Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Texting or Calling?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justinfamous
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Do most women prefer you to call or text them when you make initial contact? It seems that some are fine with texting, but then others get highly upset when you text initially. Just looking for a woman's perspective...comments, etc!
 nonameharbor1
Msg: 2
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 12:55:13 PM
I think an inital call is appropriate. Could throw in a few texts, but not a great habit.
I just had an experience with a texter...should have chatted more on the phone before I went on the date.
Just saying.
 laskoboo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 1:03:52 PM
Please don't text a mature woman of 30 plus and ask to date...
that is just too high schoolish.

Call her, talk on the phone. By the time your on the phone 20 minutes you may even figure out you
don;t want to meet her after all !
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 1:06:16 PM
I don't understand why what "most" women might do, has any possible application to how whatever woman you deal with might prefer. Are you writing a book report or something?
 Attercop
Msg: 5
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 1:30:16 PM
You could get really radical and as she gives you her #, ask each individual whether she has a preference?
 BeeBlossom
Msg: 6
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 2:55:05 PM
Ask them if you can call them and they'll say yes, text, or no.
 _shakti_
Msg: 7
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 3:48:46 PM
holycow:
Please don't text a mature woman of 30 plus and ask to date...
that is just too high schoolish.
That wouldn't apply to me, I enjoy texting myself.

Attercop:
You could get really radical and as she gives you her #, ask each individual whether she has a preference?
This seems too obvious to even need stating, but excellent suggestion.
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 3:55:27 PM

others get highly upset when you text initially.

if that's all it takes to 'highly upset' someone, you've learned something far more important than her communication preferences.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 9
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 5:18:35 PM
You mean "before" you: Facebook, skype, MSN, Tweet, and run all 3 full and conclusive background checks?

What's wrong with you man; you're risky!!

;P

===================================================================
 1972vintagegem
Msg: 10
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 5:26:03 PM
personally i need to hear the voice and feel the vibe of the conversation..i will know within 2 minutes of talking to a guy if it's worth meeting.
 D3liciouspot
Msg: 11
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 6:11:34 PM
Sometime women are shy to talk over the phone and texting can be an ice breaker. I myself don't mind either. If texting works then hey but eventually I want to hear the voice.
 countrygirl1077
Msg: 12
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 8:55:16 PM
With how shy I am I perfer to text a little before actual speaking...sometimes it's easier for me, I feel that I have kinda gotten a little idea of how a person can be, if it's a "1" word text for the whole text conversation I tend to think "oh boy" (I know that sometimes 1 word is all that can be said but c'mon..if I'm asked "can I text you" then I do expect it to not be while your at work or whatever) if the person can have someone of a decent conversation then sometimes when your able to speak it seems to flow more easily. Then sometimes when your texting with someone that is when the horns come out and they begin to ask all those questions they may be embarrassed to ask with their voice (I'm talking sexual..which by the way drive's me nuts)
 Pinky127
Msg: 13
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/5/2012 10:32:31 PM
Op,you could always text her and ask her when she's free to talk because you'd like to give her a call.
 Sailing78
Msg: 14
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:34:24 AM
Unless the girl tells me she prefers to text first, or arrange a meet through email/POF/etc or otherwise explicitly defines a course of communication, I assume that if she's willing to give me her phone number that she's ok with me calling her. That is why she in fact wanted to give me her number, so that we could talk for a bit and/or I could ask her out. That's the whole point of all of this...
 Sailing78
Msg: 15
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:39:38 AM

A text to see if its ok to call or to give her a heads up of hey this is so and so and this is my number so she doesn;t ignore your initial call could be a good thing.

I don't get this. If you have her PHONE number then give her a call. If it's a bad time of day for her to talk, call her back later or tell her to call back when she's got time. If she's busy and doesn't answer, leave a voice mail.

It's kind of a strange dichotomy: We live in such a connected world nowadays with our fancy phones and a dozen ways of communicating with someone, and yet we need to ask prior permission or feel sheepish calling someone who's given us their phone numer!
 Fifi47
Msg: 16
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/6/2012 8:33:15 AM
^^^^Some men seem petrified of actually talking to women on the phone. What if she should actually answer? It is so much easier to send text messages. They seem scared to talk on POF chat also.....Must have met some mean woman in their days or something,
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 17
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/6/2012 12:18:31 PM
Women also dont talk, or answer, after giving guys their number. I swear they give their number to show off to their husband, as interested men, or something.

Internet dating,these days, makea nosense to me.
 CharminC
Msg: 18
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/6/2012 12:48:51 PM
I understand many can be too shy but I truly wish people in general, those who can hear and converse , would appreciate the ability able to make that call!

I would give my left boob (yes, I said boob!) to able to clearly hear and talk with the men BEFORE meeting!
To hear their voice, their tone and determine their behavior from their speaking manner.
Also, it's definitely a form of romantic play. What you say and how you sound can greatly build chemistry.
And yet, it seems EVERYONE texts?!!!
My gosh people....... ......." just pick up the phone and CALL!" [from 'Flashdance']
 Fifi47
Msg: 19
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:02:15 PM
^^^ a good friend of mine is hearing impaired and Skype and texting know her well. If I don't respond to her text in like 4 minutes she sends another one or calls. She has to pay for every call since she has a disability plan. I can understand what she says on the phone (am a speech therapist), but many cannot. She has her cell phone attached to her hip now, lol.
 CharminC
Msg: 20
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:32:19 PM
She has her cell phone attached to her hip now

^^
I believe that is who we call a "text addict". This terms is can be applied to all with cells attached to their hips. Or... other bodyparts, lol .

Back to topic. Why not both? I believe it would be polite to make it a call first then perhaps, leave texting to brief comments for convenience's sake .
 crystalise
Msg: 21
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/7/2012 4:46:23 AM
Personally? Definitely a phone call. Nothing wrong with a few texts after the invite if you are fiming up dates, time or location, but do the inviting over the phone, After a few dates and you are getting on ok, mix it up with some texts, no problem
 _shakti_
Msg: 22
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/7/2012 7:51:29 AM
Just to clarify my own preference.. it isn't that I am shy, I have no issues conversing on the phone. And I historically would always have an actual phone conversation prior to a meet.. but for the day to day stuff? Send me a text, I have actually come to hate talking on the phone, it grates on my nerves. I feel it's invasive and most times- annoying. Plus, I feel like I need to book at least 4 hours off out of my life just to talk to someone that I could probably be out doing something with. In fact, the last person I met from here did not call me prior to the meet. We went straight from text to coffee and it went beautifully.

To each their own.
 abmccray
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/7/2012 8:40:01 AM

I have actually come to hate talking on the phone, it grates on my nerves. I feel it's invasive and most times- annoying.

Same here. I'm actively doing something, or multiple things every hour of every day. Talking on the phone is just too distracting unless I'm on a long highway drive or something, and actually impedes on whatever I'm doing at the time. Texts aren't intrusive at all in moderation, on the flip side. If I want to spend time with someone; I schedule it.
 RenegadePassionTrip69
Msg: 24
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/8/2012 8:48:05 AM
I prefer to hear their voice over the phone before asking to meetup with them but preliminary text messaging and photo exchanges are fine.
 AnnB72
Msg: 25
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/8/2012 1:58:37 PM
My views are the same as those expressed by Shakti.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Texting or Calling?