Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > People who use online dating due to lack of time      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 3
People who use online dating due to lack of timePage 1 of 1    
The internet cuts down on the time wasted on trying to meet someone in real life.
In that you can go to a bar or someplace and try to meet someone.
Hang out. Try to speak to someone there.
Go some where else to flirt if that fails.

In here....if a message is replied to.....you got your opening.
You didn't even have to leave home.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 4
People who use online dating due to lack of time
Posted: 8/24/2012 7:19:16 PM
There's always exceptions, but if someone wants to see you again but either won't commit to a date or lines one up 10 days in the future, consider how available that person really is?

If their dating but not serious, fine, but relationship? No thanks.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/24/2012 7:20:09 PM
Hell, if she drives from out of town to have a drink at your place, that means no gas spent!
 LGG62
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/26/2012 10:00:34 PM
Online, you can send a message and receive/reply at your leisure. You don't have to be in the right place at the right time. It's like being in a pickup joint 24/7, without having to take time to shower and get ready, drive to the location, hang out a few hours, etc. Also, those that have children can be on the computer at home without having to find a sitter, like they would have to if they were going out to look for someone. You can look for someone online whenever it's convenient for you, every day if you want, whether you have hours to look or only five minutes. Out in the real world, it takes a lot more time, and most people don't/can't do that every single day. It takes a lot more time to find someone to date than it takes to actually date that person.
 LGG62
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/26/2012 10:16:27 PM
Why Oh Why, it seems you are saying that people online are using it as their only avenue for meeting people so they can fool themselves into thinking they are desireable. While there are people who do, that's not true for everyone. For me personally, I have several avenues to meet people, and online is only one of them. I have an active social life with friends where I could meet someone while out. I belong to social interest groups that are not for dating, per se, but it's possible to meet someone with a common interest. I volunteer, I take classes in subjects that interest me, etc. I may not always expend a lot of energy in searching online, but I do like it for the reasons I listed in my previous post. Simply, I don't have to be in the right place at the right time to meet that person. IRL, I do. If you are looking for a relationship, why not utilize all the tools that are there for you?
 femaleconnection
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/27/2012 9:57:15 AM
I think what they mean is, they dont have time to hang at bars and other traditional places in hopes of meeting someone, but they will go out meet someone who has caught thier eye through this medium. Least that was how I meant it when I was looking online for dates. I was never a bar lady so this was a great option for me.
 psytle
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 11:55:53 AM
It could also be that their "off work" times are not anywhere close to traditional off work times.

A former friend of mine worked graveyard (1900-300) shifts Wednesday-Sunday. Needless to say that traditional venues like bars and clubs were not the most convenient for her.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > People who use online dating due to lack of time