Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Are women with crappy cars a turn off?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cquillin444
Msg: 1
Are women with crappy cars a turn off?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I know it may sound shallow but Im deep down self concious about my car. I drive a 91 Corolla. Its got some rust around the wheels and a mismatched gas cap lol. From a mans standpoint, would you judge me if I pulled up for a first date in it? Or does it even matter? This may be an incredibly stupid question but I want some opinions!
 MsGirlyMuscle
Msg: 2
Are women with crappy cars a turn off?
Posted: 8/20/2012 2:36:05 AM
Who cares what any man thinks about the car you drive. Hell, half these people, men & women both stand next to cars that do not belong to them. As if it makes them look like on line hotties with a cool ride. I drive a 2001 Pickup. It looks great because I have taken care of it and it is paid off. I just do not want the car payment !!! Do I care what these people think? No ! I am not the one living back with Mama because I ran out to finance a vehicle I cannot afford ! And I prefer older vehicles , as they require a lot less $$ to repair in some cases.

It is not a stupid question , there are some people overly concerned about material things. And this is a good way to find out. Just do not be like posers on here standing next to cars that are not yours . I have sadly met a few of those. I have more respect for someone just saying what they drive. A guy who doesn't take on a 400 $ or more car payment has more respect from me than the guy who has one and really cannot swing it !
 vestaceres
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/20/2012 3:02:22 AM
Your date, ideally, should be taking care of you, while you're out with him. If he judges you based on what you drive, then he is not worth YOUR time and effort. After all, he invited you out; the onus is on him to treat you with the utmost respect.
 realk3000
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/20/2012 3:07:04 AM
No, especially since you are still very young.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/20/2012 3:41:46 AM
It's a car. As long as it can get you where you need to be and is clean, who cares ?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2012 4:11:24 AM
Generally, the reputation of people is, that women supposedly put much more concern into what car the guy drives than vice versa. All I know from the guy side is, that though I never cared at any time in my life how old or corroded or even how well a woman's car ran, that I have been somewhat sensitive to how she keeps it on the interior.

My own car is usually a mess, because I work in it ten hours a day every day, so my standards are not all that high, but basically I would only take note of your car being a sign of problems with you, if I had to bring a plastic sheet with me every time I wanted to get into it.

If anything, especially when I was younger, a woman with a car in need of work, was an opportunity for the guy to step up and "be a guy."
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/20/2012 4:58:30 AM
for you, it's probably just the opposite. what you have there is a dude magnet. "omg my car is doing this" or "omg it is not doing that". open the hood and just stand there looking concerned and a lil' helpless. poke at stuff randomly and wiggle some wires. you just gave a guy a good reason to ingratiate himself to a young woman and solve a problem at the same time. they will love it.
 windchymes
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2012 5:11:51 AM
If he does judge you negatively on the car you drive, consider that a cheap and easy way to eliminate one more loser from your dating pool.
 Paderic
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/20/2012 5:29:20 AM
My daily driver is nothing to write home about, and I'm probably older than your father. However, there is something else I don't have - a car payment. And I like it that way.
 laskoboo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2012 5:51:01 AM
Years ago, I owned a very $$$$ sports car, that was also an antique in mint condition.
It was left to me by someone who passed away.

Owned it about 2 years, only drove it on sundays now and then... till I decided what t do with it.
Sure was a awesome looking car !!!
The thing I learned is people admire and desire cars like this and it is far more responsibility than any
normal car. People would steal parts off it if left outdoors, had to be garaged. etc...

anyway... I had people try to get close to my kids to get closer to the car... people cme to the door asking to
buy and test drive it... people follow me down the road to look at it....

how annoying.
I put it up for sale and no one had the money ( $$$) but wanted to test drive it... so it was hard to sell to, but finally someone did and gave me what I asked.

What people drive matters to many. it's a shallow world out there and if your ride is noce enough, they may even hurt you for it.
Now I drive average cars... no more of that.
I do believe to most it matters, even though they do not admit it, they judge you by what you drive.

I like to say I am driving an average car, chances are I do not have anything, find someone else to follow...
make friends with... I am holding nothing for your use or easy access.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/20/2012 6:26:36 AM
As long as the inside is clean in case I need to ride in it, I'm not too concerned about the outside appearance. If some guy rolled up in a P.O.S. car, opened the door and beer cans and a month's worth of fast food containers fell out, we'd have a problem.
 Portlanderr
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/20/2012 7:33:58 AM
I've never had a man refuse to date me because of what I drive. I drive a five year old, middle of the road, decent reliable car, which is important to me. It's clean inside, although I don't obsess over it. The only comment any man has made about my car is it has some scratches on it that I hadn't noticed. (Shrug)

As far as what a man drives for a car, I don't care as long as it's relatively clean inside. I dated a man for a few months who owned a truck, he really used the truck too, but he kept it in good condition, I think it was about 9 years old. When we first started dating he thought a woman wouldn't like going out on a date using his truck, didn't bother me at all, especially since I live in Maine, and his big ole 4 wheel drive truck came in handy when it was snowing out.

I had a date with a man several months ago, as we were saying goodbye in the parking lot, I stopped briefly at his car, he opened the door to get something for me (his business card I think), and the inside of the car was filthy . . . dusty and dirty, not so much with trash, it just needed a good scrubbing. I never saw him again because there was no attraction to him, not sure if his dirty car would have been a deal breaker.

MundusViator - I really laughed out loud reading your post! Too funny!
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/20/2012 8:18:46 AM
For some men yes.

Keep in mind these are SHALLOW men.

Do you really want a shallow man?
I know I don't.

I once showed up to a meet and greet in my car.
I didn't wash it.
But then I live on a dirt road and don't make a point of washing my car on a daily basis.
Let alone if I go to a meet and greet.

Helps me weed out the men that I DON'T want.
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/20/2012 9:07:20 AM
I would say just about everyman out there started out with a peice of scrap metal....it was a place where many memories were created ,oh ya kids too....Ala "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"....

Too cute...pretty lady pulling up in a junker....that would have put a smile on many a mans face back when...now I'm not so sure with "some" of the younger guys....
 carolann0308
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2012 9:14:07 AM
You are very young, if you drove a brand new car I would automatically assume it had been given to you.
As long as it is clean, I don't see how it really differs from the cars of most teenagers.
 Janet_Always
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/20/2012 9:29:58 AM
The first smile you flash their way will make them forget your name, your car, and any pertinent information they should have remembered up to this point.

Relax.
 OutMind
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/20/2012 10:11:43 AM
Yes, anything less than a Lonbarginni is crap. Now if they drive a Ferrari, I don't like them because they are too bossy and that is a manly car.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/20/2012 10:53:23 AM
its not so much the car..(as long as i dont have to buy her a new one) lol..but more so on how she takes care of it..i once went out with this hottie..who had all kinds of fast food wrappers and junk both in the back seat and the trunk was a total mess...grossed me out..and needless to say , i dumped her.
 lotustemple
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/20/2012 12:04:50 PM
Depends on where you live. Some big cities like the entire greater Los Angeles area you might as well make payments on a better vehicle or be continually judged and looked down upon. At your age that kind of pressure is hard to deflect. Columbus Ohio? Don't know, people could be less materialistic there. This should be common knowledge, ask around.

If I were you on a limited budget I would get an older car in great shape and keep it up well.
 OutMind
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/20/2012 12:13:04 PM

^^^^^ Ha!!!!!!!! What the heck is a "Lonbarginni"? :) :) :) :)

"Lamborghini" a type of Italian car driven by people arrogant enough to not go around with a spell checker.

;-)
 betteroffsingle
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/20/2012 1:57:53 PM
Doesn't matter to me as long as the interior is well kept. I hate riding in a car that is filthy inside.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/20/2012 2:53:52 PM
The crappier your car is....
the better.
Just makes mine seem all that much cooler.
:-P
 Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2012 4:22:45 PM
Yup, absolutely!!

I think what you drive is a refection of your success in your personal life and your personality in general.

If you drive a beater, I will judge you as lacking taste, style, finances, or some other weakness that stifles your success.........

Call me superficial if you want, but it is a criteria on which I judge, as is the type of clothes you wear, and the home you live in.

FWIW, I own several cars and trucks. None of which are beaters, and they are DEFINITELY an exension of my personality.........I expect the same in a mate.
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/20/2012 4:42:03 PM
^^^^^^^Don't you mean an extension of your penis....just joking couldn't let that one go ....

Random_geek_01
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/20/2012 4:43:52 PM
A magic Lamborghini :)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Are women with crappy cars a turn off?