Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Truck buying advice      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Zuglo65
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Truck buying advicePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am looking to buy a pick up truck. Don't need a big dually with powerful engine, as I won't be hauling a boat, or using it to haul construction materials.
I have a few questions.
Those extended cabs. Just how much room is there really in the back?
I mean I know it won't be too comfortable for an average size adult, but maybe for short trips is OK?
Or should I go for a little bigger back seat, like a Chevy Silverado type?
Basically I am trying to get some advice on what type of pick up truck I should get for around $8000.00?
I do like the Chevy Silverado but V8 might be too big for me. Dodge Dakota looks good too.
Thanks.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 2
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/14/2012 4:39:37 AM
You just described my truck and that's the value of it right now. It's a Ford F-150 (2005). I'm also thinking of buying something else.
I have an extended cab ( mine's called a super cab) and it's plenty of room for adults in the back- mainly in the center is best, but fine for short trips. I've had 2 adults in the back for a 6-7 hour trip one way and it was fine. I like having the ability to haul a trailer and drive basically anywhere I need to- on land , etc.
When I looked at buying a truck, I looked at the king/ crew cab versions- not much more room and they cost about 10-15k more.
I had a Chevy Silverado- a 3/4 ton- and it was too big IMO- used a lot of gas. This one uses less gas- not great mpg, but better.
I like the Ford and I was told by good mechanics that it would last a long time with good care. It runs like a top and I've never had a problem with it- just regular maintenance.
 raxarsr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/14/2012 10:23:52 AM
i agree 100% with going with ford...brest trucks out there
there are 2 types of exyended cabs plis the 4 door king cab........the extended cab basically has jump seats.....the super cab a small bench seat

the extended can usually gives plenty of room..............as the previous poster said.....the supercab is more money for not too much more room...........plus........you get a supercab with a full length bed.....your talking about a mighty long vehicle........too long usually for a paralelle parking spot.........short beds are nice............depending on what you want to haul

but definatyely go with a ford
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 4
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/14/2012 10:49:05 AM
Zug - Trucks are for "stuff", cars are for "people".
You should choose your truck based on what kind, and how much, "stuff" you will be carrying, that dictates the size of the bed, and possibly also the weight rating.
Then, you can decide how many people you want to carry, and get the interior space that is appropriate.
As for brand, I would go for either Ford or Chevy, they are very similar in all aspects because they compete head-to-head for sales in the millions of units. I'm not such a huge fan of Dodge, although they do have an absolute killer Diesel motor, the Cummins turbo, which is a stellar powerplant.
Everybody has anecdotes about this truck or that one, I fix them every day, and they each have a few weaknesses.
Ford has been known to have alignment issues with the I-beam suspension, what this means to you is that "probably" the front tires will wear a little funny and need replacement sooner, aside from that the I-beams are extremely strong . Also Fords tend to have more wiring deterioration than GM's.
GM V-8's have had lots of intake and exhaust manifold repairs.
Nothing is perfect, and either brand will give you 2 to 300,000 miles of service, with decent maintenance, and professional diagnosis and repair when called for.
 Bishopboat
Msg: 5
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/14/2012 8:52:38 PM
The older the better
 Blalah
Msg: 6
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/14/2012 9:19:34 PM
Another vote for Ford. I got 260,000 miles on my V6 5 speed with the original motor and trans. Haven't changed the spark plugs in 10 years and it still purrs like a kitten.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 7
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/14/2012 10:16:09 PM
the towing capacity difference of the F-150 and 250 is only 500 lbs, and the gas mileage for the f 150 is better.

i usually check consumer report and consumer price guide to gain as much info as possible when buying another vehicle, as well as going by past experience- the ford is a good truck based on past experience ( and present)
 Bishopboat
Msg: 8
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/15/2012 4:24:07 AM
Okay, at this point it's clear that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, the advertised difference is anywhere from 500 to 1000 pounds. Good luck having that work in the real world.

You are correct, the gas millage on the F150 is better than the gas millage on the 5.4 and the V10... But that also tells me that you know nothing about engines because those are perhaps the worse engines Ford has ever made, to even consider getting one shows little to no knowledge on the subject. Diesel, or GTFO
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 9
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/15/2012 5:30:32 AM
You don't need to be rude . I'm entitled to my opinion just as you are. I get the difference in the engines. I'm simply saying that I used both and can pull about the same amount with both, and didn't get into the engines because I could care less. I shared what I did IRL. If one engine has a bit more torque I'm not going to push it to the limit just so I can haul a bit more.
I can also have an opinion without having to know a great deal about cars like most men seem to know about.
I will say that I've used both and that I can pull about the same amount with both ( without taxing the system).
As far as not knowing about engines because you feel they're perhaps the worst ever made- that's your opinion.
It's been a good truck for 7 years without any issues whatsoever.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 10
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/15/2012 11:18:31 AM
The 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton argument is useless, except in generalities. The makers make different versions of each type, with different springs and axles, each having it's own weight carrying ability. So you can get a beefed-up 1/2 ton or a wimpy 3/4 ton, just with factory option packages.
So,,, when you scope out a used truck, take a look at the "build sheet", it will be glued to the body somewhere, and it's an important reference. It has codes for all important parts of the vehicle, and it will tell you exactly what you have.
2 things I haven't seen mentioned here are ride comfort and insurance cost. A higher GVW truck will cost more to insure(and register) because they assume you are going to haul more stuff, and in general, a higher GVW truck will have a stiffer ride, which may or may not appeal to you.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 11
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/15/2012 11:32:30 AM
Chevy does have a V6 305 engine out there if you can find one. A lot better on fuel than the V8.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 12
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/15/2012 1:50:04 PM
GreenThumbz18- I agree with your post. Thank you for having the words that I was trying to find when you said that the 1/2 and 3/4 ton argument is useless except in generalities. The beefed up 1/2 ton is what I'm referring to in general.
One reason I prefer the 1/2 ton Ford F-150 is that I like the size of it better- basically it's easy for me to get in and out of- and it's a much more comfortable ride to me. I have mud tires on it but they are the kind that have a smooth ride.
The insurance cost is also a bit less than the 3/4 ton was- mainly because the cost/ value is less I would think. So overall, it does what I need it to do- drive all over land (I'm a real estate investor and realtor, and I invest in land) and haul what I need to haul ( Utility trailers with ranch equipment and horse trailers in the not-so-distant past- just utility trailers with stuff on it now).
I never knew about the 'build sheet'- good to know.
 ohenryx
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/15/2012 2:06:48 PM
I have owned many, many trucks over the course of my life. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and even a Toyota. If you're talking new trucks, they are all good. If you're looking at 4 or 5 year old models, the Ford F150 is weak, their engines were not up to snuff, and you can tell the difference. Their new models, especially the turbo-charged V6, are very nice, and very competitive once again.

Whoever said that used trucks are cheap must not be from around here. In Texas, used trucks are quite a bit more expensive than used cars. The choice between a half ton and a three quarter ton should be based on what you intend to use it for. I bought a new Chevrolet half ton last year, went with the crew cab with the true 4 doors. The difference in cost between the super cab (with suicide doors in the rear), and the crew cab, with 4 true doors, was only $1,500. It comes down to whether you want more room inside the cab or in the cargo area.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/17/2012 3:57:00 AM

For future reference, these threads need to be posted in the "ask a man" forum.

Well, I thought about it, but when I looked the threads there all I saw women asking why the man does this, or that, why won't he call, does he wants more, etc., so basically questions about relationship.
So off topic fit better, and apparently the mods didn't have a problem being in the wrong forum.

Thanks for all the responds good people of the forum.

@Notdating your knowledge is impressive to me, a hot blonde in a pick up truck? Mmm..
Thought about the Ford, know someone who has a 150 extended cab, sat in the back, and wasn't comfortable.
And I am only 5'10. Guess short trip would be OK. That F-150 has over 200.000 miles on it, runs great.
He let me drove it, it was a manual, and the seat was in the way of my shifting. Other than that it was great.
But Ford just don't have the look, if that makes sense, and I read bad reviews about the engine, and MPG.
I don't care about the towing capacity I won't be towing anything regularly.

@Greenthumbz, I agree 100% about no truck will be perfect, and regular maintenance is the key.

Little surprise the negative comment on Dodge Dakota, and Ford Ranger.
Those got pretty good reviews on the Internet.
I read about the Chevy Colorado having bad mpg.
But than again, I kind of think it's depending on how you drive too, right?
I am going into a pick up truck from the Toyota Corolla. So, yeah, I KNOW the MPG will be a huge difference.
I guess I was more interested who drives what, and would they buy another one, or who knows someone who drives a truck and what he/she thinks of it, etc.
I am more and more thinking Chevy Silverado 1500. One guy has 287.000 miles, the other has 187.000 miles, great room in the back, looks good, not too big, not too small, and gets about 20 MPG. Great reviews too.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 15
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/17/2012 10:48:11 AM
From a comfort and safety standpoint you can't go wrong with either the Ford or GM fullsized truck. Most small cars will try to avoid hitting you, which IS something to consider. Also you sit rather high up, so you have great visibility.
On the other hand, small pickups are tremendously popular, so there must be a reason why that is so.
I say buy what you like,,, it's a personal choice.

Below- At 180,000 miles, I think you got your money's worth on those plugs :)
The 4.3 V-6 was a cut-down 5.7 ,,, these days those would be large clunker motors, now everything is smaller but more sophisticated. The 4.3 was nice, though, because most of the parts were the same as the V-8, which made life easy for us greasy types.
 robin-hood
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/17/2012 3:22:39 PM
For a light truck, buy a Toyota Tacoma. You won't be sorry. The 4-cyl got some zip, but the 6-cyl holds its value better.
Ive had the Ford 150 when it was a true 1/2 ton 4-WD with granny gear, transfer case, and hub lock outs. The interior fell apart in 8-yrs. I now have a 2006 chevy duramax extended cab 8-ft bed (bought used) in 2009, but would have bought toyota if I needed a light duty truck.

Getting that extra space in the back is great, so I don't need to keep moving my whatever stuff.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 17
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/17/2012 9:04:02 PM
I had a Ford F-150 Super Crew with four doors and the full back seat, and it was awesome. Reliable, and if they do have any repairs, they are easy and cheap to fix because there are so many of those on the road.
 squeak077
Msg: 18
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/18/2012 6:32:30 AM
I worked pipelines in the past see these guys with the new toyota tundra and i hear they are great rigs my uncle has one and has driven all over the states since retirement.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/18/2012 7:51:58 AM
I do like those Toyotas..But they are expensive.
Anyone has an opinion on the Chevy Silverado?

There's nothing wrong with the Ranger or other small trucks. But fuel economy is 22-25 mpg at best

I would be OK with that.
 ohenryx
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/18/2012 8:01:22 PM

I do like those Toyotas..But they are expensive.
Anyone has an opinion on the Chevy Silverado?

In the half ton size, the Toyota is the most expensive. They are nice, my friend who owns one obviously thinks it is worth it. I myself went with the Chevy Silverado, primarily because I could get the best deal (by quite a bit) on the Chevy. A similarly equipped Ford was about $3k more, and Toyota about $6k more. Talking new here, not used. I have had my new Silverado for about 10 months, and I am quite pleased with it.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/19/2012 6:08:11 AM
Ohenryx I have yet to hear anything bad about the Chevy Silverado for those who has/had one.
Very comfortable even in the back. Those extended cabs almost like a crew cab.
And as you said they cheaper.
 sltdakota
Msg: 22
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/19/2012 5:27:46 PM
Then let anyone tell you what to buy. Just go test drive every model truck your possibly interested in, determine which one you like the most and find the most cleanest example you can find for your money. Remember its your hard earned money dont let anyone tell you you need an f250 when all you want is a ranger.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/19/2012 5:54:15 PM
^^I am not letting anyone tell me what to buy.
I know there are hard core Ford guys, Chevy guys, they swear the truck their driving is the best.
I spent a few hours on the weekend.
Sat in a Ford F150..Meh..
Sat in a Dodge Ram..Liked that one better. It will take time, that's for sure.
Wonder where will I store the jack, oil, antifreeze, etc?
 Zuglo65
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Truck buying advice
Posted: 8/20/2012 4:37:02 AM
There were times when I wish I had a truck, for example when I bough a bed for my daughter, or moved.
Basically I just like them to be there when I need to haul something, and I just like them overall.
I also like SUV type, had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, it was good to me until something happened with a front end, took it to Midas, and it went downhill from there. They just couldn't fix it, it was never a same.
Bouncing all over the road, took it back many times, was told it's something else, blah blah.
To me it was unsafe to drive it, took it to a dealer to see if I can trade it in for something, and he gave me a price that quite honestly floored me, so I got the Toyota Corolla. But a few months into it, I was missing the room, the power.

I have another vehicle.
Won't be a whole lots of miles , less then 10.000 a year.
With my price range, it will be older truck, unless I get lucky and someone just wants to get rid of one.
Not a mechanic at all.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Truck buying advice