Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How would you respond? Am I finally POF paranoid?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
How would you respond? Am I finally POF paranoid?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Ask a woman to basically plead for your attention...like seeking a job? Woman, would you have responded at all, or just hit delete? In the end he wished me well. It's just about the strangest POF emails I have received. Any thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks.

If you want my response, you have to prove yourself worthy by listing all the reasons that you are better than the 1500 other women in our demographic online in your area FIRST...

In our demographic, the ladies are about 3-1 so us amazingly all that guys have to be careful just who we associate with..

When responses are about 5% overall, some people seem to resort to almost anything to try to hook into anothers self-esteem issues, hook their curiosity and try any PUA tactics they may have read about in their adolescence..

VVVV
I'm obviously a little naive. And still care what others think. I need to work on that.

Just need to refine it some, to only care what your "loved ones" and "best local friends" may think,
never waste an iota of emotion on any anonymous online juvenile mouse striving for crumbs of email attention...
 packagedealx3
Msg: 5
view profile
History
How would you respond? Am I finally POF paranoid?
Posted: 8/26/2012 2:28:17 PM
Is this really different than any other mail? Answering the guy's question wouldn't have provided him with information you didn't want to give at this stage so yah I'd go with a little bit paranoid and that's supposedly why testimonials are there, to allow someone to see you through someone else's eyes and acquaintance.

Guy was a smartass and didn't divulge information, doesn't make him a crazy whackjob but he obviously rubbed you the wrong way so who cares?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2012 2:43:33 PM
Did he really spell site, "sight?" That would have been enough to make certain I wouldn't respond. Aside from his being a guy, I mean.

It reads like the sort of cut and paste message that someone might concoct and send to EVERY female in his general vicinity, trying to both sound clever, and to get you to suck up to him at the same time.

Simple way to test if you ought to respond to any message:

Do you want to?

If not...
 daynadaze
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2012 2:44:58 PM
I wouldn't bother answering it but if I was so inclined, how could I possibly know how I'm different than all the other females here, I don't know any of them.
 OutMind
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/26/2012 2:57:07 PM

Hi, I enjoyed your profile. Please write back and tell me why you think you are different from all the other women on this sight. Please answer truthfully, no answer is 'wrong'.

Did you respond? Yes you did. Did it start a dialogue you wanting some answers, yes it did. So think its an awesome approach. I have used approaches similar to that one. And they got the conversation going very quickly. Some, of course, after some emails became defensive and I was called that I must be a player since I have been here since the beginning of times. But others evolve into a fun exchange that ended up in a date.

I am firm believer, and this applies to men as well as women. Well, of course if you are one of the super gorgeous men and women, then nothing apply to you, but for the rest this is very important: "differentiate or die."

To bad, it didn't work for you.
 Out_of_the_Ash
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2012 3:14:08 PM
Not sure how I would react to that.

Most of me thinks I would just****my eyebrow and delete/ignore. Depending on my mood, though, I could have any number of responses, also depending on the rest of their profile if I feel like looking.

That is irksome, though, regardless if they have a picture in their profile or not. As unfair as it might sound I would probably use their pictures as inspiration for how I feel and then respond accordingly.
 TRESemme1
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/26/2012 6:27:07 PM
He is either a Nigerian scammer trying to get money from you or a married guy looking for a discreet affair. Basically, don't talk to him any more because he is just bad news.
 meowkatt2012
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/26/2012 8:34:48 PM
I remember getting one that said. " tell me why I should date you" delete & go on.
 ladyc4
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/27/2012 2:47:27 PM
Well- why I'm different than all the other women on PoF is right there in my profile...nobody has to email me and ask for clarification...
I have, however, received emails that said-"you don't scare me". ( Yah I DID-or you wouldn't have needed to mention it -DOOD.)
Cindy O
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/27/2012 5:16:08 PM
Hmmmm

I'm not sure if I should use that tactic or not!!

Anyone know if it's copyrighted?

(It "did" get conversation going right?)

Now, mind you, I would have NO clue what to say when you reversed things. Maybe Shaktis idea of "how do you think I'm different"? <--That sure gets into game playing though hu?
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/27/2012 5:57:57 PM
Like he couldn’t just start out complimenting her like every other guy on PoF.

It doesnt work.

Being nice, off the hop, seems to create: distrust, resentment, and hostility in women of POF (from what Ive found).

Perhaps I'm jusy fugly; who knows.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2012 5:44:30 AM
I recently received a passive aggressive e-mail, responded when I normally don't. Another snarky mail, another response and then I chose to pretend he wasn't an azzhat, and the profile was immediately deleted, also blank.
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/28/2012 6:03:46 PM
Maybe the OP spelled "site" wrong,after all nit pickers,she did use "woman" in the wrong context towards the end of the second paragraph....just saying

And to the message first sent from the guy,apparently it did work to a certain extent as it did illicit a reply!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How would you respond? Am I finally POF paranoid?