Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Car Trouble -battery to be specific      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 2
Car Trouble -battery to be specificPage 1 of 1    
Any auto parts store will have the right battery for your van. That's easy.
I do have a few questions for you, first - what are you going to do after you get the battery? Do you have someone to replace it? And why are you replacing this battery?
I assume your battery is dead, or old, but you need to verify that your van's electrical system is working correctly, because if it's not working correctly, your new battery will soon be dead too.
 nipoleon
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Car Trouble -battery to be specific
Posted: 8/2/2012 1:30:00 AM
I don't understand how the previous owner could install a battery that's too small.

A standard 12 volt battery should be perfectly OK for your car. Any auto parts store can tell you exactly the battery you need and would probably help you put it in.
I recommend spending a few extra bucks and getting the longest lasting battery you can.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2012 1:30:24 AM
You can find your battery size on the website of auto supply stores that sells batteries.

According to advanceautoparts.com, your battery size is 34 but it is for US. Don't know if Canada uses the same size or the same standard so you need to look it up using Canadian auto parts suppliers.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/2/2012 2:42:02 AM
Looking it up in the book at the autoparts store is not difficult. It's just like looking up to see which wipers fit your car or any number of other parts. Call around. Battery prices vary. If you are on a tight budget, Walmart sells car batteries and they have a range (don't know which one but it's not the cheapest range) which comes with a life time guarantee so any issues down the line, you walk in with your proof of purchase and they swap for a new one there and then. They are really easy to install too. Choose the best quality one you can afford. - Don't choose the cheap budget ones but one of the well known brand names.

I had a Dodge Caravan 2001 which I got rid of about a year ago when the body started to rust and I put in a new battery about 2 years before that. I think I bought it at Napa Auto Parts in the end but I remember it was far simpler then I thought it would be to change.

As you don't have a manual for your car, think about purchasing a Haynes Repair Manual for it. This company has been producing car manuals for years. A brilliant reference to have for any basic home maintenance as they lay things out simply and have lots of photos too.

Posted: 8/2/2012 4:27:47 AM
First as said a parts store can test it, pick the right size and install it free.

How this guy wired the radio MAY be pertinent if he connected any power source to the battery like a power booster.
Usually its alarms they do that with but you never know.
You could have blown or foiled fuses in there.

Have them test the alternator and starter also (but check the FUSES first)...it could be an issue

Your fuse box tells you what fuse goes to what.

A blown fuse thats 50 cents and not checked and changed can cause you to spend unnecessary money.

Hopefully its just a battery..good luck

ALWAYS check the simplest and least expensive things first or you will kick yourself.
 laskoboo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2012 4:38:58 AM
If your having someone put in a battery who does not know how to get the right battery, you better
think twice about it and go pay someone to put in the right battery so there are no explosions ( a battery can explode)
and they do not destroy the battery in putting it in.

Any battery store or anyplace that sells batteries can tell you which ones will fit your vehicle, hence if you have it put in yourself, you could end up with a broken battery or burned person.
 Hozo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2012 6:23:12 AM

Once you have your multimeter, turn off the car, disconnect the negative battery cable, set your multimeter to the 10 or 20 amp setting, and then measure the current between the negative battery cable, and negative battery post. If any devices are drawing power from the battery, it will show up here. If it's more than 25-50 milli-amps, then you definitely have a power loss somewhere. To find out where, you remove the fuses one by one, until the power loss jumps back down into the normal range. And whatever is running off that fuse is your culprit.

That is what it sounds like to me. It could be 3 things:

~There is a small power draw whilst the key is off. Something is drawing down the battery slowly.

~The battery is old & cannot hold a deep charge anymore. It will hold just enough to start the vehicle when used daily.

~The charging system/alternator is faulty and is not charging the battery. You will know this after driving the car, shutting it off, and trying to restart it. If the battery is dead after driving, it was depleted due to not being recharged during operation.

I have a 20 yr old convertible that has a small power draw somewhere. If I run it daily or a few times a week it stays charged. If it sits longer than a week, it draws dead. I cannot figure out for the life of me where it is coming from, so I installed an on/off battery post switch that disconnects the positive terminal . I simply lift the hood & turn the switch OFF when Im done driving it for a spell. $5 fix.
 AckAckJack
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/2/2012 6:47:56 AM
You're a smart lady Peppermint. Good advice.
I would only add that an easy way to test the alternator is to jump the car then disconnect the positive terminal to the battery. If the car dies, the alternator/voltage regulator is not putting out.
 raxarsr
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2012 8:26:37 AM
theres definately a drain in the system somewhere...........and i would check the old battery and make sure theres enough water in the cells

if you do need a new battery..spend the extra money and get as many "cold cranking amps" as possible

and definately check the alternator and voltage regulator
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/2/2012 8:48:05 AM
Msg 14 - Jack - "I would only add that an easy way to test the alternator is to jump the car then disconnect the positive terminal to the battery. If the car dies, the alternator/voltage regulator is not putting out."
This is really bad advice !!! Don't do it, especially on any vehicle with computers, which means from about 1980 forward.
Disconnecting battery cables on a running car makes sparks, and sparks make explosions in batteries. Major ouchy !! Do you really want that acid all over you and everything else? Not good. As well, disconnecting the battery causes major voltage spike, which can pop an engine computer. These are quite costly, so DON'T DO IT !!
There is a safe method to test your charging system, follow the procedure or else be prepared for major unhappiness.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Car Trouble -battery to be specific