Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > IS THE WORD FIT SCARING THE BEEJEEBERS OUT OF ANYONE ELSE?????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
IS THE WORD FIT SCARING THE BEEJEEBERS OUT OF ANYONE ELSE?????Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Maybe we don't fit then. Personally, I feel that DEAD is a much scarier word than "fit".

At our age, IF someone does not make healthy lifestyle and reasonable fitness a priority,
then they likely will die relatively soon of degenerative diseases or eventually turn into Jabba du Hut before dying.

Remember the rule of thumb that every extra pound that you haul around, removes about one full YEAR of your possible lifespan. Soo, still think that those extra ten pounds are harmless??
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
IS THE WORD FIT SCARING THE BEEJEEBERS OUT OF ANYONE ELSE?????
Posted: 8/25/2012 8:54:07 AM
It doesn't bother me as much as it apparently does you, no doubt because my philosophical approach to all of this contains fewer expectations of reward, but I do see the same thing that you do.

I don't think it's important. What I find i most common, is that since I am myself more attracted to fairly "fit" people, that I will logically be much more likely to in turn, see a larger number of profiles which mention it as one of THEIR concerns.

As for your secondary item, that some people seem to think it's a rational act to write to someone they are NOT attracted to, to inform them about how defective they find them to be, I'm 100% on your side. In a perfect world, that act would be considered an indication of insanity, worthy of attention from appropriate authorities.
 Maleman999
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/25/2012 8:58:59 AM
Translation:
Guys who say they are looking for a fit woman: a woman who isn't fat
Women who say it: a guy who doesn't have a beer belly, and whose idea of weight lifting isn't just lifting the bottle of beer or TV remote.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/25/2012 9:14:51 AM
I am not fat, my weight is in the teens making me less than 10 lbs overweight......the man that said that to me said it in person......on a first meeting......really freaked me out

Soo, I bet that you remember his name, instead of forgetting like those 5 guys that just paid you a standard compliment?
Likely it was his way of getting the attention of an attractive woman with a "neg", so you see how it "worked" for him?
 Alyosha
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/25/2012 9:40:16 AM
Certainly you're not alone in my books. One wonders what their criterion is: fit to join me in climbing Mt. Everest? Fit to make love with me all night long?
 CuttersLullaby
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/25/2012 9:49:32 AM
What scares me is when people say they are fit and you can clearly see they must not own a mirror or have friends.

You appear fine. Whoever said that to you was possibly drunk or high. There are some very delusional men on here. Overweight as hell, and want a fit woman.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/25/2012 10:33:52 AM
First off im 25lb over weight. But I do a lot of hiking and other outdoor activities.. I see i allot of those so called FIT people who can't walk up a hill with out almost passing out. When I see the word fit I think of someone who is not over weight. Which most of the the time has nothing to do with being active or how good of a shape you are in. Some people are just naturly thinner then others. If you don't consider looks but for health only. Being 5-10lb extra is actualy healthier then being very skinny. If you get sick or hurt your body can go on longer with less food.
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 10:35:17 AM
I had a friend who was very fit, but he was hit by a truck while riding his motorcycle.....You can be as fit as you want...but , when your number is up , it just doesn't matter!
 windchymes
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 11:48:59 AM
The word or expectation doesn't scare me at all. It just tells me that the person listing it in his profile is very concerned with physical appearance. His and yours.

Of course, some of them have shirtless torso pics posted that make me think that if they suck in any harder, their head is going to explode, lol.
 Paderic
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/25/2012 1:06:05 PM
I am a pretty "fit" guy and I have always been attracted to women who are also "fit." To me, fitness is about more than just weight or appearance. It's about being capable of engaging in physically demanding activities.

A lot of people who like to say they are fit aren't really fit, male and female alike.

It's a matter of preference, if you're not fit enough for someone just move on and find someone who thinks otherwise. I'm not going to apologize for my preferences, I don't expect anyone else to either.
 JustMary65
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/25/2012 2:01:34 PM
OP-

I am a large woman and most men who view my profile are often seeking 'fit' woman. I just laugh. You are clearly a very attractive lady. Most people I know prefer people who not only look good but take care of themselves...but sometimes what you see doesn't always reflect how hard some of us try to be as healthy as we are able to do.

None the less, eventually you will find the right person. If I let the very callous and unsolicited comments of past dates or even potential dates impact my self worth I'd be in a padded cell some where 'boo hooing' it. I have always told my kids, not everyone is going to like you....so what....so long as you like yourself that is all that matters.

Being made to feel inferior only works when you let it. I like me and I'm wise enough to know I am not going to have a lot of suitors, the one who does is because he really is interested in me. It does happen because I met that man and have dated him for over 8 yrs. :)

Smile my dear...you are a beautiful person and the right man will see that.
 oh_hell
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/25/2012 5:26:54 PM

"FIT" is in the eye of the beholder. What's fit to me, may be outta shape to someone else. Don't over think it.
Kinda like "a few extra pounds", I've seen that term used by people 200+ pounds overweight. Guess it boils down to who's writing the profile and who's reading them. We all see things in our own way.

This, a million times.

There are so many of these qualitative wishy-washy words that people throw around. And they use them for the precise reason that they are qualitative wishy-washy words. As you read more profiles you learn to recognize them and disregard them completely, because they tell you precisely****
 DeGuise
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 6:05:04 PM
My 84 year old father is more fit than half the "fit" profiles out here and can probably walk further and faster, but he is not getting any date offers. I am more concerned about your mental fitness and your ability to hold an intelligent conversation that does not involve your ex, a rotten childhood or the huge injustice you have recently suffered.

I know you love your grandchildren, and they are all cute and talented, and they take priority over any new guy in your life, but I am interested in you. Same applies to children. You love yours, I love mine and they are huge parts of our lives, but I am sharing a glass of wine with you, they are out on their own dates.
 Paderic
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/25/2012 7:54:33 PM

Hell, most men will say they are fit even when they are not. Average when they are at least a few pounds overweight.
Men cant afford to be fussy when they are on dating sites and more fool them, they will end up alone. They could well be must playing around and/or married. DOnt take any of it too seriously. If they were all that, they would not be here.

You know, the same could be said about the women on this site...
 lexismom
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/25/2012 8:31:26 PM
Agree...and, not to sound judgemental but, some of the ones who say "fit" are not lookin too "fit" in my opinion....I have gained some, and men do NOT look at my like when I am about 20 pounds heavier. I know, I know, men are visual. We are too..................
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/25/2012 9:54:59 PM
First of all, the guy was an azz, you look fine as you are.

Now on to the fit etc comment.

1. I notice many that give themselves the rating of athelic builds, sure don't look like it from their pictures. Hate to tell you this, but guys with athletic builds don't have beer bellies. So many who are looking for a "fit" woman and judging, should look in the mirror first.

2. I am overweight and working on it, gained a lot of weight after a serious injury few years ago. That being said, I am in better shape the many people many my age, work out at the gym 3 times a week, swim the days that I don't work out (use to do them both everyday, but blew out the good knee by overdoing it) and walk a minimum of 5 K everyday. So I see fit as a very subjective thing. I am fit, but most would not think so because I still need to lose more weight.

3. When I see looking for a "fit" woman on a profile, to me it means skinny not fit.
 aussieblues
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 10:07:28 PM
How many are 'fit' to even date if this is what is valued over other aspects of getting to know someone?
 AtlantaManInAtlanta
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/26/2012 1:14:35 AM
Fit zombies are scarier than unfit zombies.
 vestaceres
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/26/2012 2:53:16 AM
If somebody told me what your date had told you, believe me, I'd find something very cutting to offer in return (and there usually is enough to criticize, because people who do this are not fit of the mind), smile, and leave.
 Walts
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/26/2012 7:04:42 AM
Fit? How about healthy...

Orrrrr, " I'm not sooooo bad for the shape I'm in"??????

2012raconteur
Msg: 56
Posted: 8/26/2012 8:02:15 AM
Given women now lie through euphemisms (a few extra pounds and average weight) several women who posted head shots only to discover they weighed over 160-200 lbs I suspect some men do the same but they are not my preference. I ask for body photos that are also recent as to help men who are visually oriented to get an accurate visual representation .Its very disappointing to be confronted with a person who has lied about their appearance and makes one wonder what else is being misrepresented . There are men who prefer women who are voluptuous but should best describe themselves as such thereby increasing mutual attraction.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/26/2012 9:01:50 AM
Nope. Not scary at all. Just self selecting. There's a certain percentage of the population the needs and adores activity. Genetically, it's never been me (even when I was a skinny ten year old). I've never found much convo going on during hikes, etc. I'm big on conversation. Always was. I like a *fit* mind, and a *fit* soul. Willing to give a good deal on the fit body. Just me. Bless them for signaling: saves *everyone* time/energy/heart. . . .
 DarthPhoenix
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2012 10:24:59 AM
From what i've seen on pof you have women running around with key words like workout, volleyball etc in their profiles but it don't show in their pictures. All i see is facial shots, upper left or right angle shots, them hiding behind someone in a group pic or hiding behind something etc.......... If your fit then it should show in your profile. Not saying take pics that are bogus and slutty but if you are fit with a nice a shape then its nothing wrong with a classy picture to show what you are talking about. A few women do follow this but many and i do mean many women on this site are hiding in their pictures at the same time claiming to be FIT LOL!
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/26/2012 2:46:53 PM

Have you noticed how many men put 'average' as body shape that have belly's like Buddah?

Actually have notice a quite a few of the Buddah Bellies, have "athletic" as their body type, not quite sure how that works.

And congrats on the weight loss.
 DameWrite
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2012 3:01:36 PM
Fit people like to challenge their bodies. If you like to do the same, on a regular basis, then chances are you're fit too. If not, you're not.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > IS THE WORD FIT SCARING THE BEEJEEBERS OUT OF ANYONE ELSE?????