Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > MOST HATED RESPONSE--'Are You Into Younger Guys?'      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jenneee
Msg: 1
MOST HATED RESPONSE--'Are You Into Younger Guys?'Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I try to be open-minded when selecting the age range of men in the search option of this site. I am in my mid-40s, so I go 10 years either older or younger, that is 30-something to age 55. When I get a response to a message here from a younger man, he often says 'Are you into younger guys?'

I don't know about the rest of you, but that line immediately makes me fell like some sort of predator, or "Couger." Does anyone else here get those kind of responses? What do you say in return?
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 2
MOST HATED RESPONSE--'Are You Into Younger Guys?'
Posted: 8/25/2012 5:06:11 AM
You control the age range of the males that contact you. I am not going to have a lot of sympathy for this whine fest you are pitching when you are 46 and your age ranges to contact you is

Age between 28 and 40.

Sorry Miss Cougar that dog wont hunt. You are getting just what you deserve I would say. You dont even allow men within five years of your own age contact you and the lower end is almost TWENTY YEARS below your age.

Good Luck with that sweetie. I mean maybe just MAYBE you are really bad at math and you thought that was plus or minus ten years huh? I hear cougars are not real good at math btw... (wink)

Cowboy
 Pinky127
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/25/2012 5:13:48 AM
Cowboy is right......

that is 30-something to age 55.

Yet you have your Mail Settings 28-40!

And Op,this Subject has been done to death in the Forums.
 scottey63
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 5:32:01 AM
I'm not the best at math, but since you're 46, your age range selection of "Age 28 to 40" is not "10 years either older or younger". That's exclusively looking for younger guys. And at 46, being willing to date a 28 year old guy and only looking to date younger guys does make you something of a cougar. So why does feeling like one bother you?

And other than it being a stupid question, since you obviously are into younger guys, I don't know why you would object to being asked if you're into younger guys.
 pinkkpeony
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/25/2012 5:45:17 AM

What do you say in return?

A drippingly sensual, yes?
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/25/2012 6:03:03 AM
Funny, I was at a Red Hat lunch this week. Most of the ladies were 50-65 in age, but we had 2 older ones, 90 and 93 years old. God Bless them! They use the same podiatrist as myself & a couple of the other ladies, & the 93 year old said that he comes to her house once every 9 weeks to work on her feet. She then said he is sooo nice & good looking & young- 50 years old! The other lady who was 90 said what are u a cougar, then a 60 something woman said: "when u get to a certain age, you are a TURKEY BUZZARD!"

I could deal w/ a man a few years younger, but hell no, I won't be a turkey buzzard!

I hate getting young men asking for sex...
 authenticoutlook
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/25/2012 6:14:21 AM
^^^^^ A turkey buzzard??? OMFG - My morning coffee nearly came out my nose!

I forgot what I was gonna post..... and I don't care..... LOL

a f^ckin turkey buzzard...... ohhhhh my god bwahahahahha... I gotta sign off.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/25/2012 6:19:01 AM
that's a lot of whining when you ask for it- 28 year olds

that's a lot of whining when you can just block them or change your age settings
 phoenix_55
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/25/2012 6:55:37 AM
I'm 57 and got a message not ten minutes ago from a 22-year-old guy asking me that exact question. I respond as I always do ... "I've raised all the kids I'm going to raise."

That shuts them down pretty quick ;)
 Whisky_River
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/25/2012 7:08:51 AM
Obviously, an attention seeking troll post...she still hasn't changed her settings...rolls eyes!!
Plus receiving a "response" ....means you must have sent them a message first.
 nativerock
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/25/2012 7:16:07 AM
I do like to date younger men but never get that kind of comment.. However by younger I do mean 8-10 years younger not 20.. Also they are the ones that invite me out and not the opposite way around. I am no predator..

I am just as happy dating a man around my own age presuming he is still active and enjoys some of the sports I do..

Namaste
nativerock
 Welsh474
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/25/2012 7:47:45 AM
My response to those types of emails is always "I've learned, never send a boy to do a man's job".

And OP, if your settings are correct you are looking for guys you are old enough to have given birth to. My thing is, no one young enough to have come out of me is going to get into me. Maybe you should rethink your age parameters - you've set yourself up to be a true cougar.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/25/2012 7:50:51 AM
I don't have an age range on my profile for a couple of reasons. Primarily due to my forum usage but also, because I would prefer someone close to my own age but a narrow mail setting means someone just a year out of whatever range I select will be blocked from making contact.

Certainly this means I get lots of messages from men in their 20's and some from men in their 60's and older but I tend to user my Inbox to sort through those who I feel would and would not be a match. Getting messages from the extremes of my preference just means those are easy to eliminate. It's not such an inconvenience to do it this way.
 bekind212
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/25/2012 8:10:31 AM
Yeah, looking at the OP's profile, all I can say is Duh. What did you expect? And how can you "hate" the question if that is what you set your settings for?

I don't have age restrictions on my profile. You never know what wonderful person will arrive in a package you didn't expect. On previous profiles I've had on here, I did have age limits, but there are always exceptions and I don't want to limit meeting people.

I don't use the word "cougar." It's a way to judge someone for who they choose to spend their time with, and whose business is that of anyone else? It's hard enough finding someone you enjoy being with, without having judgment thrown at you.
 SpeedracerSmith
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/25/2012 8:23:59 AM
Bekind: I don't use the word cougar either...nor do I use the phrase "dirty old man", since there isn't a word to describe men over 50 wanting to date 25 year olds. If that's what one wants to do, it's not our place to call them names. I don't want to be called an old maid or spinster because I don't date..LOL

I hate when guys write me and as "are you into younger guys?", "do you date black men?", 'do you like asian men"...etc. Why don't they just say hello and see what happens?
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/25/2012 8:25:35 AM
Your profile states loud and clear that you are looking for IE from younger guys. I find it amusing that the only restriction on your profile is for guys looking for chat or e-mail. Of course, what would two people 20 years apart have to talk about. Seeing how young and immature they are would be a turn off so you skip the chat and e-mails.
 Scottisgood
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 8:43:33 AM
Op

Sounds like your a let live kind of person. Personally I think those that make those comments are a bit inmature. Age is relitive so just go for it!!
 Whisky_River
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/25/2012 9:29:43 AM

Sounds like your a let live kind of person. Personally I think those that make those comments are a bit inmature

If she has no problem with dating younger men...then the answer should just be a sounding..."yes"...No need to start a thread about it...imo...
 tygerpawn
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/25/2012 10:17:37 AM
What do I say in return? ummm Trollllllll
 mjseek
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/25/2012 11:42:48 AM
I am amuse by some of the responses that goes like this; this thread has already been done to death, and calling the Op a troll. If you had already responded to a post like this, why inject that into the discussion...when it's just as easy to move on to the next thread. Not everyone spends their waking hour in the forum section (it is a dating site after-all) and if you do...well that would just down right negative of me to say. So if you're the type that is lurking under the "Forum Bridge" waiting to pounce on fresh meat...then it is you my friend who is in fact the TROLL!

As to the OP question: Why would you be offended by something you created? Change your age setting, and expand your word characters when someone try to contact you.

Life is not complicated we just make it complicated!
 Giggles10000
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/25/2012 12:07:34 PM
--First when a younger man responds with "Are you into younger guys?' he is basically calling you on what you are asking (without saying in your initial email)--he is meaning it in are you desperate enough way--it isnt a compliment it is meant as an insult. It means he wants to hit it and quit it.

How you feel about that is strictly up to you and your own self-esteem--some women about your age are desperate enough and need the anti-aging ego salve of a younger man using them to convince themselves they still have it. They don't really, since basically younger men find these women just easy to get into bed --now again if that is what you want then go for it.

It is completely different than an initial response from a younger guy who sends it asking but then again it is the same as asking if you are into Black or Asian men-- It is a cut to the chase type of question cause they basically do not think you are worth the chase and don't want to waste their time and effort for nothing.

There is nothing wrong with anything you choose to do unless you are trying to make it seem like you are the victim or not understanding what exactly your ACTIONS are telling others about you--if you don't care what others think then do what you want and dont worry about it.

As far as replying to a younger man's initial message asking me if I am into younger guys-- it depends on my mood--sometimes I tell them I just checked and they are friends with my daughters on facebook and now all their friends are going to be laughing at him for hitting on her mom --but even that is time consuming and they keep writing so now I just delete the email and if they write again Ill block them.

Seriously what is the point of a reply--it wasnt a compliment to start with it was more of a "throw enough shit against a wall and hope it sticks on something" --do you really think you are the only one who got that message?
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 12:56:48 PM

it isnt a compliment it is meant as an insult

actually it's meant as an interactional inquiry. of course, if someone really wants to feel offended, more power to her. just like the guys who get all insulted when they get the first messages from fat girls. how dare these women ask for what they want?

I don't have an age range on my profile for a couple of reasons. Primarily due to my forum usage but also, because I would prefer someone close to my own age but a narrow mail setting means someone just a year out of whatever range I select will be blocked from making contact.

see, now this makes sense, but the funny thing it brings to mind is that so many people look at age ranges so ready to make wild leaps of interpretation. as in 'oh, if she's 45 and has 25 as a lower age range, she must be a cougar/perv/pedophile/slut/bolshevik/whatever,' while having no age range at all opens the door for even younger people while not tweaking anyone's rage and terror.
 Welsh474
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/25/2012 1:05:56 PM
"actually it's meant as an interactional inquiry. of course, if someone really wants to feel offended, more power to her. just like the guys who get all insulted when they get the first messages from fat girls. how dare these women ask for what they want?"

Absofrickinlutely. You hit the nail on the head. It is in no way an insult - a young guy is just out there asking a question, looking for what HE wants. No harm/no foul. Chances are he will get no response, deleted, blocked BUT a few might say "yes" and that's all he's hoping for.

And I agree with your analogy regarding fat girls. And it works the same way every time we're contacted by someone that we don't find appropriate for our tastes.

So, I reply with humour (if I bother to reply at all). I have no age setting in my contact section because I leave it open for forum contact and because I do so, it's up to me not to get my knickers in a twist because some young stud contacts me.

The OP needs to reset her age paramaters and other folks need to lighten up.
 bekind212
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/25/2012 2:19:19 PM
I got a message from a 28 year-old man last night. He just said hello, and I said, "Tyler, you are fishing in the deep end of the pond!" He thought it was funny, too.

I think having a sense of humor is crucial. Yep, it's just a question, and people usually ask those questions because it's less traumatic to throw the question out there than approach someone and get rejected. Some younger men ARE attracted to older women, and I have had a couple of younger male friends who were mature enough mentally for me to want to spend time with. One of them I consistently talk to and hang out with once in a while, but we are just friends. Still, I appreciate being able to relate to more people than just a small age-range. There are interesting people everywhere at every age.

I agree with Welsh474 - it's not a big deal. And for those who ask if I would date a man of a different ethnic background, they are asking for good reason. I'm sure some, if they just e-mailed with interest and didn't ask, would get some harsh replies from the "purist" set who think that ethnicity determines worth.
 tuloa942
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/25/2012 5:40:01 PM
I kind of wish I were attracted to younger men. I have some of the best conversations with young men in their 20s, more so than any conversation I've had lately with men (or women) closer to my own age.

I go to the local Subway about once a week. I have ended up in great conversations with them in between customers. It happened again tonight. One was getting off of work and we started talking, he ended up staying about 1/2 hour and we talked of many things, family, a little politics, books, movies, video games and so on.

But... date someone that young? Ewwwww. I think the youngest I could even consider would be 10 years but I'd really prefer someone within a few years of my age.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > MOST HATED RESPONSE--'Are You Into Younger Guys?'