Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > dangers of riding without a helmet      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HaloKitty
Msg: 2
view profile
History
dangers of riding without a helmetPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Sympathy for the children and the wife. No sympathy for the deceased. I'm sure he was a loving father and all that, but stupid is as stupid does.
 tjl503
Msg: 4
dangers of riding without a helmet
Posted: 8/16/2012 1:50:40 PM
I never wore a helmet when I was younger because I thought it didn't look cool. After falling hard on my skateboard on my head once I reconsidered using one. As you get older and wiser you start thinking about protecting your body..

This link is supposedly the "helmet of the future". An airbag helmet. I'm a little skeptical about it but they are winning designer awards for it. Check out the video on this page.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/may/22/airbag-bike-helmet-way-forward
 AddHomonym
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/18/2012 9:21:01 AM
I just read about the "invisible helmet" last week as well. They are quite expensive at this point but pretty cool all the same.

Personally, I never liked helmets. Growing up, it was never a concern and despite getting knocked around a lot, it was never an issue. I hated my helmet when I was in the military but I wore it dutifully for obvious reasons. Helmets are annoying.

Those who seek to force others to comply to their beliefs bother me even more. Why is it that you folks haven't tried to make wearing helmets in the shower a mandatory law? You do realize that our bathrooms are the deadliest place any of us are likely to find ourselves in, don't you? You are far more likely to hit your head dangerously in your bathroom than riding your bike in heavy traffic.

Why do you take your helmet off when you park your bike? The dangers of getting a head injury don't go away once you lock up your bicycle - don't you know that some of us will resent spending our taxes on your hospital stay, simply because you couldn't be bothered to wear your helmet at all times?

Since I can't stand hearing from the zealots who like to dictate how others live their lives, I simply avoid doing things that require the wearing of helmets.

Kids need to wear helmets. Their skulls are softer and still developing - this is absolutely mandatory, I agree with that. The problem is, you couldn't get kids to wear helmets unless you also force the adults to do it. That's why I usually keep my seditious, helmet hating opinions to myself.
 HaloKitty
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2012 1:28:58 PM
............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`
 pageforyou
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/21/2012 8:26:02 AM
I love that graphic of yours, Kitty! Almost says it all.

Here's the rest.
Concerned and responsible people are rarely zealots!
Why go so black and white and consider the info NOT that you are being "told" to do something.
Which is part of life. Seems to be a trigger to do just the opposite if you dig that "rebel" shtick!
Growing up, in this case, simply means considering others when the loss of you is at stake.
Mom and loved ones are the ones who will lose and live with it if you survive to be brain damaged
or don't survive.

How cool is dead or having someone change your diapers for the rest of your life?
How mean is it if it ends up being someone you love? Which is the most likely scenario.
A moment of vanity for a potential of a lifetime of hell for someone else!
So many cool things for you to do that won't hurt you and stand to make a difference!
Rebellious stuff too!
Stuff that could change things even YOU don't like.
But that's work!
NOT wearing a helmet is non effort and only a statement and only a statement to you.

If you survive without incident while not wearing a helmet you are lucky and luck usually endures via preparation meets opportunity. ; )

Then there are the medical costs which we all share. How arrogant and cavalier for a cyclist to say it's ONLY their business. We will all pay, especially those of us who rarely use the medical system because we TAKE CARE OF OURSELVES with appropriate precautions. ; ) And rebel where it counts! : P
 worth_the_effort
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/22/2012 4:35:49 PM
Wow. Wearing a helmet isn't a matter of imposing a belief system on others. It's a matter of safety and frankly, if YOU have an accident and aren't wearing a helmet you can become a drain on the health system that I pay for. I ride bikes and horses..and yeah, when I was a kid I didn't wear a helmet for either..and then I grew up. Obviously there are risks in walking down the street as well, but I'm willing to bet the forward momentum you generate by walking isn't anywhere near what you generate on a bike or I do on a horse. Comparing walking to riding anything is apples to oranges.
When I see some git cycling or riding or skateboarding etc without a helmet, my first thought is 'cleansing the gene pool'.

Regarding the story, it reminds me of a tv ad for boating safety. 2 kids, wearing lifejackets, sitting alone in a dingy. Whatever adult was with them wasn't wearing a pfd and went overboard. Same principle.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/22/2012 5:10:44 PM
My only point is that the arguments presented are absurd. Concern for health care costs or avoiding risk have little or nothing to do with it. How far do we take these arguments? Where does it stop? Where is the line between personal freedoms and the deeply impassioned viewpoints of others?

This isn't even really about just helmets either. The exact same arguments are used every time the zealots cry out. It's not always a bad thing and often I tend to agree with the efforts myself. Seatbelts, leaded gasoline, catalytic converters, baby seats, etc. The troublesome part for me is that it goes far beyond safety issues that affect others.

When it becomes about your perfume, the food you pack for your kids lunches, whether you choose to smoke or not, where and how you worship and all the rest, a disturbing pattern appears. I think it's important for people to speak up about things they would like to see change. I also think it's important to limit state control over each of us as much as possible. Like my T-Shirt says, "You are entitled to your wrong opinion".

This includes people who don't want to wear helmets too.

The way I see it, zealots of all stripes share a fundamental lack of respect for others. Ultimately, I blame religion. It's the same concept as "converting heathens" at work in a (not so) secular society. "They" don't know any better so we'll force them to comply for their own good. Sure they grumble and complain now but eventually they will thank us for it.

This heathen is becoming increasingly resentful of rampant zealotry.
 worth_the_effort
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:24:20 AM
I agree that you can't always protect people from themselves, but you should at least try to protect those who have children relying on them (parents who are too stupid to think ahead and protect themselves). You're seriously objecting to baby seats? If there were a guarantee that all parents had 4 brain cells to rub together, it wouldn't need to be regulated, but there are an awful lot of people reproducing who don't have any common sense. As for smoking, since you brought it up. I could care less if someone wants to do that to themselves, but they sure as hell don't have the right to do damage to others' lungs in the process. So do it in their own home, in their own car (unless children are present), but NOT where it's going to impact MY health or anyone else's.
The problem is that you can't have one set of rules/or laws for one scenario and something different for another. Personally, I'm okay with erring on the side of caution.
Not the same thing as organized religion at all. The religion example you use relates to imagined dangers, not real ones. There's an enormous difference between a belief system and the realities of injuries/fatalities.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:44:02 AM
It's not always a bad thing and often I tend to agree with the efforts myself. Seatbelts, leaded gasoline, catalytic converters, baby seats, etc. The troublesome part for me is that it goes far beyond safety issues that affect others.

These are examples of changes I agree with.

worth, I'm certain that you are comfortable "erring on the side of caution" but only as long as you get to stand behind the bullies and get to choose which issues are worthy of your "concern".

Personally, I'm much more "concerned" with alcohol abuse, an overabundance of cars, violence against women, corporate greed, industrial devastation of our environment and governments that serve private interests over the public good. It's too bad that all these "concerned" people would rather insult and control their neighbours rather than stand up and fight for something important.

This is a thread about helmets though. I'm just one guy who has a different viewpoint.
 Walts
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/23/2012 5:06:24 PM

It's not always a bad thing and often I tend to agree with the efforts myself. Seatbelts, leaded gasoline, catalytic converters, baby seats, etc. The troublesome part for me is that it goes far beyond safety issues that affect others.

These are examples of changes I agree with.

Our goverments still had to make "laws" for the majority to actually use seat belts,eliminate the lead, put a kid in a baby seat,etc. I don't know. If I had a brain and wanted to protect it, I would use a helmet. I say phuck the laws and elminate the dummies. Nowwwwwwww, that WOULD be cool!!!!!!
 4x4+geek
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 11:47:54 PM
I grew up, without a helmet, on a bike. I only started wearing one because it was the law and, of course, I didn't like it. I have however, since changed my mind (not that the new one works much better).

The past 40+ years has seen a dramatic increase in traffic volume, driver distractions and vehicle horsepower. The bad drivers are still around and, there are more of them. I've been run off the road enough times and, have know enough other cyclists who have been in accidents to cause me now, to voluntarily wear the bucket, just as I do my seat-belt. In fact, I feel uncomfortable without it.

Still, I sometimes wonder how I survived until now if I did so many "irresponsibly unsafe" things in my youth. Maybe I wouldn't have, had they had mountain bikes back then!
 AddHomonym
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/24/2012 10:43:10 AM
If China has over a billion people and many of those people ride bicycles every day as their main mode of transportation, why aren't they wearing any helmets?

The way some of you folks are talking, the streets of Beijing must be drowning in the corpses of stupid cyclists.

The fact that this isn't the case tells me one thing: This helmet wearing issue has nothing to do with health and safety. Chinese mothers love their children just as much as you or I do. Most of your helmets are made cheaply in China so it isn't as if they don't have access to the technology.
 Walts
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/24/2012 4:12:42 PM

If China has over a billion people and many of those people ride bicycles every day as their main mode of transportation, why aren't they wearing any helmets?

Cause they don't really care one way or the other if a hundred,a thousand, or even a million people die????? Or is it that the bikes are going faster than the automobiles. Think about it. You are comparing apples to oranges. Have you been to China???? How about India????? Ya wonder why some of these imigrants have a tough time when entering this country????? Don't worry about it, whitey will be having a tough time soon. Value of life. Quite different in different countries.
 Simplekindofman82
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 10:46:29 AM
I have had 4 major concussions(with a fullface helmet)...wear your helmet people!!
 Googleplus
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/27/2012 12:40:06 AM

The way some of you folks are talking, the streets of Beijing must be drowning in the corpses of stupid cyclists.

The fact that this isn't the case tells me one thing: This helmet wearing issue has nothing to do with health and safety. Chinese mothers love their children just as much as you or I do. Most of your helmets are made cheaply in China so it isn't as if they don't have access to the technology.

I think you're wrong there. In China how many people actually drive a car? Most can't afford to drive so there's more bikes than cars. In Canada cities have tons of cars and they go fast. Maybe the Chinese drivers are better drivers? Maybe they can't go as fast. I have biked 8 years straight and never worse a helmet although I bought one. When I get back to biking again I will wear my helmet. Try going 100 km/hr without a helmet and crash.
 PeakChaser
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/27/2012 7:07:51 PM
I think you're wrong there. In China how many people actually drive a car? Most can't afford to drive so there's more bikes than cars. In Canada cities have tons of cars and they go fast. Maybe the Chinese drivers are better drivers? Maybe they can't go as fast. I have biked 8 years straight and never worse a helmet although I bought one. When I get back to biking again I will wear my helmet. Try going 100 km/hr without a helmet and crash.

Are you kidding, or are you just not following news?

In 2009, 70% BMW and Mercedes went to Chinese. 70% of Porsche's world sales in 2010 and 80% of Rolls Royces annual sales goes to China. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo get most of their Businesses from Chinese clients. In Canada, there are 12 current-generation Rolls Royces, 8 of which are government-owned, used to receive foreign dignataries. Some Chinese people have 10 - 20 cars in their garages, parked in 10 - 20 different apartments or houses. The reason why Europe is not in a shit-hole Economically speaking is because Chinese people are buying most of their crap.

People here are careless with their lives. People cross the street without looking both ways and just dash, expecting drivers to be careful and entrusting the safety of their own lives in the hands of drivers. In Japan, if you cross the street without looking both ways and you die, you have to cover the insurance premiums of the damage your body does to the car. And that country's economy is superior to Canada, and has a greater population.

There's your buzzkill. People can ride without a helmet if they want. Just look both ways. Chinese people rarely die in bicycle accidents. Why? Because we look both ways and dodge cars like the plague. Stop putting YOUR life in the hands of drivers and other people. Some crazy ass man who just broke up with his girlfriend whilst driving a 4X4 might just have an axe to grind.
 EharmonySucks77
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2012 11:11:04 PM
The problem is it depends on what kind of helmet he was wearing just as much as if he was wearing one. So far in BC the chance of getting a head injury has gone up since the introduction of the helmet law, and somepeople are trying to get it removed.

I wear my helmet when when ride but sometimes it isn't a clear case of should have had a helmet or should have had a proper, not normal bike, helmet.

And remember. In BC more people get head injuries from falling while walking than from falling while riding.

Buy a skate helmet or a full face.
 4x4+geek
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2012 11:59:45 PM
"And remember. In BC more people get head injuries from falling while walking than from falling while riding. "

This information is, at best, useless and at worst misleading in the context because almost everyone spends more time walking than cycling (about 55% of Vancouverites don't ride at all). Furthermore, the statistic could be skewed by the inclusion of a far greater ratio of frail people, who would most likely fall and suffer a head injury while walking, in the "walking" group than the "cycling" one.

Interesting articles:

http://www.bcmj.org/council-health-promotion/bike-helmets%E2%80%94can-we-improve-good-thing
Bike helmets—Can we improve on a good thing?
Issue: BCMJ, Vol. 50, No. 10, December 2008, page(s) 571 Council on Health Promotion
Lloyd Oppel, MD, MHSc, FCFP(Em)
In Canada, roughly 50 children die each year from bike accidents, with 75% due to head injuries.[1] In 1996, British Columbia became the first province to implement legislation requiring children and adults to wear helmets when riding a bike. Helmets are known to reduce the chance of serious head injury by 70% or more.[2]
A survey by MacPherson in 2002 examined 9700 bicycle-related hospital admissions across Canada. Results showed that in provinces with helmet regulations, childhood head injuries fell by 45%. In those provinces with no regulations in place, there was a 27% decrease in head injuries.[3] These results are supported by a 2008 Coch­rane review of North American studies.[4] Most importantly, helmet legislation is associated with fewer deaths due to bike-related head injuries. Wesson and colleagues showed a 52% reduction in childhood deaths (one life saved every 8 weeks) in Ontario after the province implemented helmet legislation.[5]

The economics seem to make good sense, too. It is estimated that every dollar spent on bike helmets saves $30 in indirect medical costs.[6,7]

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Cycling+Vancouver+still+risky+business+ICBC/6314901/story.html
Cycling in Vancouver can still be a risky business: ICBC
By KELLY SINOSKI, Vancouver Sun March 17, 2012
 EharmonySucks77
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 12:41:48 AM
The point i was trying to make is that statistics are useless without the full numbers. Head injuries in BC have fallen since the law has come in, but grown in proportion to the amount of riders, that means on a 1 to 1 basis more people are getting hurt now.

And the standard bike helmets should be tossed out and changed up. The "Skate" Helment or any helmet that goes below the level of the ear is a good idea. Just look at bmx racers or mountain bikers. None of the serious ones wear the standard helmet but skate helmets or even full face ones. Which I think is a good idea.

Forced helmet laws lower the amount of people riding their bikes, It is a proven fact and there is no way around it. However on ski hills where helmets are not mandatory, more and more kids and adults are wearing helmets. I think biking will move the same way.
 Googleplus
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/6/2012 9:58:13 AM
In 2009, 70% BMW and Mercedes went to Chinese. 70% of Porsche's world sales in 2010 and 80% of Rolls Royces annual sales goes to China. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo get most of their Businesses from Chinese clients. In Canada, there are 12 current-generation Rolls Royces, 8 of which are government-owned, used to receive foreign dignataries. Some Chinese people have 10 - 20 cars in their garages, parked in 10 - 20 different apartments or houses. The reason why Europe is not in a shit-hole Economically speaking is because Chinese people are buying most of their crap.

China has about 4 times the population of USA and more than 20 times population of Canada. You are talking about still a minority of people that drive in China.
Of course this is slowly changing.
 Apifany
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/10/2012 1:13:13 AM
What was it that Morgan Freeman said to Jim Carrey in the show "Almighty Bruce"? I believe it was something along the lines of, " you can change everything but free will."
Yes, it is sad that people make mistakes and die. I imaging some parents are killed or just pass away in front of their
children every day on this planet of some seven billion people. Although the question proposed on this forum is law.
Yes we have laws. Many many laws.
I like most people follow the law as we understand it. Do we take advantage of a law in certain situations? Of course.
Think of driving and how many laws are associated with it and what ones we may have bent a little.
When I was a younger man we did not have helmet laws for a while in B.C. This just happened to be the time that I was learning to ride motorcycles. Today I am required by law to wear a certified helmet but every now and again I enjoy reliving the old days. There are risks. Same as in extreme sports. If caught I pay a fine. This, is my free will.
We all are responsible to create a just and free society. Do we want to live in a police state?
Regarding the poor fellow who pasted way because he fell of his bike and banged his head. We can show sympathy for the family for their loss and feel the happiness the individual experienced riding his bike with his kids before the accident. He rode his bike with out a helmet with knowledge of a law and chose not too.
That is free will
 Googleplus
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/13/2012 9:18:06 PM

By 2010, 55 million vehicles will be running on China's roads, the car ownership ratio will rise to 40 cars for every 1,000 Chinese citizens, and the annual production will soar to 9 million, predicted by Li Gang with the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC).

As the third-largest car market in the world, the average number of cars owned by every 1000 citizens is currently only 24, compared with over 700 in the US and the world average of 120.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2010/11/02/504280.html

Canada has nearly 600 cars per 1000 population.

http://www.economist.com/node/12714391?story_id=12714391&source=features_box4

China still has catching up to do.
 BassOfFire
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/16/2012 12:12:27 AM
My biking accident two years ago left me with a broken shoulder and hip which is probably what I'd rather have than a concussion, broken neck or death. I don't bike without my helmet.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/19/2012 10:55:25 PM
i was SURE this thread was about rubbers.

k.w.
hates rubbers

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 incorruptible
Msg: 27
Posted: 10/19/2012 9:18:25 PM
No kidding... I went down pretty hard 3 weeks ago, landed on my shoulder and broke my collarbone. I vaguely remembered hitting the ground with my helmet, but on first inspection, it seemed OK. When I got home I looked at it more closely and it was severely cracked. I'll take that over a cracked skull any day.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > dangers of riding without a helmet