Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Bizarro response      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FireMon
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Bizarro responsePage 1 of 1    
I got a bizarro response from an otherwise friendly exchange and am curious what your theories may be for the reason behind it. I apologize for this being such a long exchange that might take you a whole 3 minutes to read. /snark

my profile states this:
I am not a nice girl. I do not care for idle chitchat. I do not like people. I don't drink coffee, so don't ask.
It was suggested by an acquaintance that I try my hand at writing a brutally "honest" profile instead of just monologuing about how wonderful I am. Here goes:
I'm self-centered, emotionally aloof, usually arrogant, and like to be worshiped. I'm narcissistic, and for very good reasons, but on the occasional day of self-doubt, I will demand to be told nice things about me. I'm about 10 pounds overweight and, consequently, bursting bustiers. Yes, plural. I often fail to filter my snark. And clearly, I've missed the whole point of this exercise.

First message from JackAss: Good luck to you! You are brutally honest
I can respect and admire that!
I live in San Antonio which is probably too far from Allen to meet but had to respond to your profile as it is most unusual! I'm also probably too old or too
poor for you at 44 if you seek generous men!
I'm a writer and conversationalist with strong
opinions.
Two Questions: What does your BF think of you meeting guys by yourself? Last, "snark" is like "speech" right?
Auburn is a great hair color too! I used to be involved in SCA when you were a baby-sucks getting old! You really look HW proportianate to me by the way, quite beautiful actually!
One thing about being older though we know we aren't God's gift to women and have a sense of gratitude when we date a girl we can't easily interest due to being older and over the hill!
Last questions: What are your real hobbies
beyond Ren Faire activities? Any favorite
authors? What are your political opinions?
Feel free to monologue too! I like animals in general but have a special affinity for dogs!
Feel free to comment on that!
Fact is, I would love to have a long series of conversations with you leading to a meeting at
mutually agreeable locale based on distance and
eat some curry with you. Admittedly, worshiping your nude body would be a future desire and
enjoying your chest that I assume is what
busts bustiers, right? I don't wear female
clothing so don't quite know what that is for
sure!
Cheers!
D---

Me: My goodness! You sound so excited!

I'm a little jealous that you live in San Antonio because I love the food down there but haven't been in a very long time. And to be honest, I'm too poor for myself even, so it wouldn't be fair of me to judge others on that.

My boyfriend likes the idea of my meeting other people (men, women, and couples, not just guys) in theory because he wants me to find someone I can be happy with and who can give me more time and attention than he can. In practice, though, he understands that dating only ever disappoints and frustrates me, and he worries a little about my safety because I get so many messages from so many creeps and had been harassed by a man I met earlier this year. (So of course you'll understand that I'm very hesitant to meet people now.)

Snark is a near-synonym for sarcasm, but is often mean-spirited.

I hope getting old isn't all bad. That 86-year-old German lady gymnast is kind of my hero.
Thank you for the compliments. My "overweight" comment was based on the accepted standard of BMI, which is outdated and useless, though clinicians are slow to realize it.

I don't participate in any ren faire activities outside of attending Scarborough once a year. Belly dance and fire spinning are my real hobbies. But in addition to that, I like to spend a lot of time exercising - swim, dance, running, weight training, etc.

I was an avid reader all my life until this last year or so. Something about editing documents for 8 or 9 hours a day kills my desire to read another word at the end of the day. My favorite authors, though, are Neil Gaiman, Christopher Moore, Chuck Palahiuk, Kurt Vonnegut, and Rumi.

My political opinions are typical of any poor, young, white, college-educated woman: pro marriage equality and reproductive rights, against frivolous military and drug war spending. I'm excited to see progress being made toward more inclusive health care coverage and hopeful that the problems with the ACA can be ironed out before it's fully implemented. However, I'm not sure that I'll be voting this fall because I live in a red county in a red state, so what's the point? I can probably find something much more productive to do with my time on election day.

I think I'm equally fond of cats and dogs. My roommates have 3 cats and won't allow any more animals in the house, which is fine by me. Someday I'd like to get a dog that I could take jogging with me, but that's a long way off since I work long days.

Your profile says you've traveled a lot - where to?

I'm open to talking but the rest is way too forward and really off-putting for a first contact.

JackAss: You and I have little in common! Thank you for responding and yes, you are insulting and not very nice actually!
Farewell! I will block you now after saying that a white girl should know better than to like Obama! You really aren't as bright as you look!
Bye!
DJ

I was feeling vindictive, so I responded from another account:
You're the only one who's said anything insulting in our exchanges, Jackass. I went rather out of my way to kindly respond to the unsolicited presumptuous tome you sent me. What on earth do you think you could possible have in common with a 25-year-old woman, and who ever said anything about Obama, you ****ing racist piece of shit? Maybe you should take a course in reading comprehension, because you obviously lack this skill. Good luck spamming the state with your form letter and then responding to women solely to insult them; that will get you far. Are you really such a butt hurt crybaby that I didn't respond more enthusiastically to your creepy and predatory advances? Grow the **** up.

*For the curious, I'm undecided and leaning toward voting for Gary Johnson, the libertarian candidate this fall.*
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
Bizarro response
Posted: 8/18/2012 6:29:10 AM
am curious what your theories may be for the reason behind it. I apologize for this being such a long exchange

He did get a long response from a young sassy-snarky fairly attractive belly-dancer girl with his mostly form letter,
and being 14 or 75yrs old and obese that is such a rarity for him IRL especially getting away with making sexually suggestive references to body parts.
Could be enough to keep him giggling under the sheets for a month or more..

Naw, I only made it cuz I was (understandably) ticked.

VVV Yeah, we believe you. He got your goat, and you provided him enough response to his anatomical suggestions that he may be good to go another month or so, then he will find another young girl "profile" with pictures he can "meditate" to and try to get a response from...
 FireMon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Bizarro response
Posted: 8/18/2012 6:35:47 AM
Naw, I only made it cuz I was (understandably) ticked.
 E_keys
Msg: 4
Bizarro response
Posted: 8/18/2012 6:36:35 AM
You chased him down from another account to get the last snarky word?

If you're that excited about your online persona, fret not. You can do this a whole bunch more times on here.
 FireMon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Bizarro response
Posted: 8/18/2012 6:50:58 AM
Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses. It's good to know that receiving consistently harassing messages (pretty much daily) is something I should accept as normal and learn that I exist for others' enjoyment, so I should just shut my mouth and take it lying down. You sure sound like winners, yourselves.
 TC2u
Msg: 6
Bizarro response
Posted: 8/18/2012 7:00:12 AM
lol, It was a long 3 minutes... but you probably deserve each other.
 laskoboo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Bizarro response
Posted: 8/18/2012 7:04:08 AM

It's good to know that receiving consistently harassing messages (pretty much daily) is something I should accept as normal

yes it is normal on dating sites to get crazy responses ( esp a free site) that vary from psycho to rude... no matter what you write, but your profile will get even more.

I have a tip... get a better profile or get used to these kinds of emails. The object of internet dating is to MEET in person, not exchange a bunch of messages.
You write a profile to attract who you would like to meet... interview them with some well thought out questions to determine IF YOU WANT TO MEET and if not, you blow them off and move on.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Bizarro response
Posted: 8/18/2012 7:51:14 AM

I got a bizarro response from an otherwise friendly exchange and am curious what your theories may be for the reason behind it. I apologize for this being such a long exchange that might take you a whole 3 minutes to read. /snark

First off, I read the whole exchange, and I did not conclude as you did, that there was anything at all "bizarro" about it.

You put on a front of being snarky, he put on a front of being snarky, your snarkinesses weren't attractive to each other, so he blocked you. Nothing special involved at all.

Then this:

It's good to know that receiving consistently harassing messages (pretty much daily) is something I should accept as normal and learn that I exist for others' enjoyment, so I should just shut my mouth and take it lying down. You sure sound like winners, yourselves.

You didn't say that you were "receiving consistently harassing messages (pretty much daily) " in your opening post, or even mention it until this point. Make up your mind about the subject matter, please.

If your actual problem is that you DO get too many such messages, then it's time for you to learn to use the block feature yourself. That, or yes, accept that when you make it your 'style' to be a shove-it-if-you-don't-adore-me kind of person, that you will indeed set more people off, and they will let you know you did. I always thought that that was indeed, the reason why people choose that approach.

No, I do NOT support the notion that because you want to be 'polyamorous,' that you should expect and accept abuse. Just that if you do decide to dish it out, that you shouldn't complain when it gets returned in like kin
 FairOaksChick
Msg: 9
Bizarro response
Posted: 8/18/2012 9:01:22 AM

Sweetheart... Don't you think you're just a little too plain looking to have developed such an attitude?

Men are only going to tolerate that behavior from the most gorgeous women on POF... and sadly, you do not qualify.

NEWSFLASH: You receive harassing messages because you sound like a complete b1tch. Everything I've read and seen so far suggests that you are highly conceited, and have an over-inflated sense of self worth. Even most of the posters in this thread lipped you off due to your sh1tty attitude.

Agree completely. OP, you ought to have the words "look at me!" tattooed on your forehead. You are really not all that.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Bizarro response