Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Stressed men prefer bigger women?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aussiesealady
Msg: 1
Stressed men prefer bigger women?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The below is copied from ninemsn - an Australian internet news site.

Do we agree?
As it is on the internet it must be true.

British researchers have found that men who are in stressful situations rate larger sized women as more attractive.

The researchers from Newcastle University put 41 men in high-stress situations then measured how they judge potential partners.

When compared with a control group of 40 men who were not stressed, the researchers concluded that stressed men were more likely to go for women with a higher BMI.

"There's a lot of literature suggesting that our BMI [body mass index] preferences are hard-wired, but that's probably not true," co-author Dr Martin Tovee told BBC News.

Gallery: Relationship myth busters

Dr Tovee and his colleagues undertook the research to investigate whether cross-cultural preferences for body size were linked to stress.

"If you look at environments where food is scarce, people's preferences for body size in a potential partner are shifted. [The preference] appears to be much heavier compared to environments where there's plenty of food and a much more relaxed atmosphere," he explained.

"If you're living a far more stressful, subsistence lifestyle, you're going to have higher stress levels."

To create stress, the participants were put in interview and public speaking scenarios. The researchers noted that the change in stress levels made them more attracted to a wider range of body sizes, particularly larger women.

"These changes are comparatively minor in comparison to those you get between different [cross-cultural] environments. But they suggest certain factors which might combine with others and cause this shift," Dr Tovee said.

"If you follow people moving from low-resource areas to higher resource-areas, you find their preferences shift over the course of about 18 months. In evolutionary psychology terms, you try to fit your preferences to what works best in a particular environment."

Dr Tovee said this research shows that what is perceived by society as the "ideal" body shape could change if environmental conditions were altered.

"There's a continual pushing down of the ideal, but this preference is flexible. Changing the media, changing your lifestyle, all these things can change what you think is the ideal body size," he said.

Dr Simon Crisp, a clinical psychologist at Monash University, told ninemsn that the research is not surprising.

"Stress changes our mental state, it changes our brain chemistry, but it also changes the way we process information so the things we look for in a stressed state might be different to when we're not in a stressed state," he said.

Dr Crisp said individuals should acknowledge that external factors can influence who they are attracted to.

"In my clinical work I see people who talk about how they started relationships and often it's things that were going on for both of the parties that were quite influential as to why they chose to start the relationship," he said.

"Being a bit more self-aware of those things can perhaps help us make better and more lasting and more positive long term decisions about who to form relationships with."

The research was published in the journal Plos One.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 2
Stressed men prefer bigger women?
Posted: 8/9/2012 7:02:22 PM
I've read this on the BBC site and a couple of Canadian sites, too.

Hope it simply doesn't get turned into another 'fat bashing' thread.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/9/2012 7:05:07 PM
Could be....maybe stressed out men are just less picky?
I wonder if that is how women are when stressed.
I'm sure tons of nice guys are hoping that is the case.
:-P
 justlookingvt
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/9/2012 7:38:23 PM

"If you look at environments where food is scarce, people's preferences for body size in a potential partner are shifted. [The preference] appears to be much heavier compared to environments where there's plenty of food and a much more relaxed atmosphere,"

Sounds like a subconscious survival instinct at work.

It sounds a little bit like saying "Bedouins prefer camels over Toyotas".... not only I'd say it's probably true but, I'd also say it's quite logical. :-)
 badboy_transformed
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/9/2012 7:43:30 PM
Stress=drinking=beer goggles=bad decisions
 Fifi47
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/9/2012 7:47:30 PM
Yep, bad decision for the larger woman.
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/9/2012 8:34:21 PM
I was slender when I got married, and gained a LOT of weight.
He still loved me and was attracted to me.

Our love and commitment to our family and marriage went a lot deeper than body-type.
Horrible, I know. But thats true love for ya.
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/9/2012 8:49:25 PM
I really hope they did not spend a lot of money on this "research", lol, not to mention how many university are partially funded through donations...I would hate to think someone's hard earned money, went to this...
 surfaceofficer
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/9/2012 8:53:55 PM
And to think...all those stressful years in the Marines would've been 10 times easier if I'd just been porking Rosie O-Donnell.
 want to travel
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 9:38:46 AM
some large women are very very hot
some athletic women look like sht warmed over, some thin women look terrible ,sick,gross
bigger women, have curves are soft, and curvy
most are much happier
i am tiered of the double standards when it comes to them
this post and that study presumes there is somthing wrong, when a man loves curves, some people said that en are less picky lol
that just horrible,not everyone loves skiny, boney women
 OutMind
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/10/2012 9:46:03 AM
Really?

I was so stressed out in the last couple of years and was going out with a very skinny woman.

I guess I should demand my money back!!
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/10/2012 10:01:57 AM
I think I'm going through a mid life crisis...nothing to do with stress....move over skinny ladies....just sumthin sumthin about a bbw.....
 carolann0308
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 10:16:59 AM
Where is the study that says 'Women that are less stressed out are dating rich men'?
 INSTYLE9611
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/10/2012 10:48:20 AM
I don't think stress has anything to do with it.
Bad choices. No one tells you to eat like a pig.
But most of this country is obese No will power.
Being fat is bad for your health.My Ex has gained a lot of weight.kind of like the show
The biggest Loser.Anyways my point is not bashing you for being fat.
But to make better choices.If more people would start walking They would be headed in the right direction
DR.PHIL
 Love.Notes
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/10/2012 10:59:29 AM
So all the men messaging me are really just "stressed out"! ? ! hmmmm not so sure I like that. lol
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 12:01:33 PM
I thought stressed men liked career women with BIG paychecks and a huge sexual appetite regardless of weight.

My dumb...
 browneyesboo
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/10/2012 12:03:08 PM
I think when you're truly stressed out, certain things become minor things in the
scheme of things. Maybe stressed out people are meeting others in a setting that
makes for conversations and getting to know each other instead of picking people
based on their weight and/or looks.

I think there's a big difference between flipping through pictures and looking for someone
you might be compatible with and actually meeting people in real life and having real
life conversations that make you look at that person in a way that goes beyond the
physical. I think it's possible to be attracted to people you might otherwise not be
attracted to when the circumstances take you outside your normal comfort zone.

It's like being attracted to a teacher or colleague who impresses you with their humor
or intelligence. Or like having online friends that you enjoy, but had you met them in
real life first, you'd not have given them a second glance.

I do know that I've learned to never say never about most things. I've met people at work
that I've become close to because I interact with them. If I was flipping through pictures
of them or just saw them walking casually about, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't look at them twice.
I think the online business makes it possible to miss out on meeting some truly extraordinary
people for just this reason.

I don't think stress has anything to do with it.
Bad choices. No one tells you to eat like a pig.
But most of this country is obese No will power.
Being fat is bad for your health.My Ex has gained a lot of weight.kind of like the show
The biggest Loser.Anyways my point is not bashing you for being fat.
But to make better choices.If more people would start walking They would be headed in the right direction
DR.PHIL

What does this have to do with the OP?
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 12:05:42 PM
There are good evolutionary biology reasons why this is true in times of environmental stresses. That was explained in the article on livescience.com. However, it seems surprising to me that such a low and temporary level of stress would have this effect and be measurable.

Anyway, it suggests to me to not make signfiicant relationship decisions when stressed!
 MsGirlyMuscle
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/10/2012 12:06:41 PM
Geez, I am * big * and all I get are stupid men.....LOL Just kidding. On a serious note, I do not see how a stressed man would necessarily prefer a bigger woman? Really? I think men like women, just * like what they like.*
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 2:51:12 PM
My own somewhat prejudiced appreciation of this article/study, is suspicion.

I would want to see the educational history of the people conducting and guiding the study, and deciding what the results mean. In particular, since a fair number of Anthropologists already follow a belief that subsistence-level cultures tend to find corpulent females more desirable, I suspect that this existing belief on their part, might have led them to LOOK for the connection they claim to have "discovered."

The testing as described, sounds to be entirely dependent upon too many assumptions, and not enough accurately measurable responses from the subjects.

My personal fear about this? That the more gravitationally endowed among us, will join together and work to make the world a more stressful place, so that they can find dates more easily.
 Dolphina
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/10/2012 2:59:10 PM
I wonder if this is a "Mother effect": bigger woman feel like mothers; softer breasts, etc, for stressed men to feel comfortable with.

I doubt if there is a reverse attraction for women. Larger men would not conjure up a comfortable figure.
 want to travel
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 3:11:21 PM
i agrre , i want to see who, did this study and, what qualifies them
it just sound really stupid
our society put so much pressure on women that have a few extra ponds or are heavy
men that like them also get put down a lot
for one, i am tired of steriotypes that are being made by the media
men like larger women, cause they do
 Fifi47
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/10/2012 3:15:19 PM
all larger women do not have self esteem issues...
Some men like women of all shapes and sizes, these men are really rare.
Most of the men I have dated liked me for me..the few who liked me cause I am a bbw were sometimes Alpha males and sometimes laid back.
 ventti
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/10/2012 3:36:46 PM

I wonder if this is a "Mother effect": bigger woman feel like mothers; softer breasts, etc, for stressed men to feel comfortable with

I was thinking that as well. It fits in well with the hypothesis.
Also, perhaps, the assumption that a ''bigger'' woman would be less judgemental, less harsh...
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 3:54:15 PM
The biological basis is that in stressful times (scarcity of food, in particular), evolution predisposes men to choose mates who have the ability to conceive and bear a child, and those are the heavier women who will more likely survive a famine.

This evolved and unconscious predisposition hasn't gone away, though the stress triggers may be quite different and uncorrelated in modern times.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Stressed men prefer bigger women?