Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > UK chat / fun thread      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Forrest Grump
Msg: 7
view profile
History
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 24
view profile
History
UK chat / fun thread
Posted: 8/7/2012 10:57:49 AM
Although I do contribute to some of the fun threads, even when I know they are doomed to be deleted, I can understand why they are not allowed. For those of us who have been around here for a long time we can remember when the politics and religion threads we openly available and saw the absolute carnage that went on in there. It was absolutely vitriolic and abusive beyond imagination. The Mods had an absolute nightmare trying to keep things decent and readable. Every now and again they, the Mods, implement a zero tolerance to rule breeches and IMO it is both right and proper and absolutely necessary that they do that to keep order. The UK forum was no better at times than the politics / religion forums and some of the worst Trolls and serial women abusers resided in here, some until only quite recently.

This site is provided, for the main part, free of charge but it is still intended to make money for the owner Marcus. One of the most valuable assets he has are these forums and their value is increased exponetially by the ommission of banal chit chat and abusive posts. In the long term he will make far more money from these forums than he ever could from advertising or the paid parts of the site and he is right to maximise that value by implementing the rules that he does IMO..........
 Forrest Grump
Msg: 26
view profile
History
UK chat / fun thread
Posted: 8/8/2012 3:10:49 PM
x_kags_x Msg6

I don't think chatrooms are the answer

Sorry. I thought the Thread title was a bit of a give away.

x_kags_x Msg9

it IS a dating site... not a debating site.

The Rules make it clear that the Forum is a debating site. It specifically does not allow the type of List threads such as you describe as "fun threads".

OP

Having a separate forum for more "fun" topics would reduce the moderator workload

I really do not see that this is the case.

Is there anything we can actually do about this?

You can e-mail Admin, but I think you would be wasting your time.

csr@pof.com
 Forrest Grump
Msg: 30
view profile
History
UK chat / fun thread
Posted: 8/15/2012 1:42:41 PM
x_kags_x Msg29

Struggling to understand the difference between what I was proposing and the "Best Break up song" thread. This has been allowed to remain and is exactly the sort of thread I am talking about.

There are threads which don’t come to the attention of the MOD’s and remain on the site. I find (what you describe as) “fun” threads are a bit like watching daytime TV.( a feeling of wasted time).

This thread (quoted above) is really a continuation of
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts8858919.aspx

Good to see and maybe the issue has resolved itself.

I hope not. I don’t want to go to Page 4 before coming across a serious subject that I want to reply to.

( It would appear that you have left the premises. Good luck. )
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > UK chat / fun thread