Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Living with Jack Spratt!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 3
Living with Jack Spratt!Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
yes change your eating habits. The probably one of the reasons why I dont get fat is I dont over eat. And Im active too.
 gentlebear22
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/1/2012 4:11:35 PM
I have dealt with this issue most of my life. I guess you can say all that junk that he eats is his food and not yours to eat.
 _mr_brown
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/1/2012 4:33:08 PM
I can relate to this.

I don't have much will power when it comes to food.

My saving grace is that I live alone, so i can control 100% of the food that comes into my household(which is 80-90% healthy).

When i lived @ home, my family ate mostly junk. As soon as I moved out i dropped 20 pounds. When i go back home to visit i get teased, they think im starving myself ! lol

I wish i had an answer for you, its not a stupid question. My only suggestion is to try and work out more to offset the excess calories you are consuming.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 9
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/1/2012 4:56:08 PM
At meals times, I cooked what was healthy for me. Leaner meats, grilled veggies, salad and a small serving of rice, couscous, pasta etc. and then added to it for him with a larger servings and then, tough as it always was, I would try to skip the deserts completely. I also still never bought donuts, cookies, chips etc. They are loaded with crap that, even if you are skinny, is bad for the body if eaten on a regular basis. Doesn't matter how your metabolism works, refine carbs and certain fats are still bad for you.

The other trick is to make sure you get more exercise when are spending your time with someone who can eat like that. More trips to the gym, walking onmy lunch break etc.
 Sticks70
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/1/2012 4:56:31 PM
not a dumb question at all, and I can relate.

when my Ex and I were together, he did the majority of the grocery shopping, and more than half of the cooking. He would prepare meals that were amazing, but heavy on calories . This was OK for him and our kids, but I would force myself to skip lunch the next day. Either because I overate the evening before, or because I knew another dish like pasta with cream sauce was on the menu that night. I felt bad if I didn't eat what he prepared, given the amount of time and effort he would put in. Eventually, I began to serve myself a smaller portion and do a bunch of sit ups before bed :)

When it was my turn to cook, I would prepare light meals and also serve his prepared left overs so everyone had a choice.
 TC2u
Msg: 15
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/1/2012 5:31:27 PM
I was the same way, and was always told "Wait till you hit 40, you'll grow", I laughed. Although I've got your bo beat by an inch, it is now a constant battle, and my diets totally changed.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/1/2012 5:51:52 PM

Maybe was a dumb question, but thought I'd throw it out there.

not at all.

have you tried asking him to cut out some of the things that tempt you the most? yes, it's not 'fair' to ask that, but is it possible these foods aren't as important to him as an act of caring on your behalf?
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/1/2012 8:06:56 PM
Oh good for you both, OP.

Communication saves the day again.

Maybe this will also be an example to others because it shows how a good man behaves when he truly cares about his woman.

Thanks for sharing!
 Zuglo65
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/2/2012 4:47:55 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't know who Jack Spratt is? Guess I should google him..

Jack Spratt is the protagonist in a series of alternate history science fiction fantasy novels by Jasper Fforde. He was named after the character from the English nursery rhyme. As revealed in The Big Over Easy, for example, he hates eating fat, and was once married to a woman who ate nothing else (hence, she died).

Wow, so many Jack Spratt came up. Guess it's a saying for a skinny guy.

OP, I have a little different take on this.
IMO he shouldn't do it a front of you, knowing that it is a battle for you to ignore the constant temptations.
 grizzelda
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/2/2012 6:23:56 AM
I think the hardest thing is that many healthy options require a certain amoutn of prep time and the junk food is easily accessed when you are standing in the kitchen looking for something to eat.

I try to have strawberries on hand as they really seem to deal with my sweet tooth or I eat a handful of almonds or peanuts. All easy to grab and better for you. Its tough when a bag of chips or cookies is sitting on the counter and you are hungry.
 ladyc4
Msg: 34
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/2/2012 9:40:08 AM
Haven't read each and every post, but my thinking is; just because he CAN eat like that doesn't mean he SHOULD.

Trust me, up until my mid-30s I could eat ANYTHING that didn't try to eat me first, and lose weight in the process.

Now I'm having to retrain myself from the "I never met a calorie I didn't like" mindset.
My childhood was not about fast foods/processed foods, etc, we were discouraged from loading up on sweets, empty calories,but we ate red meat, potatoes, pasta(vegetables and salads were always served at meals and dessert was a "Sunday dinner" thing, not a daily feature).

But I agree with others, balance, portion cotrol, moderation, and start encouraging your guy to eat more chicken, fish, vegetables, fruits, salads.
One of the hats I wear is a bookseller specializing in cookbooks...particularly collectible and antique. But there are TONS of cookbooks out there that can help you prepare lighter versions of "real food", which will help BOTH of you.
Cindy O
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 39
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/3/2012 10:15:44 AM

unless he has lots of whole grains that are barely processed to neutralise the effects.

I truly wish the "healthy whole grain" meme would die. . . .
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/
Along with "low fat". . . .
www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/opinion/sunday/what-really-makes-us-fat.html
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/05/06/why-the-campaign-to-stop-america-s-obesity-crisis-keeps-failing.html

This country had very little problem with overweight until the "Health Gurus" took over and started recommending those two. . . . The human body needs a good deal of fat. It needs NO frankenwheat or GMO grain. None.

Absolutely agree about sugar, however.

For Janet:
My ex was six foot one, hundred thirty pounds when I met him. Got him all the way up to a hundred forty five in the twelve years we were married. It took him a few years to notice that he ate four or five times what I ate, lol! What finally saved me, was finding a food program that was PRO-me, not ANTI-food. For me, it was low-to-no-carbs. After it became a way of life, junk food simply wasn't interesting to me. I cooked for me, made a whole lot of it, and if he wanted more or different, that was his job.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 41
Living with Jack Spratt!
Posted: 8/3/2012 11:32:19 AM
Lol! I didn't mean to imply that it was unilateral. He pretty much loved my cooking, so was happy just to get more. . . . I even managed to cook Chinese that he and his friends found more than acceptable.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Living with Jack Spratt!