Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should I or Shouldn't I      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Darkhawk36
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Should I or Shouldn't IPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Bottom line: bad idea. Focus on YOUR life.
 OutMind
Msg: 6
Should I or Shouldn't I
Posted: 7/29/2012 6:20:22 AM
So let me take this in. You have a son. You are not married or ever were married to the mother. You want to spend time with the son? Or the ex gf? I am confused.

What was your presence to this boy as he was growing up?
Did you spent time with him?

So you ended up hanging with the ex and her two kids, which I guess are not yours?

This doesn't make much sense.
 windchymes
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Should I or Shouldn't I
Posted: 7/29/2012 6:26:29 AM
^^^^^^Agree. Forget stupid Facebook and your ex-wife and concentrate on repairing the relationship you don't have with your son.

I'm not sure why you didn't spend the day "chilling" with your son as you had planned, but you should have put your foot down and insisted he spend time with you, even if he balked at it. Kids will do that, even when they want you to do the opposite. If he disappeared before even seeing you, you should have tracked him down.

You need to show him you really care, not shrug your shoulders and let him off so easily....if that's what happened. Even though he's 19, he's still really still a kid. You should have tracked him down and spent time with him, not with his mother and step-siblings.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Should I or Shouldn't I
Posted: 7/29/2012 7:00:35 AM
There is an ancient phrase, often said, but not as often correctly understood, that one ought to try to "be the bigger man" about things.

I believe that what it best means, is that one can take the larger, more inclusive view of all things in life, such that the most important, long term, and grandest ideals, can be supported overall, despite their apparently being damaged or attacked in small moments.

In this case, it means that your genuine love for your own child is the grander ideal, which should rise above and beyond all petty details, such as Facebook falderal, and times when he mistakenly feels he must reject you. He is young. Allow him his mistakes, and care about him in spite of them. Suffer the "slings and arrows" of Facebook nonsense, and vengeful actions taken by angry people who wish you and/or him ill. If a game must be played on the smaller fields, such as having a Facebook link with someone you'd as soon leave in the dumpster, in order to serve the larger goal of caring for your child, so be it. Play nice with people you dislike, in order to achieve the best for those you love.
 TC2u
Msg: 20
Should I or Shouldn't I
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:34:15 AM
I'm not sure what FB friends even means, if it means anything at all... it wouldn't to me. As far as you two being friends, only you can answer that.
 TC2u
Msg: 21
Should I or Shouldn't I
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:36:59 AM

There's nothing I can do to change my son.

All you can do is love him, and pray/hope for the best.
 daynadaze
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Should I or Shouldn't I
Posted: 7/29/2012 12:10:56 PM
I think it's time you've worked on your relationship with your son. Obviously something is terribly wrong, but for 5 years now you've shrugged it off as not your problem.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should I or Shouldn't I