses not to take risks or say...."I will truly consider that later or when this or that happens", and it is nothing more than putting off what you want to do but afraid to try it.

The difference for me now, is that I know from all my life experiences, that I am not invincible and that many things can and will happen to me, and has over the years......but......I am still here alive and kicking and overall, better for it. I still risk take for many things, just deliberate much more, analyze the options, and outcomes, and then look at the benefits versus the risk and make a decision.

If it is going to affect many in my life, I add that to the mix, but if it only affects me or a few, I am much more prone to try those things that I might not if responsible for a family of four or five, or a business that takes care of many that work for me. My thought process is one of....can I afford to do it, and if it does not work out right, can those that count on me still be able to control their own destiny, just as I am mine with those risks. If I set up enough safe guards in my life to help those that do, I am more than willing to try new things, take risks and enjoy the outcomes, while before, I would either jump in with both feet, or walk away because of the potential to lose.

cd
 TC2u
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:20:37 AM
I think more than anything else, it depends on what you lived before 45. I've taken risk all my life, physical, and financial.
Now I'm ready to chill, and just enjoy the pleasures of what I've sewn.
 mrmisterme
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:24:24 AM
Here's the question: Since you turned 45, are you prone to taking more risks in your life, or fewer, and why?

I wouldn't say that it was taking more risks, but doing something that you always wanted to try (or at least dreamed of it).
Let's use skydiving: Sure, there's a risk, but there's a risk in a lot of things like white water rafting, mountain climbing and even learning to ride a motorcycle. Now, most of us have the time and the money to try some of the things we always thought of doing. You try it; if you like it then you try it again. If you don't like it, then you can always say that you did do it.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 19
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:59:27 AM
At 45, I left a 25 year marriage and moved over 2,000 miles to live with a much younger man.

That's about the biggest risk that I took--I know it doesn't compare with skydiving.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 20
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 11:53:25 AM
I guess for me its the same as always. Still go backpacking alone in the high sierra. The comming up thoursday I'm off to my full moon motorcycle ride on the angeles crest highway. Those rides during the summer time are the best and the highlight of each month. What makes does rides the best time of the month is the rush.
Think of this but in total darkness with the only light comming from the bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVQ9rWHV4G8
Last week spend 5 hours a few miles out in the ocean on a kayak..
Only think that worries me is if I get hurt on one of my bike rides and I couldnt work. What is the point in living to be 90 year old and sitting in the wheel chair with droll comming out of your mouth. Can't wipe your own butt.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 1:56:38 PM
LOL! Great question Bicycling Gal!!!

I've always been quite adventureous....worked construction where there were virtually NO women in that field, bought my first motorcycle in 1982....when you RARELY saw a women riding solo....and I vowed to riding rollercoasters when I was 90 yrs old......BUT

Things happen! I had back surgery in 2002...and while I still ride motorcycles and rollercoasters....I HAVE...given up rollerskating!!! LOL! After the surgery...it seemed really important to me to not let my "disability" keep me from doing the things that I love to do. I actually DID go rollerskating twice after surgery but as anyone can tell you...after spinal fusion...you loose a LOT of flexibility and sense of balance. I didn't fall down, but there were a couple of "ouch moments" when I had to twist to catch myself...and it really hurt. I remember thinking.....how STUPID I was being....and wondering just what the hell I thought I was trying to prove to myself. IF I'd fallen....I could have seriously injured myself...and then WHO would take the Grandkids to the skating rink???

I think that it's always a process....that we weigh the "risks" with the pleasure we receive in participating in "advertureous" activities. Having children that rely on us is always a prime consideration. THOUGH.....Hot Air Ballooning IS one activity that I PLAN to try out before I die!!! LOL! It's one of the few things that I can still do that won't cause me any more pain....it won't cause any less either, but I can be in pain doing something fun just as easy as being in pain doing something boring!!!
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 22
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 3:39:04 PM

Here's the question: Since you turned 45, are you prone to taking more risks in your life, or fewer, and why?

More risks...I took up motorcycling, target shooting and earned my degree. I travel all over the country in a tiny little convertible and biggest risk of all...I bought a house in down economy. Maybe this does not equate to getting a tattoo, rock climbing or taking up skydiving, but with my sons grown, this is now my time to explore and experience those things while I still can. When you stop being curious and taking chances, you become old in mind and spirit...not likely to happen here.

Now I am considering uprooting myself and starting over someplace I have never lived before and where I know no one (yet). It's very exciting, I must say.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 23
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 3:58:41 PM
It didn't take me to be 45 to take a risk. I came to Canada from my home, Ireland, when I was 18 and knew no one. Now, having said that, I plan to go back home in my later years to live out my days.
 missmermaid4u
Msg: 24
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 4:46:37 PM
Less risks for me..Never wanted to sky dive..But always loved roller coasters, and I still do!
Would I indulge in risky behavior?
Like I do not feel as infallible as I did in my teenage years, but with trust I would love to venture life in the slow lane..With just the zest for what the joy of life and simplicity bring us..Love is a pocket full of sunshine, just like the song..Don’t need much more
 tbicon
Msg: 25
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 4:55:24 PM
skydiving with an experienced jumper is barely any risk at all. People in middle age who take risks are those who choose to start new careers, new jobs, education, new spouses, etc. Anybody can jump out of a plane strapped to an expert. A few minutes of training and you are good to go.
 Thornz2000
Msg: 26
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 5:32:30 PM
Want risk taking?
Walk around south L.A. at 2am and see how it goes.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 8:36:04 PM
lol Yes jumping out of a plane strapped to a handsome young man is quite easy to do, there is still the rush of falling 100 mph to earth and a bit of fear. Have you jumped tbicon?
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 28
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 11:34:57 PM
I take calculated risks. Today I hiked 14 total miles in the Cascade Mountains, gaining 2,500 feet (a half mile) in elevation over seven miles. It took nine hours. Wow, that trail was steep!

We couldn't find the second lake because it was covered with snow. Above the first lake, the trail was snow covered with water running under it in places = dangerous. Looking for the trail, we wound up on the Pacific Crest Trail above the lakes on a snowy glacier near a high mountain pass. I should have had crampons or Yak-Trax with me.

We were careful and stayed safe. We avoided stepping where water was running underneath the snow. Stamping foot holds, we tested the snow before putting our full weight on it. Calculated risks.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Risk taking in midlife