Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > All I want is good conversation...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kursttie
Msg: 1
view profile
History
All I want is good conversation... Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
.. Is that too much to ask?

I'm tired of guys talking to me and say "Hi, u k?" All I want is someone who I can have a decent fun conversation with, am I asking for too much?

Well I've come here to find some like minded peolpe :)
 kursttie
Msg: 2
view profile
History
All I want is good conversation...
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:07:12 PM
It's so depressing, I've done exactly what you've done and leave the conversation wide open, write a long message and ask loads of questions but still nothing, and then they wonder why you didn't reply.

I'm very close to giving up!

Ha ha! I've never just had a phone number, what do they think you're going to do? Call them and have a nice little chat...? Hmmm, I do wonder sometimes.
 kursttie
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:12:19 PM
I'll have to take your word for it NonPlus, to be fair I don't talk to girls on this site, so I wouldn't know.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like I was hating men :P I can guess it's the same all round.

It's very frustrating!
 jamesr2012
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:26:14 PM
In your message settings you can stop any messages under x amount of words or characters, that should get rid of the text chatters. Mind you, I got a whole lot less messages when I did that. I had to take it off to reinflate my ego!

Hope that helps!
 kursttie
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:31:16 PM
Well I think I might just go ahead and let this thread die as it's getting the wrong kind of attention....

Thanks for all your posts those guys! At least I know it's not just guys that send 2 word messages and I'm not the only one who receives these messages :)
 kursttie
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:42:31 PM
I always reply to messages that guys have actually put some effort into.

I understand though that some girls/guys might want longer messages and never reply when they do, which is probably the reason why people dont send a huge message and think it's a big waste of time.
 kursttie
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:54:58 PM
I think I just get annoyed because I have spent ages on my profile and 'some guys' will send me a message saying 'Hi kursttie', when, if they read the first word on my profile, that is not how you would spell my name. I guess I just want someone to show that they have at least skim read my profile.
 drewcornwall
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2012 3:19:48 PM
Phew!..

Some times typing, is just too much bother, my tounge has no action. Fancy a phone call instead?

Oh wait... stop! LAW! , Do I need to be CRB checked?

Seriously, your going to have no problems..,
 badge73
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 1:17:53 AM

I'm tired of guys talking to me and say "Hi, u k?" All I want is someone who I can have a decent fun conversation with, am I asking for too much?

may i ask how many guys do you actually message first?

Oh, and regularly get messages with just a cell phone number and 'call me' - yeah right!

ever thought they might get bored of playing email tennis ....

most of the bints on here want to play endless emails and not realising its an actual dating site not something for them to use whilst waiting for there soaps to start, you see it on the profiles with keep me entertained or make me laugh etc though its good fun inboxing them numbers for a clowns act whilst saying this should do it for you! lol
 Tayfire
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:42:11 AM
The last message that was sent to me was just "hellow" LoL. I did reply and started a conversation but it seemed all one sided with one to two sentances in reply. I did ask if she fancied meeting up sometime? She replied it would? When i sent a message back how we could meet and 2 or 3 suggestions and if she fancied something else?She replied and chickened out.LoL.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:45:53 AM
^^^ thats a notable point, with rare exceptions, usually IF i get as far as getting replies, i`m trying to keep things rolling with at least 3 or 4 line messages, then getting one line back, often consisting of 3 or 4 words, that does make it difficult to keep up, and i tend to lose interest quite quickly if i have to make all the effort, it takes two ! :O)
 badge73
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 10:03:52 AM

Bints......Charming. I guess after a while on this site it gets tedious keeping up the facade of being a decent person. So reverting back to true form and name calling is where it's at?

rather tell the truth ...

so for you to generalise the women on here is bang out of order.

afraid not as guess which sex watches the soaps more?

Your comment about the messages I get with just a cell number - Im hardly going to phone a complete stranger, after having had no contact with him, just for a chat am I? Once we have exchanged a few messages, then yes, of course, we would have a phone chat.

so what can tell of a person after a "few" messages?

what about insulting people, is that ok?

who did i pacifically insult? feel free to report though with your rest of post has actually broke the rules of the forum but hey ho ....

The thread that was started by a guy, basically referring to the same thing, was removed swiftly. It's interesting to see that when a female starts this kind of thread it gets a lot more pats on the head.

I have written both kind of messages. The short and sweet "Hi, how are you. Liked your profile. Would you like to view mine and we could take it from there" To the messages that refer to specific points in their profile. They have an equal success rate. (And by success i mean they both get minimal response).

Swings and roundabouts.

exactly ....
 badge73
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 10:32:05 AM

well all of the females on this site I would imagine, by referring to us all as 'bints'!

I daresay that most of the other women on this site are not either. <--- remember saying that? so you imply there are "bints" on the site?

just because I am female, doesn't mean that I watch soaps - I don't!

keep stamping that foot .... you never know the earth might stop spinning.
 JakeJake92
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/7/2013 6:40:32 PM
hi I jake I'm not trying to pick you up as it were I just want a decent conversation with another human being who isn't a complete idiot. i mean I'm nothing close to a genius but for Pete sake has the world completely given up
 JakeJake92
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/7/2013 6:43:48 PM
I agree with you but I cyber space adds a bit of mystique to the experience. plus there are allot of weirdos in the world. granted hiding behind a computer may encourage cowardice it practically guarantees safety. but sadly verbal communication is a lost art
 ~Hams~
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2013 8:50:31 AM
Welcome to the forum Kursttie:-0)
We often have plenty of good conversation on here so stick around and just join in when a topic takes your fancy.
I have given up writing msgs to women on the dating side as it doesn't matter if you just say hi or write a long and funny email they never get replied back to what ever.
It didn't seem to be as bad as this on here a couple of years ago but a lot has changed due to the rise in popularity of social networking sites i feel.
Edit - I see that this was an old thread from last year but i still believe the post i wrote to be true.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2013 1:52:40 PM
To be honest, it's a mixed bag and not really anything to get overly worried about. I've had flirt messages (which I don't reply to), hi how are u? messages (which always get a "fine thanks" in return), as well as no replies. Sometimes though, you click with someone that makes the conversation flow really easily, and they're the keepers.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2013 4:20:08 PM
Is that too much to ask?

Well I've come here to find some like minded peolpe :)

It really is a two way thing. You are in charge of your conduct so why blame the opposite sex?
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2013 11:26:05 PM
^^^^ good for you popsy :O)
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2013 1:25:16 AM
That just goes to show how little that particular messager knows you, Pops, because if there's two things you aren't, it's desperate and ugly.

Don't get me wrong; I have continued a conversation after a hi, how r u? but it's unusual, especially if I'm really not that interested in their profile. You must have lucked out there, Pops. :o)
 TheRe-SownRose
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2013 2:12:44 AM

Sadly, there are currently a couple of forum members who think nothing of sending abusive inbox messages or setting up fake profiles of you if you say something they don't like. It says so much about them..

Indeed, how sad and lonely must a person be to resort to this kind of behaviour to get some attention?
Take no notice Pops.
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2013 11:09:40 PM
You have to admit it's a funny old world this internet dating malarky. Half the people on here can't get a reply to their messages for love nor money and the other half who do get them reject them because the person who sent it only said "Hi u OK?". You couldn't make it up, lol. I respond to any message I am lucky enough to get whatever it says. Some of my best chats on here have come from messages with little or no more than a single word in them.

The problem, IMO of course, is that to have a 'conversation', be it witty, cheeky, interesting or whatever, and do it successfully using the written word is quite a high demand on anyones writing skills. People today just don't write love letters in the way perhaps they once did so the skillset needed is now relatively uncommon. Forums are a good place to look for the kind of people who like you, love reading, writing and messaging in the way you want them too. Out there in the bigger pond though, they are a rare fish and very difficult to find let alone actually catch.

I've said a few times now that getting past the first message is the easy bit and this second part, woo-ing by words, is far far tougher. Writer seeking writer is quite a narrow search field to use when seeking romance IMO. I hope you are fortunate enough to find what you looking for OP, Good Luck ...........GP

vvvvv I hear what you are saying bud. That's another problem altogether, the vanishing trick. Sometimes after one message, sometimes after twenty then suddenly nothing, poof, gone, vanished. Tis a mystery indeed, lol. All part of the mad mad world of internet dating eh!, Hahaha
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2013 11:12:59 PM
^^^ GP, the last message i replied to a few days ago, had simply "hello"...

i replied.."hello there, how are you ? "..

and that was the last i heard from her !

something i said perhaps ? hahahaha :O)

edit ^^^^ oh she has`nt vanished , simply didnt reply hahahaha, nowt as queer as folk as they say :O)
 daver987654
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2013 7:09:31 AM

where did you all go.
 ~Hams~
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2013 7:09:41 AM
It doesn't look like there is going to be much good conversation on the forum for some time now the link has been removed.

Just when things on here were picking up and some new members were posting then this happens to throw a spanner into the works!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > All I want is good conversation...